Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New ML 63 AMG Unveiled

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Its power and transmission are stupendous. It will probably NOT have Porsches annoying throttle lag that all Cayennes have.

All hail Benz as the SUV Super Power!

As others have said, an AMG SUV isn't on the top of the list, I would take the Audi over this 3 ton armored thing, of course I would also take a supercharged Range Rover, and a Cayenne Turbo...what good is power if cannot be harnessed properly? Those AMG boys love to just throw in extra HP...maybe next time they should pay more attention to the handling since not every road simply goes straight

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

As others have said, an AMG SUV isn't on the top of the list, I would take the Audi over this 3 ton armored thing, of course I would also take a supercharged Range Rover, and a Cayenne Turbo...what good is power if cannot be harnessed properly? Those AMG boys love to just throw in extra HP...maybe next time they should pay more attention to the handling since not every road simply goes straight

Are you referring to the new ML63 AMG? I don't think you are...

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

Quote:
    Grant said:
    I love your signature quote from our Commander in Chief - that's great

Did he really say that?

Forget I asked that stupid question? Why should I doubt that he could have said it.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    I love your signature quote from our Commander in Chief - that's great

Did he really say that?

Forget I asked that stupid question? Why should I doubt that he could have said it.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:

Oh you bet I am - you can apply those comments to other AMG models, steering doesn't impress me in the least bit

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:

Oh you bet I am - you can apply those comments to other AMG models, steering doesn't impress me in the least bit

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:

I suggest you do some research on this vehicle. It will put the Cayenne Turbo to shame.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:

I suggest you do some research on this vehicle. It will put the Cayenne Turbo to shame.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Its power and transmission are stupendous. It will probably NOT have Porsches annoying throttle lag that all Cayennes have.

Your must have lost something about it all. The ML63 is no G series and even in its base form its a much better handler than a Audi or Rover, Its substantially quicker than a Cayenne turbo.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Your must have lost something about it all. The ML63 is no G series and even in its base form its a much better handler than a Audi or Rover, Its substantially quicker than a Cayenne turbo.

I'll be the first to post a scan of a professional comparo between the two vehicles....and then buy an AMG vehicle for the girlfriend...she'll look great driving it over to Neiman Marcus...

I'll be the first to post a scan of a professional comparo between the two vehicles....and then buy an AMG vehicle for the girlfriend...she'll look great driving it over to Neiman Marcus...

Will the lameness ever stop??

A friend of mine just bought a Toyota Landcruiser with a zink in it.
    Yes, a zink.
    It's a special camper version that sells well in Denmark because people can save a bundle of money buying a camper-fitted car than a regular.
    It's almost 50% rebate.
    He still paid a little more than 100,000 USD fot the car here (yes, 100 K), which I feel is totally lame for a car that will be driven by his wife...on asphalt...in suburbia....to and from kindergarten and the local shops.

He proudly explained to me that he had it equipped with an electronic-automatic-gizmo-thingy gearbox with reduction-diff-climbing-feature...or something like that.
    I started laughing sponteaneously, asking him exactly WHAT mountain he was supposed to climb with it (Denmark is very flat) which I believe he didnt find too charming.
    But I told him the same thing, I will say about this Merc:

Who in their right mind builds a 2 tonne-bigwheel-immagonnaclimbthismountain-monster...and then try to make it perform like a sportscar???????
    Thats is SO lame that I cant decide which is lamer: People who buy these automotive freaks or the carmakers who will do anything to sell a car - even if the car makes less sense than a 911TT with tractor wheels.

This John Merrick of the car industry might do 0-100 km/h in 5 secs flat - AND SO WHAT?
    The moment it hits a corner with its gazillion BHPs it will need an ancor to slow down and towboat to push it thru the corner.

And this Disco-Jeep cant even climb a real mountain- let alone a small hill, since they have probably fitted low profile rubber to make it "sporty".

You all seem to focus on its 0-100 km/h Cayenne beating abilities.
    Put it on a track with a Cayenne. Make it Cayenne S to make it fair on the Merc. Then start the stop watch.
    I dunno about you guys. But my money is on the Cayenne.

The Merc looks fine IMO and God bless those who buy one.
    But here's my advice:

Get a Discovery if you want a real 4x4.
    Get a 911 if you want a real sportscar.
    But whatever you do - get real!

Will the lameness ever stop??

A friend of mine just bought a Toyota Landcruiser with a zink in it.
    Yes, a zink.
    It's a special camper version that sells well in Denmark because people can save a bundle of money buying a camper-fitted car than a regular.
    It's almost 50% rebate.
    He still paid a little more than 100,000 USD fot the car here (yes, 100 K), which I feel is totally lame for a car that will be driven by his wife...on asphalt...in suburbia....to and from kindergarten and the local shops.

He proudly explained to me that he had it equipped with an electronic-automatic-gizmo-thingy gearbox with reduction-diff-climbing-feature...or something like that.
    I started laughing sponteaneously, asking him exactly WHAT mountain he was supposed to climb with it (Denmark is very flat) which I believe he didnt find too charming.
    But I told him the same thing, I will say about this Merc:

Who in their right mind builds a 2 tonne-bigwheel-immagonnaclimbthismountain-monster...and then try to make it perform like a sportscar???????
    Thats is SO lame that I cant decide which is lamer: People who buy these automotive freaks or the carmakers who will do anything to sell a car - even if the car makes less sense than a 911TT with tractor wheels.

This John Merrick of the car industry might do 0-100 km/h in 5 secs flat - AND SO WHAT?
    The moment it hits a corner with its gazillion BHPs it will need an ancor to slow down and towboat to push it thru the corner.

And this Disco-Jeep cant even climb a real mountain- let alone a small hill, since they have probably fitted low profile rubber to make it "sporty".

You all seem to focus on its 0-100 km/h Cayenne beating abilities.
    Put it on a track with a Cayenne. Make it Cayenne S to make it fair on the Merc. Then start the stop watch.
    I dunno about you guys. But my money is on the Cayenne.

The Merc looks fine IMO and God bless those who buy one.
    But here's my advice:

Get a Discovery if you want a real 4x4.
    Get a 911 if you want a real sportscar.
    But whatever you do - get real!

Doc,
    In theory you're right.
    Cars like Cayenne turbo and ML63 don't make much sense.
    But the demande is here so the car manufacturers would be silly not to make them (if they can) and cash in the money.
    I also think like you, although a nice SUV is quite nice, it's no sport car, my favorite 4x4 is the Toyota Landcruiser Amazon (it has different names accross the world), so spacious, so robust, so comfortable, will go literally anywhere despite its huge size and no later than last week did over 800 km on one tank with it, can't complain.

I see cars like Cayenne Turbo and ML63 a good alternative when a family father wants the best of both worlds and does not have the means to have a sports car and a family car in his garage.
    Having said that, there's also the satisfaction to know that you own the fastest SUV on production, but refuelling my car every 350 km is not really my cup of tea. I guess you could push 450 km with a Cayenne T but you'd need to be easy on the pesal, in that case, might as well go for a good Disco or Landcruiser!

Doc,
    In theory you're right.
    Cars like Cayenne turbo and ML63 don't make much sense.
    But the demande is here so the car manufacturers would be silly not to make them (if they can) and cash in the money.
    I also think like you, although a nice SUV is quite nice, it's no sport car, my favorite 4x4 is the Toyota Landcruiser Amazon (it has different names accross the world), so spacious, so robust, so comfortable, will go literally anywhere despite its huge size and no later than last week did over 800 km on one tank with it, can't complain.

I see cars like Cayenne Turbo and ML63 a good alternative when a family father wants the best of both worlds and does not have the means to have a sports car and a family car in his garage.
    Having said that, there's also the satisfaction to know that you own the fastest SUV on production, but refuelling my car every 350 km is not really my cup of tea. I guess you could push 450 km with a Cayenne T but you'd need to be easy on the pesal, in that case, might as well go for a good Disco or Landcruiser!

It's a good job this car has loads of power. After all, it's gonna need it to tow an oil refinery around on a trailer...

What is the fuel consumption of this beast??

We pay GBP1 per litre now in the UK and it's still rising....and out of every Pounds1 we pay here, 64% is fuel tax going straight to the UK Treasury....

The world is going crazy...bigger and bigger engines and horse power wars between the German manufacturers while the oil is drying up faster and faster because of demand in India and China...

It's a good job this car has loads of power. After all, it's gonna need it to tow an oil refinery around on a trailer...

What is the fuel consumption of this beast??

We pay GBP1 per litre now in the UK and it's still rising....and out of every Pounds1 we pay here, 64% is fuel tax going straight to the UK Treasury....

The world is going crazy...bigger and bigger engines and horse power wars between the German manufacturers while the oil is drying up faster and faster because of demand in India and China...

Its funny, how childish such comments sound. I seriously can't believe it but the sheer mind behind such comments is unbelievable. Lets look at the logic:

AMG 500hp engine in a ML---> why so much power we should all buy diesels, petrol os so damn expensive, what a waste of car.

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING ON A CAR FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go become an environmentalist and throw flan's on Jeremy Clarkson's face when he comes out of Oxford!!!

There is no point in having a 500hp ML is there? Well thats your opinion. The ML can come with an off-road package, why don't some of you try it out in the rough stuff before making such sweeping statements and categotizing this off-roader with the mainstream bunch of crap that other manufacturers throw out.

I swear I have never heard such asinine and childish comments before. Sure have a go at its automatic-only gearbox, its 155mph speedlimiter, its numb steering, its bad build quality and unreliability, but don't "diss" it for having a 500hp engine, that is a pure unadulterated display of deranged, hair-brained lunacy .

Its funny, how childish such comments sound. I seriously can't believe it but the sheer mind behind such comments is unbelievable. Lets look at the logic:

AMG 500hp engine in a ML---> why so much power we should all buy diesels, petrol os so damn expensive, what a waste of car.

Go become an environmentalist and throw flan's on Jeremy Clarkson's face when he comes out of Oxford!!!

There is no point in having a 500hp ML is there? Well thats your opinion. The ML can come with an off-road package, why don't some of you try it out in the rough stuff before making such sweeping statements and categotizing this off-roader with the mainstream bunch of crap that other manufacturers throw out.

I swear I have never heard such asinine and childish comments before. Sure have a go at its automatic-only gearbox, its 155mph speedlimiter, its numb steering, its bad build quality and unreliability, but don't "diss" it for having a 500hp engine, that is a pure unadulterated display of deranged, hair-brained lunacy .

Quote:
    Bilal said:

Bilal,

Your post is a pure, unadulterated display of deranged, hair-brained lunacy.
    Nobody is saying anything about the horsepower number, but people ARE talking about the concept of the car itself. A two-and-a-half ton SUV with a gazillion bhp, which isn't suitable for anything but paved roads (too many painted panels and the tyres aren't great either), where a similarly powered limousine will kick its ass. The limo can also carry five people, has vastly superior aerodynamics and is a lot safer for other participants in traffic when colliding with them. If I were a pedestrian being run over by some soccer mom, talking on the phone, I'd much rather be hit by a Civic than by this monstrosity, where the impact would definately crush my chest. Not to mention that these cars are completely unsuitable for european city traffic because of their above standard measurements and most often being driven by women... You should get the point by now. Just because it's a Mercedes you don't need to defend it so eagerly. Opinion doesn't differ by brand.
    I'll take an Audi RS6 any day over this.

Quote:
    Bilal said:

Bilal,

Your post is a pure, unadulterated display of deranged, hair-brained lunacy.
    Nobody is saying anything about the horsepower number, but people ARE talking about the concept of the car itself. A two-and-a-half ton SUV with a gazillion bhp, which isn't suitable for anything but paved roads (too many painted panels and the tyres aren't great either), where a similarly powered limousine will kick its ass. The limo can also carry five people, has vastly superior aerodynamics and is a lot safer for other participants in traffic when colliding with them. If I were a pedestrian being run over by some soccer mom, talking on the phone, I'd much rather be hit by a Civic than by this monstrosity, where the impact would definately crush my chest. Not to mention that these cars are completely unsuitable for european city traffic because of their above standard measurements and most often being driven by women... You should get the point by now. Just because it's a Mercedes you don't need to defend it so eagerly. Opinion doesn't differ by brand.
    I'll take an Audi RS6 any day over this.

Well hows does the Cayenne sell so well? I don't know about the Amerian sales, but over here its used the same way like any other 4X4. Yet lets not bash it because its a Porsche. But oh if Mercedes makes a 500hp 4X4..."Oh heavens....lets get our panties in a a twist"

Civic or ML, at similar speeds of 40mph+, you're going to die regardless, thats beside the point. How stupid is it to judge a car's usefulness by predicting its pedestrian damage???

Yes a limo is much superior but why are all the X5/Range Rover/Cayenne/Touareg buyers in the UK at least buying these monsters? The Cayenne and the Range Rover, are all pushing 500/400hp, even the 350hp or so X5 is dangerous.

But lets not bash them shall we, because they're great cars, the Cayenne especially, but the ML....oh no no no no.....

FYI, this is not a personal attack or a blind brand defence of Mercedes, the sheer point of my posts is to stop these ludicrous arguments that people put forward on why this car is useless, and people are buying it !!!!!!!

If these cars are pointless, why are they selling in the UK by the shedload?

Well hows does the Cayenne sell so well? I don't know about the Amerian sales, but over here its used the same way like any other 4X4. Yet lets not bash it because its a Porsche. But oh if Mercedes makes a 500hp 4X4..."Oh heavens....lets get our panties in a a twist"

Civic or ML, at similar speeds of 40mph+, you're going to die regardless, thats beside the point. How stupid is it to judge a car's usefulness by predicting its pedestrian damage???

Yes a limo is much superior but why are all the X5/Range Rover/Cayenne/Touareg buyers in the UK at least buying these monsters? The Cayenne and the Range Rover, are all pushing 500/400hp, even the 350hp or so X5 is dangerous.

But lets not bash them shall we, because they're great cars, the Cayenne especially, but the ML....oh no no no no.....

FYI, this is not a personal attack or a blind brand defence of Mercedes, the sheer point of my posts is to stop these ludicrous arguments that people put forward on why this car is useless, and people are buying it !!!!!!!

Quote:
    Bilal said:

First off, I said that bashing wasn't dependent on the brand. I think the Cayenne is just as pointless as the ML. Surviving an impact at 40+ mph is possible, I have witnessed it with my own eyes. The guy was hurt pretty badly, but he stayed alive. If an SUV were to hit him, dead center in his torso at 40 mph, do you think he'd still be alive?
    Pertaining Range Rovers and X5s, YES, they are all dangerous. The ML, the X5, the Cayenne, the Q7 and the list goes on.
    The Cayenne certainly is a great car, so is the ML. But suitable? Not in my opinion.
    The cars are selling because it's become a fashion trend to have one. There is no end to human vanity. There is a difference though. We buy sports cars because we love to go fast on the straights and in the corners. SUVs on the other hand are pointless, except for a small number of people who actually use them on rough terrain. If I want to carry fie people in a powerful car I can buy an RS6 (or an E55, thank you). If I want loads of room I will buy a van. If I want to se the car for rough terrain I can buy an SUV. How many people, however, do actually use the capabilities of SUVs? Now I can understand that the Americans don't agree with me on this and hey, fine by me. If they have an army to support their oil habit, go ahead, it doesn't bother me. Europeans however should show a bit more prudence. Just my humble opinion.

Quote:
    Bilal said:

First off, I said that bashing wasn't dependent on the brand. I think the Cayenne is just as pointless as the ML. Surviving an impact at 40+ mph is possible, I have witnessed it with my own eyes. The guy was hurt pretty badly, but he stayed alive. If an SUV were to hit him, dead center in his torso at 40 mph, do you think he'd still be alive?
    Pertaining Range Rovers and X5s, YES, they are all dangerous. The ML, the X5, the Cayenne, the Q7 and the list goes on.
    The Cayenne certainly is a great car, so is the ML. But suitable? Not in my opinion.
    The cars are selling because it's become a fashion trend to have one. There is no end to human vanity. There is a difference though. We buy sports cars because we love to go fast on the straights and in the corners. SUVs on the other hand are pointless, except for a small number of people who actually use them on rough terrain. If I want to carry fie people in a powerful car I can buy an RS6 (or an E55, thank you). If I want loads of room I will buy a van. If I want to se the car for rough terrain I can buy an SUV. How many people, however, do actually use the capabilities of SUVs? Now I can understand that the Americans don't agree with me on this and hey, fine by me. If they have an army to support their oil habit, go ahead, it doesn't bother me. Europeans however should show a bit more prudence. Just my humble opinion.

Quote:
    Bilal said:

Before you started mouthing off, you should have made sure that you read my post carefully and understood it.

I am not an environmentalist. I don't have any personal grievance against Mercedes Benz. I don't like diesel cars.

I made fun of the fuel consumption of the ML63 AMG in light of the rising cost of petrol in the UK and the inevitability of future price rises caused by escalating demand in developing countries.

Learn to read.

NB: I won't be replying to anything you write.

Quote:
    Bilal said:

Before you started mouthing off, you should have made sure that you read my post carefully and understood it.

I am not an environmentalist. I don't have any personal grievance against Mercedes Benz. I don't like diesel cars.

I made fun of the fuel consumption of the ML63 AMG in light of the rising cost of petrol in the UK and the inevitability of future price rises caused by escalating demand in developing countries.

Learn to read.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Thanks for the favour

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM