Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

What is your 997 favorite WHEEL?

Re: What is your 997 favorite WHEEL?

XRRs simply have the X factor

Carrera Classics are timeless

Hence "Classic"

I love my Carrera S wheels, but I might have to buy a set of SportDesigns with tires mounted, so I can switch back & forth when I want to.

BBS-RSGT 18in on my 997-PASM.

They look maaarvellous, at least partly due to spoke design blending into the rim so that they look as large as 19in, without the extra mass. And they are different and of high quality ..............

Be different -----KiwiCanuck

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I love my Carrera S wheels, but I might have to buy a set of SportDesigns with tires mounted, so I can switch back & forth when I want to.

Yeah, I'd love to do that too!

what can I say, I like to stock 19" S wheels

surprised to see the standard 19'' ''lobster'' wheel takes the lead... very conservative forum here.

Totally agree with you... Indeed a very conservative forum... In the exterior color poll I have created, Black leads as well as for the inteior poll, Black leads. So a Black / Black 997 with a 19"carrera S wheels, how orignal, fashionable and different can one be ?!?!!?
    ---------------
    997 c2 / Seal Grey metallic / Terracota / 19" SportDesign

Quote:
    Georges G. Hayek said:
    Totally agree with you... Indeed a very conservative forum... In the exterior color poll I have created, Black leads as well as for the inteior poll, Black leads. So a Black / Black 997 with a 19"carrera S wheels, how orignal, fashionable and different can one be ?!?!!?
    ---------------

Thats mine. Basalt Black / Black Leather / CS Wheels. It's about as conservative and re-sale conscious as you can get.

Hi!
    I like the Carrera Classic most. That's what I voted for.
    Greetings

Carrera Classics !!!

Quote:
    20C4S said:
    surprised to see the standard 19'' ''lobster'' wheel takes the lead... very conservative forum here.

What's that marketing psychology jargon for people who are happiest with what they wind up with; but mostly only because they bought it.

Then again, psychology isn't an exact science.

Quote:
    20C4S said:

Of course design is a matter of individual taste, but I cannot see the conservatism in the Carrera S wheel
    IMO it's a new and fresh look
    But if you judge the Carrera S wheel as conservative I would be interested to hear what kind of wheel would be a progressive one in your opinion

I concur, the standard S wheel is the boldest and most extroverted wheel of the bunch in my opinion.

I loved it the minute I first saw it in the first magazine article I got unveiling the 997S. It had an aggressive look to it, far removed from the soft and feminine curved designs from the 996 and 993. I also liked the "industrial-art" influence, as it really doesn't look a damn thing like a lobster fork, but in actuality much closer emulates a CLUTCH fork (for those who have ever changed their own clutch).

Anyhow, I've always liked it's unique look, it's industrial/mechanical design influence, and it's boldness.

I'll admit it's a polarizing design, but often times, that's not a bad thing...

All the other wheels are not nearly as polarizing, and are far more traditional with more mainstream appeal.

It's all in what look you're going for. I think the wheel selection ranges from delicate and pretty, to brash and handsome. I like them all on some level.

When they are clean - SDs

I think that different wheels suit different colours. If you put simpler designs like classics on a dark colour it doesn't distract from the shape so much. On bright colours IMO complex designs go better because the eye doesn't pick on the bright contrasting wheels...Although...Black GT3 wheels on a black GT3?? Yellow calipers?

Only had my car 3 weeks (XRR's with GT Silver)........already thinking about what rims to carry semi-slicks for track days.
    Saw a pic of custom lobsters.....the centres in black with both inner & outer rim in polished alum........WOW ......compared to the factory painted versions which have the outer rim in silver & inner rim in the centre colour. Lobsters also a good deal compared to premium aftermarket (Gemballa, Techart, Cargraphic etc)

Quote:
    Georges G. Hayek said:
    ---------------

Strange!! Mine is Basalt/Black/ with stock CS - by choice.

Don't think I was being conservative, just thought it was the best combo and still do.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:

I loved it the minute I first saw it in the first magazine article I got unveiling the 997S. It had an aggressive look to it, far removed from the soft and feminine curved designs from the 996 and 993. I also liked the "industrial-art" influence, as it really doesn't look a damn thing like a lobster fork, but in actuality much closer emulates a CLUTCH fork (for those who have ever changed their own clutch).

Perfect explanation of my own sentiments. If my English would be better I would have used exactly your words to describe the wheels

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:

Perfect explanation of my own sentiments. If my English would be better I would have used exactly your words to describe the wheels

PJ , your English is better than mine ..

throt..

Quote:
    throt said:

throt..

I didn't know that you are speaking English

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    throt said:

throt..

I didn't know that you are speaking English

I will see you in Dusseldorf , you cheeky monkey

throt...

Quote:
    throt said:
    I will see you in Dusseldorf , you cheeky monkey

throt...

Yeah looking forward to join the ultimate Porsche zoo with you and Richard

Lmao ""Porsche Zoo"" ,, I shall wear something loud so you recognize me ..

throt..

Quote:
    throt said:
    Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:

throt..

Totally agree with 69bossnine and throt!

Porsche-Jeck likely speaks better English than most English Professors( definitely meant as a compliment)!

LOL! You guys are great!

Cheers!

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    20C4S said:

Of course design is a matter of individual taste, but I cannot see the conservatism in the Carrera S wheel
    But if you judge the Carrera S wheel as conservative I would be interested to hear what kind of wheel would be a progressive one in your opinion

take it easy man. just based on my memory when the 997 first came out most of the people were questioning the style of this wheel. i didn't say it was bad nor boring & i actually was one of very few that liked the style.

Quote:
    20C4S said:
    Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    20C4S said:

take it easy man. just based on my memory when the 997 first came out most of the people were questioning the style of this wheel. i didn't say it was bad nor boring & i actually was one of very few that liked the style.

20C4S,

Why would you write "take it easy..."??? Not necessary!

I don't see anything that Porsche-Jeck wrote that would lead you to think he was being churlish or provocative in any way.

take it easy means relax means what he meant ''design is a matter of individual taste.'' necessary or not that's what i wanted to say. was just my personal opinion. nothing more. maybe i should've quoted MMD not Porsche-Jeck. oh well...

No problem, I'm still relaxed
    I know what you mean by saying that after the launch of the Carrera S wheels some strange comments could be heard from people not liking it (maybe those are the real conservatives ). Most strangest comment I heard was from somebody claiming it looks like a Pizza after getting a shooting from Al Capone's machine gun Though I don't agree with this weird analogy I think it's a proof of good design if people's fantasy is getting inspired: quite a stretch from a clutch to an assassinated Pizza.....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690844 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410081 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256160 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235381 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65736 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858758 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775048 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM