Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

The Cayman and its expensive options

Hello all,

I was wondering, is it a stupid idea to NOT take full leather in such an expensive car like the Cayman S?

Options are very expensive at Porsche's.

In a Cayman S configuration, I'm leaning towards

- PASM
    - Sportseats

that's ALL!! Does Porsche sell many cars with that few options? Is it silly for such a car to keep it that basic? Or should one better wait for the 2,7(?) Cayman and take more options then?

Your opinions please, what other options should be added (xenon?)?

Re: The Cayman and its expensive options

No, it's not silly to skip the option. Especially if you intend on selling it soon, options contribute VERY little to the resale price (but may make your car attractive to more buyers if you choose the options well).

If I ordered a Cayman, I would consider taking no options other than Sport Chrono (and maybe sport seats). I think I would definitely skip PASM - seems like a gimmick to me and I'd replace the std suspension with coilovers if I intended to drive it hard anyways (not possible to replace PASM with coilovers, AFAIK).

I think it makes a lot of financial sense to keep it as basic as you can cope with. If you get black interior you can probably skip the full leather. I might be inclined to skip the PASM even, but would add Bi-Xenons, and possibly the smooth leather steering wheel. But spec it how you want - half the fun of ordering is deliberating over the spec!

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    I think it makes a lot of financial sense to keep it as basic as you can cope with. If you get black interior you can probably skip the full leather. I might be inclined to skip the PASM even, but would add Bi-Xenons, and possibly the smooth leather steering wheel. But spec it how you want - half the fun of ordering is deliberating over the spec!

Yeah, I forgot about Xenons - those are great to have.

Full leather is nice to have and dresses the car up a bit, especially if you are not taking a black interior. However, I would skip it, as it doesn't hold a lot of value to me in a sports car. If money is an issue, then spend the money elsewhere.

I'd spec mine similar to Grant's. I think it's also better to have a bare CaymanS than a loaded Cayman.

Some of the options may also depend on whether you are using this for a daily driver or merely a weekend toy.

moonstone, consider the sports steering wheel. If I purchased a Cayman it would be stock except for that one option. Sports seats are great too (have them in my 987S), but from what I've heard the stock seats are great too. The stock steering wheel however is too big IMO.

Agree regarding the steering wheel. If I were to pick only one option, I'd go with that (and maybe a metallic colour); the standard seats are excellent (I have them in my 987S). If you live in a cold climate then heated seats are nice, but that's it; I got the sports chrono which I enjoy but could live without. I love my sport shifter, but again, not an absolute must; I just found the throws on the standard shifter a little long for my liking. Good luck and enjoy

@ grant

if the car didn't have PASM, but aftermarket coilovers to lower it, won't that make the resale value drop dramatically ??

Quote:
    moonstone2 said:
    @ grant

if the car didn't have PASM, but aftermarket coilovers to lower it, won't that make the resale value drop dramatically ??

If Grant had a good road / track Cayman on coilovers, then reselling it would be the last thing on his mind.
    Am I right, Grant?

Why on earth would anyone want coilovers on a Cayman S unless it is a pure track car?
    The car is already somewhat too firm for road use (except perhaps on the super-smooth roads in Germany). It makes my 997 feel like a limousine.
    The one advantage of PASM as I see it is that you can choose a slightly softer option - although you are unlikely to ever change it except on a track.

Quote:
    moonstone2 said:
    @ grant

This would depend entirely on the buyer. Of course, one could always replace the stock suspension in its mint condition rather easily upon sale, if desired...

Quote:
    KenH said:
    Why on earth would anyone want coilovers on a Cayman S unless it is a pure track car?
    The car is already somewhat too firm for road use (except perhaps on the super-smooth roads in Germany). It makes my 997 feel like a limousine.
    The one advantage of PASM as I see it is that you can choose a slightly softer option - although you are unlikely to ever change it except on a track.

Ken - the better adjustable coilovers (especially those with external nitrogen cannisters) have excellent ride quality and can bet set to offer a more gentle ride than stock, if so desired.

Of course, a true track setup (with very stiff springs) will never be limosine smooth on the road, but one can buy coilovers that will dramatically improve perforance while not worsening ride quality. The only downside is that the best of these systems are very expensive and require periodic maintenance.

A more modest and user-friendly system like Bilstein's PSS9 offers 9 independent firmness settings and can be set to either cruiser comfort or firm for track. Such a system is very appropriate for a Cayman, not too expensive, requires no maintenance, has a lifetime warranty, and probably offers better performance and better driver feedback than PASM on Sport setting (based on what I've read from PASM owners)...

"Ken - the better adjustable coilovers (especially those with external nitrogen cannisters) have excellent ride quality and can bet set to offer a more gentle ride than stock, if so desired."

That is something I would indeed like to try. I have yet to experience any aftermarket conversion that does anything but lower the car and make the suspension less compliant.

Interesting opinion! I tried Cayman S both with and without PASM and to my suprise I liked PASM car more! Yes, I agree that on 997/997S coupe PASM is not the best thing(that's why I ordered my 997S with -20mm/LSD option) but, IMO on Cayman S PASM is better calibrated then on 997s. I have PASM and 19" on my Boxster S too and IMO it is a lot better then stock Boxster suspension... But, as I said before 997(especially if you like precise and surgical feel while you are driving) coupe is better with -20mm/LSD then with PASM.
    At the end this is a very personal choice(and we all have different preferences...).

If the relationship between Cayman and Cayman S is similar to that between Boxster and Boxster S, then definitely go with the low option S over the loaded non-S.

Although I'm not seriously in the market right now, I might be in a year and I have spent time playing around with the Porsche configurator and have found that I would likely end up with very few option too. Atlas grey paint (current choice, subject to change!), sport seats, sports steering wheel and Xenons.

The standard spec is actually very good. The availability of options makes us consumers question it though, but if full leather was not an option, I think most of us would think the interior is just fine as it is!

Hello again, thank you for all the replies.

Grant, you seem to know a lot about coilovers and suspensions ;-) Maybe you could explain a bit ?

What would I need for coilover kits to have something
    equal to the PASM, or better in terms of sportiness?

The way I understand it, the PASM switches between 2 suspension setups, one that is stiff (sport mode) and one that is more soft (comfort mode)

If I installed a coilover kit instead of the PASM, would the car then handle like if it had PASM installed and switched on all the time, meaning that it is in sport mode all the time? Or is there more to PASM than just 2 suspension setups?

In short, can coilover kits replace PASM that would be left switched on all the time? Or is there more to PASM than just a different spring setup?

What would be good coilovers? You mentioned Bilstein, are there better ones? What do you mean by, periodic maintenance?
    Is it actually a good idea to configure a Porsche with aftermarket suspensions? What about the Warranty?

Boy, I hope I'm not annoying you with all these questions. I appreciate very much your knowledge about this matter,

Thanks a lot!

I'm in a bit of a rush now, so I'll just mention that there are no coilovers available immediately for the Cayman, AFAIK. But, I'm certain that there will be shortly. A well tuned (by a professional) aftermarket system can give you better performance than PASM. There may be compromises in terms of cost and maintenance that the vast majority of users may find unnecessary or undesirable. However, for those who want something better performing than PASM (with the ability to lower the ride height more or less), then I recommend that they do not order PASM, so that coilovers can be easily fitted later.

The products that I assume will be devloped for the Cayman soon include Bilstein PSS9, Moton Clubsport and Racing, Ohlins, JRZ, Penske, etc.

Bilstein PSS9 is probably the best for a street car with occasional track use, while some of the others are more biased to the track. I am told by a very experienced Porsche shop that the difference in lap time between a Sport factory suspension and a full-race setup like Moton is in the neighborhood of 6 seconds for a 1.5 to 2 minute course (that is huge).

"In short, can coilover kits replace PASM that would be left switched on all the time? Or is there more to PASM than just a different spring setup?"

I thought that PASM was just an electronically variable shock absorber (with 2 positions) combined with slightly shorter springs.
    I can't see that you could have coilovers and PASM because you would have to replace the PASM's shock absorbers with whatever the coilover kit came with.

I like the idea of the looser traction control settings and faster throttle response available with Sport Chrono. I haven't had a chance to try it but I know some of the professional drivers rate it as more appealing/useful than PASM.

Black without full leather looks cool. I'd rather spend the money on Armani for me, than for dressing up the interior.

what about sportseats? Are they that much better, especially when you track the car occasionally? They are not cheap if you don't take full leather.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688829 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408832 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255585 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234837 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65428 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857682 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773581 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM