Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Powerkit C4S

This is my first post.

Just ordered a C4S with X51 and a few other niceties (including integrated XM radio, just available from factory). GT Silver with Cocoa interior. I have owned a 2002 996C2 for last 4 years and had a great experience but wanted to try something a little different. Had a hard time deciding between GT silver and Seal Grey but thought the interior went better with GT and it is certainly a rarer color. Was tempted to wait for the turbo but that looked like a 2 year deal. Plus I can barely use the 996's power on a day to day basis so the turbo just seemed more for show (I am sure it is hellafun to blast onto the highway with though). With a powerkit dyno'd at roughly 400 bhp, I wonder how much I am really giving up anyway. Had to push out the order 1 month to get X51 - seems Porsche has under-budgeted demand (this could explain the $16k price tag). Thought posters thinking of ordering a 997 soon would want to know XM is available from factory (it includes a 6 CD changer + integrated XM for $995). That's a lot better deal than most Porsche options.

Re: Powerkit C4S

GT sliver is a much better choice over the Seal Grey, that is what I have. I like to for its unique shine under the sun. And 3.8 S engine with X51 kit is enough for you to reach 60 in mid 4's, I believe you will love your car when it arrive. Too bad there is no PDK at this point in time

Congratulations on your order! And welcome to Rennteam!!! "It's THE place to be"

I LOVE your color combination (especially the Cocoa!) Can't wait for the photos.

It's good to hear about the availability of XM, especially since it is already integrated into the Cayenne's PCM. Took them long enough! Does that mean Sirius is right around the corner? Bluetooth phone integration?

Bigonion:

Do you know option code for XM/Changer combo? My C4S order can still be changed but my dealer knows nothing about this.

Thanks!

I did not get the code written down. The dealer had some kind of fax or email bulletin with the XM option code. It appeared to be a very new option item (like new this month). There is a dealer retrofit option which was $990 plus labor, or $990 (no labor) factory installed.

Thanks for the reassurancs. I have an Arctic Silver C2 presently and after 4+ years it seems a little boring. It stays clean-looking easier than any other car I have owned though. So I wanted to break the mold but not veer too far off the ranch. Really the selling point was the Cocoa interior, which is truly a unique interior in relation to anything I have seen to date from any other manufacturer - it seems to work best with GT Silver versus the other colors along the greyscale. I did once see a Carrera GT live in GT silver and it was rather distinctive in the flesh.

...please what is xm radio option?

alexis,go to xmradio.com .sat radio is like cable tv for radio.limited commercials (like cable used to be) .the benefit is you could drive coast to coast in us and canada and not lose reception in remote areas 100 channels of music,sports,talk . crg

XM and Sirius are two satellite digital radio networks. They are not available in Europe though, only in the US (maybe Mexico and Canada as well).

Besides sound quality, satellite radio offers more programming choice. Two companies own most of the over-the-air radio stations in the US, and their programming s*cks (oh, and they edit songs as well ). And governmental meddling through the FCC does not help either.

Edit: crg beat me to it

Congrad on the new car and thanks for the Sat radio info. As for the X51 option I don't think you are giving up much if any vs the turbo. Like you said the turbo will be fun but not really sure where you will be able to use all that power. To me it is more show then anything else but most everything we buy is (well it seems that way). I would love a C4S with X51. Sweet!

Quote:
    bigonion said:
    This is my first post.

Just ordered a C4S with X51 and a few other niceties (including integrated XM radio, just available from factory). GT Silver with Cocoa interior. I have owned a 2002 996C2 for last 4 years and had a great experience but wanted to try something a little different. Had a hard time deciding between GT silver and Seal Grey but thought the interior went better with GT and it is certainly a rarer color. Was tempted to wait for the turbo but that looked like a 2 year deal. Plus I can barely use the 996's power on a day to day basis so the turbo just seemed more for show (I am sure it is hellafun to blast onto the highway with though). With a powerkit dyno'd at roughly 400 bhp, I wonder how much I am really giving up anyway. Had to push out the order 1 month to get X51 - seems Porsche has under-budgeted demand (this could explain the $16k price tag). Thought posters thinking of ordering a 997 soon would want to know XM is available from factory (it includes a 6 CD changer + integrated XM for $995). That's a lot better deal than most Porsche options.

What dealer please. I would like to call and try and get part numbers. This is breaking news if its true. I just ordered Cayenne sat parts for a retrofit. There is no actual dealer confirmation anywhere yet that a 997 now has this as a factory option or a dealer install option. The Porsche Exchange, referenced on the other thread on this subject, is using Cayenne parts as a retrofit.

I am not doubting you Bigonion - - but I would like to call the dealer to see if I can get a dealer install part number for a 997 instead of the Cayenne retrofit route. Thanks!!

Dealer is Stevinson in Colorado. They literally had a fax page with the new code for the option so it is very new.

just tested my brandnew 4s+x51+pccb... a fantastic car.
    the x51+pccb are a must-have option, imho.
    all the other options only pure cosmetic's...
    ciao

Quote:
    bigonion said:

Just ordered a C4S with X51 and a few other niceties (including integrated XM radio, just available from factory). GT Silver with Cocoa interior. Had to push out the order 1 month to get X51 - seems Porsche has under-budgeted demand (this could explain the $16k price tag). Thought posters thinking of ordering a 997 soon would want to know XM is available from factory (it includes a 6 CD changer + integrated XM for $995). That's a lot better deal than most Porsche options.

According to the latest NA Vehicle Distribution Bulletin, Dated: February 7, 2006
    X51 is not listed
    No Sat Radio availability.

Sat radio for a Cayenne is $990 w/o a cd changer and your saying that the 6 disc comes for almost free in a 997 with Sat radio...I don't think so

You dont arbitrarily "push out an order"...dealer allocations are used by the month and are approx 3 mo lead time out.

What dealer is telling you this???

I get the feeling that this post is hot air until proven otherwise...sorry

trundle

my salesmen aggrees with you. crg

Quote:
    bigonion said:
    Dealer is Stevinson in Colorado. They literally had a fax page with the new code for the option so it is very new.

Unlike 1080iAddict, I am doubting you! The last distribution bulletin concerning satellite radio availability is one dated 12/6/05 which specifically says that "satellite radio will not be available on US or Canadian market sports cars until an acceptable antenna is developed."

This is complete hearsay without: 1) an option code, and 2) verification by another dealer.

Bigonion - congrats on the new car! Unfortunately, the answer to your question, "How much am I giving up compared to the Turbo anyway?" - ALOT!!!!. Since we live in Colorado, we lose more than 20% of a non-turbo car's power in Denver and up to 50% in the mountains. The Turbo maintains nearly 100% of its power. So, the difference is huge at high altitude...

Around 300hp for the X51 in Denver (much less on the high mtn roads) and around 480hp (and tons more torque) for the 997TT...

Well - that's what I ordered. The XM option fulfillment was bizarre - I asked them why one could order it for the truck but not the 911 and they said that they had actually heard something to the effect that Porsche had a XM/CD unit for the 911 now, and then pulled a page off a computer to show me. It is priced identically to the Cayenne option. A bit mystified by your skepticism - exactly how long did you think Porsche goes on selling $90k+ cars with terrestrial radio only to their customer base? It ain't a hard thing to remedy. The X51 is quite available as you can see by the dozens of posters and was ordered by the last guy that customed a 911 at my dealer. My push out related to whether I could get April or May production - Porsche does budget for specialized parts/assemblies and has to make some kind of best guess plan for how many X51's they may be utilizing in a given month. Once they run out, you either don't get the option or wait another month. I am waiting another month.

Good point on that. I had an S4 biturbo for awhile and it did indeed seem very powerful relative to the normally aspirated cars in my garage. Still think I am going ahead with the C4S because I don't feel like waiting until 2009.

Satellite Radio

Quote:
    bigonion said:
    ...exactly how long did you think Porsche goes on selling $90k+ cars with terrestrial radio only to their customer base?

And how long have we been waiting for an iPod link to the "entertainment" system in the 996 and 997?

I asked my dealer and he told me there was NO Satellite option for the 997 - he checked for new bulletins while I was on the phone, but did confirm that it could be fitted aftermarket using Cayenne parts.

I think your dealer may be blowing some smoke in your direction...

Quote:
    bigonion said:
    Good point on that. I had an S4 biturbo for awhile and it did indeed seem very powerful relative to the normally aspirated cars in my garage. Still think I am going ahead with the C4S because I don't feel like waiting until 2009.

The Turbo is going to be a Model Year 2007 (less than a year away) from what I read on this board. Take a look at the 997TT board. It may make more sense (especially for resale), since your C4S is going to cost fairly close to a basic 997TT...

Quote:
    bigonion said:
    Well - that's what I ordered. The XM option fulfillment was bizarre - I asked them why one could order it for the truck but not the 911 and they said that they had actually heard something to the effect that Porsche had a XM/CD unit for the 911 now, and then pulled a page off a computer to show me. It is priced identically to the Cayenne option. A bit mystified by your skepticism - exactly how long did you think Porsche goes on selling $90k+ cars with terrestrial radio only to their customer base? It ain't a hard thing to remedy. The X51 is quite available as you can see by the dozens of posters and was ordered by the last guy that customed a 911 at my dealer. My push out related to whether I could get April or May production - Porsche does budget for specialized parts/assemblies and has to make some kind of best guess plan for how many X51's they may be utilizing in a given month. Once they run out, you either don't get the option or wait another month. I am waiting another month.

They had "heard" is not confirmation. If the distribution bulletin dated today has no info on satellite radio in the cars, I doubt that your Colorado dealer has a special pipeline to Porsche.

Also, note that Porsche has officially said on December 15 that "current orders for the X51 Powerkit have significantly exceeded planning volumes...thus additional orders for X51 cannot be accepted until supply capacity can meet demand."

Please be careful about posting something as fact without the ability to back it up.

Scan your pro-forma invoice, we would all like too see the code for sat radio!!
    If the orders in, first status code will be ACKNWL (Order acknowledged by PCNA)

No pro-forma iinvoice = No order

BTW I stand by the latest NA Vehicle Distribution Bulletin, Dated: February 7, 2006
    X51 is not listed and not available since 12/15/05 with no anouncement to the contrary
    No Sat Radio availability.

Beware of dealerspeak...the salesforce is largely uninformed

I can always be wrong tho...

Just so you know, I have the Cayenne Sirius part ordered for my 2006 997S. It's been ordered for a week and i am awaiting delivery during the next few days.

I called The Porsche Exchange, mentioned on another thread, and they confirmed no new part number for 997 and no option code for 997. They said their "tech" figured out how to retrofit Cayenne parts. I know this already, but nice to hear confirmation that the retrofit works. But nothing officially new for the 997.

My parts guy called PAG today to get the latest info. He is awaiting a return call. Dude....I will say this. Call your dealer and get a copy of that fax page and put this to rest. Until then, this is an unconfirmed internet rumor. It is that simple. Us lawyers call this the Best Evidence Rule. Everything else is hearsay, which is why hearsay is not allowable in court. Again, no disrespect to you, as you are telling us what you heard. But you have the availability to pursue the lead for us all, so I am asking that you try for the benefit of our community here.

Thanks....

Reasonable points on evidence quality. I will see if I can get the option code on XM. Since I had seen nothing to the effect myself until yesterday, I was quite surprised that such a thing surfaced at the time.

Quote:
    bigonion said:
    This is my first post.

I called your dealership in Colorado today and spoke with one of the sales representatives. He spent some time researching this alleged order for XM radio in a Carrera and he said that there has never been such an order. The bulletin to which you refer only concerned the CAYENNE and never the CARRERA.

We would REALLY prefer it if you would know something definite before you post.

Dan

Dan, thank you for tracking this down to end that lead.

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Quote:
    bigonion said:
    This is my first post.

I called your dealership in Colorado today and spoke with one of the sales representatives. He spent some time researching this alleged order for XM radio in a Carrera and he said that there has never been such an order. The bulletin to which you refer only concerned the CAYENNE and never the CARRERA.

We would REALLY prefer it if you would know something definite before you post.

Dan

Wow you where able to call the dealer and check on another person's order? Hmm not sure if I would like doing business with a dealer who would give out my info to someone else.

Quote:
    bigonion said:
    This is my first post.

Bigonion thanks for the info. Not quite sure why everyone thinks you posted this in error. My view is you posted what you feel you ordered. If you have XM radio ordered great. Maybe the dealer is thinking of doing a retro or something.

As a FYI I just heard back from my dealer who said they could not install XM Radio in my car, against Porsche policies. But he is checking to see if a local stereo shop can do it.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690753 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409932 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256123 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235358 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65732 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858679 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM