Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

E55 Question

I'm considering an 05 E55 to replace my Audi S8 and would like to at least have LSD to maximize traction. I live in New York so I would put winter tires on it but without LSD it would be a problem especially compared to the Audi. I don't see LSD on the 05 option list in the states and I don't see it on the British Mercedes web site either. Does anyone know if LSD is available in the States.

Re: E55 Question

It is an option you can now get in Europe (not sure about the US). Certainly aftermarket from the AMG factory. I don't have it on mine but would definitely get it on a new car.

It is an option you can now get in Europe (not sure about the US). Certainly aftermarket from the AMG factory. I don't have it on mine but would definitely get it on a new car.

May want to chk w/guys who have '04 E55 to see if it is usable in NYC region in winter. Few yrs ago, when I lived in Manhattan, I used to (slowly) drive through snow w/E55 and CL55 (pre-500hp era)....without snow tires. Not sure if current 55s are consistently usable in hilly regions like Greenwich/Bedford in winter.

May want to chk w/guys who have '04 E55 to see if it is usable in NYC region in winter. Few yrs ago, when I lived in Manhattan, I used to (slowly) drive through snow w/E55 and CL55 (pre-500hp era)....without snow tires. Not sure if current 55s are consistently usable in hilly regions like Greenwich/Bedford in winter.

Quote:
    BG said:
    I'm considering an 05 E55 to replace my Audi S8 and would like to at least have LSD to maximize traction. I live in New York so I would put winter tires on it but without LSD it would be a problem especially compared to the Audi. I don't see LSD on the 05 option list in the states and I don't see it on the British Mercedes web site either. Does anyone know if LSD is available in the States.

As far as I know, the LSD is a Manufaktur option only.
    This means that you have to bring your car to AMG in Affalterbach/Germany and get it installed.
    Sorry but as far as I know, there is no other way.
    They do not send out the parts to other dealers and the install has to be done in Affalterbach.
    The LSD usually is sold in combination with a modified gearbox unit software but it isn't mandatory (just recommended).

Maybe you should get the new BMW M5, this would be the only real alternative I'm afraid.

Quote:
    BG said:

As far as I know, the LSD is a Manufaktur option only.
    This means that you have to bring your car to AMG in Affalterbach/Germany and get it installed.
    Sorry but as far as I know, there is no other way.
    They do not send out the parts to other dealers and the install has to be done in Affalterbach.
    The LSD usually is sold in combination with a modified gearbox unit software but it isn't mandatory (just recommended).

Maybe you should get the new BMW M5, this would be the only real alternative I'm afraid.

Does LSD (even if available) make high-torque cars like 55s driveable in snow/ice? Given M5 isn't due until Spr05 and not clear what rate of engine blowups will be (see RC's numerous warnings about BMW engine "issues") , may want to consider CayenneTurbo as most usable high-speed, all-weather transport for NYC region.

Does LSD (even if available) make high-torque cars like 55s driveable in snow/ice? Given M5 isn't due until Spr05 and not clear what rate of engine blowups will be (see RC's numerous warnings about BMW engine "issues") , may want to consider CayenneTurbo as most usable high-speed, all-weather transport for NYC region.

Thanks, It looks like LSD is not an option here. I'll check for people who have E55's here in NY and ask how driveable they are in winter. I don't like the looks of the new BMW M5. Specification wise it's a winner but I just hate the design.

Thanks, It looks like LSD is not an option here. I'll check for people who have E55's here in NY and ask how driveable they are in winter. I don't like the looks of the new BMW M5. Specification wise it's a winner but I just hate the design.

Quote:
    BG said:

For winter time, the Cayenne Turbo definetely is a winner. I even love it when it rains outside.

You don't like how the M5 looks? Maybe you should wait until the car shows up. I know the Bangle design isn't the best around but the 5-series looks much better than the 7-series and the X3.

Regarding E55 winter capabilities: I had traction problems on dry pavement without LSD and WITH LSD. Not to speak about wet pavement. Now guess what happens on snowy/icey roads...

Quote:
    BG said:

For winter time, the Cayenne Turbo definetely is a winner. I even love it when it rains outside.

You don't like how the M5 looks? Maybe you should wait until the car shows up. I know the Bangle design isn't the best around but the 5-series looks much better than the 7-series and the X3.

Regarding E55 winter capabilities: I had traction problems on dry pavement without LSD and WITH LSD. Not to speak about wet pavement. Now guess what happens on snowy/icey roads...

i agree, get a cayenne turbo, the E55 is plagued with problems, as RC, (now a CT owner) discovered...

RC tell him about your horrible experiences, and he won't buy that merc

i agree, get a cayenne turbo, the E55 is plagued with problems, as RC, (now a CT owner) discovered...

"Plagued with problems" might be a little strong. I have 8500 miles on my 2004 E55 and have had no problems at all. It is a wonderful car and, yes, I have driven a CT for a day and didn't like it at all. Drives like a powerful heavy SUV which is not at all what I wanted. I suggest you drive both and then decide. They are very different but I wouldn't worry about the "problems" with the E55 and by the way the CT hasn't exactly been without its issues.

"Plagued with problems" might be a little strong. I have 8500 miles on my 2004 E55 and have had no problems at all. It is a wonderful car and, yes, I have driven a CT for a day and didn't like it at all. Drives like a powerful heavy SUV which is not at all what I wanted. I suggest you drive both and then decide. They are very different but I wouldn't worry about the "problems" with the E55 and by the way the CT hasn't exactly been without its issues.

I'm getting similar positive datapoints on '04 55 reliability from several colleagues who own them (and who had migrated from less electrically robust '03 versions)....bulletproof reliability finally If BMW can actually build an M5 engine that doesn't blow up w/disturbing frequency (like its vaunted M3 engine), maybe it can even provide a competitor to E55 ...but I guess Bimmer is too busy making sure its cars are the prettiest to worry about engines....

I'm getting similar positive datapoints on '04 55 reliability from several colleagues who own them (and who had migrated from less electrically robust '03 versions)....bulletproof reliability finally If BMW can actually build an M5 engine that doesn't blow up w/disturbing frequency (like its vaunted M3 engine), maybe it can even provide a competitor to E55 ...but I guess Bimmer is too busy making sure its cars are the prettiest to worry about engines....

Quote:
    Jerry said:

My E55 spent almost every week in the repair shop. Bad luck? Maybe.
    My Cayenne Turbo has now 8000 km and hasn't been even once to the repair shop.

Driving like a powerful heavy SUV? This is the first feel you get when you drive it. But try to forget about it's weight and drive it hard, you'll be surprised. The perfect traction allows me doing things with this "truck" which I couldn't even dream of in my E55. I really loved my E55 (read my first reports) but the little flaws and the absolutely unacceptable traction problems drove me back to Porsche.

Quote:
    Jerry said:

My E55 spent almost every week in the repair shop. Bad luck? Maybe.
    My Cayenne Turbo has now 8000 km and hasn't been even once to the repair shop.

Driving like a powerful heavy SUV? This is the first feel you get when you drive it. But try to forget about it's weight and drive it hard, you'll be surprised. The perfect traction allows me doing things with this "truck" which I couldn't even dream of in my E55. I really loved my E55 (read my first reports) but the little flaws and the absolutely unacceptable traction problems drove me back to Porsche.

I have had two e-55's last generation, a c43 and a c32. I am also considering a CT as well.

I also have had 986 with a 996 engine (3.4) and a C-4 Cab.

In my research regarding the CT there have been, stateside a lot of problems with the electronics this according to different service managers that I know and have tracked problems.

With the E-55 as with all the amg cars I have owned I think either you get a good one and nothing goes wrong or they have strange problems (one of my amg cars was built with the wrong steering column and they had to replace the whole car)

On the other hand, all of my porsches are like warranty queens I don't even want to get into all the things replaced.

So I guess buy whatever you like driving better. I drove my AMG cars in the snow anyway

I have had two e-55's last generation, a c43 and a c32. I am also considering a CT as well.

I also have had 986 with a 996 engine (3.4) and a C-4 Cab.

In my research regarding the CT there have been, stateside a lot of problems with the electronics this according to different service managers that I know and have tracked problems.

With the E-55 as with all the amg cars I have owned I think either you get a good one and nothing goes wrong or they have strange problems (one of my amg cars was built with the wrong steering column and they had to replace the whole car)

On the other hand, all of my porsches are like warranty queens I don't even want to get into all the things replaced.

So I guess buy whatever you like driving better. I drove my AMG cars in the snow anyway

Quote:
    mr.clean said:
    (one of my amg cars was built with the wrong steering column and they had to replace the whole car)

very shocking, how was it discovered?

Quote:
    mr.clean said:
    (one of my amg cars was built with the wrong steering column and they had to replace the whole car)

very shocking, how was it discovered?

Quote:
    Moogle said:

Mine was one of the first out of the factory and has been extremly reliable (far more than the BMW E46 M3). Let's all be careful about extrapolating from a data set of one...Plenty of people have horror stories with Porsche's as well, that doesn't make the entire marque suspect.

Quote:
    Moogle said:

Mine was one of the first out of the factory and has been extremly reliable (far more than the BMW E46 M3). Let's all be careful about extrapolating from a data set of one...Plenty of people have horror stories with Porsche's as well, that doesn't make the entire marque suspect.

We already have 1 SUV (04 Range Rover) and I don't want 2 SUV's. I drove the Porsche TT Cayenne and liked it alot but I want a sedan. The Audi RS6 looked interesting but now I hear that there is no timeline for making the RS6 in the new A6 design and I don't want the old version. I heard a rumor that the E55 might be made in a 4- matic version but that appears not to be true. Maybe I'll wait to see the new M5 in person, thanks for all the input.

We already have 1 SUV (04 Range Rover) and I don't want 2 SUV's. I drove the Porsche TT Cayenne and liked it alot but I want a sedan. The Audi RS6 looked interesting but now I hear that there is no timeline for making the RS6 in the new A6 design and I don't want the old version. I heard a rumor that the E55 might be made in a 4- matic version but that appears not to be true. Maybe I'll wait to see the new M5 in person, thanks for all the input.

Quote:
    JasonC said:

The thing is: I heard from many sources that I wasn't the only one with problems. And it is no secret that Mercedes had a lot of electronics trouble lately.
    I also was disappointed with how Mercedes handled my complaints: the mechanic was great (as always, this guy is worth gold!) but the feedback from the factory was always... When they suggested to install a new improved steering system, available a few months later, I quit, I said good-bye to my E55. I expected them to take back the car and my salesperson actually agreed and promised to put things on their way but nothing really happened. Guess what, I wanted to go for that nice SL55 AMG Performance Package car in their show because my wife told me to go for a sportscar again but apparently my salesman was too dumb (as always) to understand that I was pretty serious about getting rid of my E55. When he saw me in my Cayenne Turbo lately, his chin fell down right away, he couldn't say a word.

Now I'm happy I didn't go for that SL55. I'm happy with my Cayenne Turbo (well, not fully but you can't have it all I guess) and sooner or later I'll own a sports car again.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753485 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430922 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258690 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255536 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79578 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868486 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802132 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM