Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: The 997 Turbo - Controversial Opinions?

Quote:
    RC said:
    PDK may improve the 0-200 kph time by half a second or so, I don't see any more possible improvement regarding the 0-100 kph performance compared to Tiptronic.
    But PDK will offer other advantages, especially for track racing. Like extremely fast shifting cycles, etc. PDK is rumored to shift around 20-30% faster than the current F1 shifting system on the F430, so you get the point.

In my opinion, manual buyers will be the biggest losers sooner or later. Because the auto tranny will always sell, especially with those spectacular performance numbers but a manual if PDK is available? Doesn't make sense.

Why should the tip version sell well after the PDK introduction? It is slower than PDK, has a very limited fun factor. Just take a look at the resale values of 996TT Tip cars...

I t

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Let's not forget that of all Porsche clien'ts portfolio, the hard core sports car enthousiast represents what, maybe 10 to 20% at most. And of that percentage, maybe another 10% check the internet like us.

The truth is: most of us know many actual and potential Porsche customers. If I talk bad about Porsche (and I will do that for quite some time following the 997TT disaster) that DOES have a bad impact on Porsche's sales. They will regret disappointing their fans

Great post, Fanch!

First your trackday reports, now this!

It made up for yesterday's "doom and gloom" mood on rennteam.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Internet car-forum readers seem to suffer from from some sort of compressed time continuum combined with an obsessive/compulsive disorder.

Hmmmm, I think Frau fritz would wholeheartedly agree with that.

I also found myself agreeing with the rest of your post. Refreshing!

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Let's not forget that of all Porsche clien'ts portfolio, the hard core sports car enthousiast represents what, maybe 10 to 20% at most. And of that percentage, maybe another 10% check the internet like us.

If I talk bad about Porsche that DOES have a bad impact on Porsche's sales.

MKSGR,

No offense but with all due respect, no it doesn't.

To give some perspective, and in order to do that, you need to understand the car industry as a whole. over 40000 cars a year for Porsche, let's say 10000 or those 911. You're MKSGR, the man who does have an influence of the company's sale, so you cancel your 50 Turbos on order. Big deal, they're already sold China and India.

Walter Rohrl stated that sports cars should be 4WD. Fact. In his opinion, all four wheels should be driven. Fair enough but as far as I know, I don't think it has impacted 2WD Porsche cars sales.

Now although you are most probably more influential than Walter Rohrl and you and your entourage buy 1000 Porsche cars a year, you get my point right?

If however you meant to be sarcastic, good sense of humour!

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:

MKSGR,

To give some perspective, and in order to do that, you need to understand the car industry as a whole. over 40000 cars a year for Porsche, let's say 10000 or those 911. You're MKSGR, the man who does have an influence of the company's sale, so you cancel your 50 Turbos on order. Big deal, they're already sold China and India.

Walter Rohrl stated that sports cars should be 4WD. Fact. In his opinion, all four wheels should be driven. Fair enough but as far as I know, I don't think it has impacted 2WD Porsche cars sales.

Now although you are most probably more influential than Walter Rohrl and you and your entourage buy 1000 Porsche cars a year, you get my point right?

No, I don't think he was sarcastic. I think he was totally serious.

And I agree with him. You are under the assumption that he has only a handful of friends that he can trash the 997tt with, but, you're forgetting this is the internet. This is where thousands of pontential turbo can take his message to heart.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:

MKSGR,

No, I don't think he was sarcastic. I think he was totally serious.

And I agree with him. You are under the assumption that he has only a handful of friends that he can trash the 997tt with, but, you're forgetting this is the internet. This is where thousands of pontential turbo can take his message to heart.

I see.

In that case, we fundamentally disagree and that's fine, this is what this forum is about!
    Re my first post on this thread where I express my opinion on forum users/ buyers ratio.

This is actually interesting, I'm gonna contact Porsche marketing through my Ferrari France contacts (they are in touch regularly to discuss sales and quotas) and try and find out if they have a percentage of Porsche costumers who check the internet regularly for car matters.

My guestimate is less than 5% of Porsche clients check car forums.

Interesting task, I'll keep you posted.

And please don't think I'm bashing internet forums at all, I have received so much from Rennteam and I am very thankful, I just try to get some perspective along the lines of W8MM's post in that thread too.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:

The internet is also a "forum" where you are liable to read a lot of BS. Depending on how convincingly you put across your argument, this could just as easily be a place where thousands of browsers just shake their heads in incredulity at any views you might express.

Probably been said before, but I will say it again. Would all this hand wringing be going on, if the Turbo had PDK instead of a Tiptronic which was faster than the 6 speed manual? NO. Yet the PDK, although different, functions similar to a Tiptronic from the driver's seat.

Now if Porsche was not offerring a manual transmission, or making the Tiptronic standard and charging you for the manual (ala Corvette), that would be cause for acrimony. Just like the F1 on Ferrari--it may be faster, but does the Ferrari contingent whine/cry about it, or do they make their choice and be happy? Don't worry. Be happy.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Internet car-forum readers seem to suffer from from some sort of compressed time continuum combined with an obsessive/compulsive disorder.

Never before has it been possible to "compare notes" with other obsessive/compulsive friends, with such good industry connections and high interest levels, all focused on Porsche model details. We seem to know as much or more than most Porsche dealer personnel as soon as (or before) they do. It's a lot of fun, but it creates its own new problems.

One problem is the disappearing sense of romance with new car models. If one can know every last detail about a new Porsche before anyone outside of the factory has even seen one, where is the mystery? In this environment of full, premature disclosure, new car buying becomes less like making a date with an exciting new girl friend and more like bargaining for the services of a hooker. What mystery is left to discover?

When I talk to my car-guy friends about an exciting new car, detailed spreadsheets of other competitive vehicles rarely come up. The discussion usually revolves around more holistic topics. One friend of mine just bought a 1980s Morgan because he isn't interested in newer, more technological cars. He's a friend whose company I enjoy immensely. He's driven Barber races and restores old Ferraris and Astons. We have a great time roaring around his rural neighborhood in my Carrera GT.

This is the common way car guys used to relate -- before the Internet. We didn't go into convulsions over a missing four or five percentage points in horsepower relative to some arbitrary ideal. We actually waited to test drive a new car to see if it was worth our interest. If it turned out to be as exciting to drive as it was to look at or think about, we'd be in love and have to have one.

Sometimes I think that Internet automotive forums sort of coarsen what used to be more fun. This has nothing to do with the actual cars being discussed, but more the wham-bam, thank you Ma'am, sped-up nature of the information flow.

There are some pursuits in life wherein taking one's time and stretching out the experience is more satisfying.

Shouldn't Porsche buying be one of them?

You know what is funny, Mike? I agree and at the same time I disagree with your very intelligent, I have to admit, accurate statement. It is 100% true what you said but on the other hand I think that internet forums also start to create a desire for a certain thing. The only problem about creating such a desire is that at the same time, it also creates high expectactions. I always urged Porsche to officially support internet forums with information, technical details and help for customers. It is their fault that people fall for gossip and urban legends, that people are confronted with dozends of different infos regarding the same subject. How much power? 480? 481? 483? 500? This is how all the confusion starts. In the end, people are actually "overfilled" with information, so they pick up what they liked best. And when the real thing shows up, they're disappointed. This doesn't need to happen. Porsche should learn to control the internet information flow. They can't control it to a full extent but they could place some information here and there, they could correct certain false claims, they could even direct discussions and rumors to a certain direction.

Yes, the internet creates a lot of problems for companies. Nowadays, it is very difficult to "hide" bad products or production flaws. It is almost impossible, word gets out and sooner or later it will be all over the internet. This is actually a very good thing...for the consumer.
    This may be one reason why some companies actually view the internet forums like some sort of vicious thing, something they don't like. Here is actually their logical mistake. Internet forums are a great marketing tool, if they know how to use it. The AMG Owner's Club forum was a first step into the right direction, a private internet forum officially supported by a manufacturer. But unfortunately some club members apparently felt a little bit too elite, in my opinion this "experiment" didn't succeed too well because they didn't have the right people for the job.

Internet forums don't destroy fantasies, they actually create them, sometimes to an extent which isn't good at all.
    But as a car manufacturer you have to understand that such internet forums need a "guiding hand", some sort of PR officer who keeps some sort of two-way communication between the creaters of such forums and the manufacturer.
    But the truth is: manufacturers don't take us seriously. When I had the chance to talk to somebody high up in the Porsche hiearchy, he looked at his watch all the time and fed me with his "only 3% of our customers..." talk. Nothing what I said, nothing what I proposed seemed to be interesting for him. The only reason why he spoke to me was because he was asked to by his boss.

The only reason why I'm disappointed with the 997 Turbo is the fact that I actually hoped to get "my" dreamcar, my "959" if you wish to say so. Maybe it is just a personal thing, maybe I'm getting old, maybe I'm realizing that my financial top level has been reached and that I may not be able to own another supersportscar in the farer away future. I'm confused and I shouldn't be. I hope these aren't the first symptoms of a midlife crisis.

And of course I should learn to "talk" less, sorry guys.

Quote:
    Paul S in TX said:
    Probably been said before, but I will say it again. Would all this hand wringing be going on, if the Turbo had PDK instead of a Tiptronic which was faster than the 6 speed manual? NO. Yet the PDK, although different, functions similar to a Tiptronic from the driver's seat.

Now if Porsche was not offerring a manual transmission, or making the Tiptronic standard and charging you for the manual (ala Corvette), that would be cause for acrimony. Just like the F1 on Ferrari--it may be faster, but does the Ferrari contingent whine/cry about it, or do they make their choice and be happy? Don't worry. Be happy.

The 6 speed manual tranny is standard on all C6 Corvettes.
    Automatics on the 05 and paddle shifters on the 06 are a charged option. The Z06 has a 6 spped only...no options.

RC, don't despair. I'm sure you'll be able to afford plenty of Posches in your future, just keep your head up. Grandpa.
    I say screw Porsche. If they don't want to listen to you, fine! Their problem. Get your 959 (it certainly is as fast) and enjoy it. If you don't like it, you can sell it for the same amount you bought it. It's not your obligation to stick to Porsche when there are so many other alternatives available nowadays.
    Besides, you can always rename Rennteam to Squadracorsa.com and offer your input to Ferrari .

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:

The 6 speed manual tranny is standard on all C6 Corvettes.
    Automatics on the 05 and paddle shifters on the 06 are a charged option. The Z06 has a 6 spped only...no options.

I wasn't aware of that--in C4's and C5 Corvettes the auto tranny was standard equipment; initially the 6 speed was a no-cost option and then on C5's at one point I believe they were charging for it. Former Lingenfelter C4 Corvette owner myself, so I remember the C4 days well.

As for Z06--totally different car than a "Corvette" and I don't use the two interchangeably.

Quote:
    Fanch said:

You could be right and Porsche may have nothing to be concerned about. However, they have assigned more than two dozen employees to surveil/peruse these boards, so, it makes me wonders what they're actually up to.

Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:
    Quote:
    GT said:
    Funny how all ferrari owners seem to describe their car experience just like the way that guy does; amazing sound, people looking at me, best engine in the mkt, legendary car etc etc. I have quite a few friends that talk just like that. Interesting that they rarely actually talk about how it drives, accelerates, breaks, corners etc.
    Funny that..

I agree with you. Most Ferrari's aren't driven to there limits either like the TT's are. They are babied. I personally am not clear on the whole F430 Spyder versus 997 TT. They are 2 completely different cars. I have deposits down on both the F430 spyder and the 997 TT and I am much more excited about the TT then the F430. The TT is a drivers car and will "Easily" outperform the 430 Spyder. The spyder is for people who need attention and want to be seen. You can drive the TT every day the Spyder is rarely driven in my experience. Keep in mind I just sold my 360 modena and my 996 TT because of the new models. I found my TT to be of higher quality then the 360 modena. Until the new 997 TT is on showroom floors and you've seen it in the metal its kinda stupid to say you don't like the looks of the car.

What a total crock! The 430 Spyder is for people who need attention and want to be seen? From my experience here in So Cal (car capital of the world), I know dozens and dozens of people who have F cars and dozens and dozens who have P cars. Generally speaking, the F car drivers are a confident bunch who drive the heck out of their cars and could not care less about attention and being seen. On the other hand, its the P car drivers who are so overly concerned about image and who drive around with their nose in the air.
    (except when they see me blow their doors off in my Z06).
    The old joke about the P car driver and the porcupine has great meaning here in So Cal. So get over yourself!

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:
    Quote:
    GT said:
    Funny how all ferrari owners seem to describe their car experience just like the way that guy does; amazing sound, people looking at me, best engine in the mkt, legendary car etc etc. I have quite a few friends that talk just like that. Interesting that they rarely actually talk about how it drives, accelerates, breaks, corners etc.
    Funny that..

I agree with you. Most Ferrari's aren't driven to there limits either like the TT's are. They are babied. I personally am not clear on the whole F430 Spyder versus 997 TT. They are 2 completely different cars. I have deposits down on both the F430 spyder and the 997 TT and I am much more excited about the TT then the F430. The TT is a drivers car and will "Easily" outperform the 430 Spyder. The spyder is for people who need attention and want to be seen. You can drive the TT every day the Spyder is rarely driven in my experience. Keep in mind I just sold my 360 modena and my 996 TT because of the new models. I found my TT to be of higher quality then the 360 modena. Until the new 997 TT is on showroom floors and you've seen it in the metal its kinda stupid to say you don't like the looks of the car.

What a total crock! The 430 Spyder is for people who need attention and want to be seen? From my experience here in So Cal (car capital of the world), I know dozens and dozens of people who have F cars and dozens and dozens who have P cars. Generally speaking, the F car drivers are a confident bunch who drive the heck out of their cars and could not care less about attention and being seen. On the other hand, its the P car drivers who are so overly concerned about image and who drive around with their nose in the air.
    The old joke about the P car driver and the porcupine has great meaning here in So Cal. So get over yourself!

Ronnie,

SoCal isn't the be all, end all of sports car driving. In the real world, things tend to be reversed, since most F-car drivers I met around here are the ones with their noses high up in the air, while a Porsche owner, whom I met for the first time, enthusiastically let me drive his new C4S, just so I could experience how marvellous the car was.
    So if anyone needs to get over themselves, it's you. Ever since you got here you've been doing nothing but talking smack about Porsches and glorofying that plastic wonder, your Vette. Fine, great car, and relatively light, too. But don't think that we care about Corvettes too much. The 997TT will at least match its performance and it will do it with a lot more style.
    No offense, just my view of things

Yeah ronnie here we exaggerating again. You know dozens and dozens of Fcar owners and dozens and dozens Pcar owners, wow you should start your own car club! I got an idea you could call it "All there cars are nicer than mine of America":!

My friend, no offence and I respect your opinion, but it appears that you and me (and the rest of us for that matter) live in a different planet..
    In any case it not possible to drive the heck out of a ferrari all the time because simply the car is not built for that purpose, it does not have the durability and if one tries to push it hard all the time things start falling off..
    Ferraris used to be pretty bad quality wise, now they re just average.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:
    Quote:
    GT said:
    Funny that..

Ronnie,

SoCal isn't the be all, end all of sports car driving. In the real world, things tend to be reversed, since most F-car drivers I met around here are the ones with their noses high up in the air, while a Porsche owner, whom I met for the first time, enthusiastically let me drive his new C4S, just so I could experience how marvellous the car was.
    So if anyone needs to get over themselves, it's you. Ever since you got here you've been doing nothing but talking smack about Porsches and glorofying that plastic wonder, your Vette. Fine, great car, and relatively light, too. But don't think that we care about Corvettes too much. The 997TT will at least match its performance and it will do it with a lot more style.

No Offense taken. But please get your facts straight. Plastic wonder...the Z is composite, carbon fiber and magnesium. And the 997 will match its performance? The Z is about 400 pounds lighter, has been dynoing at almost 550hp at the crank with almost 500 pound feet of torque, and has a 50-50 weight distribution. Verified numbers: 0-60 in 3.4, 0-100 in 7.4 and 7.429 around the ring on a stock Z with stock runflats. So until the 997TT hits the streets with equal or better numbers, do not talk about matching performance!

Ronnie, how about... you get a clue: we don't care about your Corvette. Otherwise we'd be on gmchat, not rennteam.
    And on top of that, we surely don't give a **** about your curvette on a 997TT thread.

Quote:
    Ronnie, how about... you get a clue: we don't care about your Corvette. Otherwise we'd be on gmchat, not rennteam.
    And on top of that, we surely don't give a **** about your curvette on a 997TT thread.

Thanks!! It was about time!

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:
    Quote:
    GT said:
    Funny that..

Ronnie,

No Offense taken. But please get your facts straight. Plastic wonder...the Z is composite, carbon fiber and magnesium. And the 997 will match its performance? The Z is about 400 pounds lighter, has been dynoing at almost 550hp at the crank with almost 500 pound feet of torque, and has a 50-50 weight distribution. Verified numbers: 0-60 in 3.4, 0-100 in 7.4 and 7.429 around the ring on a stock Z with stock runflats. So until the 997TT hits the streets with equal or better numbers, do not talk about matching performance!

Well, comparing Porsche's factory numbers with magazine tests of the Vette, even the manual 997TT seems to be faster.
    Regarding the plastic wonder, I didn't say a plastic POS, did I? Thing is, the car - to the touch - feels like it's made out of plastic (which many composites actually are a form of).

Quote:
    Verified numbers: 0-60 in 3.4, 0-100 in 7.4 and 7.429 around the ring on a stock Z with stock runflats.

Here we go again, the ring time is not verified by an independant party. Please don't trash this thread with your Corvette once again, it is a good car for the money but who cares, if you can really afford a 997 turbo you won't buy a Corvette, sad but true, sorry.

Also factory performance (ie conservative) for the 997 turbo with overboost is faster than what you mentionned. So why do you even bother? The turbo will be a faster car for more money, everything back in order

In SoCal, I rarely see Ferrari's during the morning commute. I see plenty of Porsche's. During the weekend is when you see the Ferrari's. So, Ferrari's are definitely more babied, at least in the Newport Beach / Irvine area, from my perspective.

This is not what we need on this forum...

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    In SoCal, I rarely see Ferrari's during the morning commute. I see plenty of Porsche's. During the weekend is when you see the Ferrari's. So, Ferrari's are definitely more babied, at least in the Newport Beach / Irvine area, from my perspective.

Agree w/you, Alan. In fact, I'd argue if one only counts '05 or newer, $100K+ P's as "relevant" P's, seeing a relevant P in commute traffic in Nwpt/BevHills is an uncommon sighting, despite many exaggerated claims about how common are P's in LA...

And outside of LA's Westside/NwptCoast, the commuter cars in rest of SoCal are downright depressing....fairly hard to differentiate from commuter cars in any other US city, except they may be older in SoCal....and less likely to have insured and US-legal drivers....

Much more impressive are those jaded places where one can see guys casually commuting through the rain in their 430/612/65/etc.....keeping the local detail guys fully employed and replacing the commuter car in a yr or so anyway to help keep unemployment rates down in Germany/Italy......

I have been following the turbo discussion since a couple of days and I think all of you should slow down a bit.

I think that the expectations are too high.

The 911 turbo is an icon, a mythe BUT it isn't the ultimate dream car. History is repeating and also this time it will be a perfect compromise between luxury and performance. Good value for money but not the fastest, most powerful car in the world.
    And who cares ? No better what car you buy, tomorrow there will always be better, faster and more sexy car....
    Who cares about track times ? If you really are a track man, then you buy a GT3 for example. The Turbo will never be a track champion.

I don't like to say it, but if continues I will get the impression that some guys here are spoiled and have luxury-problems.

Rufie

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:

You could be right and Porsche may have nothing to be concerned about. However, they have assigned more than two dozen employees to surveil/peruse these boards, so, it makes me wonders what they're actually up to.

Interesting. Do you actually know that for a fact?
    Would you share where you got the info from?

RC actually met with a Porsche official recently and the latter told him their guestimate is less than 3% of clients are aware of forums and that basically the firm doesn't really pay attention to what goes on on the web.

And rightly so in my opinion.

I use Rennteam to share opinions and my passion with other sports car enthousiast, not in the hope that Porsche will actually do anything about it!

Quote:

RC actually met with a Porsche official recently and the latter told him their guestimate is less than 3% of clients are aware of forums and that basically the firm doesn't really pay attention to what goes on on the web.

rennteam.com ist stated in wikipedia's entry on porsche as "the place for finding out the latest porsche news":
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche (see end of page)

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:

rennteam.com ist stated in wikipedia's entry on porsche as "the place for finding out the latest porsche news":
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche (see end of page)

Thank you RC! And a few others working in his shadow...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774515 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440151 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261969 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260244 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84797 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879237 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814020 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM