Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Ralph Lauren and auto design

He was interviewed this past week in Autoweek. Apparently he is quite a collector of cars. Here is what he had to say about Porsche,

"Specifically, to me Porsche said 'Were about engineering. We're not about flash, were about what's inside'...But the car was a simple, rounded car-some might say it was ugly, some would say it was beautiful. But it was simplicity on the outside. The excitement was on the inside, in how the car drove, how it went around cornors."

I agree with his assessment for the most part. However, I disagree it is exciting to drive. The only time a Porsche is exciting to drive is when it is near the limit. Porsche's are enjoyable at speed. But humdrum in all other driving experiences.

Re: Ralph Lauren and auto design

Ralph Lauren's collection of cars is amongst the finest in the world

Ferrari 250 GT0, Mercedes SSK and Bugatti Atlantique just to name a few.

My porsche is fun and exciting at all speeds and it sounds better than any ferrari incl. the CS.

For you Nick;
    Jan sales + 46% year over year to 3,337 units

There we go agian Nick

If you want your Porsche to drive down to starbucks then is not very exiting, the more exiting car there would be a flasier, louder car, more attention grabbing car.

But if you are driving up a winding mountain road in a rear engined uber-engineered, superhandling, wonderful steering feedback, and playful manual transmision sportcar, the it can be very exiting if you have the driving abilities to appreciate it. At least several generations of sportcar drivers around the world think so

Quote:
    racerx said:
    For you Nick;

There ya go, Nick. That's the sort of thing I had in mind when I talked about "facts and figures".

But those figures wouldn't suit your purposes, because they run contrary to your tired old refrain.

Nick - Ralph Lauren has a marvelous Ferrari collection of mostly cars from the mid-1960's and earlier. I'm sure he would tell you that Ferrari today is an empty shell of its former glory and he'd never deign to drive such a mundane car as an F430 that lacks all the style and passion of the earlier examples. Here one of Ralph's cars, a 1958. How do you think the F430 would stack up? I think it'd be like comparing a vacuum cleaner to the Mona Lisa

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    If you want your Porsche to drive down to starbucks then is not very exiting, the more exiting car there would be a flasier, louder car, more attention grabbing car.

We should be grateful for one thing. At least Nick is moving upmarket by going to Starbucks these days. It used to be McDonalds in the old F360 days.

It must be the good influence of the company he keeps here on rennteam.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Here one of Ralph's cars, a 1958.

Now that is one beautiful car! I guess it's a custom body, but was it based on a "series" model or was it a complete one-off?

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Here one of Ralph's cars, a 1958.

Now that is one beautiful car! I guess it's a custom body, but was it based on a "series" model or was it a complete one-off?

Its the old testarossa race car

http://carpundit.typepad.com/photos/laurens_cars/

Thats a link for you to access the pics of some of his cars while on loan to a museum

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    racerx said:
    For you Nick;

There ya go, Nick. That's the sort of thing I had in mind when I talked about "facts and figures".

But those figures wouldn't suit your purposes, because they run contrary to your tired old refrain.

Fritz, your a stickler regarding numbers as well has everything else. Tell me what they mean? Be honest, do you even crease the sheets when you have sex?

BTW, for the life of me I do not understand how Ferrari got into this thread.

Ralph Lauren has a very deep pocket, he paid $1 million for one of the very first 360's at an auction.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Well, Nick, you started the thread on the subject of Ralph Lauren's interest in cars. He is known to own some very interesting Ferraris, so it is not a huge leap to showing one of the jewels in his collection, as Grant did - one of the original Testa Rossas, as someone has since informed us.

Or did you think RL rides around all day on polo ponies?

PS: With regard to the creases, I naturally have a hot iron at the ready to remove them, otherwise I wouldn't be able to get off to sleep. Don't you?

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

PS: With regard to the creases, I naturally have a hot iron at the ready to remove them, otherwise I wouldn't be able to get off to sleep. Don't you?

Quote:
    MSB said:
    Ralph Lauren has a very deep pocket, he paid $1 million for one of the very first 360's at an auction.

In his defence (Why am i defending him? I don't even wear his shirts! ) I think I remember that the proceeds from that auction were going to a charity.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    - one of the original Testa Rossas, as someone has since informed us.

Apologies to you, LB, for referring to you as "someone". Credit where credit is due. And thanks from saving me from having to search through my library to answer my own question.

That 1958TR is a sweet ride. It weighed 800kg (1,760 lbs) and had a 320hp 3.0L V12. That was a REAL Ferrari

Quote:
    nberry said:BTW, for the life of me I do not understand how Ferrari got into this thread.

That was my fault, Nick. I generally let all the anti-Porsche comments slide, but every now and then I'm provoked into a little retaliation

All in good fun - no real disrespect intended...

Nice pics LB. That MB 300SL is to die for! As for the porsche displace, no words can discribe the beauty!!!

Quote:
    nberry said:

Well, that IS a big surprise!
    Considering the fact that the almost scientific equasion Nick + post = Porsche-bashing, it really is a surprise that someone should pick up the proverbial glove and give you what you crave so badly: Attention thru intreague. You may wanna check Betty Ford and see if they have an OCPBD treatment program (OCPBD=Obsessive Compulsive Porsche Bashing Disorder)

Can't wait till your next post and see what new Porsche-derision you are able to surprise us with

Re: Mercedes 300 SLR with its desmodromic valves ...

Has the best sounding engine of any German car ever built, perhaps of ANY car ever built!

When you hear one accellerate hard, there is no mistaking it for any other car. Its a growling raging howl of the Valkyries that makes a Ferrari V12's wail sound like a dainty operetta.

It was also the first car with Port type fuel injection.

Here is a link to a ok sound sample of a 300SL.

http://chuck.goolsbee.org/archives/9

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Has the best sounding engine of any German car ever built, perhaps of ANY car ever built!

When you hear one accellerate hard, there is no mistaking it for any other car. Its a growling raging howl of the Valkyries that makes a Ferrari V12's wail sound like a dainty operetta.

It was also the first car with Port type fuel injection.

Here is a link to a ok sound sample of a 300SL.

http://chuck.goolsbee.org/archives/9

I got to see/hear Sterling Moss driving his old SLR racer at Laguna Seca last year. Jay Leno was in the passenger seat - Sir Sterling can still rip it up

do we have to do this every week?

It's becoming a weekly occurance

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    ...Can't wait till your next post and see what new Porsche-derision you are able to surprise us with

It just depends on which medicines his doctors will come up with next time...

When I was in Leipzig last year at the factory, they showed us a Carrera GT that Ralph had built with leather to sample interior. It was GT silver with a light tan leather interior. He walked into the factory with his son, looked at it and said "I don't like it". and walked out. They never did say weather he took the car or not!

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    do we have to do this every week?

hahah - ill drink to that

More stars and their cars....

http://cars.msn.co.uk/fun/celebrity/

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689721 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409332 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255795 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235020 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65547 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858088 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774160 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM