Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Garage flooring epoxy - polyurethane

I'm going to try and use one of the franchises that do this kind of installation. I've found on the web:
    The Garage People
    Prestige Garage and
    Premier Garage
    Anyone has had experience with any of these? Any other alternative that I should look into?
    Thanks

Re: Garage flooring epoxy - polyurethane

All I can say is make sure they know exactly what to do as far as preparation is concerned. The "pros" did my floor a few houses back and it was a disaster due to improper prep. The alternative that looks interesting to me is those plastic-rubber snap together tiles I've seen around. Foolproof installation. You can make a cherckboard pattern etc. Take them with you if you want when you move... .

I just did my floor and I used http://www.ucoatit.com and I love it. They ship everything you need. You need to follow the instructions and everything will be a success. I highly recommend UCoatIT.

Before pics of my floor

UCoatIT after pics of my floor

Wow bstew, that looks really nice.. is that the light grey color you got, and if so, did you get the 'flek' stuff with it... I'm getting ready to do mine too, so thanks for the referral. One question, with the car going in and out of the garage, are you picking up any tracks? I imagine it wouldn't be too bad, as long as you don't turn the wheel while the vehicle is not in motion... anyway, thanks for the info

I used Sherwin Williams garage floor paint on my floor and while it turned out nice, I find the Porsche tires hold a lot of dirt that leaves muddy water all over on the floor when the car's wet. Tho I clean the spots, the overall look of the floor is not as crisp as it was. I like the look of that UCoat It floor and think that might be a better option. I think this tread has been kiced around before and I recall some listers used the "peel and stick" heavy duty Armstrong tiles with good results. I believe the snap together type tiles are very pricey?

Quote:
    greggr107 said:
    Wow bstew, that looks really nice.. is that the light grey color you got, and if so, did you get the 'flek' stuff with it... I'm getting ready to do mine too, so thanks for the referral. One question, with the car going in and out of the garage, are you picking up any tracks? I imagine it wouldn't be too bad, as long as you don't turn the wheel while the vehicle is not in motion... anyway, thanks for the info

Yes it is the light grey with fleks. I haven't gotten any tire track marks. You need to make sure the floor cures before you drive on it though or you will get marks.

Niiiiice. Inspiring. Thanks.

Quote:
    bstew said:
    I just did my floor and I used http://www.ucoatit.com and I love it. They ship everything you need. You need to follow the instructions and everything will be a success. I highly recommend UCoatIT.

Is etching the biggest issue in doing this job.

To me the biggest thing you need to do is:

1. Wash the floor and get all the oil and greese off.
    2. Etch the floor with Muriatic acid (pool acid available from Home Depot/Lowes)
    3. Rinse the acid off the floor. This is done with a water hose.
    4. Staying off the floor until it cures!

Quote:
    bstew said:
    To me the biggest thing you need to do is:

1. Wash the floor and get all the oil and greese off.
    2. Etch the floor with Muriatic acid (pool acid available from Home Depot/Lowes)
    3. Rinse the acid off the floor. This is done with a water hose.
    4. Staying off the floor until it cures!

Right. Staying off the floor until it cures is important. I let mine cure three and 1/2 days, but it still was not fully cured, probably because of the cold weather. When I parked on it, it picked up black marks from my hot tires (not from the 911S I'm supposed to be taking delivery of next week). I'll have to redo it, but in the places where it cured properly, it works quite well and looks good.

Jim

Like Jim I did mine when the weather was cold. Based on the notes, the ideal weather to apply UCoatIT is 68 degrees. Even still I would wait a week before driving on it if you can. Better to be safe then sorry. After it cures it is one tough floor. I suggest having a towel on hand for days you dirve out of the rain into the garage. You will have puddles of water because the floor is sealed! The water will not seep into the floor. Now if I could just get my wife to use the towel

Thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll give it a try again this week and stay off of it for one full week. My 911S is supposed to be at the dealer - tentatively - this Friday, but given my schedule I won't be able to pick it up until next Wednesday or Thursday, Feb. 14 or 15. I really don't want to park the car outside as I would be too worried about kids or possible vandals getting to it, even though I am in a relatively safe area.

Jim

AWWW NO! I NEED this. More flippin expense.

mine

Hi 996toomey,
    Nice garage floor. Who did it? I don't want to do it myself and I'm trying to find someone who knows what they are doing and will have a warranty on their job.
    Thanks

Wow that looks great. I love this color!

Has anyone done or considered darker colors? It seems that in many places there'd be "chronic" dirt from tires that would make these nice clean new white-ish floors kinda ugly.

Man, all your floors look fantastic!

I may go with tiles (Griots) or others as I CAN take them with me so to speak. And I can change colors if I get tired.

Then again....

Those floors sure look sweet!

Regards,
    Deanski

Quote:
    pcosta said:
    Hi 996toomey,
    Nice garage floor. Who did it? I don't want to do it myself and I'm trying to find someone who knows what they are doing and will have a warranty on their job.
    Thanks

If you are going to use UCoatIT go to their site http://ucoatit.com . There is a dealer locater link from their menu. Also I would look in the phone book in your City. I got a quote about a year ago to have my floor done but decided to wait. Then I found UCoatIT and did it myself. Good luck in your search.

Vision Gargage floors did mine. They are out of Orange County, CA.

I have some experience with epoxy floors that may be of assistance. Originally I had my floor done with Benjamin Moore commercial 2-part epoxy paint. We acid etched and painted. It lifted everywhere, almost immediately. A year later, my contractor agreed to re-do the job. I supplied Griots Epoxy paint. They stripped the old paint, acid etched again and then lightly ground the concrete with floor sanders. The Griots paint has not lifted anywhere in a period of two plus years. I believe the "grind" made the difference. The Griots product is superior in appearance and offers a very tough, hard, glossy finish. It cleans extremely easily and repels grease, mud, tar, etc. Having witnessed the two installations, I tend to think the light grind was the key to a good bond. If I were to ever do this again, I would insist on a grinding or sanding of the surface prior to application of the paint. Another issue to be aware of is the fact that epoxy paint is extemely slippery (dangerous) when wet. I believe there was an option to add grit to the mixture and I elected not to at the time. This was a mistake and I will probably recoat it within a year or so with the grit mixture. This is another advantage of the Griots paint. It can be re-coated at any time to renew the finish to like new and a recoat would be fairly quick and easy. Overall, I am completely satisfied with the Griots product - the only issue being the traction when wet. Here is a picture of the finished product....

More picures here..... Griots Garage Floor Pictures

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688180 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408550 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255478 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234694 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65331 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857448 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773135 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM