Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Response to RC's "serious word to all users"

RC, I would like to say that I read what you said carefully and some of it makes sense to me. I agree this site should be checked for silly discussions, however I have a problem with your atttitude to non sports car owners and young people. I personally am young my self, I do drive and I drive what I consider a sports car. I am very into cars and I look forward everytime I come to rennteam to participate. I think its a great site. Now I may not be a rich kid whos driving a ferrari his parents gave him to look cool and participate on forums and I may not be a middle aged man in his mid life crisis, but I do love cars and I love researching and knowing about them and communicating with people who have had the opportunity to drive these cool machines, and I also know a lot more about cars then many of these people who have these expensive cars. I have driven porsches maserati, mercedes amg, bmw M and more. And even if i hadn't you shouldn't exclude people just cause they don't have so much money or don't have rich parents to buy them or they have parents who know not to get their young children rediculous sports cars. I have mentioned my father because he has sports cars and I happen to know far more about it then him. So if you just want people to pretend they have sports cars then I will, but i'm not wanting to do that. YOu mention your wife, some mention their freinds, brothers or whatever. I feel this message of yours is directed at me cause I have mentioned my father but that was only because I'm tring to find info for him and I enjoy giving him advice on cars. I do not get involved with arguements or put other people down so I believe that I have a right to stay a member here.
    Thankyou for taking the time to read this.
    -dsts6

RC:
    "Rennteam.com is, unlikely other car forums, a non-commercial discussion place for sportscar enthusiasts and sportscar owners. This is OUR house, we make the rules.

Lately, some discussions are getting childish and ridiculous. We are very concerned about it.

From now on, all threads which seem to be "unappropiate" for us, will be deleted or locked down without any warning.

Freedom of speech? Not here, guys. We're not a democracy, we're a private discussion forum run by people who invest a lot of time and money to keep it up and running.

And please, if you're not a Porsche owner (Ferrari owner in the Ferrari forum or Sportscar owner in the Sportscar forum) or if you're not even old enough to drive such a car, please ENJOY, READ but DO NOT POST if you're not knowing what you're saying. Posts like "my dad..." or "my old man..." are not welcomed, sorry.
    Provocative posts or posts which are based purely on common gossip won't be tolerated anymore.

This place is for serious discussions among owners, drivers and fellow enthusiasts. If you have a statement to make and you can PROVE it, make it and PROVE it. If you're just coming here to provoke or to have fun, get lost. Very simple rules everybody, even those who aren't very bright, should understand.

Again: OUR house, OUR rules, OUR decisions. You don't like it? Bye-bye. Amen. Simple rules.

And a last hint: for the first time in the history of Rennteam.com, we will definetely start deleting Users. This place has been always a very peaceful and civilized place, if it is going to become like other forums, we will start to take more "drastic" measures to keep a certain level of quality. Deleting Users will be one of them."

Re: Response to RC's "serious word to all users"

dsts6,

I don't want to start any major arguement but i believe you may be blowing things a bit out of proportion.

While i too am young and do not own a porsche yet (keyword yet) I am facinated by sports cars and race cars. I have fallen in love with Porsche's "Form follows function" etc. However i do not believe that RC or any other moderator is going to kick you or me or anyone else out because they are young or they don't own a Porsche, ferrari etc. My understanding is that the problems they are having are that the father comments are more "you say this but my daddy told me to believe this" and not the "while driving my dad's car i noticed this, can someone help me with it". There has been a lot of childish posting lately as RC stated and everyone here at rennteam just needed to be aware of the rules of this forum.

In Porsche's own words (my favorite quote: "There's the moment you first want one, the moment you first own one, and for the truely afflicted, the decade or two that passes in between". (I am hoping this summer to purchase my first 911.) Right now myself and many other members are in the decade or two that passes in between. That doesn't mean that we are immature or unable to communicate in posts here. I enjoy rennteam.com because of the community we have here and for the fact that I gain so much knowledge by reading the posts and asking questions of the very knowledgeable owners here so that one day I can make the first step into Porsche ownership.

as RC said its not about provoking or just having fun; its about being a porsche community to help gain information and share the experience.

dsts6,

Not sure that RC is referring to you! I've read your posts and IMO they're cool! I'm sure I would get the boot before you! No worries...!

BTW, you're very young( and lucky) to have driven those cars!

Quote:
    schmuy said:
    dsts6,

I don't want to start any major arguement but i believe you may be blowing things a bit out of proportion.

While i too am young and do not own a porsche yet (keyword yet) I am facinated by sports cars and race cars. I have fallen in love with Porsche's "Form follows function" etc. However i do not believe that RC or any other moderator is going to kick you or me or anyone else out because they are young or they don't own a Porsche, ferrari etc. My understanding is that the problems they are having are that the father comments are more "you say this but my daddy told me to believe this" and not the "while driving my dad's car i noticed this, can someone help me with it". There has been a lot of childish posting lately as RC stated and everyone here at rennteam just needed to be aware of the rules of this forum.

In Porsche's own words (my favorite quote: "There's the moment you first want one, the moment you first own one, and for the truely afflicted, the decade or two that passes in between". (I am hoping this summer to purchase my first 911.) Right now myself and many other members are in the decade or two that passes in between. That doesn't mean that we are immature or unable to communicate in posts here. I enjoy rennteam.com because of the community we have here and for the fact that I gain so much knowledge by reading the posts and asking questions of the very knowledgeable owners here so that one day I can make the first step into Porsche ownership.

as RC said its not about provoking or just having fun; its about being a porsche community to help gain information and share the experience.

maybe I misunderstood RC thats all, let me know

Plain english ... conduct yourself like a gentlemen on this forum.

Quote:

And please, if you're not a Porsche owner (Ferrari owner in the Ferrari forum or Sportscar owner in the Sportscar forum) or if you're not even old enough to drive such a car, please ENJOY, READ but DO NOT POST if you're not knowing what you're saying.
    Provocative posts or posts which are based purely on common gossip won't be tolerated anymore.

Missed this post. Is Nick gone yet?

RC, do you find Subarus bad cars ? They are in a different league in comparison with Porsche in terms of durability and reliability. However, P-cars are in a different world in terms of many other things.

mv, I'm not so sure Subaru's have a "different league" in terms of durability and reliabilty compared to Porsche. I have a 5 year old modified WRX which has done more than 70,000kms and has had no problems whatsoever and hope to get another 70,000kms trouble-free. You're right about other factors between P's and "Rexes" eg. handling, delivery of power and build-quality.. Yes I'ved "riced" my Rex, but it doesn't have the "soul" of my Box or upcoming 911.. still makes a great and safe everday driver.

As a moderator at flat-6.net, I can tell you that I perfectly understand RC's point of view.

We are trying everyday to keep a certain quality to the forum and he's trying to do the same. The fact of the matter is, there are no easy solutions to achieve that goal. We, at flat-6.net, are aware that sometimes some actions need to be taken to keep the quality of the forum.

None the less, sometimes our actions (delete threads or users) leads to even more controversy among members, just like this thread shows it does the same here at rennteam.

I don't, as some of you, own a P-car. But I never said I had one and never gave advice or comments on such topics as driving experience or how the car feels like, etc. That's what I think should be the main rule: shut up if you don't what you are talking about.

On the other hand, banning people because they don't own a P-car is not, IMHO, a solution. People are just going to pretend they own one. And as there's no way to find if they own one or not, if they are lying or telling the truth, that kind of action might just backfire at rennteam.

Anyway, I'm not too worried as Rennteam is doing more than great and I can fairly say that I've not been able to find such quality elsewhere. RC has done and is still doing an amazing job. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank him for everything is done. Great job !

I have to say that I think RC has a fair point and setting a few ground rules is no bad thing.

I'm a member of a number of forums and one of them recently became saturated by stupid comments and tit-for-tat which really started to ruin the forum. Luckily it was resolved on that forum and I think a few ground rules are not a bad idea.

This is a great forum and one that I use over and above all others for info, help and good advice on my Porsche. Keep up the good work.

Guys, please understand that my mother language isn't English. What I meant is the following:

We're trying to keep the discussions on a high quality level, meaning as much information as possible, sometimes somehow mixed with some off-topic stuff but this is OK as long as it doesn't get out of proportions.
    Posts like "I just drove in my dad's Porsche and its cool..." or "my neighbor has a bad a.. Porsche and it rocks..." are not really welcomed. Unless your dad's/neighbor's Porsche is a testmule and you're the son/daughter of a Porsche engineer.
    Posts like "look what I found on the website XYZ, this is a bad a.. machine..." are not welcomed either.

If you want to keep this site alive, provide REAL information, entertainment, rumors, whatever. But don't say something just for the purpose of saying something, we don't want to brake the thread record.
    There are sites where the thread index page changes every day because there are so many threads. This would be a pitty because some interesting threads would disappear after a day. We don't want this.

Also, check the archives first before posting something "new". We have so many "news" which are actually OLD news.

To make a long story short: we don't want to have posts which would be more suitable for a Playstation/XBox discussion forum, I think you get my point.
    We also don't need owners of other car brands to come over and start bashing Porsche/Ferrari or other sportscars. If somebody has to say something and he can PROVE it, so be it, we're all open minded people here and if there is some truth in it, I'm sure nobody will be upset.

With regards to Subaru: the WRX is a sportscar, the Forester surely isn't. You get my point.

There is so much crap on the internet, sites full of psychos, ego-maniacs and fake identities, we really don't need this here. Many friendships have resulted from the membership here at Rennteam.com, we don't want to be like other car sites who are fighting for high user numbers and high traffic to get more ads.

We discussed the possibility of blocking new registrations, especially from Hotmail, Yahoo, etc. email addresses and deleting users who haven't logged in for at least 3 months in the past. We also discussed the possibility of restricting READING access for non-registered Users.

Please understand that this site is run, paid for and maintained by a group of people who put a lot of work, heart and soul into this site. And we only reason we did this is because we always looked for a site like this on the internet and never found one in the past...a website from enthusiasts for enthusiasts, not a site run by people who want to earn money with it and actually don't give a sh.t about the quality of content of their site. Why they don't care? Simple: because if they would, they would need to tell Users what I'm telling them and they would loose a lot of them.

One reason why we're getting a lot of unofficial "official" information is the nature of Rennteam.com. The manufacturers and even some dealers understood that the main purpose of this site is to create a deeper connection between the product (cars) and the users (customers). Discussing, showing off pictures and experiences, even complaining, all this creates a stronger bond to the product (cars).

If we start to discuss cars like people discuss cars on car racing video games forums, people won't "trust" our threads/posts anymore, they avoid us.

We understand that many of you feel that the internet should be a place of freedom of speech and freedom of behaviour. But please also understand that I or others from the discussion team are spending sometimes hours per day for Rennteam.com and we really want to keep it the way it became a success...a civilized place for enthusiasts and owners to discuss what they love (almost) most: CARS.
    We're sorry if we're not a hip discussion forum with flash animations and cool moderators but maybe after you had enough of such "entertainment", you'll come to the place where you can get REAL information, REAL experience from REAL owners and fellow enthusiasts.

Let the others play "National Enquirer", "PS2 Magazine" or "Rice Burner Custom Tuning Central" we're more of a "Washington Post" or "New York Times". Cheers.

You go RC

RC, You are totally in the right. I am a member of the Ferrari Owners site and I know of a new Lambo site that like the Ferrari site makes you put the vin of your car to join. The point is an exchange of information not a soapbox.

RC ,

Firstly and rightfully thanks for a great board .

BUT this is with regard to your "SERIOUS WORD TO ALL USERS" post . Do you think the tone that you used was appropriate in paragraphs 5 and 7 because it sounded and read very distasteful , dont want to start any ill feeling but it did sound very offish and please guys my opinion has got nothing to do with the fact that I dont own a P.

Again I dont want to start any arguments Christian but I just thought I would type what many others are probably thinking..

My opinion ..

throt..

Guys, give the guy a break! RC has taken the time to voice his point, and then clarify, and (again) apologise for not coming across clearly, and STILL you put the boot in.

Main point (as RC has explained very eloquently) is that if the forums descend into triviality, the manufacturers will stop looking here for feedback and stop giving RC et al access to pre-launch info. I think we should focus on that, eh?

Quote:
    throt said:
    Do you think the tone that you used was appropriate in paragraphs 5 and 7 because it sounded and read very distasteful

I can't (and don't want to) speak for him, but I usually have a very hard time trying to translate tones and attitudes from my native language to english, due to specific turns of phrase and my limited english skill
    Not to mention this is the internet&all, it's depersonalisation being another hurdle when trying to convey subtle human moods..

Quote:
    RC said:
    Guys, please understand that my mother language isn't English.

RC - You write your posts in English almost as well as I could write them in German!! (I wish)

Seriously, tones can be deceptive even when written in one's mother tongue. The fact is you've every right to defend/protect Rennteam (your baby) in any way you think fit.

We all know you're doing it for the eventual benefit of all worthwhile users - and for that we should all be grateful.

My sincere thanks to you and your team for everything. Life would not be the same without this site.

Quote:
    brunner said:
    I usually have a very hard time trying to translate tones and attitudes from my native language to english, due to specific turns of phrase and my limited english skill
    Not to mention this is the internet&all, it's depersonalisation being another hurdle when trying to convey subtle human moods..

Being not a native speaker myself I'm in the same boat
    I am sure that RC's disclaimer is not meant to be rude in any way, but otherwise - if it would come across like this to native speakers - maybe it has a deterrent effect to all sort of internet morons and therefore perfectly fulfills it purpose

Quote:
    dsts6 said:
    I feel this message of yours is directed at me cause I have mentioned my father but that was only because I'm tring to find info for him and I enjoy giving him advice on cars. I do not get involved with arguements or put other people down so I believe that I have a right to stay a member here.
    -dsts6

dsts6,

Couldn't help noticing that you hadn't got a direct reply to the above, and would not want to presume to reply on RC's behalf, but would like to reassure you by telling you this:

RC's "serious word" was most certainly not directed at you. Another poster, who also happened to be pretty young and to mention his father in his first post, distinguished himself by inappropriately using an obscenity in his very post. I say "inappropriately" because I myself am neither a prude, nor an angel or saint when it comes to the use of some of the less PC anglo-saxon terms which are still current in the English language. But in this instance I still felt that the poster's use of an expletive was done purely for "effect". I commented on it, only to harvest an even saltier response from him.

He must have had another exchange with someone else, because a moderator, Carlos of Spain, later mentioned that he had also been "offensive to a respected rennteam member", or words to that effect.

After that, the thread was closed down, and RC wrote his "serious word".

You will now recognize that it was not addressed to you. I am sure that I also speak for others when I say that there is no prejudice against young posters here on rennteam, or against posters who mention other family members. Speaking for myself, some of the most interesting, informative, enjoyable and reasoned posts I have read here on rennteam have been from quite a young member.

So don't take something personally which was not aimed at you, and continue to enjoy rennteam.com. It's still the best forum on the net, even though we seem to have suddenly lost our Santa Clauses.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    He must have had another exchange with someone else, because a moderator, Carlos of Spain, later mentioned that he had also been "offensive to a respected rennteam member", or words to that effect.

Quote:
    fritz said:Speaking for myself, some of the most interesting, informative, enjoyable and reasoned posts I have read here on rennteam have been from quite a young member.

Hmmm, I didn't know Nick was a teenager!!

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:Speaking for myself, some of the most interesting, informative, enjoyable and reasoned posts I have read here on rennteam have been from quite a young member.

Hmmm, I didn't know Nick was a teenager!!

I wrote "quite young", not "infantile"!

Ooops! I'll have to more careful, otherwise I'll be at the receiving end of a "serious word".

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    dsts6 said:
    I feel this message of yours is directed at me cause I have mentioned my father but that was only because I'm tring to find info for him and I enjoy giving him advice on cars. I do not get involved with arguements or put other people down so I believe that I have a right to stay a member here.
    -dsts6

RC's "serious word" was most certainly not directed at you. Another poster, who also happened to be pretty young and to mention his father in his first post, distinguished himself by inappropriately using an obscenity in his very post. I say "inappropriately" because I myself am neither a prude, nor an angel or saint when it comes to the use of some of the less PC anglo-saxon terms which are still current in the English language. But in this instance I still felt that the poster's use of an expletive was done purely for "effect". I commented on it, only to harvest an even saltier response from him.

Fritz,
    You're talking about this young kid from the UK.
    I've forgotten his username already.
    But I have no problem in admitting that I am the moderator who barred him from Rennteam. Never done it before but he just represented IMO everything that a member should not do, including the fact he told you to go f*ck yourself if you remember well.
    He will not be missed.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    dsts6 said:
    -dsts6

dsts6,

Couldn't help noticing that you hadn't got a direct reply to the above, and would not want to presume to reply on RC's behalf, but would like to reassure you by telling you this:

After that, the thread was closed down, and RC wrote his "serious word".

You will now recognize that it was not addressed to you. I am sure that I also speak for others when I say that there is no prejudice against young posters here on rennteam, or against posters who mention other family members. Speaking for myself, some of the most interesting, informative, enjoyable and reasoned posts I have read here on rennteam have been from quite a young member.

So don't take something personally which was not aimed at you, and continue to enjoy rennteam.com. It's still the best forum on the net, even though we seem to have suddenly lost our Santa Clauses.

Fritz,

Well said! I agree. And as usual, your excellent sense of humor is intact

Cheers!

Quote:
    fritz said:
    even though we seem to have suddenly lost our Santa Clauses.

Well...Santa went to the mountains and the Santa Smileys with him. Greetings from Austria, guys.

Santa has one sweet ride! Very cool, RC!

Santa definately is riding in style...thats for sure!

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    dsts6 said:
    -dsts6

Fritz,
    You're talking about this young kid from the UK.
    I've forgotten his username already.
    But I have no problem in admitting that I am the moderator who barred him from Rennteam. Never done it before but he just represented IMO everything that a member should not do, including the fact he told you to go f*ck yourself if you remember well.
    He will not be missed.

WOW!!!! Fanch! I'm glad I followed this thread to see what the brouhaha was about. My compliments on your decisive action.

How about those Mets!!!!

I think RC and everyone else involved in the creating and maintaining of this forum are doing a great job. I have been reading rennteam for years before joining only recently and am surprised that such a site even exists. A site with no advertising or pop-ups and tips and reviews of cars from people that have actually driven and own the cars A real community feeling and I also like the fact that if someone is rude or abusive they are out.I wish there were other forums with the same integrity as rennteam, not just for exotic cars but for other topics like investing.

Great work

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778003 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442006 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262931 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261170 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85420 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5684 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880844 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816400 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM