Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Stopped by my Porsche dealer today and ordered some new toys

Ok now this all started a few weeks ago when I brought my car in for the clear bra, I got to looking at the Tequipment catalog. When I stopped in a few week ago I bought colored crest center caps and clear signal covers, and then that go me thinking I could just add all the things I didn't get on the car originally. Ok so this is what I ordered so far 1. Sport shifter 2. Aluminum door sills with illuminated Carrera C4S 3. Leather door finishers 4 Fuel Tank Cap with aluminum look finish 5. Double thick steering wheel. And 6. Five millimeter wheel spacers. Well that's it for now, but I did price out the leather center console and it just seemed like stupid money for what it is...well not that I got a bargain on all my other modes. I also just got the clear bra done too, now I can't wait until the weather is better so I can actually take it for a long long drive.

I would also like some comments on anyone with the Sport shifter, I was a little on the fence with this one, does everyone that has it like it? Maybe I should start a new thread with this question but I'll try it here for now.

Re: Stopped by my Porsche dealer today and ordered some new toys

The gas cap is a piece of sh*t btw. It needs to be stuffed back up the a*s of the guy who had the b*lls to put it onto the market.

If you get the short shifter just make sure it's adjusted properly. I've driven two cars with it. One was like stirring concrete and the other like using a scalpel.

Dammit! As I wait for my car I had to buy the cap to settle myself down. How is it a piece of ....??? Dammit!

Gas cap is plastic!

Designed to look like aluminum, but in reality loses out on the touch test. It weighs like plastic and feels like plastic. A big disapointment.

Illuminated sills and 5mm spacers are nice items, those are two things that might be invisible to a casual observer, but you will notice them every day.

I drove a short shifter C4S with 30 miles on the odometer this past weekend. Driving the first couple of blocks, gearchange 1-2 was almost too stiff for me to even want to force, then as I contemplated double-clutching, I blipped the throttle a bit & it clicked into 2nd. After two or three minutes of driving, the short shifter was no problem, and really satisfying.

Strictly subjective opinion-- I personally won't change over to short shift, but only because I think the factory shifter throws and resistance are perfect, but I can totally understand why some would swear by the short shifter's crisp feel of direct input.

As did Le Chef so elegantly above, I would advise AGAINST the aluminum-look gas cap. Once you see it and hold in hand, you will think it's a sick joke that your service manager is a practical joker and painted silver an old Cub Cadet riding mower's gas cap. Trust me, you will want to hurl it across the showroom at the nearest target--could be their Carrera GT, which would cause further problems. The price for the gas cap should be the same as the coffee mug, $12.95! Most Porsche accessories are great quality, but STOP INSULTING US with the POS gas cap, PCNA!

Curious what $$ you were quoted for rear center console in leather & door finishers? pm me if preferred thanks.

jpcourt, did you get a 1/3 hood or full hood on your clear. Did you like it??? I am thinking to get mine done. What brand do you have??

JP - what did they quote you on installation of the door sills and the spacers?

Re: Stopped by my Porsche dealer today and ordered some new

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    The gas cap is a piece of sh*t btw. It needs to be stuffed back up the a*s of the guy who had the b*lls to put it onto the market.

LOL!

I know what you mean (didn't see cap and can't wait to see it now!) about some other stuff; e.g. the quads and the wart.

JP can you post pictures of your illuminated sills? If anyone else has the impossible to find illuminated door sills in Carbon Fiber, I'd appreciate a picture posted.

Quote:
    Damian said:
    Trust me, you will want to hurl it across the showroom at the nearest target--could be their Carrera GT, which would cause further problems. The price for the gas cap should be the same as the coffee mug, $12.95!

truly laughed out loud!
    need that in the middle of a hectic day
    g

I nearly bought it also, but was persuaded otherwise. lol

I've never even seen my fuel tank cap, there no such thing as a self-service fuel pump over here.
    Ignorance is bliss, aahhh

The only thing wrong with the gas cap is the price....It's as well made as any other tequipment item, and frankly I'm glad its alulook, since real aluminum would give it enough weight to make a healthy dink in the paint if you dropped it. What's it really worth...$60....And yes, I did get it (last week) ...along with illuminated door sills, and Porsche sport exhaust (being installed as I type)....And I blame this site along with Rennlist for making me want things I never knew I needed !!!! Is the gas cap a waste of money? Sure, along with all the other crap we put on these cars, but we still do it!!

Quote:
    jfraser said:
    ....And I blame this site along with Rennlist for making me want things I never knew I needed !!!!

How true.

Agree 100%

dumb question: whats the purpose of the 5mm spacers??? any pics??? i test drove with and w/o sport shifter. def worth getting

Quote:
    Damian said:

Curious what $$ you were quoted for rear center console in leather & door finishers? pm me if preferred thanks.

For the door Finishers I was quoted $450 for the pair and the center console in leather was $2300, I passed on the console for now.

Quote:
    Stephenkng said:
    jpcourt, did you get a 1/3 hood or full hood on your clear. Did you like it??? I am thinking to get mine done. What brand do you have??

I wanted the entire hood done but the only did all but about two inches from the top, but they did the entire front fender the mirrors, inside the door handle and also a small piece behind the rear ties. Here is a picture of the hood.

Quote:
    khansdad said:
    JP - what did they quote you on installation of the door sills and the spacers?

Sorry I did even ask, they always take care of me at my dealer, I'll let you know after the installation.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    JP can you post pictures of your illuminated sills? If anyone else has the impossible to find illuminated door sills in Carbon Fiber, I'd appreciate a picture posted.

As soon as they are installed I will take some pics.

Quote:
    Bull&Bear said:
    dumb question: whats the purpose of the 5mm spacers???

It just fills out the wheel wells a little more, I really just like the way it looks. I will take some pictures after the installation.

Quote:
    jfraser said:
    The only thing wrong with the gas cap is the price....It's as well made as any other tequipment item, and frankly I'm glad its alulook, since real aluminum would give it enough weight to make a healthy dink in the paint if you dropped it.

SO you mean it is the same material as the OEM cap but only coated with Aluminum paint finish?

Quote:
    jpcourt said:
    Quote:
    Bull&Bear said:
    dumb question: whats the purpose of the 5mm spacers???

It just fills out the wheel wells a little more, I really just like the way it looks. I will take some pictures after the installation.

It also gives a very slight improvement in handling....

It looks very nice. What is the cost? Was it 3M Aero film??

Quote:
    jpcourt said:
    Quote:
    Stephenkng said:

I wanted the entire hood done but the only did all but about two inches from the top, but they did the entire front fender the mirrors, inside the door handle and also a small piece behind the rear ties. Here is a picture of the hood.

I don't mean to be rude, but from the photo, the installation of the clear bra looks sub-par. I've seen good installations (including mine) that don't show the "orange peel" reflection. Also, there should be zero air pockets (spots that look white) and the trim should be flush and flawless.

Anyway, here are other items for sale by Porsche:

Valve Stem with Cap

Caps in Silver or Gold

Quote:
    StevenShin said:
    Anyway, here are other items for sale by Porsche:

Valve Stem with Cap

I wonder how long they would last before they got nicked

I have these and they actually do make a difference in terms of wheel aesthetic. Without them you notice a rubber nub sticking out of the wheel...

Quote:
    Stephenkng said:
    It looks very nice. What is the cost? Was it 3M Aero film??

It cost $1200 plus tax and was the 3m film, they couldn't get the Aero film.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690509 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409767 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256030 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235280 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65650 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858437 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774721 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM