Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 992 (Next 911 generation 2018/2019) Thread Closed

I thought the 911 didn’t do that anymore and that it was only the SUVs and sedans. Unbelievable. But hey, they can’t even get rid of the lever...

KMM:

I disagree, RC. The PDK lever is needed as long as the paddles are not fixed to the steering column. Sometimes, I need/want to shift with the steering wheel turned and I don't want to think which paddle is where. I also like the feel of the PDK lever (short crisp travel) over the paddles.

I've found the same problem, on tight turns with lots of lock, its quicker to hit the stick than to fumble for the paddles and having to let go of the grip on the wheel. Until the paddles are stuck to the column, there needs to be a stick.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Confirmed, on the track I change gears with the stick only - and, well, l seem to use the same changing pattern as l did with my manual previously.

Carlos from Spain:
    KMM:

I disagree, RC. The PDK lever is needed as long as the paddles are not fixed to the steering column. Sometimes, I need/want to shift with the steering wheel turned and I don't want to think which paddle is where. I also like the feel of the PDK lever (short crisp travel) over the paddles.

I've found the same problem, on tight turns with lots of lock, its quicker to hit the stick than to fumble for the paddles and having to let go of the grip on the wheel. Until the paddles are stuck to the column, there needs to be a stick.

--

From what I know the new stick does not have a function to change gear. It is only with the paddles on the wheel. I might be wrong though....

tso:
    Carlos from Spain:
    KMM:

--

From what I know the new stick does not have a function to change gear. It is only with the paddles on the wheel. I might be wrong though....

If that comes out to be the case the its got to be as a consequence of the paddles finally being fixed to the column on the 992 Smiley

--

Just use auto mode if you want to be fast...

It's not as fun, as there is no situation on the street were auto-mode is going to mark a significant difference in terms of being faster anyway.

--

Don't move the wheel inside of your hands / keep your hands holding the same part of the wheel through a turn and you don't have an issue with paddle being on the wheel as opposed to on the column! Until your arms make an "X" with your right hand at "9" and your left hand at "3" you shouldn't move your hands. For track driving you probably have no turns where you have that much steering lock so the correct paddle is always in-front of the correct fingers. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Carlos from Spain:

It's not as fun, as there is no situation on the street were auto-mode is going to mark a significant difference in terms of being faster anyway.

There we go full circle.  Get a "manual transmission" and only use it in auto mode.

Mithras:

Don't move the wheel inside of your hands / keep your hands holding the same part of the wheel through a turn and you don't have an issue with paddle being on the wheel as opposed to on the column! Until your arms make an "X" with your right hand at "9" and your left hand at "3" you shouldn't move your hands. For track driving you probably have no turns where you have that much steering lock so the correct paddle is always in-front of the correct fingers. 

Nice in theory but doesn't work well for very tight corners in mountain roads, with your arms making an X you have much less fine control of the wheel and poor arm biomechanics right when you need it most mid corner, personally if facing a tight corner (like a 2nd gear turn) I like to pre-emptively place my hands in the wheel in a position that as I turn into the corner my arms end up in half leveled position mid corner and have the best control for corrections, but then the paddle's position is lost. I agree that it's not an issue at a track cause the corners wouldn't be tight enough. Every other sportscar manufacturer fixes in the column... then again Porsche not long ago still used buttons  so they will get there eventually...

--

You need a 12 o'clock marking on the steering wheel like in the GT3. kiss

--

White 991.2 GT3, production week 10

Gauss:

You need a 12 o'clock marking on the steering wheel like in the GT3. kiss

Funny enough, the alcantara wheel of the GTS has stitches where the mark goes on the GT3, its just that the stitching is same color as the alcantara you you can't even see that Smiley

--

Carlos from Spain:
    Mithras:

Nice in theory but doesn't work well for very tight corners in mountain roads, with your arms making an X you have much less fine control of the wheel and poor arm biomechanics right when you need it most mid corner, personally if facing a tight corner (like a 2nd gear turn) I like to pre-emptively place my hands in the wheel in a position that as I turn into the corner my arms end up in half leveled position mid corner and have the best control for corrections, but then the paddle's position is lost. I agree that it's not an issue at a track cause the corners wouldn't be tight enough. Every other sportscar manufacturer fixes in the column... then again Porsche not long ago still used buttons  so they will get there eventually...

--

I"ll agree for tight mountain roads but then again you also aren't shifting mid corner there... You also (unless it's an increasing radius turn) should be turning your arms once at the enterance to a turn and then unwinding as you track out. So once you set your hands you shoudln't have to do much movement until the turn is over (obvisouly outside of car movement from road condition or sliding etc.). 

There is a reason all race cars have the paddles attached to the wheel...

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Carlos from Spain:
    tso:
    Carlos from Spain:
    KMM:

--

If that comes out to be the case the its got to be as a consequence of the paddles finally being fixed to the column on the 992 Smiley

I do not think that is the case either. With regards to whether the paddles are fixed on the wheel or the column, I guess is a matter of personal preference or habbits. I would personally prefer them fixed on the wheel, but I would like the Porsche paddles to be a bit longer, in style with the Ferrari paddles. 

Mithras:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Mithras:

--

I"ll agree for tight mountain roads but then again you also aren't shifting mid corner there... You also (unless it's an increasing radius turn) should be turning your arms once at the enterance to a turn and then unwinding as you track out. So once you set your hands you shoudln't have to do much movement until the turn is over (obvisouly outside of car movement from road condition or sliding etc.). 

There is a reason all race cars have the paddles attached to the wheel...

And race cars have a quicker rack.  maximum 180 to the left and 180 to the right are just about the max the wheel will turn, hence it's not a problem with paddles on the wheel. Between a Cup car and my GT4CS, mostly on any track I would have done turns at 45 degrees or less. max I have ever turned the wheel on any race track was just less than 180 to the right for the hairpin on my track, taken in 2nd gear, and before the wheels are fully unwinded I already needing 3rd. 

Paddles on the wheel? Perfect for race cars. Not so for street cars. 

--

Whoopsy:

And race cars have a quicker rack.  maximum 180 to the left and 180 to the right are just about the max the wheel will turn, hence it's not a problem with paddles on the wheel. Between a Cup car and my GT4CS, mostly on any track I would have done turns at 45 degrees or less. max I have ever turned the wheel on any race track was just less than 180 to the right for the hairpin on my track, taken in 2nd gear, and before the wheels are fully unwinded I already needing 3rd. 

Paddles on the wheel? Perfect for race cars. Not so for street cars. 

Could not have said it better. In my view the compromise of missing a gear now and then on the street, is much better than missing one on the track, but that is personal and for those never tracking their car, I understand if they have a different view.

Carlos from Spain:
     Every other sportscar manufacturer fixes in the column... then again Porsche not long ago still used buttons  so they will get there eventually...

Actually isnt it the other way? Audi and McLaren paddles are wheel mounted, BMW, as far as I know only the Italians do it via the column. I think this time Porsche is in the majority crowd...

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

noone1:

Just use auto mode if you want to be fast...

As sad as this may sound, this is 100% accurate.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

4trac:
    Carlos from Spain:
     Every other sportscar manufacturer fixes in the column... then again Porsche not long ago still used buttons  so they will get there eventually...

Actually isnt it the other way? Audi and McLaren paddles are wheel mounted, BMW, as far as I know only the Italians do it via the column. I think this time Porsche is in the majority crowd...

Yes, the Audi paddles are wheel mounted and it sucks but an engineer told me that this is intentional and you're not supposed to shift when the wheel is turned more than a specific angle.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

The egineer is simplifying it too much, the problem its not so much needing to shift when the wheel is turned, although noboby is perfect and ocasionally you may need to because you judged the needed gear for the corner wrong, especially on mountain roads that you dont have memorized like a track, the problem is when you are comming out the corne and unwinding the wheel often from one corner to another, and you loose the position of the paddles if they are turning with the wheel as your hands need to move for best position.

--

Ferrari got it right first, as many things... Porsche will follow eventually.

The implication is to leave it in auto mode, as the logic is simply smarter and better than you will ever be determining shift points.  

SciFrog:

Ferrari got it right first, as many things... Porsche will follow eventually.

Actually, they also got it right first with the 488...the benchmark in it's segment at the time and at a very interesting price (similar to 991.1 Turbo S with a few options). I am surprised that the 488 didn't get the appreciation among enthusiasts in deserves but I was skeptical as well at first.

Now it seems that the 720S is the benchmark, performance and price-wise, so not easy to beat.

I hoped for Porsche to set a new benchmark with the next gen 992 Turbo S but if it gets "only" 670 hp, it will actually be where the 488 was a couple of years ago, disappointing. 

--

RC:

Yes, the Audi paddles are wheel mounted and it sucks but an engineer told me that this is intentional and you're not supposed to shift when the wheel is turned more than a specific angle.

Strange as the paddles in the Huracan are column mounted and a good size. I even have column mounted long metal paddle shifters in my Alfa Stelvio. Conversley the paddles are wheel mounted in my 4C but the steering is so quick on that it means if you have turned the wheel so far at speed as to be unsure which paddle to pull you won't have time to worry as you'll already have crashed Smiley

ISUK:
    RC:

Strange as the paddles in the Huracan are column mounted and a good size. I even have column mounted long metal paddle shifters in my Alfa Stelvio. Conversley the paddles are wheel mounted in my 4C but the steering is so quick on that it means if you have turned the wheel so far at speed as to be unsure which paddle to pull you won't have time to worry as you'll already have crashed Smiley

Any more news on the leaked photo? What Happened?

--

This is the way this post ends, not with a bang but with a wisper, WOSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

RC:
    I hoped for Porsche to set a new benchmark with the next gen 992 Turbo S but if it gets "only" 670 hp, it will actually be where the 488 was a couple of years ago, disappointing. 

c'mon RC, 670hp is plenty for an all purpose car like the turbo S. the current one is fast like hell and leaves the 488 behind in all but the best road conditions. you know i love ferrari but we have to render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's:::))))

Paulo_Rangel_Melo:
    ISUK:
    RC:

Any more news on the leaked photo? What Happened?

To put it into some nice words: The shit has hit the fan badly... Smiley

--

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2019-porsche-911

--

Tesla Model S P100D & Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2017 Sept 991.2 GT3 ordered. 2020 Porsche Mission E on order

IF that photo wasnt leaked, i doubt Porsche would officialy preview the 992 today!!! I guess the oficial reveal will be sooner than they had in mind.

--

This is the way this post ends, not with a bang but with a wisper, WOSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Paulo_Rangel_Melo:

IF that photo wasnt leaked, i doubt Porsche would officialy preview the 992 today!!! I guess the oficial reveal will be sooner than they had in mind.

Maybe...

Anyway, this isn't exactly a preview, more of a joke. Smiley

911_5.jpg

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753714 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431000 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258729 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255581 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79616 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868548 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802247 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM