Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

noone1:
    crayphile:
    noone1:

Semi slicks in cold weather, if dry, is fine.

I'm not sitting in that car with youSmiley. Super Trofeos are very slippery at low temps.

So are Cup2 in 40F rain...

bla bla bla - this thread is occupied for quantum physics and Sheldon Cooper Smiley

--

AM

RC:
    noone1:

Surface cracks can appear and while they may be cosmetic at first, they can lead to serious damage later on.

So no, it is not fine (especially at temps under 0°C).

tire_zpsfbc0ec10.jpg 

Pirelli merely says it doesn't recommend Trofeos for wet or cold weather under 7C. It says grip is substantially reduced in cold weather and that they can aquaplane in the wet. Says nothing about the tires being damaged by the temperature.

https://www.pirelli.com/mediaObject/pirellityre/ww/en/catalogue/motorsport/pzero_trofeo/PZeroTrofeoR_2014_ENG/original/PZeroTrof...

ALDO:
    Carlos from Spain:
    ALDO:

It has something to do how much energy is needed to heave electrons on another energy level...... or so Smiley I mean why you don´t see it with naked eyes .... 

If the photons coming from the light source (ambient light) do not have enough energy to bump up the electrons of the material's atoms to a higher energy orbit, the photon will travel right through the atom, in other words, it won't be reflected back to your eyes, and so the material will let light pass through it and be transparent to light, i.e. invisible. I'm guessing this is what he was talking about in reference to that slippery frost.

Its very interesting. The way you see light reflected by visible objects is because the photon's energy is enough to be able to hit the electron and the electron absorbs the photon, and that energy causes the electron to jump to a higher outer orbit which has higher energy, then electron will then drop back down to its initial orbit while at the same time produces a photon that will be sent back towards your eye. Electron orbits have electrons of a quantized energy that corresponds to that orbit, if the photon's energy does not match the necessary energy of the electron, the electron will not be able to jump orbit and so there is no interaction with the photon, and the photon is not reflected back, it goes through.

Depending on how the material has its atoms bounded together, its electrons need more energy or less to be bumped by photons. So visible light does not have enough energy for example to be able to bump the electrons of glass for example, or of diamond, though diamond is so hard (the hardest of all) that it will slow down the photons causing them to change the angle of direction more than glass as they pass though (like a prism), which is why it makes it sparkle more than any other gem since light is more twisted all over the place as it crosses it many plains with which it was cut with, and comes out in many angles, which you see as shining or sparkling. 

This is also why metals are shinny, since they atoms are bonded via metallic bonds and in such bonds the electrons are free to move around the group of atoms like a collective cloud, so its very easy to bump those electrons and the photon reflect back at you, and this is also why metals are such good conductors since those electrons can move so freely, compared to ioninc bonds or especially covalent bonds which hold the electrons very tightly (ie. diamond is carbon atoms with covalent bonds in a crystal lattice).

And this is how in RT we can highjack a McLaren thread with quantum physics SmileySmiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

maybe we don´t share the same political opinion but at least both of us seems to love physics - in this case I can sacrifice my beloved McLaren thread Smiley

Smiley amiguitos.gif

--

Here's McLaren's version of Ferraris drift control. Guess it's the appease the journalist and the people who pretend like they actually drift their car.

NEW ACTIVE CHASSIS CONTROL TIPS BALANCE IN FAVOUR OF 
    McLAREN’S SECOND-GENERATION SUPER SERIES

1 Feb 2017

• McLaren Proactive Chassis Control II system monitors dynamic and driver inputs to provide outstanding breadth of handling balance, grip and ride comfort
    • Drivers will be able to choose Comfort, Sport, or Track chassis modes to deliver optimal performance according to personal preference and driving conditions
    • McLaren Variable Drift Control delivers additional enjoyment in Sport and Track modes, with finger-tip control of Electronic Stability Control intensity

The second-generation McLaren Super Series, which will make its public debut at the 87th Geneva International Motor Show on March 7, will have the widest breadth of dynamic ability of any McLaren and set new standards for Super Series’ cornering performance, driver enjoyment and ride comfort.

An advanced new generation of McLaren’s multi-mode, Proactive Chassis Control is key to the elevated dynamic performance of the new McLaren supercar. Drivers can select Comfort, Sport, or Track mode according to personal preference and Proactive Chassis Control II will deliver the optimal balance of cornering grip, dynamic response, and comfort to best suit the individual mode and the driving conditions.

Proactive Chassis Control II uses multiple sensors – 12 more than on previous Super Series models, including an accelerometer on each wheel hub – to ‘read’ inputs from the road and measure tyre contact patch. The information is analysed in milliseconds by the ‘Optimal Controller’ algorithm at the core of the system and suspension damping immediately optimised accordingly.

“Proactive Chassis Control II generates a significant amount of additional grip, but not at the expense of the balance and feel of the car,” explained Mark Vinnels, Executive Director – Product Development, at McLaren Automotive. “The depth and breadth of handling precision and ride comfort in combination with the peerless level of driver involvement in the second-generation McLaren Super Series is simply extraordinary.”

An additional new feature, McLaren Variable Drift Control, will provide even greater involvement for a driver who wants to fully explore the dynamic ability of the second-generation Super Series, allowing the level of Electronic Stability Control intensity to be varied with the swipe of a finger across a control displayed on the central infotainment screen.

Full details of the second-generation McLaren Super Series, including pricing, will be confirmed in March when further images will also be made available.

7424-NEW+ACTIVE+CHASSIS+TIPS+BALANCE+IN+FAVOUR+OF+McLARENS+SECOND-GENERATION+SUPER+SERIES.jpg

noone1:

The gearboxes in McLaren are from Graziano.

I stand corrected then.

--

ALDO:
    noone1:
    crayphile:
    noone1:

I'm not sitting in that car with youSmiley. Super Trofeos are very slippery at low temps.

bla bla bla - this thread is occupied for quantum physics and Sheldon Cooper Smiley

Ah, Sheldon...my hero. Smiley

Bazinga... Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Whoopsy:
    noone1:

The gearboxes in McLaren are from Graziano.

I stand corrected then.

Funny, Graziano also seems to make the Huracan and R8 gearboxes if I'm not mistaken.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    ALDO:
    noone1:
    crayphile:
    noone1:

Ah, Sheldon...my hero. Smiley

Bazinga... Smiley Smiley

We all have a little Sheldon inside... I say we rename this thread to "Fun with flags" Smiley

--

I prefer "fun with Penny" indecision

Kaley-Cuoco-86.jpg

--

from fchat member

Just went to McLaren 720S launch at MTC. Was conducted in a mind blowing minimalist auditorium, the car is STUPENDOUS. Totally new carbon monocoque.

Design - totally new, eradicated side vents, glass roof with centre carbon support (visible). New interior also moves game on totally. Overall like a baby Pagani, all mauled look has gone. All plastic interior gone - aluminium. All LCD, screen folds away.

Performance - quicker than LT, 0/200 in less than 7.5 seconds. Fastest gear change of any production car.

Fraction above 488 money.

Ferrari will not know what to make of this car, its that big a step up. 

I am a massive Ferrari fan. This car will be a wake up call.

Don't all start waffling on about depreciation etc, just celebrate innovation and guts to do this in 6 years !

Spy shots do not do this car justice.

kingjr9000:

from fchat member

Just went to McLaren 720S launch at MTC. Was conducted in a mind blowing minimalist auditorium, the car is STUPENDOUS. Totally new carbon monocoque.

Design - totally new, eradicated side vents, glass roof with centre carbon support (visible). New interior also moves game on totally. Overall like a baby Pagani, all mauled look has gone. All plastic interior gone - aluminium. All LCD, screen folds away.

Performance - quicker than LT, 0/200 in less than 7.5 seconds. Fastest gear change of any production car.

Don't all start waffling on about depreciation etc, just celebrate innovation and guts to do this in 6 years !

There is some post reveal exuberance there, but largely accurate. The other big error is "Ferrari will not know what to make of this car, its that big a step up. " Ferrari always respond and so do Porsche for that matter. Nevertheless - hats off to McLaren. NDA kicks in now Smiley

Anyone can make their car easily as fast... If they want to. Exotics have always made slow progress to milk and sure due to the inevitable plateau. With more competition and McLaren pumping out such high performance cars so quickly, everyone has to up their ante. Expect Ferrari to turn up the boost big time now, as well as Porsche. They have no choice. 

crayphile:
    kingjr9000:

from fchat member

There is some post reveal exuberance there, but largely accurate. The other big error is "Ferrari will not know what to make of this car, its that big a step up. " Ferrari always respond and so do Porsche for that matter. Nevertheless - hats off to McLaren. NDA kicks in now Smiley

Of course, there is quite some time to cover until the 488 replacement will be ready. That would make it a bit harder for Ferrari this time. But let's wait and see if there is any need for a reaction at all... I am very excited to learn more about the 720s.

I am more worried about Porsche because even with the new 991 GT2 RS, they won't have a car to compete with the 720. Not even close. yes

--

RC:

I am more worried about Porsche because even with the new 991 GT2 RS, they won't have a car to compete with the 720. Not even close. yes

Performance wise, I expect to be very close... 

RC:

You are probably thinking of straight-line performance. However, where McLaren will have a much harder time is in terms of track performance. The GT2RS will certainly amazing in this field Smiley

Boyko23:
    RC:

Performance wise, I expect to be very close... 

0-200 kph in 7.5 seconds? Not even in your dreams. Smiley Yes, I am thinking straight line performance and let's be honest, nobody buys a 720 or GT2 RS specifically as a track car.

--

RC:

0-200 kph in 7.5 seconds? Not even in your dreams. Smiley Yes, I am thinking straight line performance and let's be honest, nobody buys a 720 or GT2 RS specifically as a track car.
    --

Official time for the 720 is 0-120mph (192 kmh) in 7,6s. 

0-200 kmph should easily be transformed into 7,8-8,0 which is extremely fast of course, but not difficult to reach with 650+ hp striped out 911 GT2 RS. Old one was 9,4s, I think... 

Boyko23:
    RC:

--

0-200 kmph should easily be transformed into 7,8-8,0 which is extremely fast of course, but not difficult to reach with 650+ hp striped out 911 GT2 RS. Old one was 9,4s, I think... 

Didn't know that, thanks for clarifying. This isn't really that impressive then, so maybe the GT2 RS could catch up but I have my doubts. First rumors indicated 700+ hp for the new GT2 RS and now we are at 650. Ouch. Smiley

--

720S.jpg

Not really a good photo to judge the design I'm afraid. Love the black wheels though. indecision

--

RC:

Not really a good photo to judge the design I'm afraid. Love the black wheels though. indecision

i think it looks pretty hyper-car-ish. i do not know though whether is is the final design or not though. today i have heard 1280kg with fluids. if so .....well....then it is pretty sensational.

pmarkow:
    RC:

i think it looks pretty hyper-car-ish. i do not know though whether is is the final design or not though. today i have heard 1280kg with fluids. if so .....well....then it is pretty sensational.

The front of the car full on takes some getting use to but side on, rear, and 3/4 views are excellent.

pmarkow:
    RC:

The photo is a bit distorted in my opinion or it has been shot at a weird angle but maybe I'm wrong.

1280 kg would be indeed sensational for a 700+ hp car.

--

RC:
    pmarkow:
    RC:

The photo is a bit distorted in my opinion or it has been shot at a weird angle but maybe I'm wrong.

rendering apparently

pmarkow:
    RC:
    pmarkow:
    RC:

rendering apparently

Why would I actually comment a render (stupid me)? Smiley

I am quite positive that the real thing looks good, now it remains to see how good. I've never been a big fan of McLaren design (not that I like my R8 design much better, it is just more subtle), I like Ferrari and Lamborghini design better.

Very curious about the new 720, especially regarding the tech. Smiley

--

I really interested in seeing the interior. The dash sounds cool. It raises and lowers to reveal more/less depending on what mode you're in. Also, the glass roof is nice. Aside from saving a little weight, there's really no reason not to have a glass roof in any given car IMO. I think every car should have them.

Boyko23:
    RC:

--

Where do you see the official time? Someone who went to the event said 0-200 kph in under 7.5s. 

RC:
    pmarkow:
    RC:
    pmarkow:
    RC:

rendering apparently

Why would I actually comment a render (stupid me)? Smiley

why? it is from the horse's mouth:::)))

I am quite positive that the real thing looks good, now it remains to see how good. I've never been a big fan of McLaren design (not that I like my R8 design much better, it is just more subtle), I like Ferrari and Lamborghini design better.

Very curious about the new 720, especially regarding the tech. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688975 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408915 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255621 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234881 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65461 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857737 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773693 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM