Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: US Car Magazines

Road and Track hardly ever tests SUVs or Vans. They are purer in their mission. Car and Driver, I rate second because they are all over the place with their tests and some of the articles try to be humorous to often.

Motor Trend used to be crap but lately they have turned into a Euro Mag wannabe, with beautiful layouts and lots of articles in each issue.

Automobile is a niche Magazine, they use to many contract journalists, which makes their identity hard to read.

I susbcribe to them all, as welll a Excellence (a glorified catalog), because here in America, a year's worth of magazines is the same price as buying two issues off the news stand.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Speed shifting and power shifting is a common technique in the US for dragstrip racing to get max performance in accelleration. Its part of US performance car culture but not part of euro luxury performance car culture.

Its not routed in sportcars but it is in motocross for example, we call it shifting "a patada" which means sort of "kick-shifting". I sometimes have to do it in my SportQuad when comming out of certain corners were I can't even reach for the clutch due to the body posture & cornering forces but yet I cannot wait untill I can reach the clucth to upshift or else I would loose too much time accelerating out. So you have to coordinate the throttle and kick the gear in without the clucth. Similar methos but different purpose.

On a drag strip racer it would be OK, you are racing and its a straight line drag race, but if I see someone doing this to a Z06 or a Porsche just to get 2 tenths o a second more acceleration, I would have to count to 10 so as not to strangle him!

Quote:
    RC said:
    ...this time in a Cadillac Escalade with XMRadio playing the latest HipHop tracks...well, suites the car very well and drives my wife crazy.

You married a woman with impeccable taste!

Back in the early to mid 70s when I started reading the 3 main US monthly car mags, R&T was the undisputed sports car nut mag with a editorial slant that reflected it's southern California love of all car things European . C and D, based near Detroit, was more mass market oriented and Motor Trend , owned by Hot Rod mag's founder was and is still is inconsistant and hard to figure out, being such a kiss-up to the industry and advertisers and usually the only rag known to non car people due to their " Car of the Year " hype in mainstream news and media .

Today, they are all dumbed down , esp compared to the British mags.

Autoweek has deteriorated a lot also, witness this week's cover headlines : " Girl Power...Design for the Sexes " ; " Hip-Hop Hooray - Culture Shapes The Ride "; " Car Style -Design Guru Ralph Lauren Tells All: Who Has Style , Who Has Elegance, His Favorite Designer & More ! " Oh brother .

Carlos, Corvette transmissions are very heavily built. Its ok to a patada them. Their clutches are inexpensive and easy to change also, so save the rope! If you ever drive one, just beat the hell out of it.

The other expression here for a patada is "slam shifting."

It really came out of the 60's muscle car era when 7 and 8 liter V8s with truck gearboxs didnt shift fast and the clutch materials of that time were weak and didnt last long. So what else to do?

Keep in mind that the drive shafts then were maybe 1.5m long, 110mm thick and solid steel. Original Chrysler Hemis often used a length of hardened chain to keep the engine from torquing off its engine mounts, so we are talking about automobile primitive in that era. You gonna drive far with all of that connected to a thin asbestos clutch, a pedal and a cheap wire cable?

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    ...this time in a Cadillac Escalade with XMRadio playing the latest HipHop tracks...well, suites the car very well and drives my wife crazy.

So how come she ended up with RC?

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

So how come she ended up with RC?

LOL

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Performance car culture started from the bottom up in the US, while in Europe it started with the upper class.

As for class, money and cars... Gangsta Thug rappers in the USA saved Bentley and Rolls Royces ass by making them popular again.

In the urban hip hop culture Lambo, Bentley and Rolls are the must have status rides. The Benz G series used to be "in" but its out of favor now. Porsches were never in and Ferraris are seen as something for old white men or Persian American college kids in LA.

Culture? Cars? Its a salad here.

Interesting view, Jim. And believe it or not...I love being in the US. Maybe because of the "salad" (actually I love the huge steaks... ). Just can't wait to be there again...this time in a Cadillac Escalade with XMRadio playing the latest HipHop tracks...well, suites the car very well and drives my wife crazy.

You really should visit Chicago. They have the best steaks and massive portions of any steak houses in the US. Either Gibsons or Mortons are worth the airfare from Germany. They make steaks any place else seem like old Penguin meat.

If you drive in Chicago, be sure to have 5, 10 and 20 dollar bills on you, traffic cops dont make change there. For them, traffic is a business and their job is a franchise!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

You really should visit Chicago. They have the best steaks and massive portions of any steak houses in the US. Either Gibsons or Mortons are worth the airfare from Germany. They make steaks any place else seem like old Penguin meat.

The Argentinian-style upscale steak houses in Chicago are really hot right now, too.

Still , for me, nothing there beats a good , sloppy wet "Italian beef " sandwich or a genuine Chicago hot dog with the poppy seed bun, sport peppers, celery salt ,flourescent relish etc....

I think all car makers push their cars as hard as they can to get the best acceleration times.That seems logical, as the performance numbers given to the public are very important in a marketing point of view.

About speed shifting, don't forget that all the sequential gearboxes like smg, cambiocorsa, F1 push very hard and very fast on the synchros in the gearbox.It's exactly like trying to shift as fast as you can with a manual gearbox.

DSG are totally different and are very gentle with gears because it uses two clutches.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Performance car culture started from the bottom up in the US, while in Europe it started with the upper class.

As for class, money and cars... Gangsta Thug rappers in the USA saved Bentley and Rolls Royces ass by making them popular again.

In the urban hip hop culture Lambo, Bentley and Rolls are the must have status rides. The Benz G series used to be "in" but its out of favor now. Porsches were never in and Ferraris are seen as something for old white men or Persian American college kids in LA.

Culture? Cars? Its a salad here.

Interesting view, Jim. And believe it or not...I love being in the US. Maybe because of the "salad" (actually I love the huge steaks... ). Just can't wait to be there again...this time in a Cadillac Escalade with XMRadio playing the latest HipHop tracks...well, suites the car very well and drives my wife crazy.

If you drive in Chicago, be sure to have 5, 10 and 20 dollar bills on you, traffic cops dont make change there. For them, traffic is a business and their job is a franchise!

That is the only thing that I didn't like about America, everyone has their hand out for a dollar. Tips for everyone make sure you have a wad of 1's as well.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    But to be fair, Chevys Corvette engineering group has probably never heard of Sport Auto, I doubt they can even spell Nurburgring without help.

It costs more and for good reason.

So if the Corvette engineers were given the same parameters and limitations as the Porsche engineers how different do you think the cars would be? Is it possible that you are confusing management decisions for engineering?

America? No way, the rest of the world works for tips. Everytime I travel out of the US its always tip tip tip tip tip. Rarely tip at home, the only place is a restaurant.

Quote:
    Texas911 said:
    America? No way, the rest of the world works for tips. Everytime I travel out of the US its always tip tip tip tip tip. Rarely tip at home, the only place is a restaurant.

Well we only went to Vegas and San Francisco but they tipped everywhere there. When we arrived in Vegas we already had paid for the shuttle bus from airport to hotel but all the Americans were paying about a dollar per bag in the back to the driver who is paid anyway. When we arrived in the hotel we have to tip the guy that takes your bag. Even in the bar they were giving tips to the barmen. After 10 days in America we went to Japan which was the complete opposite, you never tip. To me I didn't like it because it's too expected, and forced. In Australia there is only tipping for in a restaurant and things like that, when you receive great service you should tip not just tipping for the sake of tipping.

I would like to know where you travel because I have travelled around Asia ( Japan, Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore) and Europe ( Italy, Germany, France, Monte Carlo, Spain, Austria and Switzerland) quite a lot and there is no place out of these countries that expects tips for service that should be provided anyway than America.

My family and I loved going to America. People are friendly and like to talk, especially middle aged African Americans, they are the happiest. San Francisco was a very interesting city, we stayed at Sir Francis Drake and Vegas was just amazing staying the Luxor.

Quote:
    vinnie said:
    That is the only thing that I didn't like about America, everyone has their hand out for a dollar. Tips for everyone make sure you have a wad of 1's as well.

You should have visited Spain or Italy a few decades ago!

Vinnie, Check your menue next time.

In Many EU the countries the tip is included in the bill.

In the US it isn't.

Much like tax isn't included until you pay for a product, very deceiving

Quote:
    vinnie said:

I always have my pocket full of one dollar notes for valet parking. I don't care about tipping but in the US I always have to use my calculator to make sure I don't make my waiter/waitress angry.

If somebody is wondering why I'm driving a Cadillac Escalade in the US, the reason is pretty simple: I need a big car (two kids, wife, lots of luggage) and the renting rate is somehow acceptable. We usually always rented a Lincoln Navigator during our US trips but it wasn't available anymore. Last year we had a Ford Explorer instead, the car was completely underpowered (V8 with 2xx HP?) and interior/luggage room wasn't too great.
    And I hate to listen to 5 minutes of music and afterwards 10 minutes of commercials, I want to listen to non-stop music, this is why I loved the idea of having XM Radio on a rental car. Especially since we're travelling from Miami to Orlando (Florida's Turnpike...boring hell for a driver) and back.

A funny sidenote: in my daughter's Kindergarden, they were talking about different countries. When it came to the US, my daughter said that the US is the most beautiful country in the world and that she loves it. She is five years old.

RC, if you think the turnpike is boring , try driving I-95 or I-10.....at least the turnpike is recently paved and has limited access....and with a continuous guard rail separating the travel lanes, the cop access to speeders is somewhat reduced to one direction......it's still no German superhighway but it's the best we have in sunny Florida.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    803101 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448519 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266045 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90027 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6515 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885603 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833118 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM