Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: First "official" 997 GT3 Picture

Quote:
    RC said:
    Like we predicted: 415 HP and 996 Turbo S performance. A very nice car and compared to a fully equipped 997 Carrera S with powerkit a real "bargain".
    The weight figure is actually a little disappointing but the RS will be lighter, so here's the "catch".
    For serious track racing, getting the RS is definetely the better choice.

The word of the Master!

I am confident that the PASM is different as there is no PSM but TC.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Carlos, I understand your concerns about the artificial feel of PASM. I believe your concern is because of how PASM changes the damping factor based on the driving conditions, regardless if in "PASM sport" mode or not. But if the PASM didn't intervene in those cases and the damping factor was the same in "PASM sport" mode as that of the -20mm suspension, you really can't tell the difference between the two correct? And the option of having a "softer ride" setting of PASM would then be a plus. Wouldn't this be a good idea for the GT3 if there was a "non-intervening PASM"? I could see having the softer setting for the GT3 for less than optimal roads.

Yes but there a price to pay for the compromise of having two different dampening settings in the shocks, and that is that the springs cannot vary its stiffmess accordingly to match the dampning of the shocks, thefore the is a compromise to be made in the springs efficiency. Its like putting sport shocks on standard springs. Thats the problem, no matter how sporty the setting on the shock's dampning the springs will not be a perfect match, they will have to be midway in between soft and hard settings. I don't know if I explained that clearly, but hope you get what I mean.

A different matter is if they have electronic dampning shocks but with no normal setting, only the sport setting and then the springs could be tailored only to the sport setting, that would work, but then... what is the point of using electronic dampning? the traditional shock/springs are proven to be the most efficient for handling and are also more versatile since the GT3 is meant for track use, if you have PASM you will likely not be able to upgrade the suspension or install coilovers, etc. It doesn't make sense on a track oriented car like the GT3. But lets wait and see what they reffer to PASM in the GT3, because its still not clear that its going to be like in the Carrera, for example the Cayenne pneumatic suspensions are called PASM as well and its a totally different system that doesn't have anything to do with the PASM on the Carerra...

I completely forgot about the springs. Doh! More coffee.

You and every one will praise the new system once you have tried it.

Do you honestly think that they would introduce a GT3 that is inferior to a 997C2S in any aspect whatever option it might have.

It will meet or exceed all of our expectations.

Quote:
    CF said:
    Do you honestly think that they would introduce a GT3 that is inferior to a 997C2S in any aspect whatever option it might have.

In the sportiness department?? not a chance! that would be suicide. Thats why we are all missing something about this PASM on the GT3, it cannot be what we know it to be in the Carrera/Boxster.

Either that, or its only for the US spec GT3's since there is no -20mm/LSD offered on the US spec 997S... but that would be a disappointment.

RC - is there any chance for an optional "race" PSM as was rumored in the past? Also am I seeing this correctly that NAV will be an option on this car?

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

Either that, or its only for the US spec GT3's since there is no -20mm/LSD offered on the US spec 997S... but that would be a disappointment.

Why Carlos? American's don't need the -20mm/LSD, they don't know what's a turn!
    Joking guys, don't take it seriously

Do you know if in the American depliants the cars are the same or they have as picture a car with American specs (rear protection on the bumper, yellow sidelights, etc)?
    Because if the pics are usually the same, then it's definetely PASM for all cars.

Quote:
    Raz (NC) said:
    RC - is there any chance for an optional "race" PSM as was rumored in the past? Also am I seeing this correctly that NAV will be an option on this car?

You already got the "race PSM" on the GT3...TC (traction control). This is NOT a limited slip differential! It is what the names says it is, incl. some PSM functions. I think this is a good compromise for those who think that PSM is useless but still don't know how to drive at the limit without crashing the car.

Regarding PASM: as far as I heard, Porsche has improved PASM dramatically for the 997 Turbo and the GT3.
    Regarding the PCM system on the picture: as far as I heard, the PCM is a standard option for the GT3. It can be deleted in the clubsport version (or it is automatically deleted, I don't remember).

And a little warning to those who want to order the clubsport version: you're loosing the thorax airbags which are usually integrated into the front seats. If you're planning to use your GT3 mostly for street usage, don't get the clubsport package or the carbon shells. The thorax airbags are a very important safety feature, especially for driving on public streets.

Quote:
    CF said:
    997 GT3 - US introduction Aug 2.
    MSRP $ 106.000

Same top speed as the turbo with less power. And it's much better looking. This seems to be the bargain Porsche.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Raz (NC) said:

You already got the "race PSM" on the GT3...TC (traction control). This is NOT a limited slip differential! It is what the names says it is, incl. some PSM functions. I think this is a good compromise for those who think that PSM is useless but still don't know how to drive at the limit without crashing the car.

Regarding PASM: as far as I heard, Porsche has improved PASM dramatically for the 997 Turbo and the GT3.
    Regarding the PCM system on the picture: as far as I heard, the PCM is a standard option for the GT3. It can be deleted in the clubsport version (or it is automatically deleted, I don't remember).

And a little warning to those who want to order the clubsport version: you're loosing the thorax airbags which are usually integrated into the front seats. If you're planning to use your GT3 mostly for street usage, don't get the clubsport package or the carbon shells. The thorax airbags are a very important safety feature, especially for driving on public streets.

Thanks for the info - are you saying that the TC in the GT3 is more than the TC in the Carrera GT for example? What PSM functions does it contain? Are we talking about something as advanced as yaw/spin control, or still more rudimentary traction control?

Wow. Top spying job... I took the liberty of 'wallpapering' one of the shots:

RC ,please explain me the difference about PCM an TC .
    AS you know the TC is the stardard on Carrera Gt ......
    the TC is similar to the Mk1 MB Slk ?

in 40000 km the PCM (in sport mode) saved me and my 997S 3 times during a lot of trackdays I did .

I the street use the Psm is an important option ! during a driving school expert drivers explained us how the psm is important for safety .
    If u are in a slippery road and ,at 60kmh ,you need to use the steeering hard 2 times in both directions it's obvious that the car loose the control . (same loose when 2 Fia-Gt drivers were driving that cars,no ways)
    in the track ok ...but in street you may kill someone .
    psm is a great think ....and if someone want to drive hard in the track ,he can turn it off ......

look : http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8871671328066420740&q=nurburgring

Quote:
    sergini said:
    RC ,please explain me the difference about PCM an TC .
    AS you know the TC is the stardard on Carrera Gt ......
    the TC is similar to the Mk1 MB Slk ?

I think you're mixing up PSM with PCM (Porsche Communication Management). Yes, the TC is a similar system to the Carrera GT, of course adapted to the 911. It is not a real PSM system but if offers some functions which are part of PSM too. Mainly to provide superior traction/slip control.

Quote:
    Captain Bady said:
    don't need the -20mm/LSD, they don't know what's a turn!

Captain - Come visit us in Colorado - we have a few turns here (with one paved road that goes up to the top of a mountain 14,300ft or 4,400m tall)

I am very disappointed that GT3 doesn't have LSD. It's one of the most important component of a sport car. PSM shouldn't be the reason why it doesn't have LSD as they both work independently to each other.

PSM - brakes indivdual wheels to correct slip angle.
    LSD - ensure the power are equally transfer to both rear wheels (must have for drifting)
    TC - cuts out power while the rear tyres lose traction.

I know for fact that the RS have LSD, you are also able to order special color like (baby blue, green...) just like in 964 RS era. I have also seen pictures of the new RS.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said: . . . or they are changing the GT3 philosophy into a "softer GT3" and a true-GT3 now to be called GT3RS.

Doesn't an upshift indicator light make it pretty clear that this is a 911 for dummies?

Quote:
    william said:
    I am very disappointed that GT3 doesn't have LSD. It's one of the most important component of a sport car. PSM shouldn't be the reason why it doesn't have LSD as they both work independently to each other.

William - Don't worry, the GT3 has LSD. It has TC instead of PSM, so that it can keep an aggressive LSD. Relax

Quote:
    Don't worry, the GT3 has LSD

Excellent.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    Captain Bady said:
    don't need the -20mm/LSD, they don't know what's a turn!

Captain - Come visit us in Colorado - we have a few turns here (with one paved road that goes up to the top of a mountain 14,300ft or 4,400m tall)

Ohhh yes, I remember that road. I was in Denver in the summer of 1994 and I did a lot of driving in the mountains in my Mustang GT convertable. No doubt about it, Colorado is a beautiful state and it has good roads for "spirited driving".

Quote:
    It has TC instead of PSM, so that it can keep an aggressive LSD

In the Ferrari 430, you are able to choose how aggressive the LSD to be. If you set the traction control and stability control to completely off. The differetial will set to most aggressive. I think it's a very innovative solution that Porsche should have for the GT3.

excuse ne Rc ! yesterday was too late ...lol

guys ,it's impossible that a track oriented car like the Gt3 hasn't the Lsd !
    that is a first presentation brochure (non options ,no colours), they did a summary ......

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said: . . . or they are changing the GT3 philosophy into a "softer GT3" and a true-GT3 now to be called GT3RS.

Doesn't an upshift indicator light make it pretty clear that this is a 911 for dummies?

Not really, that is an option for tract oriented cars and bikes, the reason for it is so that when you are driving at the limit you are very busy looking at the road, and a bright indicator light that lights up when its time to upshift to the next gear, allows you to not take you eyes of the road to look at the tach. My sportbike has this for example.

So does my bike. In fact it has 2. One to say nearly there. The next to say you're about to hit the limiter. It's great because when you are really focussing on the road it sits in your peripheral vision and lets you know when to change without taking your eyes off the road or the guy your about to overtake!

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:

I've seen a similar thing on many professional race cars, so I wouldn't say this is something for dummies. I'd rather think of it as a "gimmick" to remind buyers of the GT3 "roots". Same applies to the yellow markings and the soft leather (Alcantara?) stuff.

I'm actually happy to see that Porsche understood that the interior has to have little differences too, not only the exterior. Back in the 996 days, all cars were looking the same in the interior, only the GT3 got the GT3 lettering in the rev counter and later on the Turbo, Turbo S, etc.

But still...there could have been a little bit more difference in my opinion.

I am sure that they would be options for the rest of the line up sooner or later.

Another doctored pic, with the lens flare removed etc:

I love the Turbo..but this GT3 looks really gooood!!!!

Quote:
    MSB said:
    I am sure that they would be options for the rest of the line up sooner or later.

I'm not sure about it, Porsche always leaves a few little things for the top models.

Beautiful! I really like the look of the GT3 over the TT. And very much to my own surprise I think I'm going to go with white rather than black on the color.

Amir

Yep , white exterior and yellow pccb's along with those black dials with yellow needles its then has to be a must to have the yellow seatbelts also ,, awesome..

throt..

White with matte black wheels.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762954 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435632 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260651 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257668 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80976 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5322 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872540 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807956 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM