Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Anyone regret getting Basalt Black over Black?

Anyone regret getting Black over Basalt Black. With all the pros and cons of each, I still can't make up my mind!!!!

Re: Anyone regret getting Basalt Black over Black?

IMO, both look awesome, could be said that new and clean black looks even better, however I think basal stays cleaner longer and more importantly the paint retains its brightness (i don't know how to say it) for longer. As time goes by, black tends to get flat unless a lot of care (meaning endless hours fo waxing and polishing).

No regrets whatsoever!! had solid black for Boxster for 5 years and still looks "shiny" black (you'd still have to care for basalt too).. I did once regretted getting metallic black(obsidian black) for a merc I once owned.. had to live with it for 5 years knowing I should have gotten the solid black. Solid black to me looks a couple of shades darker.

i had 996 carrera in solid black, the car always looked good. i am very fussy and clean the car myself. bought 996 turbo in basalt black, car drove me crazy. had to polish it every time it was washed as it would look dark grey.

I went through the same decision process. Here is the bottom line:
    -Get solid black if you like pure black. Only use touchless car wash to avoid swirl marks. Tell your dealer to not use anything but touchless or hand wash for initial delivery since it only takes one wash to get swirl marks.
    -If you like seal grey and black both, get Basalt black. It will be somewhat less messy and you will get the best of the both worlds.

Personally, I think pure solid black looks beautifull. Check the thread I started a couple of weeks ago to look at images posted by various members.

I had the same dilemma when I was ordering, I initially ordered basalt, but then changed to solid black after seeing a basalt car at dusk... it looked like it had a fine layer of dust on it. I'm completely satisfied with solid black!

I've had both- my black 997S and my wife had a Boxster S Basalt black. The solid black always looked better unless it was really dirty. When the basalt was clean and polished it looked nice but almost like jet black with a coat of sparkly dust on it; never has that deep, glossy jet black look. On the other side, the black requires a lot more diligent care. The basalt never showed the swirls with less upkeep. In the right light basalt looks very nice. The basalt always looks nice with minimal care; the jet black looks amazing when clean and polished- hard to keep it that way and doesn't look nice as long after it's cleaned. Depends how much work you plan to put into your paint.

Saw a Black Carrera GT and a Basalt C2S Cab side by side in bright sunlight. Easy decision for me. Ordered Black

Basalt looks really nice... until it's next to black. Then it just looks nice. I went with black. Amazing. CGW IMO

I stressed about this exact decision for weeks when ordering my 997S, searched the forums, viewed tons of pictures and really did my homework.

While I still prefer the deep look of the solid black, the basalt black is almost a million times easier to maintain IMO.

The metallic hides the fine scratches and swirls very well. Took delivery of a solid black Mercedes CLS 2 months ago and while I love the look much better, the paint is already looking more depreciated than my year old basalt black 997S...and this is with the ceramic clear coat.

No regrets about ordering basalt here, simply because I am the kind of person that can't tolerate fine scratches and swirls.

At the end of the day it all depends on how much spare time you have for detailing and how well you tolerate swirls and scratches.

Just my 2 cents, Good luck

Quote:
    RAKLAW said:
    Saw a Black Carrera GT and a Basalt C2S Cab side by side in bright sunlight. Easy decision for me. Ordered Black

and the fact that it was on a CGT didn't sway your decision @ all?

Quote:
    sdy284 said:
    Quote:
    RAKLAW said:

and the fact that it was on a CGT didn't sway your decision @ all?

Guess I should be happy the CGT wasn't paint to sample pink

Guess I'll find out when I take delivery of my C2S during the week of Feb. 13-18. I ordered Basalt Black because I like a charcoal black (grayish black), I think it hides road tar spots better than the seal gray which I first considered, and because it won't show the dirt as quickly as the regular black, which I have to admit is classier looking when clean.

Jim

Quote:
    Jim48 said:
    Guess I'll find out when I take delivery of my C2S during the week of Feb. 13-18. I ordered Basalt Black because I like a charcoal black (grayish black), I think it hides road tar spots better than the seal gray which I first considered, and because it won't show the dirt as quickly as the regular black, which I have to admit is classier looking when clean.

Jim

Absolutely spot on Jim - my sentiments precisely.

If black is your choice and you can't clean the car every day then choose Basalt. I also like the 'sparkling effect' in sunlight that only comes with a metallic colour.

Never had either, so this is just one man's opinion, but I think Basalt is one of the only great paint choices on a Porsche. Porsche paint and the paint selection are disappointing, but Basalt is a beautiful, rich, complex color that I absolutely love. For me at least, it's still too high maintenance, so I stick with Arctic Silver, but if I had the balls, I'd get Basalt!

Don't say that! Just ordered Basalt Black! Thing is tho', Black does look better when clean, it just harder to keep that way, particularly in the UK.

Black is so much better than basalt, and also a lot darker.
    A bit harder to keep clean though.
    Ciao
    Silvio

I'm going with basalt, i see one next to my work and i stair at it for a while can't take my eyes off. it does not look dusty like other cars, it's shiny and it has some sparkels.
    I would post some nice pics but don't know how really !!

I thought Basalt looked somewhat brownish in the sun and didn't like it. I was hoping it was like the M3 metallic black which has a blue hue to it in the sun. I spent many days trying to decide between the two, but in the end went with black.

Not that you can really tell in a photo but here are a couple of pics of a 987S basalt black that I test drove a while ago.

The car, believe me, was dirty but you could not tell unless close to the car. Also, basalt black has a metalllic coating that gives the color a nice sparkle that you don't get with black. The coating sometimes decribed as "dust" disguises swirls, scracthes, dirt, etc.

I am pretty neutral on this discussion as opessed to others as my car is guards red, but although again I agree that black is nice, basalt black is easier to keep nice. This might or might not be a consideration for you. I am a clean freak when it comes to my car and could not live with black.

My 2 cents. I love both, was talked out solid black by my OPC salesman - I know him well and he was very keen I don't buy solid. I bought a new 996 in Basalt black and regretted it straight away BUT because it was SUCH a pain to clean HOWEVER, I still bought a 997 in Basalt black! Gluton for punishment!

Basalt - black with a gray identity crisis

Solid - the Real Deal.

my solid black....

this is real BLACK

Depends on the local climate. If I was home in NC, I'd go solid black over metallic any day. Here in the UK, I'm glad I got basalt as it's near impossible to keep a solid black car clean in this climate, especially when it's parked outside.

Yup, here in the UK I have a 'Basalt Black' 911 and a 'Pure Black' Audi. The Audi gets visibly dirtier MUCH quicker than the 911. Both look stunning polished up.

The thing I love about the basalt though is the multi-colours you can see as you get closer to it. IMHO, the slightly grey tinge makes the car much more understated and a little classier as a result.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752823 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430468 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258471 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255398 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5248 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868078 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801664 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM