Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: AUTOCAR SLR REVIEW.....not good.

The author of Autocar seems to share my view.

Mercedes-Benz SLR Mclaren

612 PS ( recertified with 626 PS )
    780 Nm

Compression ratio: 8.8

5.5 Liters

Boot volume 275 Liters,( compartment inside car 40 Liters )

Performance.

0-100: 3.8s
    0-200: 10.1s
    0-300: 31.1s

Top speed: 330-340km/h

Cd value: 0.38

Weight of car: 1768kg*

1.* (Weight according to EC reg.
    90% fuel,7kg equipment and driver 68kg)

Drivers report:
    Two SLR,one black and one silver both completely unmasked.

First the Handling Pad: We started of by driving the SL500,SL55
    and then on to the SLR for comparisons sake.
    The difference between the SL500 and the SL55 to the SLR is like comparing a GT3 to an S500 if you consider the steering feel and balance.

Handling Track: A taxi ride with one of the Test drivers from Mclaren. AMAZING!

High Speed Oval: We got to drive all the cars for two laps with a speed of 200km/h on the banks and 250km/h on the straights.

Next a taxi ride in the SLR at full speed!! 330km/h on the straights.
    The car seemed very stable and composed.

To sum it up:
    The car accelerates violently of the line and then just keeps on going to the max accompanied by a thunderous exhaust/engine roar inside the cabin.
    Brake pedal feel: artificial and very difficult to moderate.
    Steering feel: very precise but too nervous at high speeds.
    Overall design of the car is excellent for a "GT",but it can`t match the Carrera GT for visual drama.
    That said ,it doesn`t have the looks of a real "Supercar" and with the new mini SLR (SLK) coming soon and the facelifted SL later with a similar front end as the SLR I think
    there is a real chance the SLR won`t be seen as anything more than just a normal Mercedes to the average person on the street.
    Worst design faults on the car has to be the standard 18 inch rims and the steering wheel, same one as in the SL55. "MAJOR DISSAPOINTMENT"
    Noise level inside the car at acceleration and at high speeds can be wearing.
    Exhaust sound outside the car sounds like an SL55,only more nervous and much louder.
    Excellent grip and balance.

Engine: Monstrous engine with excellent torque.
    Steering: Extremely direct,a bit nervous at high speeds.
    Brakes: Artificial feel,difficult to moderate otherwise excellent performance.
    Balance: Excellent grip and balance.
    Looks: Overall impression,best looking GT but lacks the visual drama of the Carrera GT and other Supercars.Don`t get me wrong, "It looks Awesome".

THE CARS WE DROVE WERE NOT PRODUCTION CARS,THEY STILL HAVE SOME DEVELOPMENT TO DO
    BEFORE DELIVERIES START.

The first cars will be delivered in the end of March or end of April 2004.

Price has not been revealed yet but is expected to be in the region of Euro 350.000 excl.VAT

SORRY! NO CAMERAS WERE ALLOWED AT THE IDIADA FACILITY.

The author of Autocar seems to share my view.

Mercedes-Benz SLR Mclaren

612 PS ( recertified with 626 PS )
    780 Nm

Compression ratio: 8.8

5.5 Liters

Boot volume 275 Liters,( compartment inside car 40 Liters )

Performance.

Top speed: 330-340km/h

Cd value: 0.38

Weight of car: 1768kg*

1.* (Weight according to EC reg.
    90% fuel,7kg equipment and driver 68kg)

Drivers report:
    Two SLR,one black and one silver both completely unmasked.

First the Handling Pad: We started of by driving the SL500,SL55
    and then on to the SLR for comparisons sake.
    The difference between the SL500 and the SL55 to the SLR is like comparing a GT3 to an S500 if you consider the steering feel and balance.

Handling Track: A taxi ride with one of the Test drivers from Mclaren. AMAZING!

High Speed Oval: We got to drive all the cars for two laps with a speed of 200km/h on the banks and 250km/h on the straights.

Next a taxi ride in the SLR at full speed!! 330km/h on the straights.
    The car seemed very stable and composed.

To sum it up:
    The car accelerates violently of the line and then just keeps on going to the max accompanied by a thunderous exhaust/engine roar inside the cabin.
    Brake pedal feel: artificial and very difficult to moderate.
    Steering feel: very precise but too nervous at high speeds.
    Overall design of the car is excellent for a "GT",but it can`t match the Carrera GT for visual drama.
    That said ,it doesn`t have the looks of a real "Supercar" and with the new mini SLR (SLK) coming soon and the facelifted SL later with a similar front end as the SLR I think
    there is a real chance the SLR won`t be seen as anything more than just a normal Mercedes to the average person on the street.
    Worst design faults on the car has to be the standard 18 inch rims and the steering wheel, same one as in the SL55. "MAJOR DISSAPOINTMENT"
    Noise level inside the car at acceleration and at high speeds can be wearing.
    Exhaust sound outside the car sounds like an SL55,only more nervous and much louder.
    Excellent grip and balance.

Engine: Monstrous engine with excellent torque.
    Steering: Extremely direct,a bit nervous at high speeds.
    Brakes: Artificial feel,difficult to moderate otherwise excellent performance.
    Balance: Excellent grip and balance.
    Looks: Overall impression,best looking GT but lacks the visual drama of the Carrera GT and other Supercars.Don`t get me wrong, "It looks Awesome".

THE CARS WE DROVE WERE NOT PRODUCTION CARS,THEY STILL HAVE SOME DEVELOPMENT TO DO
    BEFORE DELIVERIES START.

The first cars will be delivered in the end of March or end of April 2004.

Price has not been revealed yet but is expected to be in the region of Euro 350.000 excl.VAT

SORRY! NO CAMERAS WERE ALLOWED AT THE IDIADA FACILITY.

I don't like the SLR, honestly. The engine might be great (still don't understand why they didn't use the bi-turbo charged V12), the suspension and the body structure too but it looks like a supped-up SL from Sbarro. The exterior is almost ugly I'd say. And I think this is actually the reason why we didn't see a SL65 AMG yet because it would hurt SLR sales substantially.

In the supercars world, the Enzo and CGT are the better choices right now. Personally, I'd prefer the Lamborghini Murcielago for much less money.

I don't like the SLR, honestly. The engine might be great (still don't understand why they didn't use the bi-turbo charged V12), the suspension and the body structure too but it looks like a supped-up SL from Sbarro. The exterior is almost ugly I'd say. And I think this is actually the reason why we didn't see a SL65 AMG yet because it would hurt SLR sales substantially.

In the supercars world, the Enzo and CGT are the better choices right now. Personally, I'd prefer the Lamborghini Murcielago for much less money.

Quote:
    but it looks like a supped-up SL from Sbarro

GREAT!! couldn't have said it better!

this thing is a joke. i have no understanding for merc -- the interior is ordinary, the outside is completely O.T.T., engine and auto tranny are already dated with AMG65 and 7speed auto box in mind.

i have my doubts that they will manage to sell 500 per year over the next 6 years.

and gordon murray should delete the SLR from his CV -- his reputation could get tarnished.

Quote:
    I'd prefer the Lamborghini Murcielago for much less money

the murcielago really is a supercar bargain, especially if you buy a used one!

but IMO the enzo is above all. let me quote car's tom ford: "the enzo is not a car, it's an event".

Quote:
    but it looks like a supped-up SL from Sbarro

GREAT!! couldn't have said it better!

this thing is a joke. i have no understanding for merc -- the interior is ordinary, the outside is completely O.T.T., engine and auto tranny are already dated with AMG65 and 7speed auto box in mind.

i have my doubts that they will manage to sell 500 per year over the next 6 years.

and gordon murray should delete the SLR from his CV -- his reputation could get tarnished.

Quote:
    I'd prefer the Lamborghini Murcielago for much less money

the murcielago really is a supercar bargain, especially if you buy a used one!

but IMO the enzo is above all. let me quote car's tom ford: "the enzo is not a car, it's an event".

RC, do you know what gear ratios the SL65 will work to?

And BTW, I don't think the SLR is a waste of money, if I had the means, I would buy one provided a few things were changed:

1). More power.

2). Soft electronic suspension.

3). RHD.

The car is astonishingly quick and unique. The powertrain is from the maybach, F1 crash technology, its just amazing everywhere you look. The people who can afford one will probably never appreciate the technology, but what are you gonna do?

BTW, the CGT is apparently faster around thr ing in the dry, but in the wet, with 19inch wheels, the SLR is "much quicker", words said by McLaren development driver, Goodwin.

RC, do you know what gear ratios the SL65 will work to?

And BTW, I don't think the SLR is a waste of money, if I had the means, I would buy one provided a few things were changed:

1). More power.

2). Soft electronic suspension.

3). RHD.

The car is astonishingly quick and unique. The powertrain is from the maybach, F1 crash technology, its just amazing everywhere you look. The people who can afford one will probably never appreciate the technology, but what are you gonna do?

BTW, the CGT is apparently faster around thr ing in the dry, but in the wet, with 19inch wheels, the SLR is "much quicker", words said by McLaren development driver, Goodwin.

Quote:
    The car is astonishingly quick and unique. The powertrain is from the maybach, F1 crash technology, its just amazing everywhere you look.

I fully agree but the looks are not good. Put a McLaren F1 next to the SLR and tell me which car is more beautiful.
    The SLR looks like a supped up SL, nothing more and nothing less. It lacks a thorough design, it looks like somebody wanted to create something special from an ordinary SL body.
    I my eyes, the SL is a design masterpiece compared to the SLR. Maybe most people love how the SLR looks because they know it is expensive, special and powerful. I usually don't care too much about looks on a sports car but the SLR is ugly in my eyes, sorry to say that. The front nose is too long, the interior is too flashy, the side looks awful, the nose is too pointedly and maybe the rear is nice but not really perfect.
    To make it short: the SLR gives me the impression that Mercedes tried hard to impose the SL design on McLaren, maybe because they know that the upcoming facelifted SL and especially the "cheaper" SLK will have a similar nose and rear. They'll sell well if they look similar to the SLR supersportscar. This is all about sales strategy.

Regarding test drivers: never believe what they say about other brands, especially if they weren't able to drive one yet. And even if true, I wouldn't drive a car for several hundred thousands of Euros, Dollars, whatever on a wet track. Unless I wouldn't care much about money.

I don't have a clue about the SL65's gear ratio because there still is no green light regarding the SL65. If AMG (or better said: Mercedes) decides to build this car, it will be a highly interesting product. Unfortunately it seems the Nuerburgring suspension won't be a standard option on the SL65 and I'm not sure about the LSD.

Quote:
    The car is astonishingly quick and unique. The powertrain is from the maybach, F1 crash technology, its just amazing everywhere you look.

I fully agree but the looks are not good. Put a McLaren F1 next to the SLR and tell me which car is more beautiful.
    The SLR looks like a supped up SL, nothing more and nothing less. It lacks a thorough design, it looks like somebody wanted to create something special from an ordinary SL body.
    I my eyes, the SL is a design masterpiece compared to the SLR. Maybe most people love how the SLR looks because they know it is expensive, special and powerful. I usually don't care too much about looks on a sports car but the SLR is ugly in my eyes, sorry to say that. The front nose is too long, the interior is too flashy, the side looks awful, the nose is too pointedly and maybe the rear is nice but not really perfect.
    To make it short: the SLR gives me the impression that Mercedes tried hard to impose the SL design on McLaren, maybe because they know that the upcoming facelifted SL and especially the "cheaper" SLK will have a similar nose and rear. They'll sell well if they look similar to the SLR supersportscar. This is all about sales strategy.

Regarding test drivers: never believe what they say about other brands, especially if they weren't able to drive one yet. And even if true, I wouldn't drive a car for several hundred thousands of Euros, Dollars, whatever on a wet track. Unless I wouldn't care much about money.

I don't have a clue about the SL65's gear ratio because there still is no green light regarding the SL65. If AMG (or better said: Mercedes) decides to build this car, it will be a highly interesting product. Unfortunately it seems the Nuerburgring suspension won't be a standard option on the SL65 and I'm not sure about the LSD.

You're entitled to your opinion RC. No problem with that.

To be honest, I really don't care about ring times, you know that
    The SL55 is one hellofa car. perfect for the money. the SLR is just excess.

You're entitled to your opinion RC. No problem with that.

To be honest, I really don't care about ring times, you know that
    The SL55 is one hellofa car. perfect for the money. the SLR is just excess.

The SL is a design masterpiece from every angle.
    The SLR is just overdone in every way (except interior - that's boring line production - I wistfully remember the prototype at the IAA...).

Unfortunately the strange nose of the SLR seems to become standard in the DC group (e.g. take a look at the Mitsubishi Outlander, looks like an off-road SLR to me ).

regards,
    sr

The SL is a design masterpiece from every angle.
    The SLR is just overdone in every way (except interior - that's boring line production - I wistfully remember the prototype at the IAA...).

Unfortunately the strange nose of the SLR seems to become standard in the DC group (e.g. take a look at the Mitsubishi Outlander, looks like an off-road SLR to me ).

regards,
    sr

Quote:
    Performance.

To get slightly off topic, I believe that the SL55 tested in AMS took approx. 32 seconds from 0-300 km/h. Now how is DC going to explain their top-of-the-line supercar only outdoing the supposedly over 100 HP short SL55 by a measly second? Like RC said, that car was SERIOUSLY modified. And I'd take that exact same car over an SLR any day

Quote:
    Performance.

To get slightly off topic, I believe that the SL55 tested in AMS took approx. 32 seconds from 0-300 km/h. Now how is DC going to explain their top-of-the-line supercar only outdoing the supposedly over 100 HP short SL55 by a measly second? Like RC said, that car was SERIOUSLY modified. And I'd take that exact same car over an SLR any day

Ok, ok, that SL was slightly modified...probably quicker gearing rather than anything else. AN MKB SL55 with 558HP and 800Nm torque will do 0-300km/hr in 26 seconds, so, gearing is the most contributor to such good acceleration, that AMG SL probably ahd such gear ratios rather than 600bhp.

Btw the SLR will do 0-300 in 28.8, not 31.1.

And you can't really comapre the SLR to an SL. Weight is a huge factor, no more skidding around sideways around corners, no more sluggish turning and braking, the SLR goes, turns and handles like a Porsche....

For a Mercedes fan, seeing a Mercedes do that is a huge complement, competing and Stuttgart rivalry my asss...

See the video I posted and see what I mean, see the speed at which they drive the SLR through the corners, never seen an SL do that...never.

Ok, ok, that SL was slightly modified...probably quicker gearing rather than anything else. AN MKB SL55 with 558HP and 800Nm torque will do 0-300km/hr in 26 seconds, so, gearing is the most contributor to such good acceleration, that AMG SL probably ahd such gear ratios rather than 600bhp.

Btw the SLR will do 0-300 in 28.8, not 31.1.

And you can't really comapre the SLR to an SL. Weight is a huge factor, no more skidding around sideways around corners, no more sluggish turning and braking, the SLR goes, turns and handles like a Porsche....

For a Mercedes fan, seeing a Mercedes do that is a huge complement, competing and Stuttgart rivalry my asss...

See the video I posted and see what I mean, see the speed at which they drive the SLR through the corners, never seen an SL do that...never.

Practically as heavy as the SL500, as powerful as the CL65AMG, with a 5-speed torque converter automatic... I really don't see the point of the car. And certainly can't be included in the supercar class just because they charge you as much as one, its sport perfromance is leagues away from McLaren F1, Carrera GT, Koenigsegg or Enzo.
    Drop the CL65's V12 on an SL and how close would you get in sport performance to the SLR for a fraction of the price? try doing that with an Enzo or CGT.
    Just my opinion anyway.

Practically as heavy as the SL500, as powerful as the CL65AMG, with a 5-speed torque converter automatic... I really don't see the point of the car. And certainly can't be included in the supercar class just because they charge you as much as one, its sport perfromance is leagues away from McLaren F1, Carrera GT, Koenigsegg or Enzo.
    Drop the CL65's V12 on an SL and how close would you get in sport performance to the SLR for a fraction of the price? try doing that with an Enzo or CGT.
    Just my opinion anyway.

No SL65 will keep up with the SLR, and for your reference, compare the performance figures of the CGT to the SLR, and then talk.

Weighs as much as an SL500, yea it has to with all of those luxuries, and did you know its 4 times safer than an S-class? And YET it will keep up with if not outrun a CGT with 400kg more weight....go figure that one out

No SL65 will keep up with the SLR, and for your reference, compare the performance figures of the CGT to the SLR, and then talk.

Weighs as much as an SL500, yea it has to with all of those luxuries, and did you know its 4 times safer than an S-class? And YET it will keep up with if not outrun a CGT with 400kg more weight....go figure that one out

When I say "sport performance" I don't mean straight-line acceleration figures, especially from a 5-speed auto, I drive a sportbike that will pull a whole second over the SLR, CGT and Enzo in 0-120mph, so its not something that thrills me.

What I care about in real sportcars and mean by performance of a sportcar is the handling, track performance, driver feedback, agility, etc. try comparing an SLR's handling or track times to a CGT or Enzo the SLR will look just like an expensive Bentley Coupe. The CGT is a supercar in a whole other league of performance and character unless you want to stick to straight-line acceleration times.

So we are talking of different things in a car I guess, and we are both entitled to them.

When I say "sport performance" I don't mean straight-line acceleration figures, especially from a 5-speed auto, I drive a sportbike that will pull a whole second over the SLR, CGT and Enzo in 0-120mph, so its not something that thrills me.

What I care about in real sportcars and mean by performance of a sportcar is the handling, track performance, driver feedback, agility, etc. try comparing an SLR's handling or track times to a CGT or Enzo the SLR will look just like an expensive Bentley Coupe. The CGT is a supercar in a whole other league of performance and character unless you want to stick to straight-line acceleration times.

So we are talking of different things in a car I guess, and we are both entitled to them.

ummm...do you have a ring time for an SLR....yet?

If not, then please wait until you do...ok?

ummm...do you have a ring time for an SLR....yet?

If not, then please wait until you do...ok?

The best laptime posted by McLaren during testing at the Ring was 7 min 44 sec.
    A laptime of 7.38 - 7.40 should be possible during perfect conditions according to themselves.

My guess would be a laptime of 1.11 on Hockenheim.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689059 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408944 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255639 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234891 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65477 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857774 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773750 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM