Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Total Audio System Overhaul

I've been trying to decide if the Bose audio system delivers an acceptable performance in the Boxster before I order the car. The answer is No.After some auditions of the Bose system I can honestly say that the sound quality is not acceptable for a car that is so technically advance.

Many Porsche owners are more worried about the mechanical performance of their cars than they are about the performance of the optional gear that accompanies the car. In my honest opinion, the whole package is important. You can not justify the fact that a $50k-$60k Porsche that is an automotive marvel lacks so much in the audio side of the car.

My current plan is to order the Boxster with the Bose Audio system because this would mean that all speaker cuts have been made at the factory (including the bass module). Once I receive the car, I would proceed to remove the head unit, the amplifier and the speakers (including the bass module). I would then replace them with after market products.

I would like your valuable input on the following:

-Can I end up messing some electronic functions of the car by doing this procedure?
    -Can I use the pre-existing cables to connect the after market equipment? If not, how hard will it be to put in new wires?
    -Anybody in the forum has done this procedure? Pictures?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Re: Total Audio System Overhaul

I would have to agree. The Bose itself isn't bad, but it can't cope with delivering an acceptable sound when on the move without cranking the volume up way high (Due to the ambient noise of the engine). I hardly ever have mine on, which is a shame, as it is pretty good when stationary.

I think someone has posted some details - might have been a hybrid of existing and new though... can't remember. May even have been 997.

Let us know how it goes if you decide to go ahead!

there is certainly a lot more engine and exhaust noise in the 987 compared to the 986.

I'm not a Bose fan but it was specced already on my car - i'm not into big boomy bass sounds, so i don't have to crank up the settings that so many other prople seem to have to.

If you are ripping it out, then why not opt for the sound package - you still get all the speaker placements (bar the sub / surround box) but get the more useful storage box under the the roll bars.

The CDR24 headunit still has the DIN plug connections from the wiring loom for power etc. The fibre optic MOST BUS is basically between the head unit and the amplifier but you're replacing this with std wiring anyway. I assume the most bus must also communicate to the instument display in the rev counter as this gives an additonal readout of the state of the stereo. This might be a problem ??

I cannot say much about replacement units since i have little knowledge of whats around in Venezuela. In the UK Rockford Fosgate, Pheonix Gold are soem of the front runners, with Alpine popular too. Focal speakers work well in Porsches, as do DLS (swedish), Diamond and Rainbow (German)

After visiting this option many times (I think I'm famous here for being the audiophile snob - haha) -- I frankly don't think it's worth overhauling a 987 sound system, especially with the Blose. The Blose, plays plenty loud, just the right amount for a nice top down drive. The benefits of putting a top of the line system don't make much sense in an open top vehicle. It would make more sense in a hard top - like the 911. Save the money you'd spend on Focal, Dynaudio and Alpine F1 for a later date.

Reus Audio is working on customizations for the 987 if you are interested. www.reusaudio.com

I agree, it's not worth it. It will cost a LOT of money by the way, since you have to run new copper all over the car to replace the MOST fiber bus.

And the bose sucks, and Porsche's head unit is a buggy pile of crap. Me no likey.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Save the money you'd spend on Focal, Dynaudio and Alpine F1 for a later date.

Sebastian,

If you do a search into what ajcastaneda has told us in the past about his dates, you will have a better understanding of that statement.

Or did I misunderstand something maybe?

I agree on the suckiness of the Bose... I went for the stock audio system and then upgraded all the speakers in their stock locations (there are 6 - the only extra location you get with Bose is the bass 'hole' between the seats). Since I already had a decent amp lying around the house from a previous car audio project, I had that mounted onto board cut to fit snugly onto the bottom of the front trunk. Then I had a fitted cover built over that which was trimmed in carpet to match the trunk, so I have a totally stealth install and only lose a couple inches of front trunk depth. I run the standard Porsche head unit. I wanted everything to remain stock looking but sound a hell of a lot better. Because there are 6 speaker locations (2 tweeters and 2 in each door), the larger of the two door speakers can be given a fairly substantial midbass speaker that in a car of this size is perfectly suited to kicking out enough crisp, clean bass. IMO. I went with a set of Morels and they run to my McIntosh 6-channel amp. If you do upgrade the stock stereo, make sure you switch 'loudness' to 'off' on your head unit - it adds a lot of compensation bass and that crutch is not needed once you upgrade your amp.

With both this and my previous car audio install (1974 MGB roadster) I was told by various people that it wasn't 'worth' it to try and get good audio in a convertible. I disagree - you can make vast improvements which, if you love your music, can totally enhance your driving and ownership experience. If it's worth it to YOU then do it. These are very well sound-proofed cars from the factory and the soft top is really well insulated. Plus, when the roof is down, the extra power from an aftermarket system can overcome external noises without the distortion and fatigue the stock stereo would give.

Hmm... was any of that information applicable to the 987? I see you have one, but I don't have a loudness option on my head unit. Maybe the non-bose unit has that?

The Bose has Audio-Pilot, which is supposed to adjust (via a microphone feedback loop) the equalisation to compensate for ambient noise. It doesn't work very well.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Save the money you'd spend on Focal, Dynaudio and Alpine F1 for a later date.

Sebastian,

If you do a search into what ajcastaneda has told us in the past about his dates, you will have a better understanding of that statement.

Or did I misunderstand something maybe?

Fritz-

I think you very well understand

HINT: My avatar was from that infamous date

I was considering a McIntosh for the car...hm...they make some good equipment and contrary to proper belief the Mc Amps are NOT made by Clarion.

A full system (Alpine F1 head unit, Mc/or F1 amps, with an F1 head unit or even an Eclipse) would have run over $5,000. I'd rather save that up for my next Porsche.

Different strokes for different folks though...

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    The Bose has Audio-Pilot, which is supposed to adjust (via a microphone feedback loop) the equalisation to compensate for ambient noise. It doesn't work very well.

I don't think it works at all!

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:I don't think it works at all!

But if it did, I would probably be more than happy. (I have a proper Hi-Fi setup in the house.) Especially if Porsche upgraded the CD-24 head unit to play MP3.

Yeah, even if I never get iPod integration I would accept mp3 capability on the CDR24 as an adequate substitute.

mcdelaug

Girlracer;

Any problems when you eliminated the MOST fiber cable to connect the McIntosh amplifier?

Did you use the same pre-existing cables from the original amplifier to the speakers?

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:I don't think it works at all!

But if it did, I would probably be more than happy. (I have a proper Hi-Fi setup in the house.) Especially if Porsche upgraded the CD-24 head unit to play MP3.

That's the one thing that makes me want to get the PCM unit retrofitted...the MP3 capability...

Quote:
    Sebastian said:
    Girlracer;

Any problems when you eliminated the MOST fiber cable to connect the McIntosh amplifier?

Did you use the same pre-existing cables from the original amplifier to the speakers?

Right, that was the other thing that made me go "hmm" about her response. That's a lot of work, I'd think!

I just want to replace the friggin' head unit.

It's not a lot of work if you take it to a pro audio shop. As I said, what level you take it to is a very personal choice. I just don't like to see people getting talked out of an audio upgrade because their car is a convertible.

Seb - the speaker cables were upgraded.

I can only imagine how much that cost. Actually I can't tell from your original post, but you replaced your head unit too right? I can't see how you'd retain the stock MOST bus head unit once you'd changed out the wiring and amp. What'd you replace it with?

To get an audio system overhaul means installing a whole new system over the MOST bus. The audio installer would have to be careful not to tamper with the MOST bus as many different electrical functions of the car are linked to it. No one to my knowledge that CURRENTLY can install new components (amp/head unit) using the current MOST bus. I don't think it's very likely that it will happen either. Just mention Mercedes to pro shop installer and they cringe hearing it since they realize they have to deal with a fiber-optic system.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762125 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435194 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260432 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257491 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80917 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872058 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807442 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM