Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Saw the AMV8 Today

I've steered clear of this thread, as its premise seemed utterly boring and pointless. It's nice to see that my instincts served me well....

Both nice cars...

I find it absolutely hilarious that the 997 is being condemned as common and sure-to-depreciate due to its high production numbers... Talk about MISSING THE POINT ENTIRELY... The whole reason Aston is producing this new car is in a desperate attempt to catch even a corner of the WAVE of enthusiasm and sales that Porsche rides on top of. Porsche's high production figures are not a result of over-supply, they are a result of incredible demand for an incredible product. $90K cars just don't get crammed onto lots like Chevy Impalas, and then sold to taxi and rental companies just to get rid of excess production capacity. It takes one hell of a memorable product to sell as many $70K-$100K 911's as Porsche does.

And as was said earlier, your exclusivity, and rarity, and long waiting lists today makes resale look great. Ten years from now, that same exclusivity, and rarity, once all the takers have taken and used and a new model is on the horizon, will whip around and bitch-slap you in the face, and then the wallet.

Sound design, performance, reliability, and enduring styling... That's what dictates resale value LONG term.

If the internet had existed 20 years ago, we could dig back in the archives and find where some misguided enthusiast was touting the long-term value of the Lagonda versus Bentley LOL!!!!!

I love the styling of the new AMV8. But too slow for that much dough, for me at least..., I don't care if it goes around corners like Mr. Toad's wild ride...

Well I beg to differ mr LB.....

Having had an 911 it is time for a change. I prefer the V8s more compact dimensions compared to the db9. It is ideal ofr the slippery uk roads that I frequent. As for costs - used db9s are very close in price to new amv8s - choosing between them is a decision based on their differing characters rather than on price.

I really don't understand your "teenage girl" analogy, or do you live in a part of the world where AMs are used as learner cars?

Quote:
    LB said:
    I went over today to my dealer to place an order on the upcoming GTC and to see other prospects that were available in the near future. I asked about the Rapide but I was told to ask again in one month because no allotments or even production notices have been made.

When I visit the premises I like to look around to check what cars they might have on stock (official dealer: Aston, Bentley, Ferrari, Maserati, and Bugatti soon) they always have very impressive cars lying aroud.

In the Aston section, they had recieved a blue AMV8 and it was positoned between 2 DB9's . This was the first time I had see the AMV8 upclose and all I can say is that its a complete joke. Its basically a shorter stubbier version of the DB9 and I wish not to offend anybody on the board but this car is just an utter disappointment (solely suited for a teenage girl). I realise that the 997 is positioned against this car (and no I am not a 911 owner nor ever have been) but IMO the 997 is a much more attractive automobile. One more time I would like reiterate how awful I thought the AMV8 looked like and I am not be able to comprehend how someone may pick it over a nicely equipped 997 . And yes I realise to most its not a money issue, but I am nearly completely sure that most of the buyers of the AMV8 are the ones who would like to purchase an Aston but do not have the required funds for a DB9. Please once again I wish not to offend any AMV8 owners but IM0 it was a mistake.

Regarding the GTC, I ll try to scan any official documents I might get in the near future to keep fellow Rennteamers updated

oh dear where to start.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so they say..
    The V8 is a fantastic looking car both inside and out, you are in a minority I would think to think otherwise.

Good for you having a different opinion.

Im a 996tt owner as well, and have a 997tt on order, (promised delivery this year) so I have no axe to grind against Porsche or Aston. But to say the thing is ugly suggests that before you drive home an eyetest may be a good idea :-)

It just goes to show we are all different!

I had an AMV8 on order (since cancelled) and I went to the factory to see them being made. I also managed to get to see Vanquish's being made back at Newport Pagnell as well.

The AMV8 is terrific in the flesh - it's lean and taut as a design with no flabby overhangs and no excess. There happened to be an AMV8 next to a DB9, next to a Vanquish S and the differences were very clear.

The Vanquish S looks like it works out for at least 2 hours everyday and is very muscular in design. The equivalent of wearing tight teeshirt over a well buffed body.

The DB9 in comparison looks beautiful, but lacks "muscle" and has weak overhangs that make the car look "flabby" and excessive.

I guess if you like touring and want a GT you order a DB9. It's not that quick to drive either. Last summer I drove around one repeatedly on the track, and god knows how many hp I was giving away, but it could not go around corners.

So if I were looking for a sports car that's more exclusive I would buy an AMV8 or the Vanquish S which is a real animal, and leave the GT drivers to happily cruise along with the DB9.

I had left it alone, but I'll also chime in that LB's opinion, while he's certainly welcome to his opinion, is most definitely a razor-thin minority.

There's similarly some people out there who think all 911's are disgusting looking, and call them over-priced Beetles.

You just can't account for taste, or open-mindedness.

I still think the DB9 is the loveliest. Yes, it's a bit more sprawling than the tauter Vantage, but it has a grace to it's flow down the sides and the roofline that I find to be pure fine art. Since I'd rather have my 997S for true "sports car" intentions, if I were to buy an Aston, I'd try to keep my 997S for hardcore fun, and go with the DB9 as nothing more than a sweet indulgence.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I had left it alone, but I'll also chime in that LB's opinion, while he's certainly welcome to his opinion, is most definitely a razor-thin minority.

There's similarly some people out there who think all 911's are disgusting looking, and call them over-priced Beetles.

You just can't account for taste, or open-mindedness.

I still think the DB9 is the loveliest. Yes, it's a bit more sprawling than the tauter Vantage, but it has a grace to it's flow down the sides and the roofline that I find to be pure fine art. Since I'd rather have my 997S for true "sports car" intentions, if I were to buy an Aston, I'd try to keep my 997S for hardcore fun, and go with the DB9 as nothing more than a sweet indulgence.

I agree. I think each of the Aston Martins in their current line-up is beautiful, I'm not going to go as far and call them ugly or something that's designed for a "teenage girl." I appreciate automotive design, and I think Aston Martin is as gorgeous as they come (I would take them over Ferraris) but it's definitely a different beast from a 911. I wouldn't buy an Aston and drive it around the weekends for fun, I think that duty will always be relegated to my Porsche cars. However, I would use the Aston on a special occasion basis only. It would be my exclusive car that is brought out only for "exclusive" events.

For the price of a Vantage, I'll probably pick up a 997C2S Cab instead, with the PowerKit

I would just like to clarfiy my position. Unlike the Cayman and the 911 where there are prominent differences in automotive styling and engine configuration, the AMV8 is basically a cheaper version of the DB9 allowing a wider spectrum of people to purchase into the Aston brand. If money were not an issue, most people would opt for the DB9 over the AMV8

As for the teenage girl comment, I believe that some cars are aesthetically more suited for the latter demographic . Cars such as the bettle convertible, z4, slk, and on the higher end of the scale the vantage all suit much better a younger teenage girl than a 6ft broker wearing a suit.

The car is like a cute blonde. In Spain she could be considered attractive, but in Sweden she would be below average. Meaning the car is nice but it is the ugliest car in the Aston lineup.

Hence having said that, I do not know why people would choose to get the AMV8 over the 911.

Quote:
    LB said:
    I would just like to clarfiy my position. Unlike the Cayman and the 911 where there are prominent differences in automotive styling and engine configuration, the AMV8 is basically a cheaper version of the DB9 allowing a wider spectrum of people to purchase into the Aston brand. If money were not an issue, most people would opt for the DB9 over the AMV8

As for the teenage girl comment, I believe that some cars are aesthetically more suited for the latter demographic . Cars such as the bettle convertible, z4, slk, and on the higher end of the scale the vantage all suit much better a younger teenage girl than a 6ft broker wearing a suit.

The car is like a cute blonde. In Spain she could be considered attractive, but in Sweden she would be below average. Meaning the car is nice but it is the ugliest car in the Aston lineup.

Hence having said that, I do not know why people would choose to get the AMV8 over the 911.

Why is it then that 2 of the people I know that have bought V8's have swapped there from DB9's? I come from a Porca/Fezza background. The others I have communicated with on other forums are from a similar place.
    I dont know what your issue is, but its akin to saying you bought a 997 because you cant afford a CGT.

The DB9 is too big and heavy for my tastes, on some of the weekend drives my circle of friends attends the 9 struggle dynamically with the route. The V8 will cope fine.

Many reviewers have commented that the V8 is probably the most beautiful sports car currently being manufactured. I tend to agree with them although tastes of course vary ( and sometimes there is no accounting for taste).

I think LBs stance is a little strong. I am in a position where I can afford the DB9 but really never gave purchasing one any thought. I prefer the V8 styling and the fact that it is a more sport oriented vehicle than the DB9 (without rear seats I don't need / want), etc.

I know that many in the general population won't be able to tell the difference between a DB9 and a V8 (or a Cayman and a 911 for that matter), but car enthusuasts such as those on sites like this should.

Resale value has been discussed. I don't expect the 911 or the V8 to depreciate any more or less than all other vehicles produced today. Ferrari V8s seem to be the only aberration in the modern car production world as far as maintaining value exceedingly well.

Now that I have read the article in question, the V8 "victory" was by a huge one point margin. The author himself goes out of his way on several occasions to say that one can't go wrong with either choice. A different author or the same author on a different day could easily have written the same article and reversed the result. There is no clear winner here. Only an indivudual who knows his / her individual priorities knows which car is best suited to them.

John

Quote:
    rich1231 said:
    I come from a Porca/Fezza background.

Whaa? Can somebody translate this? ...was rich1231 raised by a family of sperm whales?

Damian,

I am not sure if you are serious or not but this can be translated from British into American as: "I come from a Porsche / Ferrari background."

John

Quote:
    Damian said:
    Quote:
    rich1231 said:
    I come from a Porca/Fezza background.

Whaa? Can somebody translate this? ...was rich1231 raised by a family of sperm whales?

lol, you know what I meant.

I have had another discussion on another forum today on the same sort of subject. Why is it not possible for some to accept that others sometimes choose a car/tv whatever different to what you yourself would choose? Then when they do they seem to prop up their purchase by attacking the competition. Its daft. The V8 is a great car. The 997 is a great car. Lets just be happy that we have a choice.

Translation understood, I am ignoramus Americanus.
    997 & AMV8 I'll take one of each.
    Will the V8's be clogging the streets around
    City of London financial district in a year or two?

Gents, AM and 997 are both hot cars but they are really different. While I have been a Porsche guy all my life I respect the AM cars. It's perfectly normal for us to be partial towards what we have in our garages. The one point no one can argue is that Porsche is more reliable than the AM, as German cars have always been more reliable than the British and the Japanese cars have been the most reliable of all of them. Does that mean I would buy a Honda over a Porsche, NO of course not. AM drives beautifully while to me it is not as sporty as the 997 but it does sound better than the 997. I would like to have them both but if I had to choose PORSCHE would be the winner. I don't know some of the postings get hostile and people act a bit childish here and there. So what Mr. X thinks this or Mr. Y says that. Drive what gives you pleasure there are many fine cars out there just like there many fine homes out there and just like there are many fine women out there but we can not possibly all make the same choice, feel and think the same as life would be so boring. We are all on this forum for one reason, WE ARE ALL CAR NUTS and we live to drive. So we can share opinions without throwing rocks at each other, right??? PEACE GENTLEMEN

edz61,

Yes! Couldn't agree more.

Well said edz. Great cars come in many different flavours, it is a privelege to be able to sample some of the best. Some of my most memorable driving moments were around the Cumbrian hills in a 996.....

Quote:
    rich1231 said:
    Quote:
    LB said:

Why is it then that 2 of the people I know that have bought V8's have swapped there from DB9's? I come from a Porca/Fezza background. The others I have communicated with on other forums are from a similar place.
    I dont know what your issue is, but its akin to saying you bought a 997 because you cant afford a CGT.

The DB9 is too big and heavy for my tastes, on some of the weekend drives my circle of friends attends the 9 struggle dynamically with the route. The V8 will cope fine.

Totally agree, each to their own, I had a DB9 and soon realised that the AMV8 will suit me better, which I get in April. These are two totally different cars and to say "If money were not an issue, most people would opt for the DB9 over the AMV8" is an unknowledgable, unqualified and incorrect guess. All IMHO of course.

[Totally agree, each to their own, I had a DB9 and soon realised that the AMV8 will suit me better, which I get in April. These are two totally different cars and to say "If money were not an issue, most people would opt for the DB9 over the AMV8" is an unknowledgable, unqualified and incorrect guess. All IMHO of course.

Totally agree. The only Aston I would consider is the AMV8 because it is a more focused sportscar. It has nothing to do with the cost for the majority of buyers. As a matter of fact, I have placed a deposit for delivery in 1 year.

Quote:
    Persuader said:
    y "If money were not an issue, most people would opt for the DB9 over the AMV8" is an unknowledgable, unqualified and incorrect guess. All IMHO of course.

Yes Yes everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I do understand for present owners to justify their purchase. However I do not believe that my statement was unqualified nor unknowledgable and it certainly was not a guess.

Regards

Read the Car and Driver article today, although they say it it is close, they really do prefer the AMV8. The AMV8 was actually penalized by 5 points (out of 20) when compared to the 911S because of its cost, but it still won by one point.The 911 owners need to worry I think because the Aston V8, right out of the box in its first year of production, is giving it a serious run for the money. With a little tweaking in the next few years, the Aston will be even better.

You are forgeting one thing: the 911 competes againts the AMV8 but the AMV8 does not compete agaisnt the 911.

I.e, the AMV8 may be a competitor to a 997C4S with PASM for example, but it cannot compete with a 997S-20mm, or a 997GT3 or a 977Cab or a 997TT, etc, etc... so not likely to give the 911 a run for its money at all, it will compete somewhat agaisnt the most GT'ish of the 911 models, but thats about it, and even then the 911 would still be the 911, the AMV8 is a new kid on the block that has a lot to prove in terms of reliability, delaer infrestructur/service, image, etc... the 911 has seen many come and go over its 40+ years of reign.

Quote:
    birdness said:
    Read the Car and Driver article today, although they say it it is close, they really do prefer the AMV8. The AMV8 was actually penalized by 5 points (out of 20) when compared to the 911S because of its cost, but it still won by one point.The 911 owners need to worry I think because the Aston V8, right out of the box in its first year of production, is giving it a serious run for the money. With a little tweaking in the next few years, the Aston will be even better.

I have been a 911 owner for over 10 years. Always have a 911 in the garage, and have never for one day been "worried"; in particular, not for this AMV8. Will not even bother wasting my time to take it out for a test drive. Will upgrade to a 911 Turbo before I even consider any Aston Martin products. I know I speak for most Porsche owners that I know.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690362 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409670 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255924 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235171 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65637 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4654 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858338 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774591 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM