Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche, a younger image?

I understand that sometimes, a brand's image may have something to do with its pricing and higher priced product may seem to project a more sophisticated image.

I had a discussion yesterday with a friend of mine. He said he would always want a Ferrari. However, when I said I begged to differ... he didn't trust me that I would want a 997 TT over a F430 anytime... when he asked why? I said cos Porsche projects a more vibrant, energetic image... i.e., it's young and hip. Alternatively, I said frankly speaking, even if I were have the $$$ today, I would still pick a 997 TT over a F430. He sortta disagree but the image of a brand is a subjective issue.

I am 30 this year and am using my hard earned money to buy my first entry level Porsche. Although it is a 987s (in HK, it costs me my arm, my leg and my head at 115K USD... and my full down payment for my mortgage is so OUT) but I am waiting for its delivery. I hope to enjoy it but I do love the 997 TT which will run me into the 220K range USD and it is a car which I think I would want to drive. I don't think even at 50-60 I would want a Ferrari... it's just not very me. Oh well... Porsche to me is forever young and forever there!

Re: Porsche, a younger image?

Quote:
    ptcja said:
    (in HK, it costs me my arm, my leg and my head at 115K USD... the 997 TT which will run me into the 220K range USD

I understand that HK exercises a very heavy duty (tax) on cars in general. I thought a boxster would cost more than 115k USD! How much does a C2S cost in HK?
    I think F-cars have an older image because they're quite a bit more expensive in general and one needs to work hard for that many more years to own one.
    Incidentally, I think some of the younger ones with big phat city bonuses are opting for lambos instead...
    Personally, I'd take a Porsche over a Ferrari how ever old I am. At least that's what I think for now...

Personally I love Porsche and it's my favorite brand but to be honest Ferrari has a younger image. Just look at allt he people driving 911s and 991 turbos the majortiy of them are older than 30 and a huge percentage of them are over 40 years old at least here in Sweden. These people are the real enthusiasts who have dreamed about owning a Porsche ver since they were ten years old but aren't able to afford one until they hit middle age.

When it comes to Ferrari it's a whole different story. Just look at all the young self made millionaries they all drive 360 modenas, continental GTs and lamborghini Gallardo. Most people buy these cars just for their sexy images. In order to get the desire to wanting a 911 you have do have alot of knowledge a car and appretiate perfect engineering and alot of young people don't have this knowledge and there for don't appretiate Porsche. In that sence Ferrari has a younger image than Porsche.

Quote:
    luwalira said:
    Personally I love Porsche and it's my favorite brand but to be honest Ferrari has a younger image. Just look at allt he people driving 911s and 991 turbos the majortiy of them are older than 30 and a huge percentage of them are over 40 years old at least here in Sweden. These people are the real enthusiasts who have dreamed about owning a Porsche ver since they were ten years old but aren't able to afford one until they hit middle age.

When it comes to Ferrari it's a whole different story. Just look at all the young self made millionaries they all drive 360 modenas, continental GTs and lamborghini Gallardo. Most people buy these cars just for their sexy images. In order to get the desire to wanting a 911 you have do have alot of knowledge a car and appretiate perfect engineering and alot of young people don't have this knowledge and there for don't appretiate Porsche. In that sence Ferrari has a younger image than Porsche.

True. Porsche has a more mature image. For me, it means sophistication and razor sharp precision, without having to resort to flash and bling to make it desirable. Ferraris are really nice and I would love to owe one someday, but not at the expense of a 911 Turbo.
    Btw, Ferraris are no more expensive than comparable Porsches in Europe.

Luwalira you hit the nail on the head. I've wanted a 911 for years and now I can afford one - I would never buy a Ferrari, they are just too flashy. A 911 is the ultimate cool car.

Quote:
    moto said:

How much does a C2S cost in HK?

A basic C2S with no options cost USD186,000-. C4S runs you 203,000-

Luwalira is right.

Quote:
    Schemeloong said:
    A basic C2S with no options cost USD186,000-. C4S runs you 203,000-

That's like 1.4m HK dollars!!
    I suppose much of that is tax!!?

Quote:
    moto said:
    Quote:
    ptcja said:
    (in HK, it costs me my arm, my leg and my head at 115K USD... the 997 TT which will run me into the 220K range USD

C2S will put you up into the 200K range... actually 987 s is nudging the 120K range USD. BTW, what could 120K get you in US? I don't even wanna begin to think... maybe nudging a Carrera or a Cs

I understand that HK exercises a very heavy duty (tax) on cars in general. I thought a boxster would cost more than 115k USD! How much does a C2S cost in HK?
    I think F-cars have an older image because they're quite a bit more expensive in general and one needs to work hard for that many more years to own one.
    Incidentally, I think some of the younger ones with big phat city bonuses are opting for lambos instead...
    Personally, I'd take a Porsche over a Ferrari how ever old I am. At least that's what I think for now...

Ferrari - For the ol over produced due that still plucks his eyebrow's..

Porsche - For the real natural understated due thats got no point prove..

throt..

Quote:
    racerx said:
    Luwalira is right.

Not here in Germany I'm afraid (even if Rossi may not agree ). But it may be a money thing, younger people can't afford buying a Ferrari over here. So Ferrari owners usually are a little bit older than the average Porsche owner. But sorry if I have to ask a stupid question: does it really matter what brand has a younger "image"?

Ferrari definitely has an older image. Look at its lineup today, the 430 is the only one that fits a younger driver. The 612 and 599 are too mature and yet didn't perform that much better than the 430. The FXX and Enzo are out of reach for most people.

Yes, I will take a Porsche over a Ferrari anyday. Never actually dream about owning a Ferrari. If I have the extra money to spare, I will get a Lambo before Ferrari.

Edit; I guess my comments only apply to those who are hardcore enthusiasts as that is my experience.

Quote:
    Targa Tim said:
    Yes, I will take a Porsche over a Ferrari anyday. Never actually dream about owning a Ferrari. If I have the extra money to spare, I will get a Lambo before Ferrari.

Funny, same with me. Never had the desire to get a Ferrari (well, the F355 was tempting and the Enzo maybe) but I would get a Murcielago anytime over a Porsche (don't have the money, the right neighborhood, etc. ). I don't know, the Murcielago always fascinated me, so did the Diablo and the Countach in the past. Can't help it...

Quote:
    RC said:
    Funny, same with me. Never had the desire to get a Ferrari (well, the F355 was tempting and the Enzo maybe) but I would get a Murcielago anytime over a Porsche (don't have the money, the right neighborhood, etc. ). I don't know, the Murcielago always fascinated me, so did the Diablo and the Countach in the past. Can't help it...

Weird isn't it, Ferrari's are stunning to look at but same here, i never wanted one to own. For me the top spot will always be a Porsche. (that's probably until Aston Martin comes up with something as good as the Porsche! )

In terms of Ferrari vs. Lambo, I'm a Ferrari guy. I've been very fascinated with Ferraris for some time, but it's the ridiculously high cost of ownership that scares me from considering buying one in the future.

Porsche makes more sense to me. They aren't flashy and hot like Ferraris, but I like that. They're exteremely usable (although I hear Ferraris are getting better at everyday usability) and very fun to drive. I too associate maturity with Porsche.

I would take an Aston Martin and Lambo over a Ferrari (in that order)

Quote:
    ptcja said:
    I understand that sometimes, a brand's image may have something to do with its pricing and higher priced product may seem to project a more sophisticated image.

I had a discussion yesterday with a friend of mine. He said he would always want a Ferrari. However, when I said I begged to differ... he didn't trust me that I would want a 997 TT over a F430 anytime... when he asked why? I said cos Porsche projects a more vibrant, energetic image... i.e., it's young and hip. Alternatively, I said frankly speaking, even if I were have the $$$ today, I would still pick a 997 TT over a F430. He sortta disagree but the image of a brand is a subjective issue.

I am 30 this year and am using my hard earned money to buy my first entry level Porsche. Although it is a 987s (in HK, it costs me my arm, my leg and my head at 115K USD... and my full down payment for my mortgage is so OUT) but I am waiting for its delivery. I hope to enjoy it but I do love the 997 TT which will run me into the 220K range USD and it is a car which I think I would want to drive. I don't think even at 50-60 I would want a Ferrari... it's just not very me. Oh well... Porsche to me is forever young and forever there!

As much as I think it's great to buy a car that you really want and will enjoy I think it is unwise to choose buying a new car over a deposit for a house.
    You should be in a position of not having to sacrifice
    to buy your dream car.
    That's only my opinion though.

I think Porsche and Ferrari have very different brand images depending upon where you live and your income. I love Porsche but there is no way I would turn down a F430 for one. Porsches are extremely common where I live. Everyone seems to have one. That doesn't make it a bad car, just common. I have a new M5 at the moment (please spare me your opinion of the car) and it's amazing. There is nothing like driving a car that isn't on every street corner, although I'm sure it will change as more are made available. Driving the M5 is a wonderful experience because I've found it to be such an unusual and eccentric car. I can't say the same for my old C4S. The most important aspect of a car is how it makes you feel when you drive it. Porsches and Ferrari's each give off their own feeling. It just depends what you want.

Ferrari always give yonger although the drivers always older . plain vanila C2S is about 380K USD while 430 is about 540 K USD in Thailand. Consider you're luckier than Thais.

Quote:
    C4S Co-Driver said:
    I think Porsche and Ferrari have very different brand images depending upon where you live and your income. I love Porsche but there is no way I would turn down a F430 for one. Porsches are extremely common where I live. Everyone seems to have one. That doesn't make it a bad car, just common. I have a new M5 at the moment (please spare me your opinion of the car) and it's amazing. There is nothing like driving a car that isn't on every street corner, although I'm sure it will change as more are made available. Driving the M5 is a wonderful experience because I've found it to be such an unusual and eccentric car. I can't say the same for my old C4S. The most important aspect of a car is how it makes you feel when you drive it. Porsches and Ferrari's each give off their own feeling. It just depends what you want.

To you the car is special, but most people do not see the difference between and M5 and a normal 5 series with big wheels

Same for the porsche... Most people will see the new 997tt and just see a porsche, but it is sure going to make me feeel good when im in that porsche that 997tt. In regaurds to the f430, ferrari really did a nice job with that one and the sound is out of this world!

Quote:
    Zürich said:
    Quote:
    C4S Co-Driver said:

To you the car is special, but most people do not see the difference between and M5 and a normal 5 series with big wheels

But that's how I like it. If you know cars, you know it's more than just a 5 series with bigger rims. It's a whole lot more. But it's not even that the car looks ordinary from a passerby standpoint. I don't care what other people think of my car. Driving the M5 is such an experience and I love the details and quality. The interior is just beautiful (way better quality than my C4S).

The point I'm trying to get at is that I find myself enjoying driving the M5 more than I did with the Porsche because I really feel like I'm getting in something special and unique. It just adds something else to the whole experience. It's hard to explain but the car is just perfect for me. I get excited every time I get inside. I'm not sure how else to put it. I haven't driven a Ferrari but I would imagine it's the same feeling. It's something more bespoke and special. The 911 is wonderful but it feels kind of boring in comparison to a Ferrari.

Quote:
    rhino said:
    Same for the porsche... Most people will see the new 997tt and just see a porsche, but it is sure going to make me feeel good when im in that porsche that 997tt. In regaurds to the f430, ferrari really did a nice job with that one and the sound is out of this world!

Welcome to the board Rhino, I hppe you enjoy rennteam as much as I have

You are right, the majority of people will just see a Porsche and not a TT.
    I honestly think the Regular 997 has much nicer lines than "overweight" looking Turbo.
    Am I the only person who thinks this

No youngsters drive high end Porsches or Ferraris due to insurance and cost of car. In London there seem to be way more Turbos than 360s and 430s due to reliability, dealer network, practicality, etc. I am young and I prefer the 911.

Porsche is a young persons car by default because it is cheaper
    I have nociced a lot of Porsche owners really strecth themselves financially to buy their cars, unwise when at that age you should be investing your money.
    I always go by the thinking that you should never spend more than 5% of your net worth on a depreciating asset.
    A Porsche is a luxury not a necessity.

Thanks for the welcome Vinnie, I also felt the new 997tt looked a bit bulky at first but now I'm truely in love. I cant wait for my 997tt to arrive. I am even thinking of getting on another dealers waiting list since i am like 30th over here where i placed my deposit.

Quote:
    rhino said:
    Thanks for the welcome Vinnie, I also felt the new 997tt looked a bit bulky at first but now I'm truely in love. I cant wait for my 997tt to arrive. I am even thinking of getting on another dealers waiting list since i am like 30th over here where i placed my deposit.

Check with Jeff Post at Continential Motorcars in Melbourne, I'm #1 for a coupe out of 2 or 3 and there were only 2 on the cab list as of month ago....I'm #22 or something in Orlando

Thanks FSU I will give him a try. How long ago did you place your deposit?

FSU thanks again 2 minutes later and Jef was able to get me fith on the list... Rennteam RULES

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763262 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435806 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260747 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257730 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    81008 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872697 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808176 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM