Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

I feel a 997 turbo "S" in the horizon... Do you?

I have visited the Official Porsche Site and checked the 997 turbo section. I can figure out that a "S" version is very probable. (Other than the production of the 996 Carrera turbo S) One of the things that had pulled my attention was the Tailpipes similar to the Carrera version... So a "S" version might come out with those dual tailpipes... What do you folks think about it?

Re: I feel a 997 turbo "S" in the horizon... Do you?

There is no doubt in my mind that an S is coming out. But they will be staggered awhile.

release schedule?

probably the cabriolet will come out in 6 months,
    then perhaps 6-12 months after the S coupe will come out
    and 6 months after THAT, the S Cab will be released.

Guys, a Turbo S is indeed on the horizon...in two years maybe. I don't know what you've seen on the Porsche website, I didn't see any twin tail pipe (maybe you can give us a hint WHERE you saw it) but I would like to share with you two upcoming products from Porsche: a first time premiere for a Turbo...the turbo sport exhaust system and of course...the long awaited "infamous" powerkit. Both products will be available sooner or later.

Expect the 997 Turbo Cabriolet for next spring...IF the success of the 997 Turbo Coupe doesn't delay it's production. After the Cabriolet will be introduced, the powerkit should be on the schedule. And here's the catch: the powerkit could be available only with PDK together. Some sort of turbo performance package. This is only a rumor, so please take it with a grain of salt. There are lots of rumors floating around right now.

So indeed, the Turbo S is coming. But looking at the spectacular Tiptronic performance figure, I doubt that there is a "need" (from a marketing point of view) for a Turbo S right now. Believe it or not but I heard that in some countries, the Turbo is already sold out for the rest of the year. And it won't get better as soon as the first cars actually hit the streets. So here's my prediction: it will be very difficult to get a 997 Turbo this year and in the first half of next year if you're not already somewhere on a dealer's list. Of course some cars will be available for a premium but I should warn you: as soon as the big hype is over, the cars will be widely available. Porsche isn't the type of company to create an artificial shortage of cars, if there is demand, enough cars will be build to satisfy all potential customers.

So yes, a Turbo S is coming. But don't expect it to hit the markets before 2008. It may even come later. If people want to believe something else, well, I can't do anything about it. But there are other Porsche models too to be released over the next 24 months, the Turbo S has not top priority now. Think about the 997 GT3, Targa, Turbo Cabriolet, the Cayenne facelift and hear hear, a possible smaller Cayenne Sport version with less weight, a less sophisticated AWD and slightly less power than it's big brothers but very likely much better handling and straight line performance.
    And of course there is room for a 997 GT2 too...BEFORE the 997 Turbo S shows up.

Even if I put the GBP10,000 deposit down my dealer says he must have, and assuming I can pass the 'vetting' I'm number 7 or 8 so far and he won't guarantee me a car this year....

I think the rest of the UK is the same. And for an S? I'd be surprised if I would see one for me before until late next year if at all. My dealer says that they are going to keep numbers lower than the 996TT. We shall see.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Guys, a Turbo S is indeed on the horizon...in two years maybe. I don't know what you've seen on the Porsche website, I didn't see any twin tail pipe (maybe you can give us a hint WHERE you saw it) but I would like to share with you two upcoming products from Porsche: a first time premiere for a Turbo...the turbo sport exhaust system and of course...the long awaited "infamous" powerkit. Both products will be available sooner or later.

Expect the 997 Turbo Cabriolet for next spring...IF the success of the 997 Turbo Coupe doesn't delay it's production. After the Cabriolet will be introduced, the powerkit should be on the schedule. And here's the catch: the powerkit could be available only with PDK together. Some sort of turbo performance package. This is only a rumor, so please take it with a grain of salt. There are lots of rumors floating around right now.

So indeed, the Turbo S is coming. But looking at the spectacular Tiptronic performance figure, I doubt that there is a "need" (from a marketing point of view) for a Turbo S right now. Believe it or not but I heard that in some countries, the Turbo is already sold out for the rest of the year. And it won't get better as soon as the first cars actually hit the streets. So here's my prediction: it will be very difficult to get a 997 Turbo this year and in the first half of next year if you're not already somewhere on a dealer's list. Of course some cars will be available for a premium but I should warn you: as soon as the big hype is over, the cars will be widely available. Porsche isn't the type of company to create an artificial shortage of cars, if there is demand, enough cars will be build to satisfy all potential customers.

So yes, a Turbo S is coming. But don't expect it to hit the markets before 2008. It may even come later. If people want to believe something else, well, I can't do anything about it. But there are other Porsche models too to be released over the next 24 months, the Turbo S has not top priority now. Think about the 997 GT3, Targa, Turbo Cabriolet, the Cayenne facelift and hear hear, a possible smaller Cayenne Sport version with less weight, a less sophisticated AWD and slightly less power than it's big brothers but very likely much better handling and straight line performance.
    And of course there is room for a 997 GT2 too...BEFORE the 997 Turbo S shows up.

RC he's not saying he SAW a twin tail pipe. He's saying that since the "base" turbo has tailpipes similar to the base carrera. That maybe the Turbo S when it debuts will have twin pipes. He's just making a guess thats all

And i must say, i totally agree with him about the tailpipes. they are far to similar to a base carrera's

If the new 997 TT is as popular as I think it will be then there will no rush by Porsche to bring the upgraded X50 package. How long did it take Porsche to add the X50(S) to the 996 TT?? Wasn't it about 3 years? Who on this forum can tell me how much real difference there was in power between the stock 996TT and the X50 996TT, wasn't it only 30 HP? If they come with a X50 for the 997 how much power will it add?

Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:
    If the new 997 TT is as popular as I think it will be then there will no rush by Porsche to bring the upgraded X50 package. How long did it take Porsche to add the X50(S) to the 996 TT?? Wasn't it about 3 years? Who on this forum can tell me how much real difference there was in power between the stock 996TT and the X50 996TT, wasn't it only 30 HP? If they come with a X50 for the 997 how much power will it add?

The X50 reduced the 0-200 km/h time by almost 2 seconds (as fast as a 997TT manual) and the difference really became apparent at speeds over 200 km/h.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    The X50 reduced the 0-200 km/h time by almost 2 seconds (as fast as a 997TT manual) and the difference really became apparent at speeds over 200 km/h.

Factory claim is actually around 1 second. Some X50 cars did 0-125 mph (200 kph) in up to 12.8 seconds but so did newer "standard" Turbos do under 14 seconds (to be precise in the 13.8-13.9 seconds range). So there is a one second difference, this is actually always the advantage of the powerkit over the standard car.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Factory claim is actually around 1 second. Some X50 cars did 0-125 mph (200 kph) in up to 12.8 seconds but so did newer "standard" Turbos do under 14 seconds (to be precise in the 13.8-13.9 seconds range). So there is a one second difference, this is actually always the advantage of the powerkit over the standard car.

Yes, you're right. My bad .

Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:

X50 started with the 02 model year for the 996 TT but it was somewhat in short supply that year; more plentiful with the 03's.

So what your saying is the X50 package doesn't really help Quarter mile or 0-60 times?

Should work out just about right for me, I plan to buy in about 18 months and by then the hype will be redirected to the S/Cab variants. That way I can get a good deal on a base TT with floor mats.

I bet you that the TTS will have the following:

1) PDK
    2) 3.8 L engine
    3) 530 bhp
    4) 0-60 in 3.2 sec or less

The TTS, IMHO, will redefine the industry. It will be the ultimate everyday supercar. Not even Ferrari will get close to the TTS until year 2010.

Quote:
    Oxonian said:

1) PDK
    2) 3.8 L engine
    3) 530 bhp

The TTS, IMHO, will redefine the industry. It will be the ultimate everyday supercar. Not even Ferrari will get close to the TTS until year 2010.

That'll be sweet.

Quote:
    Oxonian said:

1) PDK
    2) 3.8 L engine
    3) 530 bhp

Like I said in a previous post, I don't think there is much room for 0-60 mph acceleration time improvement. Maybe 0.1 seconds... From 0-125 mph, the difference will be like always around 1.5 seconds.
    Of course PDK will be available in two years but I'm not sure about your power claim. 3.8 l engine displacement? For what purpose? More torque? I think Porsche stays with 3.6 l, even on the Turbo S. Power? Well, 50 HP over the standard Turbo? I doubt it again. I think 520 at max are very likely, 510 HP for the powerkit. There has to be some room for a 997 GT2 too...if it comes.

I don't know why people always compare Ferrari to Porsche, especially since in certain countries, Ferrari cars are a substantial amount of money more expensive than Porsche cars.

You WILL be able to order a Powerkit today for your 997 Turbo, and at a substantially lower price than before I might add.

Quote:
    RC said: 3.8 l engine displacement? For what purpose? More torque? I think Porsche stays with 3.6 l, even on the Turbo S.

The reason for more displacement in a Turbo motor is not just for the additional peak power and torque, but more displacement will make it more responsive to the throttle before the full boost is reached. It's one more way (with VTG) to make the throttle response closer to non-turbo motor at lower rpms...

Since the 997TT is relatively low-revving motor (6,600 rpm max), it makes more displacement more attractive. It would be more challenging to increase the displacement of the GT3 where the pistons are already moving so fast (8,400 rpm)...

Quote:
    CF said:
    You WILL be able to order a Powerkit today for your 997 Turbo, and at a substantially lower price than before I might add.

Sweet

Quote:
    CF said:

Any more details, CF? Hints, or rumours?

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    CF said:

I think he is talking nonsense again: He is probably just referring to the overboost option...

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    CF said:

I think he is talking nonsense again: He is probably just referring to the overboost option...

Quote:
    MKSGR said:I think he is talking nonsense again: He is probably just referring to the overboost option...

Why is it nonsense?

I think it's very clever of Porsche to configure the Sport Chrono package as the "power kit" option.

Now, instead of an "S" following the Turbo script on the deck lid, one needs to watch for the "dash wart" to know how special a Turbo might be.

After the word gets around about the wart-equipped Turbos being really fast, the street value of all dash warts on any 997 will be on the rise from association effects.

The overboost option is way more usable for USA customers than the "S" (X50) motor, anyway. The 6-speed versions of the X50 aren't any faster than the normal car in typical street encounters. In some cases, the X50's turbo lag makes it slower for low-speed street racing than the standard issue motor. Only Tiptronic X50 (or Turbo S) setups actually benefit accelleration below 100 MPH.

A 997TT Tiptronic w/dash-wart seems like the uber-street racer to me. I'd take over-boost over more turbo lag any day.

I wish that the 997TT's redline was over 7200 instead of

6600 rpms is pretty "humble" by todays supercar engine
    standards, high torque or not.

Its great accelleration numbers aside, more revs would make it more fun to drive on a daily basis if you cant fully use
    the lspeeds in the ast two or 3 gears anyway.

This is where the GT3 comes good ...

throt..

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Turbocharged engines just don't work well at the high revs that NA engines can run at.

Even the small capacity (1.5 liter) turbocharged Formula 1 engines of the mid-80s would only run to about 13,000 rpm, whilst the 3 liter NA engines which followed them didn't take long to get up to 18,000 rpm +.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:I think he is talking nonsense again: He is probably just referring to the overboost option...

Why is it nonsense?

I think it's very clever of Porsche to configure the Sport Chrono package as the "power kit" option.

Now, instead of an "S" following the Turbo script on the deck lid, one needs to watch for the "dash wart" to know how special a Turbo might be.

After the word gets around about the wart-equipped Turbos being really fast, the street value of all dash warts on any 997 will be on the rise from association effects.

The overboost option is way more usable for USA customers than the "S" (X50) motor, anyway. The 6-speed versions of the X50 aren't any faster than the normal car in typical street encounters. In some cases, the X50's turbo lag makes it slower for low-speed street racing than the standard issue motor. Only Tiptronic X50 (or Turbo S) setups actually benefit accelleration below 100 MPH.

A 997TT Tiptronic w/dash-wart seems like the uber-street racer to me. I'd take over-boost over more turbo lag any day.

The overboost feature is definitively no powerkit. If they should ever sell it like that they are aiming at ignorant buyers.

"Nonsense" is referring to CFs "joke" regarding the misprinted tip and manual times. I did not consider this joke funny at all given the bad news regarding the 997TT.

US customers do not "need" a TT by definition. Serious driving is impossible in the US (except on a track)...

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Its great accelleration numbers aside, more revs would make it more fun to drive on a daily basis if you cant fully use
    the lspeeds in the ast two or 3 gears anyway.

The other nice advantage of a high redline is that it gives you a huge advantage in gearing. High revs allow for lower and closer gear ratios which USUALLY allow for much better acceleration. But, since the TT has the overboost only below 4k revs, "better" gearing might actually make it slower...

Fritz, so true. In fact its great that Porsche has a 6600 rpm redline on the 997TT.

Its just that sometimes you want to have it all - high revs, high torque and high hp.

Will the new 997TT be a likely industry award candidate for most torque per cc's of displacement for a gasolene engine?

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Fritz, so true. In fact its great that Porsche has a 6600 rpm redline on the 997TT.

Its just that sometimes you want to have it all - high revs, high torque and high hp.

And best of all: low weight.......

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765005 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436974 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261279 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258126 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82716 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877276 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809471 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM