Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

First time you saw a Porsche and first Porsche Purchase

I'm curious as to how long a time elapsed for Rennteam members between the first time they ever saw a Porsche and the first Porsche purchase they made.

For me, it's over forty years. I saw my first Porsche in October of 1965 (I later figured out that it was a 356C), saw a 912 in the summer of 1967, and rode in a 911 (a 1973 model, if I remember correctly) in 1976. I signed the purchase contract for my 997S on October 24, 2005, and I'm taking delivery next Monday.

Jim

Re: First time you saw a Porsche and first Porsche Purchase

Saw a 928 about 15 years ago, a bit after the romanian revolution.
    First purchase? Well, I'm still counting Maybe i'll get a 924 or 944 soon...

First porsche that i saw in person? Probably a 993 of some sort (around 10 years ago) i dont really remember. First Porsche driven was a white 84 Targa (lowered with 3 piece BBS wheels... it was sweet) And I'm only 21 but I'm almost done getting my BS in mechanical engineering and I plan on owning a few porsches in my lifetime

Very nice choice brunner!

Not too sure...I believe I was about 7 ( late 1960's- too long ago to remember)???? I do remember building model Porsche cars starting when I was about 9 years old- from that time, I always wanted to own a real one. I will have had a 30 something year wait. Just over 200 days remaining before one of my best dreams comes true! My "baby" and I will have the same birthplace!

I saw my first Porsche was when I was 12 or 13 and I have dreamed about owing one untill I purchased my first at age 55 997s cab. What a thrill!!!!

First lusted around 1980 and popped my cherry 2 years ago on a 996 Targa!

Saw my first Porsche in 1970. My dad bought a used 912 for my mom. I was 5. See pic on the left. The backseats were perfect, so was the drive from FL to KY at 90mph!

In 1980, I talk my dad into buying a used 924. It didn't hurt that my first attempt to drive a stick was when we were test driving this car, I ran 1st to 2nd to 3rd like I had driven a stick all my life. I had been visualizing this moment since I was 5. It paid off.

In 1984, talk my dad into ordering a 944 for Euro pick-up. "European Vacation" with the family! I was 19 at this point driving down the Autobahn at 133mph drafting a large MB.

In 2005, I talked myself into doing what I have been talking my dad into all these years and practicing for all my life. I ordered a C4S for ED.

Back to the Autobahn! My destiny

I saw and rode in my first Porsche at age 7 in 1960, a black 356 cab owned by a friend of the family. The first Porsche I bought was a new 914 2.0 in 1973. I managed to put
    53,000 miles on it in the first year by commuting 120 miles everyday from Fort Collins Colorado to Cheyenne, Wyoming and back. Along with a lot of speed runs through Estes Canyon and trips elsewhere.

Quote:
    Jim48 said:
    I'm curious as to how long a time elapsed for Rennteam members between the first time they ever saw a Porsche and the first Porsche purchase they made.

For me, it's over forty years. I saw my first Porsche in October of 1965 (I later figured out that it was a 356C), saw a 912 in the summer of 1967, and rode in a 911 (a 1973 model, if I remember correctly) in 1976. I signed the purchase contract for my 997S on October 24, 2005, and I'm taking delivery next Monday.

Jim

Jim,

Have the sleepless nights begun yet? Congratulations, you must be mega amped right about now!

fell in love w/ the 928, then the 959, and now the 997

First got the fever around 1979... first year of high school. It wasn't Porsche I fell in love with. It was the Porsche 911. I can honestly say that I've never desired any other model Porsche makes. Sure the CGT is an amazing piece of machinery but I'd rather have a 911 than a CGT. Can't afford one or fit in one anyway.

I must say that the fever was bad when the 993 came out. I got a promo video and wore it out. Talked dealer into a test drive too.(first 911 drive) Still couldn't quite afford one (new) so I waited. When the 996 launched, I was sick. Everything I loved seemed to change into something too common. The curves were gone and the front was easily mistaken for a Boxster. I stopped thinking about a new one and thought I'd buy a nice 993 when the time was right... no hurry. Lived with BMW's and was O.K.

Then I saw the 997 on a magazine cover. Had a relapse and bought every magazine that even mentioned the thing. Wife even said my behavior had to stop. I was loosing sleep because I was trying to figure out a way to buy one. Always online and reading articles over and over. My 40th birthday was coming up so I made it my goal to order one on that day. In mid July (about one week before my 40th) and after many test drives, (same dealer that gave me the 993 video) I put a deposit on an S Cab that was allotted for an August build. (didn't want it to get away) At this point I still hadn't figured out how I was gonna pay for the thing but I was working on it. Even if I'd lost the deposit, I could always say that I ordered one for my 40th birthday. Sad - I know. I also had my name on a BMW 650i Convertible that would arrive about two weeks later than the Porsche in case I couldn't swing the extra $30K. Well... several things fell into place about one week before the Porsche arrived. So... that's a 26 year wait for me. And worth every minute.

Owner for four months and almost 9000 miles.

I don't remember the day I first recognized a 911.. but a family member bought a brand new 1984 cab, whatever the name for Carmon red was back then... I was 16, and fell in love with the car.. From then on, I would just be in awe whenever I spotted a 911 driving by. I would picture myself everywhere in one, pulling up to the stoplight, spirited driving in the twistys, freeway on ramps, picking up my girlfriend... I was 16, and am now 38. 22 years of dreams, and just under a year of reality. A tumultuous divorce, and two beautiful kids to be fortunate enough to raise full time.. from the worst era in my life, to one of gratitude and thankfulness.. A huge financial stretch for me, it took some nifty maneuvers to make it happen. My triple black cab is 8 months old and has 5500 miles.

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:

Not too sure...I believe I was about 7 ( late 1960's- too long ago to remember)???? I do remember building model Porsche cars starting when I was about 9 years old- from that time, I always wanted to own a real one. I will have had a 30 something year wait.

Same history here It startet with some Matchbox toycars at the age of 6 or so, then the Carrera toytrack at the age of nine, first real life encounter about the same time, first consciuos encounter in the early seventies admiring the neighbour's beauties (sort of green/blue Targa followed by a white 911 cab), other neighbour gave me a a ride as a passenger in his silver 911 Turbo in 1976 (wow - remember a specific autobahn curve which seemed to be so easy going in Dad's BMW 2800 but transformed nearly into a hairpin with the Turbo at full throttle ), after finally armed with the long awaited driving license enjoyed frequent rides in a friend's blue 914/6 - pure fun Then an unforgettable nightride with a 928 from Cologne to Paris setting a new record , frequent commutes to University with a white 924...strangest encounter (though not really a Porsche) with a co-students VW beetle cab equipped with a Porsche engine, though don't remember the exact engine type - only some 30 years later (LoL) the first own Porsche - 987 S - will be picked up in Zuffenhausen in a couple of weeks . Just trying to beat Porsche statistic saying that the average age of Porsche buyers (new cars only) is 46 in Germany Sorting some old photographs some day ago my wife found a snapshot from 1976, me as a teenager wannabe Porsche owner posing with a brandnew red 911 at a parking lot....people may say what they want, but the Porsche magic still is alive for me also with the new models

Hello evrybody !

I was about 12 or 15 when i realize those sporty cars i love were 911's and porsche ! My aunt offered me a 911 toy for my birthday ... That's when i started to love it and dreamed of owning one !

10 years later i purchased my fisrt 911 (it xas 1 year and a half now) a 3.2 carrera ! the day i took the car was amazing ,it will be mine in few minutes when you have always wanted one this day is magic !

Not the first Porsche I'd ever seen, but one that I can remember is a 959 in a dealer near me. Must have been late 80's, I can remember it had an enormous price tag.
    Saw one again last weekend, still an amazing car!

Get my first in April, 997 C4S, can't wait.

Mark

The first time I really NOTICED a Porsche was when my dad brought home a brandnew 964 C4, turquoise metallic with purple leather interior, in around 1990. A few years later I fell irrevocably in love with it when I had my first chance to get my hands and feet on it for a full weekend. Haven't had that much fun driving ever before or after until I bought my own P car.

First Porsche purchase of my own in 2005. I had been looking for a used 996 C4 (still influenced by my first drive) but switched over to a new Boxster S instead because I wanted the newer car. Eventually I'll get my 911 C4... eventually

I always fantasized about Porsches since my early teens. I drove a 928 when I was 16, which was too overwhelming.

Asked my dad for a 944 during college. He flatly refused saying "if I pay for it, you won't enjoy it. Get it with your own money and it'll be worth the wait."

Now that I'm 34, I should receive my first Porsche, a 997 C2S, after 4 days. My father said "why are you getting a race car? Get an S-Class instead! It's more suitable for you age."

I replied "you told me to buy a Porsche 16 years ago. You haven't forgetten, have you?" He laughed and said "Just drive safely."

Oxonian, that's just too cool. Way to go man!

23 years ago, I was 12 and saw Risky Business. Not only did I fall in love with Rebecca De Mornay, I fell in love with the 928. Then in 1984 Miami Vice went on the air and all the exotics turned me on. But it was always the 911s with the big whale tails that I loved the most. The same year Sixteen Candles was in the theaters and there was a beautiful red 944 in the movie. By this time I began to dream of the day I would own one. Over the years, I have contantly lusted. In 04, I finally drove one. It was a used 03 911 c2 with 8k miles. Didn't pull the trigger b/c I new the 997s were coming. That was the first Porsche I had ever driven. Last summer, a friend who owns a used car lot and gave me 99 911 to drive for a weekend. It was a blast. I could only imagine how much fun a 997 would be. Well, had a good year financially in 05 so I ordered my 06 C2S 11.28.05. Arctic silver, black full leather, sport chrono, bose, sport exhaust, crest in seat, power seats, thicker steering wheel, carrera sport wheels with colored crest, park assist, carbon package. January production and on the boat in beginning of February. Dealer told me to expect deliver by March 7. 23 years of waiting and I've never even driven a 997. I don't think there is any way I can be disapointed.

I was about 12 years old and the family had gone to the nearest city in the north of England for a Christmas shopping trip. I heard it first and then saw an ivory colored 911.

I had no idea what it was, but I went home and read through a very important pocket book for car enthusiasts that listed every car that was made worldwide. (If you're a Brit of a certain age you will probably remember the "Observer Book of Automobiles").

After "Panhard" and "Pontiac" I finally turned the page and found "Porsche" and a picture of the 911 and knew I had to have one.

Later I managed to pursuade Porsche to send me a brochure of the 911 and probably could recite the copy today given a little prompting.

It "only" took 29 years to finally be brave enough to buy one, and I've never regretted it for one moment. Now I'm a waiter for my C2S Cab...

Me and my brother used to play with little Matchbox cars - he was a big Porsche guy and surprisingly I was a big Ferrari guy. The first one that I remember seeing in person was a 993 a while back. I had to have a Porsche - so senior year in HS (May, 2001), I cashed in my Nvidia stock to buy a '01 Black 986 with Tiptronic for my prom. I put about 4,000 miles on it in just over a month and a half (lots of NYC -- Hamptons trips) and then sold it to a friend's father for 4 gran less than what I paid. I used that toward a 996 Cab which I kept for a few months before selling it again to a friend's father as I realized I didn't need a car like THAT while in college in New York City.

Right now my weekend car is a 987 S, '06. I also drive a 996 TT on occasion (which I purchased later on, pre-owned after I sold the 996 Cab).

Looks like the kid liking Ferrari matchbox cars ended up switching sides.

Growing up in the 60's and 70's there were many 911's & then 914's around. Always liked the 911, but it was never a dream car for me until I saw my first 911 Turbo. It was a friday in August of 1976, late in the afternoon. The car had dark brown metalic paint and had a big wing on the back with Pirelli tires. I still think it was one of the best looking 911's of all time. It looked all business. If I recall 0 to 60 was 6.2 seconds.

Twenty nine years later I walked into my local porsche dealership to buy a turbo, but, for various reasons, walked out with a 997S instead. Now that the new turbo is here, I think I will walk into the dealership on a friday in August and order a new turbo, exactly 30 years from when I saw my first one.

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Quote:
    Jim48 said:

Jim

Jim,

Have the sleepless nights begun yet? Congratulations, you must be mega amped right about now!

Richard,

Thanks for the congrats. Surprisingly, I have now stopped losing sleep over the delivery, but one month ago, I was in knots, as I had been expecting an early delivery. I was bugging the daylights out of my salesman, who, luckily for me, seemed to handle it quite well. Once I got some actual information, I felt a lot better, especially once I was given a VIN number. Then my only worry (still a bit of a worry) was that the car not get scratched or damaged. It arrived at the dealer yesterday (Feb. 16), and I'm getting a 3M clearcoat bra put on. I will take delivery Monday. It's been a long time coming, and I am really pleased that I'm finally getting one.

Jim

In a motorshow, I grabed 924 catalogs when I was 10ish.
    Had to wait my 31st Bday to buy a Boxster S !!! ...but was coming all the way up from German cars, VW, then Audi, then BMW...then FINALLY the pcar :-)

it must have been 1957

I was 6 years old. My Dad drove off one morning in his Triumph (TR-2 or TR-3) and came home that night in a new Speedster. Fast Forward to 1984 when I bought a new 911SC - all black. Had it a few years, but my family was growing and it was replaced by a Volvo. FF again to May 2006 when my new C2S coupe will arrive.

Good stuff. 1969 was in grad school. Had a 67'Corvette roadster 427/390 with Factory A/C and side pipes.(car stolen and stripped follwing semester day after clutch replaced at Chevy dealer. Undergrad in the apt. building had brand new 911T (if T was the hot one, cause his was the hot motor) Was intrigued by the sound, compared to my off road exhaust..Not so much the looks then. In '76 had a '74 Black Dino 246S, and my buddy got a '76 CARRERA TURBO, in that bright Lime green with the side markings, etc. Well that car just ate the little Dino alive. That Turbo was VERY quick for 1976. Took me till '88 to get a GRed Cab.Very nice car. My Dealer in Avon Ct called and said had a new '89 930 TTarga in GRed that was a cancelled order. Drove it, and traded the Cab. Lots of turbo lag, but still a thrill car. Saw the 997 and knew it was time again. Worth the wait.

I do not exactly remember when I first saw or heard about it, but I have always known that it is the ultimate/practical sports car. I have had many sports cars throughout college like Z, M3, etc. I am in my early 30's so I wanted to get the ultimate car now and enjoy it while I am somewhat young. This Jan I decided to go for it. There was not really a waiting period for me. Once I decided to get it, I ordered it immediately. The only wait is the lead time to get the car, which is three months for me.

This thread is probably is best marketing insight for the Porsche marketing department. I think they have done a good job with linking a product so close to consumer emotions. Other companies should take a page out of Porsche's marketing book as well.

Great post!
    my first "in real-life" Porsche experience was my cousin's 1988 black 930 Ruf in high school (1990). I was in immediate lust and my dreams were fulfilled in 2005... 15 years later.

In 1960, my father bought an MGA and I was immediately hooked on sports cars -- MGs, Triumphs, Healeys and Jags. Then, one day, I saw a 356 cab shoot through traffic in Berkeley driven by, I imagined, a tall, sophisticated engineering professor. And, from that moment on, I was in love with Porsches, seeing them as the fast car choice of the thinking man.

In 1967, with my hair a great deal longer and while I was waiting to start college, my Dad handed me the keys to his current sports car, a 1960 MB 190, said he was going out of town and could I be useful by finding the best trade in deal for him on a new 912.

I wasn't all that sure about 911s and 912s. Were they REAL sports cars? No wood, no convertible, no wind-in-the-willows wild rides on the edge of control with underpowered engines and sub-par brakes and suspensions. They seemed so, well, clinical.

When the deal was done, I was asked to drive the new 912 from Berkeley down to Big Sur where my parents were vacationing (it WAS the Swinging Sixties, after all) (for a reference, see the film Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice .)

It was a nice late summer day as I headed the pristine white 912 across the Bay Bridge, through the streets of San Francisco, with the Chambers Bros. playing Time Is On My Side on the 8-track, and hit the Pacific Coast Highway.

Heading south, I had one of my life's great epiphanies: I GOT engineering and ergonomics. There were little details that blew my mind about the car, things that made me think "Wow, someone really thought about this!"

Faster and faster down the coast (it takes a long time to go fast in a 912 but, once you're there, it stays there and the car cuts like butter.)

Coming through a stand of wind-blown cypresses overhanding the road, a long, tunnel-like straight opened up ahead of me. I was already doing about 90 and I floored it, loving the feeling of the trees flashing by.

And then it happened. About 100 yards ahead of me, a tractor pulled out from the Brussels Sprout fields and into my lane. With on-coming traffic in the other lane, there was no going around it so -- my life flashing before my eyes -- I stood on the brakes and prepared for my inevitable fate.

The next thing I remember was this: I was almost at a complete stop and yet I was only half-way to the tractor. Nothing in my life had prepared me for this definition of performance or this level of engineering. From that moment on, I was hooked.

I drove the car on every visit home for many years and finally inherited it when I was in my mid-30's. Took it to Porsche Performance Driving School where I came in second in the auto cross and where Brian Redman pronounced it a cool car.

Then I had to send my kids to college. Bye-bye Mr. P-car.

In 1990, Porsche released their first press shots of the 964, a white one driving in the show. I believed it to be the single most compelling car photo I ever saw and, in 1994, kids through school and finally making what I like to call "the medium-sized bucks" I bought that same car, ice-box white. It was the single best investment I ever made in my life. There was never a time I didn't get in that car and, literally, leave all my cares behind. And there was never a dollar spent in love and care that I regretted.

In 1995, walking down the Boulevard St. Germain in Paris, I looked into a gated forecourt of an apartment building and saw my first 993, a champagne gold color, and thought there had never been a more beautiful car.

My next Porsche is now on the financial calendar for the end of the year and will probably be a nice late-model CPO 996 coupe.

But will I ever forget that 912 and what it felt like to drive a truly brilliantly designed car?

Not a chance.

D.

Way cool!

Awesome posts everyone- thanks for sharing! Great thread!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778691 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442156 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263026 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261308 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85556 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5767 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880991 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817010 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM