Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Autoweek on new M-Coupe

"I'm not in the market for either car for another 2-3 years. As long as the redesigned MZ4 with a 400hp-V8 comes out and/or the Cayman gets an LSD and a bit more power by then, I'll be happy."

Hmm. Here we have a brand new car that nobody has driven yet and you are going to be happy when they re-design it and give it a different engine.
    Beats me.

I doubt you will see a V8 in a BMW Z....at least not anytime soon. There would probably be space and packaging issues for it, and maybe even weight issues, but who knows....anything CAN be done. But really, a V8 would probably start turning the car into more of a GT than a sports car.....more like an MB SLK55. The present M3 motor is a great choice for the new Z4M......more in character for its mission.

Quote:
    KenH said:
    "Is arrogance or complacency that stops Porsche worrying about such competition?"

I suspect that Porsche worry about the competition all the time but they are clever enough to know that horsepower numbers are not actually what it is all about.
    And BTW the next M-Coupe will not have 400 bhp anyway, it will have the six cylinder engine from the current e46 M3 with about 330 bhp.
    Yesterday I drove my M3 instead of my Cayman and I really don't care that the M3 has an extra 40 bhp and accelerates a little quicker - the Cayman is a far superior car to drive.
    The best BMW M car I ever had (and I have had many) was an e30 M3 with about 195 bhp.

Don't get me wrong here, there is no way I'd have an "M" coupe, or any other BMW, in preference to a Porsche, be it Boxster or Cayman. (Did I say that?) As you quite rightly state, bhp is only part of the equation. However, a lot of potential customers prioritise power and straight line acceleration - no one would buy an MB SLK 55AMG or Corvette otherwise.

"However, a lot of potential customers prioritise power and straight line acceleration - no one would buy an MB SLK 55AMG or Corvette otherwise. "

Don't you think that both of those cars are in somewhat different market segments to most Porsches?
    I have several friends with AMGs and none of them have a clue about cars or driving and probably don't even know how much power or acceleration their cars have. All they want is the flashiest and most expensive Mercedes sports car they can afford. The younger ones go for the SLK and the older for the SL.
    As for Corvette owners I had better not say because I will probably upset someone. I have owned two - but never again.

Quote:
    KenH said:
    "I'm not in the market for either car for another 2-3 years. As long as the redesigned MZ4 with a 400hp-V8 comes out and/or the Cayman gets an LSD and a bit more power by then, I'll be happy."

Hmm. Here we have a brand new car that nobody has driven yet and you are going to be happy when they re-design it and give it a different engine.
    Beats me.

That's absolutely correct. And it's because it has a hideous front end and it is merely tolerable everywhere else. And yes looks matter to me because it would by my daily driver.

The car I think will be fun to watch is Audi's R8 which is the production version of Audi's mid-engined Le Mans quattro concept car. A senior Audi source, according to Motor Trend, says. "We're going head-to-head with the 911 on price, but we have 200 more horspower, quattro drive, and the DSG transmission." The R8 is just one of the new cars Audi will launch over the next 12 months.

What a homely " Darth Vadar helmet head "- looking thing .

Quote:
    KenH said:
    "However, a lot of potential customers prioritise power and straight line acceleration - no one would buy an MB SLK 55AMG or Corvette otherwise. "

Don't you think that both of those cars are in somewhat different market segments to most Porsches?
    I have several friends with AMGs and none of them have a clue about cars or driving and probably don't even know how much power or acceleration their cars have. All they want is the flashiest and most expensive Mercedes sports car they can afford. The younger ones go for the SLK and the older for the SL.
    As for Corvette owners I had better not say because I will probably upset someone. I have owned two - but never again.

You know that and I know that. however a lot of people, more interested in image just "want a sports car". Jewelry for the drive / pub / golf club car park. So I would have thought a sports car with a lot more power and acceleration would appeal more to that market than ride / handling etc. Cars such as the Boxster, Cayman and 911 are seen as "weedy" because of the perceived lack of power. These characters don't participate in forums such as this, and undeniably most here are enthusiasts and know better.

"You know that and I know that. however a lot of people, more interested in image just "want a sports car". Jewelry for the drive / pub / golf club car park. So I would have thought a sports car with a lot more power and acceleration would appeal more to that market than ride / handling etc. "

My next door neighbour has the SL version. He drives it to the golf club house twice a week (not far given that we live on the golf course). The furthest it gets driven is when the valeting company comes to collect it once a week to take it to their premises and then return it cleaned.
    I asked him what he thought of it and he said "it is a bit uncomfortable".
    Most of the time he drives his SUV.

How about this-my business partner from Italy recently bought new Gallardo(520hp,manual,full options) and said to me after two months that he wants to sell it! I ask him why?? His answer:"I become too lazy after driving SUVs for last couple of years! Gallardo is just too demanding for me..." His daily drive is Range Rover Sport V8(S.C.)... At least I was lucky enough to try his Gallardo(what a car!!)...

Quote:
    KenH said:
    In contrast the Cayman is a joy to drive at 30 mph or 50 mph on twisty roads. Every day on the way to the office I go through a set of bends at over 100 mph (I have a ticket for 109 mph to prove it). Typically in the M3 I will be doing 110-115 and in the Cayman 105-110 - but which is more enjoyable?

Is this road near Windsor?

Yes, it is.
    Not the road through the Great Park I must add, which is closed about twice a year due to fatal accidents.

I know all about the Park as I used to commute through there (or past Legoland depending on whim/traffic); that crash last year with the 911 was especially horrific.

You must start early or leave late from the office as the trafic in and around Windsor is appalling.

The 911 crash was not the most recent fatality I am afraid, there have been a few since. Most (but not all) have been in exactly the same area where they have recently installed electronic "Slow Down" signs.
    I live next to the park which is pretty much my back garden and when there is a problem the road is closed and I have difficulty in getting home.
    My life is largely in front of a computer when I am in the UK so I can choose when to travel. Almost never in the rush hours!

Ken,

Fellow Cayman owner based in Windsor near the area you mention.

I'm not local, having recently moved to the UK, and am looking for good roads in the area to test my new toy.

Any suggestions? ... you can also PM me on CaymanBlub if you wish.

Kind regards

Colm (seal grey)

CcaymanClub :-)

"I'm not local, having recently moved to the UK, and am looking for good roads in the area to test my new toy"

The best roads in mainland UK for driving are .... in Wales.
    Or North Yorkshire, or Scotland.
    Those are the places that magazine reviewers go to.

Closer to home, there are some great roads in the Cotswolds but in the SE, you're probably better off on a track. Local to Windsor, the old MoD test track between Virginia Water and Chobham is fast and challenging. Its a good idea to go with an instructor as your insurance often covers this.

February 2006 CAR magazine compared the Cayman S with the BMW M3 CS, Mercedes SLK55 AMG, and Nissan 350Z. CAR gave the nod to the Cayman S saying:

"If this disparate collection of giant test rivals proves anything, it's that the Cayman has no real direct competition. No mainstream manufacturer builds anything that meets the Cayman head-on."

We will have to wait and see what is said about the new M-Coupe.

Quote:
    HHG said:
    February 2006 CAR magazine compared the Cayman S with the BMW M3 CS, Mercedes SLK55 AMG, and Nissan 350Z. CAR gave the nod to the Cayman S saying:

"If this disparate collection of giant test rivals proves anything, it's that the Cayman has no real direct competition. No mainstream manufacturer builds anything that meets the Cayman head-on."

Yeah, the only mainstream manufacturer that did was the Honda/Acura NSX. It is VERY similar in concept and performance, but cost more and is no longer built...

a good looking car that will push Porsche to improve upon their Caymen platform, agree with turbokou that all platforms need a bump in hp but it must be balenced with the chassis and drive train. hp alone is only one measure of a car

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    HHG said:

Yeah, the only mainstream manufacturer that did was the Honda/Acura NSX. It is VERY similar in concept and performance, but cost more and is no longer built...

With the demise of the Acura NSX, Lotus and Porsche make the only mid-engine cars costing less than $100,000.

Quote:
    HHG said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    HHG said:

With the demise of the Acura NSX, Lotus and Porsche make the only mid-engine cars costing less than $100,000.

Actually, the Toyota MR2 was the bargain in the mid-engine sportscar segment, but those are out of production too just recently...

Well, it seems that CAR has given us a preview of the Cayman S vs M-coupe match up with their 3/06 comparison of the Boxster S and the M-roadster.

"History won't record the M Roadster as M's finest hour but it's still a very fine car; the Boxster S is an even better one..."

And that's with a less free revving engine that has a power deficit against the Cayman 3.4. Looking grim for the M-coupe.

Quote:
    MikeN said:
    I doubt you will see a V8 in a BMW Z....at least not anytime soon. There would probably be space and packaging issues for it, and maybe even weight issues, but who knows....anything CAN be done. But really, a V8 would probably start turning the car into more of a GT than a sports car.....more like an MB SLK55. The present M3 motor is a great choice for the new Z4M......more in character for its mission.

The Z8 had one

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688601 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408718 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255524 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234792 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65396 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857586 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773395 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM