Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: very new 997 tt pictures

amjf088 - i noticed that its your "1 year rennteam birthday" --congrats

Quote:
    You know, there is no finer internet experience than reading RC's "hints" as the launch of a new P-car approaches.

The anticiapation is soooo fun! (I log onto rennteam everytime I get on the net and hope for a big treat like these pics!)

I 100% agree- I believe I can say that i am fully addicted to rennteam

Wow, she's a beauty Al .

Thanks Ron,

Can't wait 'til spring with warmer weather and snow-free roads to test the power upgrade-that pic is from last July out in the Finger Lakes of western New York-lovely scenery, great rolling hills for spirited driving.

Thanks mumbasic good job!

find other Turbo and make other pictures..

this night i can't sleep waiting today to see those pics..

Thanks
    Ciao
    Dario
    p.s.HAve you see somethig inside(push-button,something)to change the traction % from front to rear and viceversa? or maybe is a Sport Chrono function..

I didn't see any button that is not in my car. I searched for it but didn't find. Also I couldn't see clear enough, but tiptronic has not 7 gears. There are the old leds on the dyno. I've couldn't see clear but it looks like only 5 gears (5 leds).

Yes I should put a rennteam logo, but I didn't have one at home and didn't thought about this. Shame on me

AM

Quote:
    mumbasic said:
    I didn't see any button that is not in my car. I searched for it but didn't find. Also I couldn't see clear enough, but tiptronic has not 7 gears. There are the old leds on the dyno. I've couldn't see clear but it looks like only 5 gears (5 leds).

Yes I should put a rennteam logo, but I didn't have one at home and didn't thought about this. Shame on me

AM

Shame on you...right. C'mon Adnan, we're so happy you showed us these pictures first, don't worry, be happy. We're sooooo thankful, believe me.
    I also think that the Tiptronic still has 5 gears and I also think that it is still a Mercedes auto tranny. But who knows, maybe we're lucky and we get the three rumored choices, manual, Tiptronic AND PDK from the start.
    Personally, I think that such a fantastic car deserves to be offered from the start with PDK and I hope that Porsche thinks the same. It somehow doesn't make sense to offer such a beast without PDK. But maybe they want to use PDK as something special for the GT3 introduction, this could be possible too. But it would be a pitty, honestly.

Stupid question: you seem very fond of the new Turbo, you didn't get second thoughts about your C4S choice, didn't you? Funny enough, I got second thoughts about my 997 Turbo choice because it will be completely impossible to drive this car to work, something which I might have considered doing in a C4S after a while. The 997 Turbo is a bit too flashy, which is actually good but not good for my business.
    I still have thoughts about a C4S with powerkit on my mind but my dealer says this is related to the fact that I don't have a 911 anymore (911 addiction symptoms ). He proposed to "rent" me a 911 for the months to come until the 997 Turbo arrives but I have to talk to my tax advisor if I should do it. Can't help it, I lost my soul to the 911.

excellent pics!! another world premiere for rennteam.... thanks!
    as for pdk ,based on my opinion and info, i dont expect it in 2006...

RC,

are you trying to get something out of my mind? I have thought long time about a turbo. The price was not the decision maker it is really the environment. I wanted a car which is not so much showing his performance. The C4S with X51 does this. It is not a turbo (I know) but it is as fast as my last turbo was. And my last turbo was fast enough.
    If you really want to hear my thought. I still think about a BMW M6 more then of a 997 tt. I hope the Panamera will be my car.

AM

Quote:
    mumbasic said:
    RC,

are you trying to get something out of my mind? I have thought long time about a turbo. The price was not the decision maker it is really the environment. I wanted a car which is not so much showing his performance. The C4S with X51 does this. It is not a turbo (I know) but it is as fast as my last turbo was. And my last turbo was fast enough.
    If you really want to hear my thought. I still think about a BMW M6 more then of a 997 tt. I hope the Panamera will be my car.

AM

Have you driven the M6 yet? If not, that explains why you still think of it

I would never ever give up my 996TTS (or the 997TTx50 whenever I will have it) for the M6.

The M6 is by far more comfortable and also offers quite a lot of interior space. However, it is worlds apart from the driving excitement offered by a TT.

If you don't need additional space you have made the right choice in going for the Porsche!

Quote:
    sdy284 said:
    great pics! but maybe i can't find it, but were's the boost guage in the instrument cluster?

I would NOT want these wheels without the PCCBs. What a pain to clean.

What is that "red" item exposed under the driver's seat? Anyone know if those seats are the same as on current 997?

Re: Very new 997 Turbo pictures!!!

Same from me Mumbasic,
    Thanks a lot for those pics, they are great!
    We'll know the final specs soon enough now I hope!

Quote:
    KiT said:
    What is that "red" item exposed under the driver's seat? Anyone know if those seats are the same as on current 997?

Its a fire extinguisher (factory option if you want).

The seats are the same as the ones offered in the current 997.

Inside I haven't seen anything that is different from my car. The only two things are:
    - turbo is written on the speedometer
    - there is an airbag off lamp in the middle console

AM

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    KiT said:
    What is that "red" item exposed under the driver's seat?

Its a fire extinguisher (factory option if you want).

Yep.

And with the heat the VTG's purportedly generate (up to and possibly over 1,000 degrees centigrade ), perhaps the fire extinguisher should be standard equipment.

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Yep.

And with the heat the VTG's purportedly generate (up to and possibly over 1,000 degrees centigrade ), perhaps the fire extinguisher should be standard equipment.

Turbocharger turbine temperatures get up to the same levels as in regular gasoline engine turbo applications. The remarkable thing about the VTG situation would be that the turbine vanes are moveable, which I would think must cause some headaches during their development.

Quote:
    mumbasic said:
    Inside I haven't seen anything that is different from my car. The only two things are:
    - turbo is written on the speedometer
    - there is an airbag off lamp in the middle console

AM

225 mph speedo on US cars and 360 kph speedo on Europe/ROW bound cars (350 kph as a number and another mark for 360).
    Also the PDK cars will have a few little differences around the steering wheel, on the speedo (activated gear display) and around the shifting stick.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Yep.

Turbocharger turbine temperatures get up to the same levels as in regular gasoline engine turbo applications. The remarkable thing about the VTG situation would be that the turbine vanes are moveable, which I would think must cause some headaches during their development.

Yes.

My understanding was that the VTG's application in turbo diesel vehicles yielded lower exhaust temps. of less than 900C, and that thermal stresses on the moveable components in a gasoline engine VTG rendered them unworkable-thus the need for space program-derived materials that can change pitch reliably and handle the heat from forced induction.

On the 996TT, I believe the K24's (as on the X50/S) are desgined to handle temps. over 1,000C, whereas the K16's on the 996baseTT are not. Do you know offhand what the impellers are made from on those (and other similar turbo's. such as the Garrett/Allied Signal models)? It will be interesting to find out what materials the VTG will use to handle the higher temps. from gasoline- versus diesel-engine application.

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    On the 996TT, I believe the K24's (as on the X50/S) are desgined to handle temps. over 1,000C, whereas the K16's on the 996baseTT are not. Do you know offhand what the impellers are made from on those (and other similar turbo's. such as the Garrett/Allied Signal models)? It will be interesting to find out what materials the VTG will use to handle the higher temps. from gasoline- versus diesel-engine application.

Manufacturer KKK's "K??" designations refer basically to turbocharger size and - whilst I don't know - I do suspect that turbine housings and vanes of different turbos for similar applications would be made of the same material(s). Specifically, these items are made of special steel alloys capable of retaining strength and resisting deformation at very high temperatures. I may be wrong, but I think I remember reading that high-nickel-content steel alloys like Inconel are used.

The turbos of the 996TT and 996TTS were both in the same position (same distance from combustion chamber)so they would have been subjected to the same gas temperatures.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    Turbo Al said:

Manufacturer KKK's "K??" designations refer basically to turbocharger size and - whilst I don't know - I do suspect that turbine housings and vanes of different turbos for similar applications would be made of the same material(s). Specifically, these items are made of special steel alloys capable of retaining strength and resisting deformation at very high temperatures. I may be wrong, but I think I remember reading that high-nickel-content steel alloys like Inconel are used.

The turbos of the 996TT and 996TTS were both in the same position (same distance from combustion chamber)so they would have been subjected to the same gas temperatures.

Thanks again. I read off the BW website about their VTG work, as well as their eBooster and R2S (regulated 2-stage turbocharging-which they say involves 2 turbo's. of different sizes connected in series using bypass regulation) innovations. I wonder if any of those goodies could make it to a 911Turbo in the future. R2S I presume would make VTG redundant, but I wonder also if Porsche and BW engineers are testing stuff like this on prototypes. Only time will tell, I suppose.

I would love to have some sort of "overboost" function, even if it would be a "gimmick" only. It would revive some Lancia memories in me...

A lot of stuff is possible but I'm afraid Porsche won't give us all at the same time. Maybe in the Turbo S?

thanks a lot mumbasic, great catch! and even better that you put your car next to it!!
    I agree that the differences arent as big as they should... still not 100% convinced on that car. let's hope for performance...

girlfriend of my friend thought that my car is the faster car. She is not so familiar with Porsche. But she said the left looks as it would be faster. I think she saw the quad pipes and the turbo has only two.

Quote:
    mumbasic said:
    girlfriend of my friend thought that my car is the faster car. She is not so familiar with Porsche. But she said the left looks as it would be faster. I think she saw the quad pipes and the turbo has only two.

girls....
    we love them anyway!!

Quote:
    turbolite said:
    Quote:
    mumbasic said:

girls....
    we love them anyway!!

same here... lost cause!!

hey Mumbasic.... see that TT around anymore? We are all hungry for some new pics...We need something to hold us down till end of February

Quote:
    BD 997 said:
    hey Mumbasic.... see that TT around anymore? We are all hungry for some new pics...We need something to hold us down till end of February

right...we wait new pics and new updated rumors!!

i have something..but is better that i stay shut up..it seems a joke instead of a rumor..

ciaoo

Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Quote:
    BD 997 said:

i have something..but is better that i stay shut up..it seems a joke instead of a rumor..

ciaoo

Some people like Super Darius just can't understand, that on this forum there are people with heart problems... Talk, guys, talk, I don't know if I can survive until the end of February......

Quote:
    paczo911 said:
    Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Quote:
    BD 997 said:

ciaoo

Some people like Super Darius just can't understand, that on this forum there are people with heart problems... Talk, guys, talk, I don't know if I can survive until the end of February......

nonono...you are wrong..

i know that there are a lot of people here with heart problem..i'm one of these too..

i don't talk only becouse after that rumors of yesterday evening i can't sleep all night...but this morning i understand that was only a bad nightmare...and now all is ok again..well..not so ok..but at least in good shape..

i know only a thing..i can't live till 13 February without new rumors and new pics!! guy!! take out your photo cameras and make something!!!

ciaoo

Well, at least, thank God that we all have rennteam...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759202 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433559 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259663 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256801 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80523 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5304 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870534 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805461 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM