Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Future Cayman models

Guys does anyone have any information on any future Cayman models?
    I know there is a good chance we will be getting a cheaper version very soon but what about a higher power or more sporty version??? Weve had many debates about an RS version etc etc but what are the chances???

Not seen anything about this for some time now...RC do you have any insider information for us???

Hopefully Porsche will remove the base 997 allowing a more powerful Cayman to step up... Anther 30bhp, lsd -20mm susp and a bit of a diet would make a great car!

Re: Future Cayman models

for sure the smaller boxster engine or something close will make a "cayman" vs cayman S....thats all i can think of, but knowing porsche, they may badge a boxster as a "cayman roadster" to sell more:):)

Quote:
    RichJ said:
    I know there is a good chance we will be getting a cheaper version very soon but what about a higher power or more sporty version??? Weve had many debates about an RS version etc etc but what are the chances???

Not seen anything about this for some time now...RC do you have any insider information for us???

Hopefully Porsche will remove the base 997 allowing a more powerful Cayman to step up... Anther 30bhp, lsd -20mm susp and a bit of a diet would make a great car!

My "dream" is a Cayman RS with MkII GT3 motor and LSD gearbox (with lower ratios), adjustable height coilovers, adjustable swaybars, Carrera GT seats, 6-piston brakes and weighing 2,700 lbs and costing $80k. Call it the GT4. OK, I'm waking up now

There will be Cayman(non S) somewhere in summer 2006... Probably 2.7l-engine from Boxster. And little bit of my opinion... I tried Cayman S and IMO it is not any better then my Boxster(987) S. Handling(both cars have PASM and 19") is more or less same and engine on Cayman S is more eager to rev(also with little bit more grunt in low revs), brakes are the same... I still think Cayman S is a great car but, worthy more money then Boxster S? That's for you to decide... And, IMO Porsche will NEVER build something like Cayman RS or Turbo(God forbid !!)

Late summer, the Cayman 2.7 could be available, 240-250 HP are rumored. A more powerful Cayman version is in development but it may take another year or two until Porsche considers to put it on the market...or not.

To avoid any "conflicts" with the 911, Porsche may consider to offer a more sporty Cayman S version first (without a power upgrade) and go for a more powerful version after the 997 facelift will be introduced. But right now, the "standard" Cayman is the only new Cayman variant which is almost 99% sure.

Nonnemaker (or however you spell the place, anyways the shop that prepares and races all the GT3 cup cars out of New Jersey) have built a Cayman with an X51 3.8 from a 997S.

That would be just about perfect in my mind. an approx 390bhp Cayman...

Quote:
    Mithras said:
    Nonnemaker (or however you spell the place, anyways the shop that prepares and races all the GT3 cup cars out of New Jersey) have built a Cayman with an X51 3.8 from a 997S.

That would be just about perfect in my mind. an approx 390bhp Cayman...

Now all they need to do is turn engine/transmission around end-for-end in the body to make room for two small rear seats ............

Quote:
    Branimir said:
    There will be Cayman(non S) somewhere in summer 2006... Probably 2.7l-engine from Boxster. And little bit of my opinion... I tried Cayman S and IMO it is not any better then my Boxster(987) S. Handling(both cars have PASM and 19") is more or less same and engine on Cayman S is more eager to rev(also with little bit more grunt in low revs), brakes are the same... I still think Cayman S is a great car but, worthy more money then Boxster S? That's for you to decide... And, IMO Porsche will NEVER build something like Cayman RS or Turbo(God forbid !!)

Is it possible just once to have a thread without some disgruntled 997 or Boxster owner trying to justify his purchase and spouting the same old rubbish about the Cayman when it's totally unrelated to the topic the original poster started?

This topic is about different Cayman models, not weather you think the Cayman is worth extra money over another car, a subject you seem to want to repeat as much as possible regardless of the original topic.

Me thinks one does protest to much

Well... I like and respect Cayman S a lot! But, I will never own one-I ordered 997S.
    If you think that Cayman S is "a Holy Cow" for worshiping-it is your opinion then!

"Is it possible just once to have a thread without some disgruntled 997 or Boxster owner trying to justify his purchase and spouting the same old rubbish about the Cayman when it's totally unrelated to the topic the original poster started?"

I have to chuckle about the conservatism of the 997 owners (perhaps unsurprising with a 40 year old architecture that nobody else has stuck with) - and at times the Boxster owners too - they all seem afraid that the Cayman could somehow be "better" (whatever that might mean) than the cars they own.
    As I see it (and of course I could be wrong) the Cayman is the beginning of the future. I really do think that the next 911 will be mid-engined and that the rear-engined 911, as much as we love it, (and I have a 997 myself) is due to become history in the next 3/4/5 years. I suspect that the 997 will linger on for a year or two after its successor is launched (just like the 356 did) but by 2009 or so the "engine hanging out behind the rear axle" concept will be gone, for ever. Amen.
    And, as development cycles evolve the next Boxster will indeed become a Cayman convertible instead of caman being a Boxster Coupe.
    We have seen the future - and it is configured just like a Cayman.
    I also anticipate that the mid-engined 998 when launched in 2008 will have a difficult time at first with the same kind of "traditional" debate as we are seeing today with the Cayman.
    But, whereas the 911 is an unparalleled triumph of development over conservative design, ultimately the new will replace the old.
    Enjoy!

Silly thing to speculate, how do you know the 911 will be mid engine, i highly doubt the 998 will be mid/more likely rear!

Quote:
    996cal said:
    Silly thing to speculate, how do you know the 911 will be mid engine, i highly doubt the 998 will be mid/more likely rear!

Some rumors have actually suggested that the 998 will be built in two configurations: mid-engined 2 seater and rear engined 2+2...

Quote:
    KenH said:
    "Is it possible just once to have a thread without some disgruntled 997 or Boxster owner trying to justify his purchase and spouting the same old rubbish about the Cayman when it's totally unrelated to the topic the original poster started?"

I have to chuckle about the conservatism of the 997 owners (perhaps unsurprising with a 40 year old architecture that nobody else has stuck with) - and at times the Boxster owners too - they all seem afraid that the Cayman could somehow be "better" (whatever that might mean) than the cars they own.
    As I see it (and of course I could be wrong) the Cayman is the beginning of the future. I really do think that the next 911 will be mid-engined and that the rear-engined 911, as much as we love it, (and I have a 997 myself) is due to become history in the next 3/4/5 years. I suspect that the 997 will linger on for a year or two after its successor is launched (just like the 356 did) but by 2009 or so the "engine hanging out behind the rear axle" concept will be gone, for ever. Amen.
    And, as development cycles evolve the next Boxster will indeed become a Cayman convertible instead of caman being a Boxster Coupe.
    I also anticipate that the mid-engined 998 when launched in 2008 will have a difficult time at first with the same kind of "traditional" debate as we are seeing today with the Cayman.
    But, whereas the 911 is an unparalleled triumph of development over conservative design, ultimately the new will replace the old.
    Enjoy!

Nah,

I bet the 911Coupe and Cab will stay rear-engined and the Cayman and Cayman will stay mid-engined. As for the engines' displacement, power and torque, and aspiration (natural versus forced induction), that's where the debate will logically rage.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    996cal said:

Some rumors have actually suggested that the 998 will be built in two configurations: mid-engined 2 seater and rear engined 2+2...

That would be great. It's what I've been saying they should do all along, mid engine shouldn't replace the rear engine, they need both models for different customers.

"Silly thing to speculate, how do you know the 911 will be mid engine, i highly doubt the 998 will be mid/more likely rear! "

I thought I would do what most people do on this forum and speculate!
    But we shall see - when the 998 is announced in 2008 remember my forecast!

I don't think we know if the next 911 is going to be designated a 998.

tino

"I don't think we know if the next 911 is going to be designated a 998"

Of course that is true. It is only shorthand for "997 replacement".

Quote:
    KenH said:

I will be surprise to see 998 in 2008/MY09, let alone a mid-engine.

Quote:
    KenH said:

Enjoy!

Dear Ken,

I predict that most of what you have said is wrong.

A 911 owner will never be afraid of a Cayman as we don't want to buy it in the first place. Even if there is a possibility that the Cayman may eventually be faster than a 911, then be it. Nothing to worry about. Look at the F430, it is faster and handle better than 612 and 575, yet there are still people buying the other two.

The Cayman is based on a Boxster from DAY ONE, not vice versa. You cannot change history. The next Boxster will just be a evolution or revolution from the current Boxster, nothing to do with the Cayman.

A 911 has always been rear engined for the last 40 years and it is one of its selling point. It was supposed to be replaced by the 928 but it didn't happen. I don't see how the Cayman can have any chance.

Less than a year from now, people will start to realise how much more money they are paying for is just a Boxster coupe with a little bit more horsepower and cosmetic changes. I predict that the Cayman's sale will be the least out of the entire Porsche lineup, worse than 911, Boxster or Cayenne.

Quote:
    KenH said:
    I thought I would do what most people do on this forum and speculate!

Well, some people speculate, some know something but not the whole picture and some have all the information but have to keep their mouth shut. You shouldn't underestimate this site.

Now read my lips (just picture it in your mind ): no middle engine for the next 911 generation. Period.
    And read my lips again: no next 911 generation before 2010. Period.

And now I leave it to you to consider my "words" to be a speculation, gossip, a rumor or a fact.

Quote:
    RC said:Now read my lips (just picture it in your mind ): no middle engine for the next 911 generation. Period.
    And read my lips again: no next 911 generation before 2010. Period.

RC - What types of changes do you anticipate for the next generation 911? Even a wild guess would be interesting - thanks!

Anyone care to speculate about a non S Cayman price compared to non S Boxster?
    With the rumored 240/250HP (same a a regular Boxster)?

It should be $5K lower than the Boxster IMHO, so high $30s in the US.

Actually I think it will keep the same price spread as the Cayman S:Boxster S, so expect about $4-5K above regular 987 prices.

mcdelaug

Quote:
    toplad said:

Is it possible just once to have a thread without some disgruntled 997 or Boxster owner trying to justify his purchase and spouting the same old rubbish about the Cayman when it's totally unrelated to the topic the original poster started?

I suppose it's to much to ask,

Quote:
    KenH said:

Enjoy!

Looks like KenH may have been right about the Boxster becoming a Cayman convertible: The addition of the 3.4L engine as speculated on the Boxster Board.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    RichJ said:

My "dream" is a Cayman RS with MkII GT3 motor and LSD gearbox (with lower ratios), adjustable height coilovers, adjustable swaybars, Carrera GT seats, 6-piston brakes and weighing 2,700 lbs and costing $80k. Call it the GT4. OK, I'm waking up now

That would be amazing... but yes, dreaming

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759956 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433976 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259817 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256965 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80636 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5309 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870854 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805951 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM