Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Is it selling?.....Read on....

Quote:
    MKW said:
    From the current issue of autoextremist.com :

" Word from Porsche Land is not good. We're hearing from some very big and very important Porsche dealer principals that the Porsche Cayman S is as close to being dead in the water as a new car can be. "Customers come in, call it a Boxster S Coupe, see it's about ten grand more than a regular Boxster S any way you slice it, mutter something about 'why is a Coupe ten grand more than the convertible?' - and then they either start looking at the Boxster S or they walk out.

I am afraid that's exactly how I view the Cayman. Loved the looks, loved the drive but compared to the Boxster S didn't love the price difference, which in my opinion could only be justified if the car had Carrera (non S) power and was less obviously a Boxster coupe, in particular the interior where the only difference is the shape of the cowl above the instruments.

Quote:
    964C2 said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Quote:
    MKW said:
    From the current issue of autoextremist.com :

" Word from Porsche Land is not good. We're hearing from some very big and very important Porsche dealer principals that the Porsche Cayman S is as close to being dead in the water as a new car can be. "Customers come in, call it a Boxster S Coupe, see it's about ten grand more than a regular Boxster S any way you slice it, mutter something about 'why is a Coupe ten grand more than the convertible?' - and then they either start looking at the Boxster S or they walk out. Porche blew the Cayman pricing, period," was the word from one dealer we talked to who shall remain nameless. "

Bingo.

Should be priced same as the Boxster S. Then you choose, convertible or more power and better handling.

Good luck to the dealer who tries to explain the pricing to a first time Porsche buyer. Porsche might loose him for good, it is a small step to think Porsche is gouging people on the whole lineup.

Also resale value will suffer a lot, in a few years there will be some low priced Caymans out there going for less than regular Boxsters. And the typical Cayman will care about resale value, else he probably would have gotten a 997S instead.

I don't understand all this fuss over Cayman pricing....think of it as a Boxster S with a "Power kit" at only $280 per additional HP, on the 997S you have to pay $650 per HP for it's "Power kit"!!

You forget to discount for the soft top here. Porsche charges $10,000 on the 997 to make it convertible

That makes it a much more expensive powerkit for the Cayman if you use your analogy.

Yawn, yawn!

I salute You Bubblegum- best opinion so far!

All I can say is that after receiving my Cayman a few days ago and driving it a couple hundred miles.....it is WELL worth the money over any Boxster S I have driven hands down. Faster, stiffer, better looking, and no silly folding top!

I am in the same position. Cayman delivered yesterday and agree 100%. Even the things that bothered me before delivery (poor instrumentation, cheap and nasty switch gear, blind spots) do not seem nearly so important now that I am driving the vehicle.

Quote:
    MikeN said:
    All I can say is that after receiving my Cayman a few days ago and driving it a couple hundred miles.....it is WELL worth the money over any Boxster S I have driven hands down. Faster, stiffer, better looking, and no silly folding top!

I received my Cayman a few days ago also. It very much exceeded my expectations.

Quote:
    MikeN said:

Well, you are entitled to your opinion, just remember that other people are entitled to theirs. Just because you don't like convertibles does not make them "silly".

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    You have the last word. However, for the record, I am 5'11 1/2", weigh 180 pds and have all my hair which is all black.

Also, I am VERY comfortable within my skin.

Nick, I didn't want to get personal, sorry, I saw a picture of you and I know that. I just wanted to speculate about some of the reasons somebody would like to attract attention but of course I'm not shrink.
    Maybe you just love the beauty of this car but I think I have a little bit of a point in my previous post, even if it may not be valid for you.

Who is to say that someone who drives a Porsche doesn't want to attract attention to him/herself. On Sunday afternoon on a drive we saw a bright red Ferrari 360 convertible, young good looking guy around 30 with a beautiful woman next to him. Later on we saw a bright yellow gt3 with obese average looking man with his obese average looking girlfriend.

ps This is not made up for the point of this thread.

pps Not that looks are everything.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    MikeN said:

Well, you are entitled to your opinion, just remember that other people are entitled to theirs. Just because you don't like convertibles does not make them "silly".

Have you nothing better to do dreamcar, than try and justify your Boxster purchase?

It's so boring.

I haven't looked on the Boxster board but I'd be surprised if there's a load of "troll" Cayman owners trying to say the Cayman is a better than the Boxster for the hundred time on any thread that's not even related to the original discussion subject.

1. My comments are relevant to the subject - in my opinion the price difference between Boxster S and Cayman is too great for a Boxster coupe with a slightly better engine and slightly better handling due to the more rigid body and the reason why the car may not be selling as well as anticipated. Don't forget that you would normally be asked to pay a higher price for a convertible than the coupe equivalent due to the increased cost of production and that would almost certainly be greater than the cost of the 3.4 engine over the 3.2. Certainly when I visited my Porsche dealer I was greeted by a Cayman "hard-sell" that I never had with any other Porsche model there.

2. I have never said that the Boxster is better or worse than the Cayman. I suggest you re-read my comment. I certainly have not said that the coupe is "silly" and I have never rubbished the Cayman as a car. My only criticism of the Cayman is the price difference, here in the UK anyway, and that more effort was not made to differentiate the car's interior from its roadster stablemate to help justify the price over the Boxster. Some may consider that price is worth paying, and I respect that. Similarly please respect that others, myself included, do not.

3. I don't have to justify my decision to buy a Boxster, any more than you have to do so for the Cayman.

4. I really think that some of you Cayman types should consider moving to another forum if you cannot bear that not everyone prefer the Cayman to a Boxster, or for that matter a 911.

5. Rennteam is a discussion forum, therefore I reserve the right to express my view and make no apology if it happens to be different to yours.

Quote:
    bubblegum said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    MikeN said:

Have you nothing better to do dreamcar, than try and justify your Boxster purchase?

It's so boring.

I haven't looked on the Boxster board but I'd be surprised if there's a load of "troll" Cayman owners trying to say the Cayman is a better than the Boxster for the hundred time on any thread that's not even related to the original discussion subject.

We're not trying to say that Boxsters are better than Cayman, just that Cayman are not our cup of tea, and we'd rather save the cash and get a Boxster.

Unfortunatley, the converse is true - We're getting a little tired of Cayman owners/waiters trying to brow-beat us... Perhaps you lot are the ones that feel the greater need to justify your purchases..

Why not join in on some of the Boxster board discussions? After all, the Boxster and the Cayman are pretty much the same car.

dreamcar and wtsnet,

I like you guys very much. I understand that not every Porsche buyer wants a Cayman. The Cayman S is the Porsche I want. I salute Boxster S owners and owners of 911s of all varieties for your choice. These are all excellent sports cars.

I apologize if I was argumentative and will try to do better.

But, I'm no angel so we'll see.

Quote:
    HHG said:
    I understand that not every Porsche buyer wants a Cayman. The Cayman S is the Porsche I want. I salute Boxster S owners and owners of 911s of all varieties for your choice. These are all excellent sports cars.

Very well said HHG.

We all belong to the Porsche family.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    1. My comments are relevant to the subject - in my opinion the price difference between Boxster S and Cayman is too great for a Boxster coupe with a slightly better engine and slightly better handling due to the more rigid body and the reason why the car may not be selling as well as anticipated. Don't forget that you would normally be asked to pay a higher price for a convertible than the coupe equivalent due to the increased cost of production and that would almost certainly be greater than the cost of the 3.4 engine over the 3.2. Certainly when I visited my Porsche dealer I was greeted by a Cayman "hard-sell" that I never had with any other Porsche model there.

2. I have never said that the Boxster is better or worse than the Cayman. I suggest you re-read my comment. I certainly have not said that the coupe is "silly" and I have never rubbished the Cayman as a car. My only criticism of the Cayman is the price difference, here in the UK anyway, and that more effort was not made to differentiate the car's interior from its roadster stablemate to help justify the price over the Boxster. Some may consider that price is worth paying, and I respect that. Similarly please respect that others, myself included, do not.

3. I don't have to justify my decision to buy a Boxster, any more than you have to do so for the Cayman.

4. I really think that some of you Cayman types should consider moving to another forum if you cannot bear that not everyone prefer the Cayman to a Boxster, or for that matter a 911.

5. Rennteam is a discussion forum, therefore I reserve the right to express my view and make no apology if it happens to be different to yours.

Yawn, Yawn and once again Yawn

This is a Cayman forum correct?....and there is a Boxster forum here also correct?

I fail to see why this Cayman forum is still subjected to opinions of Boxster owners who clearly like their car better....and will probably never own a Cayman. This is a Cayman board riiiiiight??

We are all smart enough here to know that if you bought a Boxster OR a Cayman....that's the car you wanted.....right? So why keep bringing up dumb topics about pricing, etc......it's all been said before and to keep posting about it is ignorant. I don't go over to the Boxster board and continually make a nuisance of myself....so why should it be done here?? I doubt very seriously a prospective Cayman owner will move to a Boxster because it is cheaper.....either you want a Boxster or Cayman....period.

Now lets get to what THIS forum is all about....the Cayman!

Quote:
    JMShrink said:
    Quote:
    HHG said:
    I understand that not every Porsche buyer wants a Cayman. The Cayman S is the Porsche I want. I salute Boxster S owners and owners of 911s of all varieties for your choice. These are all excellent sports cars.

Very well said HHG.

We all belong to the Porsche family.

Yep, agree. Boxster, Cayman,or 911 all brilliant sports cars, no doubt about it. Each to his or her own. We are also all part of the Rennteam family, and it would be a very dull forum if we all agreed. Let's just agree that we don't all agree and move on.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    JMShrink said:
    Quote:
    HHG said:
    Let's just agree that we don't all agree and move on.

Well stop posting a load of recycled old sh-ite on the Cayman forum and we'll give it a go shall we?

Quote:
    toplad said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    JMShrink said:
    Quote:
    HHG said:

Well stop posting a load of recycled old sh-ite on the Cayman forum and we'll give it a go shall we?

Toplad, you just don't know when to be conciliatory, do you?

Quote:
    MikeN said:
    This is a Cayman forum correct?....and there is a Boxster forum here also correct?

I fail to see why this Cayman forum is still subjected to opinions of Boxster owners who clearly like their car better....and will probably never own a Cayman. This is a Cayman board riiiiiight??

We are all smart enough here to know that if you bought a Boxster OR a Cayman....that's the car you wanted.....right? So why keep bringing up dumb topics about pricing, etc......it's all been said before and to keep posting about it is ignorant. I don't go over to the Boxster board and continually make a nuisance of myself....so why should it be done here?? I doubt very seriously a prospective Cayman owner will move to a Boxster because it is cheaper.....either you want a Boxster or Cayman....period.

Now lets get to what THIS forum is all about....the Cayman!

Well said that man ,

I'm not interested in the hairdresser opinion and am bored with the same old dross appearing again and again on this section. I wouldn't go to the Boxster forum and start spouting about Boxster being a bit gay and slower than the Cayman, but for some reason the insecure bunch just can't let it go. How long is the Cayman board going to be plagued by these clowns?

Quote:
    toplad said:
    I'm not interested in the hairdresser opinion and am bored with the same old dross appearing again and again on this section. I wouldn't go to the Boxster forum and start spouting about Boxster being a bit gay and slower than the Cayman, but for some reason the insecure bunch just can't let it go. How long is the Cayman board going to be plagued by these clowns?

I will treat this response with the total contempt it deserves. The more mature Cayman enthusiasts recognised the olive branch and are happy to move on. Not you, obviously.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    toplad said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    JMShrink said:
    Quote:
    HHG said:

Toplad, you just don't know when to be conciliatory, do you?

You've had ya chance, clear off to the Boxster board...I'm thoroughly bored with you and other Boxster owners with an axe to grind over the last few months.

Quote:
    toplad said:
    clear off to the Boxster board...

Sorry I don't take orders from you. If I want to participate on the Cayman board I will continue to do so.

Quote:
    toplad said:You've had ya chance, clear off to the Boxster board...I'm thoroughly bored with you and other Boxster owners with an axe to grind over the last few months.

toplad, I for one don't appreciate your attitude. I don't think it's particularly in-keeping with the nature of Rennteam.

People read and contribute to many of the forums, as there is much common ground between the models and most of the owners.

Ladies...

Your "contributions" are just swipes at the Cayman which have been done to death by yourselves and others for months on end over and over again. See your first post on this thread dreamcar, same sh-it different thread.

If you had something new to say I and others would be interested in your "participation", but to be honest I'm bored of it and am surprised you've nothing better to do than troll the Cayman section churning out the same old plop

toplad, I'm not going to argue with you. It is you that sounds like the stuck record. You obviously don't read my posts (which I endeavour to keep positive and friendly, and are not at all anti-Cayman) so I'm not going to read yours. You are now the first person on my ignore list.

Boo-Hoo

Quote:
    HHG said:
    dreamcar and wtsnet,

I like you guys very much. I understand that not every Porsche buyer wants a Cayman. The Cayman S is the Porsche I want. I salute Boxster S owners and owners of 911s of all varieties for your choice. These are all excellent sports cars.

I apologize if I was argumentative and will try to do better.

But, I'm no angel so we'll see.

988 Roadster

Toplad and wtsnet, you are both going to hell when the new 988 Roadster is released.

The 988 uses a improved 987/C7 Cayman platform with a detachable targa roof panel and has a notchback 914/CGT like side roof profile.

Yes, it will have 7 more hp than the Cayman S, weigh between the 987S and the Cayman S, have more luggage room than either, a bigger gas tank and features a integrated flatscreen insturment display.

Goodbye Boxster Cabrio, Goodbye Cayman hatchback!

Hello 988 Roadster!

Re: 988 Roadster

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    The 988 uses a improved 987/C7 Cayman platform with a detachable targa roof panel and a notchback 914/CGT like side roof profile.

And it converts to a boat with the aid of new improved side airbags? Cool!
    Hell? I'm probably already there!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777847 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441947 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262896 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261119 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85385 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5652 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880800 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816311 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM