Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

IS THE NEW 997 & 997S A RELIABLE CAR?

I was wondering if the new 997 and 997s are reliable car.What are actually its common damages they had? How easy or cheap is the repair?
    Please post your opinion or even your personal experience

Re: IS THE NEW 997 & 997S A RELIABLE CAR?

15,000 Trouble free miles

anecdotally, sure...

statistically, not the most reliable...my impression is that the computer modules fail prematurely.

I think reliable is Toyota and Honda.

List of *Excellent* cars that are less reliable than Honda or Toyota:

Porsche
    BMW
    Ferrari
    Audi
    Aston Martin

Oh, one thing that makes it unreliable in my book: lack of a spare/jack/lugwrench. Without the latter two, you can't even install a DIY plug and have to rely on goo-in-a-can.

I would say it is the most reliable "sport car" you can get. Do expert "Repair" and "Maintance" will not be cheap. But you are driving a Porsche

8,000 largely trouble free miles. Only problems have been a dodgy microswitch in my gear selector, and a one off electronics problem with the PASM. Both were sorted under warranty. Neither have affected my enjoyment of the car, and if I had to drive across Europe tomorrow I'd have total confidence in the vehicle.

Gaz

My ashtray broke when I put my elbow on it too heavily, when leaning across to pay for a toll fare in Europe. Otherwise perfect (4k miles). Watch the oil, though!

SoS.

5500 perfect, trouble-free miles on my '05 997 cab.

Patriot

7000 miles so far. At 5200, had the RMS problem. And the plastic housing supporting the rear-view mirror came apart. Other than that, no problems.

Bringing the car in on Tuesday due to check engine light on after only 1500 miles. Probably a sensor.

16,000 grin producing, jaw dropping, and trouble free miles!

Cd failed on delivery (fixed under warranty) since then nothing apart from the odd rattle from the dashboard.Great car and better than I expected. 6000 miles since September and looking forward to lots more. A lot less issues than my 996.

I would hope the 997 is reliable as any car out there. If not I need to get rid of my 997 and buy something else. I would hope that with me spending over 90K on a car, it would come with a high level of reliability.

Quote:
    MMD said:

I use to think the same thing until I owned a Honda and Lexus. I had major problems with both. Heck my brand new Lexus had to be returned for oil leaks. Lexus had to replace the seals. My take is cars are made by man so everything can and most likely will have issues.

Quote:
    bstew said:
    I would hope the 997 is reliable as any car out there. If not I need to get rid of my 997 and buy something else. I would hope that with me spending over 90K on a car, it would come with a high level of reliability.

I think the 997 is quite reliable. However, your reasoning is very suspect. In general, reliability and price are inversely proportional (consider a Toyota vs. Bentley or Mazda MX5 Miata vs. Ferrari - which do you think is historically more reliable?)

Quote:
    bstew said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

I use to think the same thing until I owned a Honda and Lexus. I had major problems with both. Heck my brand new Lexus had to be returned for oil leaks. Lexus had to replace the seals. My take is cars are made by man so everything can and most likely will have issues.

Aw sheet, sorry to hear that. What I really think: next time I'm in the market for a Japanese car? I'm going to make sure it is made in japan by Japanese workers. I refused to by a BMW X5 because they're made in the opposite of Germany

'06 S Cab, 5,000 miles-Except for the multiple squeaks, the leaking convertible roof, the exceptionally slow clock, the grinding gears, all of which have not been fixed yet, it's perfect! At least the dealer was able to fix the clutch noises. My current Chevy Tahoe and four previous BMW's all were in for repair far fewer days than this disappointment. And I've only had this for 5 months. Never again.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    bstew said:

I think the 997 is quite reliable. However, your reasoning is very suspect. In general, reliability and price are inversely proportional (consider a Toyota vs. Bentley or Mazda MX5 Miata vs. Ferrari - which do you think is historically more reliable?)

So then a Chevy Corvette must be more reliable than a Porsche 911? I think not.

I made no claim as to the reliability of a Corvette. I have, however, had many cars in my life and this, by far, is the least reliable and the biggest disappointment. Don't be so defensive; I'm just answering the original question on the post with my personal experiences. My experiences are best not extrapolated to cars I didn't mention.

In my experience, the 997S is as reliable as the best cars on the market. The car has gone 14,000Km with only one minor problem (deffective airbag module). Oil consumption was about .5 liters. There have been no rattles and everything works as advertised. The fit and finish of the car was and is perfect.

Mantentance has been minimal, an oil change that cost $200. that was only needed because of the winter storage. Dealer service has been professional and excellent.

All in all a very satisfying experience.

As a comparison, I purchased an Infiniti at the same time as the Porsche. The car has been perfect. Zero defects, but the regular maintenance and service costs have been many times the cost of maintaining the Porsche. Oil changes are very frequent and regular maintenance is expensive and, in my opinion, unnecessary. In fact, the maintenance cost for the infiniti with zero problems has been almost 5X the cost of the porsche. Both are great cars, but the Porsche is a much better ownership experience.

Quote:
    JMShrink said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    bstew said:

I suspect that when Grant wrote "In general ......" he was not thinking of General Motors!

Maybe you gotta consider what gets Porsche the low reliability ratings in those consumer surveys.

It's gonna be that RMS leakage/repair, right? (estimates run up to 25% leak there)

Therefore it you don't get an RMS leak your car is verrry reliable, right?

Another thing, can somebody tell me if other mfgrs do an equivalent to Porsche's grueling 6000 mile arctic to equator new model test drive? You gotta say any mfgr who does that with their cars learns a few things about reliability (rms notwithstanding, of course).

6300 miles without issue!

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    JMShrink said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    bstew said:

I suspect that when Grant wrote "In general ......" he was not thinking of General Motors!

Fritz - correct as usual, but actually the Corvette has an excellent record on reliability. In fact they'll even fix stuff under warranty, even if the problem occurs on a race track...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    bstew said:

I beg to differ. I don't care which car is historically more reliable. What I care about is which car I own that is more reliable. Given that I have owned "Cheaper" cars that where not that reliable means I expect my Porsche to be more reliable. You may not but I do.

2006 Carrera 4s, 3,000 miles no problems. Lots of looks and continually wondering how fast I'll be going when I get my ist ticket?

Quote:
    jrlcarrera1 said:
    2006 Carrera 4s, 3,000 miles no problems. Lots of looks and continually wondering how fast I'll be going when I get my ist ticket?

Hopefully you will be going 74 in a 65. That way it will not kill your insurance

Quote:
    bstew said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    bstew said:

I beg to differ. I don't care which car is historically more reliable. What I care about is which car I own that is more reliable. Given that I have owned "Cheaper" cars that where not that reliable means I expect my Porsche to be more reliable. You may not but I do.

It's an economic fact of life that a car produced in large numbers generates enough revenue to enable the manufacturer to invest the resources necessary to develop and make it to high quality standards. The "mass market" will buy it purely because of its reliability, even if a car nut would not consider it to be an exciting product. The Toyota brand-name comes to mind. Mass-market cars are generally at the lower-priced end of the market, for obvious reasons.

Real enthusiasts' cars are generally made in such small numbers as to restrict the amount which can be spent on R & D. Think of Lotus, Noble, TVR and - to a lesser extent - Ferrari. In terms of dollars/kilogram, these cars are much higher priced than mass-market models, in spite of not being able to offer the same "quality".

This will surely have been what Grant had in mind when he wrote that "reliability and price are inversely proportional".

Porsche is now in the fortunate position to be able to make and sell enough "enthusiasts'" cars to also be able to develop them thoroughly before letting them loose on the public. So your expectations will probably be fulfilled. But that does not mean that the "general rule" as expressed by Grant is invalid.

No one said Grant's comment was invalid. All I am saying is I expect my Porsche to be more reliable then my Lexus that had oil leaks. I expect my Porsche to be more reliable then my sister's Honda that had to have engine work under warranty. I expect my Porsche to be more reliable then ever other car I have owned to date. Sorry but when I pay this kind of money I expect perfection. I'm sure I will not get it but I expect it. Now some people don't and that is fine. All I am saying is I do.

Quote:
    bstew said:
    I expect my Porsche to be more reliable then my sister's Honda

Fair enough. BUT part of the fun of owning a Porsche is having problems that make watercooler conversation interesting.

Yeah I don't want a blown head gasket two days after the warrenty runs out, but we all know that the RMS is a Russian Roulette game (fact of life - can't be changed) we play when we buy a new one. I accepted that.

I got a feeling that, disregarding the RMS leaks, the car would be deemed very reliable in consumer surveys.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM