Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Manual vs. Tiptronic...correct numbers or not?

1. press release states still the same: Tiptronic faster than Manual
    2. Porsche website states still the same: Tiptronic faster than Manual
    3. all car magazines (online and written, over 6 up to date) are stating the same: Tiptronic faster than Manual.
    4. the rumors and preliminary information we got months ago said the same: Tiptronic faster than Manual.

Now would somebody point me to a valid source where this "mistake" (which seems to be HUGE if it is a mistake) is mentioned?

If a dealer told you that, forget about it. Dealers probably just want to make sure that not everybody is ordering a Tiptronic now. And I also can imagine that imagine hardcore dealers can't believe that the Tiptronic is faster than manual.

So until we have a proof, we should stick to the offical information. I would be rather surprised to see it being corrected, just check the official press release text (here on Rennteam.com) and you'll understand what I mean. The press release text actually puts an emphasis on the fact that Tiptronic is faster than manual. I don't think this was done by mistake, I think this has been done by purpose.

So as much as we hope for a mistake (I hope that too), it may not be true.

Re: Manual vs. Tiptronic...correct numbers or not?

Quote:
    RC said:
    1. press release states still the same: Tiptronic faster than Manual
    2. Porsche website states still the same: Tiptronic faster than Manual
    3. all car magazines (online and written, over 6 up to date) are stating the same: Tiptronic faster than Manual.
    4. the rumors and preliminary information we got months ago said the same: Tiptronic faster than Manual.

Now would somebody point me to a valid source where this "mistake" (which seems to be HUGE if it is a mistake) is mentioned?

If a dealer told you that, forget about it. Dealers probably just want to make sure that not everybody is ordering a Tiptronic now. And I also can imagine that imagine hardcore dealers can't believe that the Tiptronic is faster than manual.

So until we have a proof, we should stick to the offical information. I would be rather surprised to see it being corrected, just check the official press release text (here on Rennteam.com) and you'll understand what I mean. The press release text actually puts an emphasis on the fact that Tiptronic is faster than manual. I don't think this was done by mistake, I think this has been done by purpose.

So as much as we hope for a mistake (I hope that too), it may not be true.

How could internet rumours, official Porsche press releases, the official Porsche website, and all the car rags. be completely erroneous for months without correction? I bet there's a billboard in Torino, Italy advertising the 997TT-Tip is faster than the manual.

But, RC, go with the manual, no matter what.

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    How could internet rumours, official Porsche press releases, the official Porsche website, and all the car rags. be completely erroneous for months without correction? I bet there's a billboard in Torino, Italy advertising the 997TT-Tip is faster than the manual.

But, RC, go with the manual, no matter what.

Well, maybe Porsche is shocked with the reaction from customers, so they decided to change the specs? Just kidding. Al, I don't know what is happening. CF is usually a very reliable source for information and I hope he is right. But unfortunately I don't think that we're THAT lucky. Regarding my choice: IF the specs are correct and Tiptronic is faster, I'm going with Tiptronic. I can't explain it to you in detail but my wife's Boxster S has Tiptronic and believe it or not, shifting is the best I ever encountered on an automatic tranny car, including the new 7-speed G Tronic from Mercedes. It is fast in auto mode and it downshifts extremely well and when it should, especially in conjunction with the chrono sport package. And if you're using the buttons, you have practically the same shifting speed like with manual. But I still don't like it too much... However: for the best performance I go, for various reasons. I'm also a little bit concerned about the high torque, the manual may not be as "durable" regarding additional torque and power as the Tiptronic is. So as long as nobody OFFICIAL confirms an error with that press release, I go for Tiptronic.

long live TIPTRONIC

Long live the world following the Corvette. 80% of corvettes are auto. Comon people who gives a crap about .2 or .6 lousy seconds. Way to follow the tipical yuppie american way of ill let them do it for me. Pisses me off.

imagine a tuned tiptronic... 0-60 in 3 flat

Well said RC. There's far too much tip prejudice around here. People need to wake up to the fact that at the edge of the performance envelope, a manual gearchange may not necessarily be the best - regardless of how communicative it is. The tip software in the 987/997 is way better than the 986/996 series (especially as you say with Sport Chrono enabled). Don't get me wrong, I love a manual as much as the next man, and may order one again in the future (back pain permitting), but it's good to see that Porsche believe sufficiently in their tip implementation to engineer it to it's fullest potential. Porsche isn't just about the drive right? It's also about the engineering. If it were just about the drive we'd all be in Lotus Elises.

Gaz

Aren't we forgetting a major point: manual Porsches are more fun to drive than tiptronic ones. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the interaction a manual transmission offers. In a manual, the driver is like a dance coordinator, ensuring perfect harmony between the clutch and the shifter. Perhaps I am too young (to be tired of shifting), or perhaps I don't drive in traffic enough. But, .2 or .3 of a second would not make me choose a less fun Porsche. Just thinking of a perfectly executed heel-and-toe downshift is giving me shivers! And, to have the privilege to accomplishing this in a 911 Turbo is even more exhilarating.

If rowing your own boat does not cut if for you, order Tiptronic, be happy and a little faster. However, if you thrive for that heightened sense of driving achievement, don't rob yourself of the enjoyment for an insignificant fact.
    This is why Porsche offers both types of transmissions.

The Manual is on the way out future buyers of Porsche want the Tiptronic.

twinturbo001 was that a joke..?

Let's say the tip version gets faster or equal times at the ring, what do you think will happen?

^ The ice caps will melt, chaos will settle upon the earth, armagedon will follow soon after.

But,RC..

One day i let you see that i'm faster than tiptronic to change gear..i promise you!!

What! It sounds like the manual's end is near! What happened to those who loved to row their own gears and considered triptronic, which is just a fancy name for an automatic, inferior and used to laugh at SMG? Those against torque converters and having only two pedals must ban together and stop this blasphemy!

Quote:
    Bennett said:
    What! It sounds like the manual's end is near! What happened to those who loved to row their own gears and considered triptronic, which is just a fancy name for an automatic, inferior and used to laugh at SMG? Those against torque converters and having only two pedals must ban together and stop this blasphemy!

I still agree with you... I am near to cancel my order and wait for a gt3rs or gt2..
    I cant drive an automatic gearbox

Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:

Heeyyyy slow down my friend I am a future buyer of Porsche and I want it to be a manual .

Quote:
    yarub1 said:
    Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:

Heeyyyy slow down my friend I am a future buyer of Porsche and I want it to be a manual .

Ditto. There's nothing like a manual.

A few tenths of a second gain on acceleration from a STANDSTILL? big deal!!! how is that a substitute for the pleasure derived form the interaction with manual gear box, especially one as good to engage as the Porsche's??

And even then, has anyone stopped to think about the acceleration figures from a roll-on (overtake accel)? that is more important in real world performance, what if the manual with 6 shorter gears is faster then?

There are still many things to be determined and lots of info that need to be released about all this, independant testing, disclosure of more in depth details, etc... but I fear that some traditionally manual drivers caught by the hype will regret getting a Tip a few months down the line after taking delivery of the 997TT and miss the manual box.

http://cars.msn.co.uk/carnews/news14feb06/

I agree Carlos and always have done , stick all ther way ..

throt..

Carlos, I agree with you 100%! Do not forget that rear axle differential lock is available for manual only(code 220). Manual will have more traction on the wet(or even dry) road then TIP. That means-faster around any track, IMO.

That's just crazy to state that manual is on the way out. Will never happen. My tt stick is on order . Will never own a tip w/converter gearbox. I know when I say that countless buyers will not opt for the tip ; just for split seconds.That's not why we buy these cars . If you want a dragster buy one, just don't buy the porsche. Trust me, manual is NOT on the way out.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    690973 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410120 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256179 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235398 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65742 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858782 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775090 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM