Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

close call!ed!!

I am glad that i got home safe!

well tonight was rainning in uk, me and my wife having a nightout clubbing . while i was driving on the m6 highway toward Birmingham , the car suddenly lost control! i was driving about 94mph and outside temputure was 7.6C

it was very lucky that was no other traffic next to me and lucky the car didnt spin!

anyway i though that c4s awd won have problem in these weather!?

Re: close call!ed!!

aquaplaning most probably!?
    Wet surface with (may be) a lot of dirt on the road. ( if it has been dry for a while roads get "dirty") 4 wheel drive doesn't garantee that your wheels won't start aquaplaning ! On the 4s you have wider tires, less pressure/ cm2 aquaplaning starts earlier ( at lower speeds) compaired with smaller tires.

good to hear that nothing really happened.

aquaplaning for sure. very common with wide tires. 4WD doesn't help at all, since the car is kind of swimming.

Aquaplanning indeed.
    I had the same incident but unfortunately I crashed.
    The Carrera 4 are great for extra traction on tight roads, not driving under the rain.
    4WD or not, once you aquaplane, the trick is to go into neutral, DO NOT apply the brakes and steer very gently until tyres regain traction, then engage a higher gear.
    You don't have a lot of room for control.
    General rule is that tyres are so wide, you're better off driving slowly and carefully in wet weather.

Must have been a lot of standing water. I have only had this problem in torrential rain in South of France in my old 996 C2. Frankly I couldn't do more than 75 mph without the steering going light. I've yet to feel the same in the C2S-how much tread did you have on your tyres (especially front) and which brand?

One should not be driving more than 50km/h if there are too much water on the road during/after a heavy downpour

I'm glad you didn't have an accident.....but to be accurate, the "car" does not lose control, it is the "driver" that loses control.

i use p zero!

now i am checking this forum on wet condition tyre
    http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?f=48&h=&t=13219

Quote:
    964C2 said:
    I'm glad you didn't have an accident.....but to be accurate, the "car" does not lose control, it is the "driver" that loses control.

hahaah ! that was also the problem

but the car has no problem when i was driven it 120mph on snow weather

I heard about so many aquaplaning accidents with the 911 Turbo (993/996) and 996 C4/S. Apparently the AWD gives some sort of added safety feeling and people are too fast. Most of the accidents I heard of happened at speeds around 200 kph on the Autobahn, luckily, nobody seems to have been seriously hurt. AWD cars are great and I love them but sometimes they provide a false safety feel, especially in certain extreme driving conditions. I'll never forget the experience I once had in my Lancia Delta HF Integrale almost 20 years ago. I did a pretty narrow curve at around 80 kph when the car suddently started to slip away sideways ON ALL FOUR WHEELS. I knew about understeer, I knew about oversteer but this was the weirdest experience in my life since the road was dry and it wasn't too cold outside. Without any warning...FULL grip and out of nothing...NO grip. No warning, no shaking, no weird feeling before it happened, it was just like somebody turning a switch off and on. Aquaplaning of course is a different thing but what is dangerous about it is that the PSM (ESP) really doesn't help too much in such a situation.

RC you are absolutely correct. PSM affects vehicle dynamics in terms of the weight transfer and stability. But if you have lost traction, that is an entirely different matter.

it depend how you safe the car back on track!?

I must admin the nearest I came totalling something unexpectedly was in an Integrale I had for a short time. It was dark, dry but I overcooked a fast bend and had to lift. It had the most peculiar feeling, first understeer then the back came round then it felt as if it wanted to roll then I got on the gas and it sorted it out. Overconfident? You bet I was. I was more careful after that. But I honestly never got to grips with the car properly as I never tracked it or had the space to find out what-if? EVO did test of the new RS4 v.an EVO and a Carrera 4 and found Carrera 4 to be snappy on the limit and much harder on the limit than a C2 or a C2S. Interesting how a feature that basically should make things safer can contrive to bite you.

Glad you and your wife were both safe.

Glad you're OK. Could have been much worse! Don

glad that you are ok and that nothing went further!!

Quote:
    RC said:
    I heard about so many aquaplaning accidents with the 911 Turbo (993/996) and 996 C4/S. Apparently the AWD gives some sort of added safety feeling and people are too fast. Most of the accidents I heard of happened at speeds around 200 kph on the Autobahn, luckily, nobody seems to have been seriously hurt. AWD cars are great and I love them but sometimes they provide a false safety feel, especially in certain extreme driving conditions. I'll never forget the experience I once had in my Lancia Delta HF Integrale almost 20 years ago. I did a pretty narrow curve at around 80 kph when the car suddently started to slip away sideways ON ALL FOUR WHEELS. I knew about understeer, I knew about oversteer but this was the weirdest experience in my life since the road was dry and it wasn't too cold outside. Without any warning...FULL grip and out of nothing...NO grip. No warning, no shaking, no weird feeling before it happened, it was just like somebody turning a switch off and on. Aquaplaning of course is a different thing but what is dangerous about it is that the PSM (ESP) really doesn't help too much in such a situation.

RC, that's very weird. A few months back, I was driving my x5 out of the mall and following a simple curving slip road which lead out onto the main road.

All of a sudden, without any warning whatsoever - my front 2 wheels felt like they were skating on ice and the car began to turn direction!

It was a very scary experience, and to this day I don't know how it happened as a) it wasn't wet or cold in anyway b) I wasn't speeding by any accounts.

When I got back onto the road, I gently started twisting the wheel back and forth - it was ok.

It felt like my steering wheel for a fraction of a second was not connected to the front wheels. Very, very weird.

glad nothing happend!

i was wondering: guess it is correct to assume that a c4 would be as prone to aquaplaning as a c2. at least at a constant speed with same tire widths why should there be a difference??

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/car/hydroplaning.html

What causes hydroplaning?
    Hydroplaning can occur when a combination of speed, tire wear, tire inflation or the depth of water on the pavement causes the tires to lose traction. Essentially, a layer of water creates a barrier between the road and your tires. This barrier can cause you to lose traction and glide or hydroplane across the water's surface.

In wet weather, the tires that have been properly maintained and are in good running condition can cut through the water and maintain contact with the pavement at speeds less than 50 km/h. In cases where the tires are excessively worn (bald tires) or underinflated, or the water is very deep, you may still hydroplane at slower speeds.

At higher speeds (50 mph and higher), the wedge of water in front of the tires may pass under the tires and the tires will ride on a cushion of water - resulting in possible complete loss of traction.

Tire manufacturers are continually working to produce tires that give you an edge in wet conditions. hydroEdge(TM), Michelin's latest ultra-premium (mass-market) tire offers superior performance on dry or wet surfaces as well as exceptional hydroplaning resistance.

"The all-season tire hydroEdge features dual center grooves that are not exposed to the sipes or other water execution mechanisms," explains Tony Mougios, Michelin Brand Manager for Canada. "This means that these tires can evacuate water very quickly. Specially angled hydroChutes also reduce the water flow turbulence for excellent overall wet weather performance."

Along with purchasing tires that offer hydroplaning resistance such as hydroEdge, Michelin offers the following tips for preventing and/or dealing with hydroplaning.

To prevent hydroplaning:
    Check your tires and tire inflation regularly

Reduce your speed even more when approaching still water and puddles

Drive in the tracks of preceding vehicles

Should your vehicle hydroplane:
    Shift to neutral (on a standard transmission, depress the clutch)

Activate the hazard lights

Grip the steering wheel firmly and steer where you want to go

Avoid braking or accelerating

Check your rear view mirror

http://www.autoclips.net/detail.php?id_video=4064

video of wet driving condition

If you have summer tires on and it's wet and cold it can get a little interesting at times. I keep my winter tires in place until springtime.

Here in the U.S., aquaplaning can start as slow as 55 mph. When it's really raining bad, and if possible, I drive behind tractor-trailors as they squeegee the water out of road surface, leaving 'tracks'. I don't like to but gotta drive safe.

I'm frequently in the states, always wondering why on rainy streets it gets quickly slippy. I think it has something to do with the asphalt they are using.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689549 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409227 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255735 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234990 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4646 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857969 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774025 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM