Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Cayenne Turbo S Information - Online Now

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=175390&an=0&page=0#175390

Much more pictures to follow this evening.

Caution: some Cayenne Turbo S brochures (which should be available at dealers soon) show the Cayenne Turbo S with the optional SportDesign Bodykit.
    This kit is not a standard option for the Cayenne Turbo S!

Re: Cayenne Turbo S Information - Online Now

Thanks RC.

Pretty impressive .

Don't tell me you're tempted to upgrade yours .

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Thanks RC.

Pretty impressive .

Nope, not at all. I'm tempted to put my hands on the software but otherwise, there is no technical difference I can see. Maybe Porsche can "enlighten" us. On the other hand, even if the Turbo S seems to be a ripoff at first look, it isn't. Compared to a Cayenne Turbo equipped with the optional powerkit, the Turbo S is a good offer. But still a little bit...pricey.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Thanks RC.

Pretty impressive .

Nope, not at all. I'm tempted to put my hands on the software but otherwise, there is no technical difference I can see. Maybe Porsche can "enlighten" us. On the other hand, even if the Turbo S seems to be a ripoff at first look, it isn't. Compared to a Cayenne Turbo equipped with the optional powerkit, the Turbo S is a good offer. But still a little bit...pricey.

Any visual differences other than the "S" at the rear? Be happy RC! When ever you think prices are bad remember there are always people who have to pay x2 more somewhere in the world... like me

There are NO visual differences between the Turbo S and the Powerkit Turbo, with one exception: the well known sport pipes which are already available for all Cayenne for some time now. The only visual difference between the Turbo S and the standard Turbo are the bigger brake discs front and rear.

And here are the promised pictures, nothing spectacular and especially no exterior pics since there is nothing special to see.

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    http://www.easier.com/view/News/Motoring/Porsche/article-34724.html

Just curious: why do you post this link if we have the same information available in the NEWS section? Just curious???

RC, as always, thanks for keeping us updated. I'll be very interested to hear what you find out about the real differences between the Turbo-S and the Powerkit. Seems like it wouldn't take much software tweaking for an extra 21 hp, so was this just a matter of taking time to test the potential impact on engine durability before releasing this incremental upgrade? If so, could you get the software for your PowerKit, as you mentioned, and would there be a trade-off in durability?

Or, since most CTs dyno out at well above 450 hp, is this just the PowerKit with more optimistic/realistic specs? If so, will they continue to offer the PowerKit?

Since I'm easily confused, it will take me a while to digest the price list posted by CF, but, given the "freebies" on the Turbo S, why would anyone buy the PowerKit version? And, if there really is anything technically superior, why is the price so low? Of course, I'm gagging as I type such a ridiculous phrase, - I mean "low" compared to the Powerkit, which has dropped considerably in price, but with which you would still have to pay for either the 19" or 20" wheels, in addition to the TPMS and sport tail pipes, if you want them.

I'm so confused

BTW, I have a couple of questions on the specs:
    As for the top speed of 167 mph, haven't you already bettered that in your truck? Also, the increased boost by 0.2 bar "up to 1.9 bar." I assume that is really 0.9 bar, and haven't you already posted a pic of your gauge pegged past 0.8?

Call me a cynic, but I smell another "end-of-model-cycle" marketing ploy here.

1. the difference between the powerkit and the Turbo S seems to be software related only. There are no known technical differences that we would be aware of so far.
    It is not very unlikely that Porsche will offer an "update" sooner or later, maybe after the facelift comes. I don't think this update will be free of cost but who knows...?!
    2. there is a big difference between REAL speed and speedo speed. The Cayenne Turbo S is limited to 270 kph as far as I know, this is valid for the powerkit version too.
    Of course REAL 270 kph may be 285 +/- a few kph on the speedo. I hope this clarifies my claim for the higher speed I achieved in my car.
    3. yes, this is an end-of-market-cycle ploy but I think it is a good offer compared to the optional powerkit.

And funny enough: after the powerkit retrofit in my car, my car documents have an addition, saying: new engine type, the Cayenne Turbo engine number and at the end an S. Well...

Thanks, again. All the speedos I've ever had run about 2-5% fast, so I'm well aware of the discrepancy, but I was accounting for that, so I must have just been misremembering your report. Either way, I'm guessing you still have the record for a private citizen on a public roadway in a Cayenne.

Which paperwork are you referring to? I'll have to go back and check my own.

Quote:
    sigs said:
    Which paperwork are you referring to? I'll have to go back and check my own.

I'm referring to the car documents I have to carry with me all the time. After the powerkit retrofit, the technical authoroties added regarding engine data: engine type M48.50S.

RC, this S in your car documents could be for SCHARF!

Thanks, will check my assorted documents tonight.

Checked through my documents. Nothing from the dealer with any more info than the window sticker. Did get a "Certificate of Authenticity" from PCNA that lists an engine number and transmission number, but no engine type. Anyone in the US get any documents similar to what RC describes?

Quote:
    sigs said:
    Checked through my documents. Nothing from the dealer with any more info than the window sticker. Did get a "Certificate of Authenticity" from PCNA that lists an engine number and transmission number, but no engine type. Anyone in the US get any documents similar to what RC describes?

Trust me, anybody who retrofitted the powerkit has actually the "S" engine. Just with 21 HP less...on the paper.

Mine was a Powerkit from the factory, and I certainly trust what you are saying about the engine. But now you've got me curious about this documentation of the engine type. You say you are required to carry these documents in the car? Is that something you have to do to get warranty service from Porsche, or is that a governmental regulation?

I can't recall getting such documents with any car I've ever bought. The Certificate of Authenticity from PCNA has more info than anything I've ever gotten, but there is no engine type. Of course, with an actual engine number, I guess an engine type is a moot point.

Thanks once again, for all the info, RC Keep it coming.

Wow that is a nice ride...

Quote:
    bstew said:
    Wow that is a nice ride...

Same back at ya, dude. I lust for a 997, but the CTT cleaned out my bank account until they'll at least be up to the 999

RC, thanks for posting the info. Sigs took the words out of my mouth regarding tuning the CT w/PK to get that extra 21HP. No difference in turbo's between CTS and CT w/PK so they just turned up boost conservatively. Do you think any aftermarket tuners will come out with this program?

Sigs,
    CTS will be in more limited quantities so dealers may not offer the same price incentives as CT w/PK. I can't see why anyone would not get the CTS if price was similar.

Wow, I totally missed this one. At the Los Angeles Auto Show they had the world debut of the Turbo S. It was there in the flesh and did not even see it. Was more excited to see the Cayman.

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    Wow, I totally missed this one. At the Los Angeles Auto Show they had the world debut of the Turbo S. It was there in the flesh and did not even see it. Was more excited to see the Cayman.

You didn't miss much, the car looks pretty much the same like the standard Turbo.

Pics of Cayenne Turbo S from LA Auto Show:

http://shows.autospies.com/gallery/shows.asp?manu=&cat=&thisPage=26&galleryId=34

http://shows.autospies.com/gallery/shows.asp?manu=&cat=&thisPage=53&galleryId=34

Other than new color(pretty nice) and S badges, car is exactly the same. Don't know why the CTS at the show didn't have Pano roof-a must have option IMO.

Saw a new Turbo S at the dealer while picking up my truck from the service folks. As RC says, it really looks no different, except for the S on the back. Sticker price was over $117k, but I didn't take time to look at the options, though it clearly wasn't a tremendously long list. I did like the sport exhaust pipes more than I thought, at least on this black truck. The extra-wide Diamaris on the 20" sport technos looked great, but the display even carried a full paragraph of a warning that these wheels and tires are not appropriate for winter driving, etc., etc. At least they're being up front about it. Will be interesting to see how many they sell. My SA told me that they've sold only 2 Powerkits, and this is a really large P dealer. I'm betting that the S on the back will sell more.

Quote:
    sigs said:
    I'm betting that the S on the back will sell more.

You can buy the "S" on ebay for $19. Think PK buyers deserve to add it on the back!

I've driven them back to back - they feel completely different. The S feels like a far more mature product.

Quote:
    Pink Panther said:
    I've driven them back to back - they feel completely different. The S feels like a far more mature product.

How about a few more details, Panther? Given the parts lists and other info from RC and others that show the suspensions, brakes, and powertrains (even the ECUs) are exactly the same, what differences did you perceive between the CTT-PK and CTTS?

Quote:
    Pink Panther said:

You're kidding, right? Because there is NO difference in hardware AND software. Unless you find the Turbo S badge on the back and the inside stuff "more mature".

BTW: I think I already told the story of an encounter with an italian Turbo S on the Autobahn. I was substantially faster than him at any speed range, it was very surprising. Even if I take in consideration that my Turbo PK has already over 40000 km and the Turbo S was maybe new and even if I take in consideration that it carried more weight (luggage?...I had my wife and the two kids with me), it still wouldn't explain the difference why I was THAT much faster. So even if the take all these things in consideration, the Turbo S is definetely not faster than the PK Turbo. Which would again explain the whole hardware/software story...no difference here.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Pink Panther said:

You're kidding, right? Because there is NO difference in hardware AND software. Unless you find the Turbo S badge on the back and the inside stuff "more mature".

BTW: I think I already told the story of an encounter with an italian Turbo S on the Autobahn. I was substantially faster than him at any speed range, it was very surprising. Even if I take in consideration that my Turbo PK has already over 40000 km and the Turbo S was maybe new and even if I take in consideration that it carried more weight (luggage?...I had my wife and the two kids with me), it still wouldn't explain the difference why I was THAT much faster. So even if the take all these things in consideration, the Turbo S is definetely not faster than the PK Turbo. Which would again explain the whole hardware/software story...no difference here.

RC... Have you ever thought that perhaps Porsche has granted you some special privileges, such as a much more powerful car than you may think? It could explain the things you are noticing.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778196 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442063 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262960 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261225 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85484 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5708 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880882 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816529 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM