Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

just got confirmation that the rendering is the final design. 

yesterday where UK and today is US preview presentation. A lot of people have seen the car

--

AM

ALDO:

yesterday where UK and today is US preview presentation. A lot of people have seen the car

exactly:::)))

Topspeed:

These ones look more promising in my opinion...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

pmarkow:

To be fair, that rendering isn't absolutely the final design. It has existed for several months now. It was done by someone on the McLaren forum. It's very accurate, but not perfectly so.

In fact, if you look at the pictures secretly taken, you'll notice that side skirt isnt even on the car.

It's more or less final, but the press shots and real car should look much better.

noone1:

Where do you see the official time? Someone who went to the event said 0-200 kph in under 7.5s. 

Same event, but from a person with better hearing than your one... Smiley

0-60 mph: 2.8s
    0-120 mph: 7.6s
    max: 212 mph

Impressive car, no doubt... 

Guess we'll find out. McLaren has never quoted 0 - 120 mph before. None of their press kits quote it. They always do 200 kph. 675 LT Coupe was already 7.9s for 0-200 kph.

RC:

0-200 kph in 7.5 seconds? Not even in your dreams. Smiley Yes, I am thinking straight line performance and let's be honest, nobody buys a 720 or GT2 RS specifically as a track car.

Actually, I know a few people who plan to make a 991 GT2 RS their track car (with lots of track miles per year).  I think the new model will be more suited than any previous GT2.  And since Porsche seems to be headed toward more turbocharging of their GT cars, this will become more common I would guess.  Maybe part of the reason for detuning the GT2 RS from 700hp was to improve track manners and longevity?

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    RC:

0-200 kph in 7.5 seconds? Not even in your dreams. Smiley Yes, I am thinking straight line performance and let's be honest, nobody buys a 720 or GT2 RS specifically as a track car.

Actually, I know a few people who plan to make a 991 GT2 RS their track car (with lots of track miles per year).  I think the new model will be more suited than any previous GT2.  And since Porsche seems to be headed toward more turbocharging of their GT cars, this will become more common I would guess.  Maybe part of the reason for detuning the GT2 RS from 700hp was to improve track manners and longevity?

I heard of engine issues (tech, cost, don't have a clue...) and that they are sticking to an improved version of the current 991.2 Turbo S engine instead or an engine tech based on this engine (whatever this means). The real world performance loss won't be huge since they adapted various other factors, incl. gearing and top speed but I just hope that didn't compromise too much if this is true.

Chassis will be close to GT3 RS with some improvements, incl. aero. So far, no manual planned.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Porsche needs something sexy to keep up with the competition. iterations of the 911 won't do.

911 is an icon certainly.....but we need a Porsche supercar (918 being hypercar) that can cope with the looks and tech of the lambos mclarens and Ferraris.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

Porsche needs something sexy to keep up with the competition. iterations of the 911 won't do.

911 is an icon certainly.....but we need a Porsche supercar (918 being hypercar) that can cope with the looks and tech of the lambos mclarens and Ferraris.

Why do you think I am driving now what I am driving? Smiley Smiley

--

intouch1:

Porsche screwed up big time with the 960 (Ferrari Fighter) schedule.

I have no choice but to shop around for different brands (Ferrari, McLaren) at the moment.

RC:
    intouch1:

Why do you think I am driving now what I am driving? Smiley Smiley

yes RC, that is the question. we have been wondering about that:::)))))

Boyko23:
    noone1:

Where do you see the official time? Someone who went to the event said 0-200 kph in under 7.5s. 

That may very well be its time, but i still doubt it since another LT got that same time.

http://www.germancarforum.com/threads/mclaren-675-lt.52855/page-9#post-801362

Look, this is the official statement of McLaren representative at the event last night. Of course you can take it with a grain of salt, because last time when we heard something impressive from McLaren ("fastest on any track" by Ron Dennis) we finished with enough laugh...

But, this car will be impressive, nevertheless. Keep in mind, that LT has to come later, so they have to keep something in their slaves...

kingjr9000:
    Boyko23:
    noone1:

That may very well be its time, but i still doubt it since another LT got that same time.

http://www.germancarforum.com/threads/mclaren-675-lt.52855/page-9#post-801362

Actually the LT time is faster, since it is 0-200kph (124.2mph), not 120mph

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Topspeed:

Looking good (in these two shots) Smiley

I'm not that sure of the front (actually any of the McLaren fronts). But that rear is sick. Those exhausts up there - delicious!!!

Boyko23:

Look, this is the official statement of McLaren representative at the event last night. Of course you can take it with a grain of salt, because last time when we heard something impressive from McLaren ("fastest on any track" by Ron Dennis) we finished with enough laugh...

But, this car will be impressive, nevertheless. Keep in mind, that LT has to come later, so they have to keep something in their slaves...

He also said the top speed was 112 mph in that same sentence according to someone who was there.

I'll stick with my gut and say he meant to say 0-124 mph. No one quotes 120 mph times, especially not the Europeans and never McLaren as far as I know.

In any case, the 720S on the new Pzeros in normal comfort spec is higher performance and quicker than the LT on Trofeo R.

impressive look from these photos, I am been invited to Japan have a peak preview Feb. 25th.  I hope its as good as they said..... will try to take some shots if I can......

Jean:
    intouch1:

Porsche screwed up big time with the 960 (Ferrari Fighter) schedule.

I have no choice but to shop around for different brands (Ferrari, McLaren) at the moment.

To be fair, it isn't their fault. It was too late to use a common platform for the Huracan/R8, so they need to wait until both will be based on the same platform as well. 

--

Another one:

I was very lucky indeed to go to the 720 preview and I can certainly confirm that this car has at least three or four huge changes over previous ones. It is certainly a complete new design. Its a new car. 
    Forget the 675LT - this will blow it away. It makes it look like a dinosaur and probably will make it look as about as fast as one as well.
    I was told by a main dealer that on a track in Italy it (the 720) beat the Porsche 918 lap time by 3 seconds and I have no reason to believe it was not true (on that particular track). Now we must consider its under one third of the price of the Porsche. 
    If that stat is true then that is utterly mind blowing. 
    For me its about the clever use of the power and how all of that extra torque cuts in way way down the rev range. Then combine that with the lower weight, huge increase in downforce, and very very clever aerodynamics, and that starts to show why its going to be fast - very very fast. As you guys that race know - its not all about brute bhp - its got a great deal to do with delivery of that and then how much of that you can put down on the track without the car losing its handling and grip. 
    Its in this area that the 720 probably beats just about any other road car and for me it lived up to its hype. 
    MCL have been very clever with this design and used the phrase "form following function" several times. The new styling is great - it is more aggressive but its all been driven by a functional need - and not just made to look pretty for the fun of it.
    My very best mate, Urs Tschudin (The MCL Mileage man), who was with me for the reveal, has ordered one but will wait beyond the launch cars so he can spec it out himself. I met another Swiss guy who has a P1 and also 2 off 675 LTs and he will be having a 720 now and thinks on the road there will be no difference to speak of between the 720 and his P1. 
    Ill leave it to others to spoil the launch at Geneva that Ill also be attending and MCL really dont deserve to be let down given their kindness and willingness to preview the car to a select lucky few. 
    I will tell you though - this is one super cool car (or is it a cool super car??) that will give Hyper cars a run for their money (on the road) at Super Series car prices. Its another big step forward for MCL and the competition will not like what they see at Geneva.
    For those that can afford it - get your deposits down now.
    I will tell you - the Spider version has not yet been signed off and will be 2 or maybe even 3 years away. When you see the design - you will understand why that is.

This is probably castelloli.  So if during the topgear showdown there, the 650s ran a 1:54.5, and both hypercars were more than 4secs faster than that, then the 720s is 3secs faster still.  So that means it probably ran a 1:47, give or take.

To be honest, my head started to spin heart recently with all those track numbers. We need to wait for independent results (this is valid for the rumored under 7 min. time for the Huracan Performante as well) because I do not trust manufacturer claims, sorry.

--

Same. I doubt these claims just as much as the Performante. Will wait to see what they actually do in the comparisons.

Yeah. I also find it hard to believe.

I agree that '6.52 something something' as claimed by Lamborghini for the Huracán Performante on the Ring sounds quite unrealistic for a 640 PS car of 1.4-1.5 tonnes.

On the other hand, the AMG GTR with 585 PS (and no active aero as the Lambo) has managed a 7.11 measured by the German magazine SportAuto on the Ring...

--

991 GT3 RS / Gone: Cayman GT4, 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8, 997.2 GT3, Lotus Exige S, 964 Turbo 3.3

GoHardGT3RS:

I agree that '6.52 something something' as claimed by Lamborghini for the Huracán Performante on the Ring sounds quite unrealistic for a 640 PS car of 1.4-1.5 tonnes.

On the other hand, the AMG GTR with 585 PS (and no active aero as the Lambo) has managed a 7.11 measured by the German magazine SportAuto on the Ring...

Actually, the GT R does have some active aero pieces, but not asymmetrical ones for turning like the Lambo.

--

Another report from RL. It seems thats about four or so, now

I was at the event and heard the same from the home team. Faster than P1 and 918 (way too heavy). They'll never go into writing on it as they want to protect the P1 but the comparison tests will eventually out it. Time to open your mind...

Edit: another one from CJ

If anyone wants to lend me a 918 to test against the 720S I'd love to see. I have been told the same thing in regards to the car being faster around a lap.

GoHardGT3RS:

Pre-production car, special tires...and so on. Not really a review I would want to take in consideration for the final street version. Smiley

The Performante is indeed only 40 kg lighter but since all those weight claims from Lamborghini and Audi (Huracan and R8) were always weirdly off to the real product, it is also possible that the new Performante actually weights the same as the current Huracan. Wouldn't be surprised.

However, if Lamborghini did their homework (ABS setup of the Huracan on semi-slicks was a catastrophe), improved a few things as well, added active aero, rear wheel steering (still needs to be confirmed) and 40 hp (rumored power is currently 650 hp) plus improved tires, it is possible to achieve a time close to 7 minutes. No doubt about it. 

--

RC:
    GoHardGT3RS:

Pre-production car, special tires...and so on. Not really a review I would want to take in consideration for the final street version. Smiley

The Performante is indeed only 40 kg lighter but since all those weight claims from Lamborghini and Audi (Huracan and R8) were always weirdly off to the real product, it is also possible that the new Performante actually weights the same as the current Huracan. Wouldn't be surprised.

However, if Lamborghini did their homework (ABS setup of the Huracan on semi-slicks was a catastrophe), improved a few things as well, added active aero, rear wheel steering (still needs to be confirmed) and 40 hp (rumored power is currently 650 hp) plus improved tires, it is possible to achieve a time close to 7 minutes. No doubt about it. 

Huracán Performante following a normal Huracán. Obviously hes not giving 100% but the Performante doesn't look 918 fast to me. I'm very skeptical about those Performante/720S claims. Last time McLaren said the P1 did under 7min...and is yet to be proven. 918 Spyder has won ~90% of the hypercar tests so far...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR62rBedDMw

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753915 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431064 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258747 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255628 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79655 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868600 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802347 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM