Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Dent in Door Sill, Fixable w/o Headache?

Passenger drops his gear. Got dent. How DO they get this out? Can it be done w/o lots of trouble? Passenger feels bad but is still alive.

Re: Dent in Door Sill, Fixable w/o Headache?

""but is still alive"" , lmao ...

Am I just plain thick or what , wheres the damn dent .

As we look at the pic is its below the alu kick plate ? , below the letter C or is that the camera flash..

throt..

i have had luck with "fix a dent" type places.it will be easier if there is access from underneath. make sure you get word of mouth references and visit shop to get first hand oppinion.i can give you shop in west sub chicago if interested.have used them for door dings and was satisfied with result. crg

Quote:
    crg said:
    i have had luck with "fix a dent" type places.it will be easier if there is access from underneath.

Well, you can rule that out in this case.

Throt: it's the white dot. the curved light reflection should be straight line. Yeah, it's kinda funny too; breaking eachothers toys in the sandbox is where we started.

crg: so they CAN get dents out without rear access? You know we have all sorts of wires and hoses going thru under those door sills; drilling a hole from underneath would be a nighmare.

If that part is metal, which I think it is, then it should be pretty easy. If it is plastic, it must be heated up and then paint will come off. Elrich Auto in Aquebogue, NY (near Riverhead) does great work. If you're driving out to the Hamptons they are very convenient for an estimate. They do all the body work for Storm Motors in Southampton. I'm in Bridgehampton so if you need a ride back, no problem.

Its so annoying cause you know its there and as for the wires and hoses going through the sill this in turn will make the job more expensive , at a guess $400 to $500 imo . I myself would have to get it done..

throt..

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Passenger feels bad but is still alive.

Here M's what did he drop on it anyway ? , if it was his wallet make him pay up..

throt..

The best dent guy I have ever seen used a magnet and a metal rod hat looked like a bent coat hanger. At first I freaked when i saw the guy coming up to my front door but he absolutely performs magic, not a dent in site and all for 100 euros. Have used him ever since oo my ferraris and some older jaguars.

Hence my point you dont need to spend a lot of money in some fancy shop to fix the dent

Quote:
    LB said:
    The best dent guy I have ever seen used a magnet and a metal rod hat looked like a bent coat hanger. At first I freaked when i saw the guy coming up to my front door but he absolutely performs magic, not a dent in site and all for 100 euros. Have used him ever since oo my ferraris and some older jaguars.

Hence my point you dont need to spend a lot of money in some fancy shop to fix the dent

Lol , that reminded me of the due I used on my M3 a couple of years ago , I had 2 dents on the bonnet and another 1 on the side . I just left him to it I could not watch but at the end I was so happy , you would never of known they were there , amazing..

throt..

Quote:
    LB said:
    The best dent guy I have ever seen used a magnet and a metal rod hat looked like a bent coat hanger. At first I freaked when i saw the guy coming up to my front door but he absolutely performs magic.......

I bet you thought he'd come to look for an underground water source in your back yard.

Let me ask a really dumb question?? how are those sills affixed.. Didn't I read a post somewhere how guys got them off to install logoed ones.. Aren't they glued on. If so I would consider ordering a new sill from parts dept. and replacing the dented one. Drilling up though that sill area wouls scare the beJ***** out of me.

Quote:
    RAKLAW said:
    Let me ask a really dumb question?? how are those sills affixed.. Didn't I read a post somewhere how guys got them off to install logoed ones.. Aren't they glued on.

Not dumb. They use a real SOB sticky double-stick adhesive tape. Major pain to get the old ones off, must be heated big time with a heat gun, and they will be destroyed in process of removal. "Glued" on almost means "welded" in this case!

Damn I wonder if the dealer is going to screw me on labor costs if I decide to get the illuminated sills to replace my standard carbon fiber ones. Sounds like a very difficult process

MMD, see if there is a body shop in your area that also does the dent removal. The combination might work for you, if they can access the panel from the bottom side it may be your best bet.

I don't think it's possible to access that dent from below, without adding additional carnage to the problem. My worry is that the rockers are typically FAR THICKER metal than outer non-structural sheetmetal. It's a piece of cake for a good paintless-dent-repair guy to pull a dent from a door with a magnet, because the metal is relatively thin and easy to work with. But the gauge of metal used where stuctural rigidity is paramount can't be moved with any magnet, short of one powerful enough to practically lift up a corner of the car!! I would ask my local Porsche dealer who their "best" paintless dent dude is, and get his opinion. This may be a dent that you've just gotta learn to live with, at least nobody can see it from the outside. Or maybe it can be easily fixed. Only a dent-wizard dude can answer you authoritatively.

Quote:
    RAKLAW said:
    Let me ask a really dumb question?? how are those sills affixed.. Didn't I read a post somewhere how guys got them off to install logoed ones.. Aren't they glued on. If so I would consider ordering a new sill from parts dept. and replacing the dented one. Drilling up though that sill area wouls scare the beJ***** out of me.

The dented sill is an integral part of the car's pressed steel monocoque.

You are thinking of the decorative sill cover which is stuck onto the real sill using double-sided adhesive tape.

Fritz..Looking closer at MMD's photo, I see my "easy fix" is a nono. Yep, that part of the sill is definitely a part of the monocoque. Ouch.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    RAKLAW said:

The dented sill is an integral part of the car's pressed steel monocoque.

You are thinking of the decorative sill cover which is stuck onto the real sill using double-sided adhesive tape.

Yes its typical that it ( the object ) hit the actual sill and not the optional extra kick plate , very unluckly ol M's is , poor little sausage..

throt..

Quote:
    throt said:
    Yes its typical that it ( the object ) hit the actual sill and not the optional extra kick plate , very unluckly ol M's is , poor little sausage..

throt..

I guess the guy who dropped something is the sausage by now ....

On a more serious note, I don't think that sill itself belongs to the car's pressed steel monocoque. I believe that the "strong" side member is actual underneath (or inside if you will) the sill. Take a look at the screenshot below. The side member is on a different page in the PET (screenshot copyright of Porsche AG) and not visible here. So the dent magician might have a better chance that thought.

To further prove my case, here's the "body in white" as they call it (Graphic copyright Porsche AG):

Absolutely do not attempt to repair this 'dent' by drilling a hole or anything like that! It will lead to nothing but headaches down the road. There is a commercial product known as "Fix A Dent" that is a very serious glue that you stick to the problem spot and then use leverage from their special kit to pop the dent back out. Obviously, it will work better on a flat panel that is relatively thin than on a thicker metal part that has angles or seams. You may never got the dent out but absolutely do not grind or drill on that spot. It will only be a bigger problem when you do that. In the body business there is one carnal rule,--try not to remove any original paint if you can avoid it.

Good luck. (Try covering it up with ANOTHER piece of custom manufactured stainless steel to match the factory pieces,--do this on both door jams.)

Dan

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774795 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440327 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262070 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260308 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84834 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879387 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814209 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM