Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Thats why Tips is faster than manual

An OPTIMIZED setup gives the vehicle the wherewithal to power from zero to one hundred in just 3.7 seconds and to reach 200 km/h after a mere 12.2 seconds.

This is what the Porsche press release says.
    So firstly it not a typo, that Tip is faster.
    Secondly as RC stated before, the secret lies in Networking.
    I am sure that engine and drivetrain management syncs better with Tip.

Just as the Fcars F1 tranny has Launch control.

PDK will be even faster as it shifts faster and networks even better.

Re: Thats why Tips is faster than manual

Quote:
    intouch1 said:
    An OPTIMIZED setup gives the vehicle the wherewithal to power from zero to one hundred in just 3.7 seconds and to reach 200 km/h after a mere 12.2 seconds.

Yes, but I still wonder if Tip networks better because that's how Porsche wanted to program it. The speculation now should be over WHY they would program it this way. Both Tip and manual cars are factory-LIMITED, so unless the Tip is revolutionarily much more efficient than before, this is the way they wanted to set it up-to make the Tip faster than manual-I guess this was one of Porsche's "surprises."

Hi TurboAl,

You certainly could have a point there. But somehow I believe that with all technological advances it could really be that the Tip-Drivetrain-VGT-AWD simply put more power to the road, thus making it faster.

In a straight line at least.

Quote:
    intouch1 said:
    Hi TurboAl,

You certainly could have a point there. But somehow I believe that with all technological advances it could really be that the Tip-Drivetrain-VGT-AWD simply put more power to the road, thus making it faster.

In a straight line at least.

Well, here's the kicker:
    If the car is at its maximum, the boost and powdr are already at their tops. What could "networking" do to improve upon it? Unless Porsche deliberately programs manual cars with less power than Tiptronics, there is no logical reason for this.

Quote:
    Crash said:Well, here's the kicker:
    If the car is at its maximum, the boost and power are already at their tops. What could "networking" do to improve upon it? Unless Porsche deliberately programs manual cars with less power than Tiptronics, there is no logical reason for this.

A torque converter can keep the engine in a mid-RPM range where the flat engine torque curve is multiplied to an even bigger wheel torque than would otherwise be available from an engine with a clutch -- including PDK/DSG.

If the torque converter ratio is, say, 1.5:1, then the engine might be turning 4500 RPM in the Tip configuration while a clutch car would be turning about 3000 at the same wheel speed. If he engine torque is flat from 1900 through 5000 RPM, then the power output from the Tip-equipped motor is 50% higher at that moment in time. The motor RPM might be much higher through some speed ranges in the Tip compared to the manual.

This situation applies to lower RPM sections of a car's acceleration profile. If one integrates WHEEL torque over the operating RPM range, one can calculate vehicle acceleration. With a drive-line using a clutch, the wheel torque is simply the drive-line gear ratio multiplied by the engine torque. With a torque converter, the relationship changes.

I wonder what kind of characteristics the 997TT Tip's torque converter has and how the ECU controls it and the boost profile?

Quote:
    intouch1 said:

I am sorry but that is only marketing talk. They should provide technical information to buckup that claim.

I am sure there is a catch somewhere but it has nothing to do with optimizing values. Technology does not go from being almost 1 second slower to 200kp/h in the 996 to almost 1 second faster just by optimizing (fine tuning) the components.

And the benefits from VTG should be identical between a manual car and an Auto.

I can understand because of greater low rpm torque and power less difference between Tip and Manual in 0-60 (manual has the advantage of preselecting the revs before releasing clutch) but with all the traction from the 4wd and big tyres you can de-clutch at 4000rpm in a Manual and put way more power on the ground. All Launch controls from Ferrari and BMW just do this.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:Well, here's the kicker:
    If the car is at its maximum, the boost and power are already at their tops. What could "networking" do to improve upon it? Unless Porsche deliberately programs manual cars with less power than Tiptronics, there is no logical reason for this.

A torque converter can keep the engine in a mid-RPM range where the flat engine torque curve is multiplied to an even bigger wheel torque than would otherwise be available from an engine with a clutch -- including PDK/DSG.

If the torque converter ratio is, say, 1.5:1, then the engine might be turning 4500 RPM in the Tip configuration while a clutch car would be turning about 3000 at the same wheel speed. If he engine torque is flat from 1900 through 5000 RPM, then the power output from the Tip-equipped motor is 50% higher at that moment in time. The motor RPM might be much higher through some speed ranges in the Tip compared to the manual.

This situation applies to lower RPM sections of a car's acceleration profile. If one integrates WHEEL torque over the operating RPM range, one can calculate vehicle acceleration. With a drive-line using a clutch, the wheel torque is simply the drive-line gear ratio multiplied by the engine torque. With a torque converter, the relationship changes.

I wonder what kind of characteristics the 997TT Tip's torque converter has and how the ECU controls it and the boost profile?

hey Mike did you order tip or manual?

Quote:
    BD 997 said:hey Mike did you order tip or manual?

Neither one, just yet.

I'm waiting for the Cabriolet and more technical details to emerge.

I would also guess that tiptronics cost $2000+ more than an manual transmission.....more money to be made by selling tiptronics??

Mike:

My understanding is that the Porsche tip only uses the torque converter for launch - or so I was told by my service manager.

That's my understanding too, every other gear in the Carrera's ZF autobox is 'locked' too except the 1st and 2nd.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    BD 997 said:hey Mike did you order tip or manual?

Neither one, just yet.

Great minds think alike.

Quote:

How many people beleive the tip will be a must have on cabs from now on?

I wonder what the differences are in overall gearing, in each gear, between the 6-speed and the Tip?

If the Tip can make 60 (or 62) mph without a gear change, then I could understand the acceleration differences.

I think it is possible that the reason Porsche posts the tip time as faster than that of the manual is because Porsche does not use drop clutch methods to achieve their acceleration times. I have no evidence of this, but if we look at porsche's conservative performance claims in past cars it makes sense that they are using a launch method that is more representative of an everyday drivers ability to launch the car quickly. I would not be surprised if manual acceleration times match or exceed those of the tip when an American car magazine such as Road and Track or Motor Trend get their hands on this beast. Road and track is a reputable car magazine and have constantly beaten porsche's claims. The best example being the carera s. Porsche 4.6-4.8, R&T 3.9!!!!

Quote:
    trip said:... an American car magazine such as Road and Track or Motor Trend get their hands on this beast. Road and track is a reputable car magazine and have constantly beaten porsche's claims. The best example being the carera s. Porsche 4.6-4.8, R&T 3.9!!!!

The test car may need a new clutch after they're finished testing, but I'll wager that Car and Driver is likely to obtain the best times out of all the USA magazines.

Quote:
    trip said:
    I think it is possible that the reason Porsche posts the tip time as faster than that of the manual is because Porsche does not use drop clutch methods to achieve their acceleration times.

Then why in the past has Porsche claimed that the 6-speed was faster than the Tip in acceleration performance? A claim that has been correct.

Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    Quote:
    trip said:
    I think it is possible that the reason Porsche posts the tip time as faster than that of the manual is because Porsche does not use drop clutch methods to achieve their acceleration times.

Then why in the past has Porsche claimed that the 6-speed was faster than the Tip in acceleration performance? A claim that has been correct.

Excellent point. I hope that some car magazine WILL test both the tip and manual version of the 997TT at the same time. I don't know if that's ever been done before. Otherwise, we'll never know for sure how the two cars compare.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690691 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409903 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256099 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235345 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65726 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858650 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774854 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM