Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

sport auto: E55T vs. RS 6 Plus Avant

The latest sport auto issue contains a comparison of the new RS6 Plus vs. the E55 touring. In summary, the E55 is described as the more comfortable tourer while the Audi is said to be the sportier car.

Some key statistics from the test: RS6 plus (E55T)

0-100: 4.9 (4.9)
    0-160: 10.7 (10.4)
    0-200: 17.8 (15.6)

100-0 cold: 39.2 (39.0)
    100-0 warm: 38.6 (40.7)
    200-0 warm: 151m (152.8m)

Hockenheim track: 1.174 (1.185)

Average fuel consumption 19.5l/100km (17.4)

Test weight: 1984kg (2046)

Re: sport auto: E55T vs. RS 6 Plus Avant

Boy... the new M5 is going to just kill these two... better engine, better weight, better tranny, better handling...

Boy... the new M5 is going to just kill these two... better engine, better weight, better tranny, better handling...

However, the M5 will not be available as a station wagon

However, the M5 will not be available as a station wagon

I see, if one needs the extra space then the M5 does fall behind

Wonder why they don't make a M5-touring?

I see, if one needs the extra space then the M5 does fall behind

Wonder why they don't make a M5-touring?

I also think that a touring version of the M5 would be a great offering.

I also think that a touring version of the M5 would be a great offering.

If I'm in the need of "space" I'd go for one of those M5touring before any SUV... much much lighter, faster, sportier handling, safer, ect. The only reason I'd go for a SUV is if I needed seriuos off-roading capabilities.

If I'm in the need of "space" I'd go for one of those M5touring before any SUV... much much lighter, faster, sportier handling, safer, ect. The only reason I'd go for a SUV is if I needed seriuos off-roading capabilities.

Sport Auto C55 Nring time?

Has the C55 been recently tested doing the Nring in 8.22? Same time as M3 ? Just wanted to confim..

Sport Auto C55 Nring time?

Has the C55 been recently tested doing the Nring in 8.22? Same time as M3 ? Just wanted to confim..

That's correct.

Key metrics are:

0-100: 5.3
    0-160: 11.7
    0-200: 18.3

100-0 cold: 37.5m
    100-0 warm: 36.7m
    200-0 warm: 149.7m

test weight: 1680 kg

average fuel consumption: 14.7 l/100km

N-Ring: 8:22 (same as M3)
    Hockenheim: 1.186 (M3: 1.163)

That's correct.

Key metrics are:

0-100: 5.3
    0-160: 11.7
    0-200: 18.3

100-0 cold: 37.5m
    100-0 warm: 36.7m
    200-0 warm: 149.7m

test weight: 1680 kg

average fuel consumption: 14.7 l/100km

N-Ring: 8:22 (same as M3)
    Hockenheim: 1.186 (M3: 1.163)

Thank you for confirming. Although the purists will suffice to say, concentrate on the Hockenheim time as it has more bends, but I think to be 13 seconds faster than the C32 and match the "king" on the Nordschliefe is a big achievement.

Go AMG!

Thank you for confirming. Although the purists will suffice to say, concentrate on the Hockenheim time as it has more bends, but I think to be 13 seconds faster than the C32 and match the "king" on the Nordschliefe is a big achievement.

Go AMG!

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:

Safer? My wife just succeeded in kicking a VW Passat with our ML55 from behind, half of the front of the ML55 is destroyed but you should see the Passat's rear. OUCH.
    Our 9 month old son was sleeping next to her, he even didn't wake up when she hit the VW!

Now regarding station wagons: what about interior space and luggage room? Sorry to use this example again...changing diapers in a SUV is much more comfy. And when it rains or snows outside, the 4WD is a treat and you can forget any station wagon out there, maybe with the exception of the Audi.
    And a last point: the M5 has a 250 kph limited top speed and due to the fact that BMW really develops their cars only to this speed or slightly over to save part and development cost, it makes it pretty dangerous to remove the limit.
    And a very last point (which isn't really important): me and my wife hate station wagons. A station wagon really seems to be a baby express, life ends, you get a station wagon. Same with Minivans, not our kind of car.
    But as always...to each his own.

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:

Safer? My wife just succeeded in kicking a VW Passat with our ML55 from behind, half of the front of the ML55 is destroyed but you should see the Passat's rear. OUCH.
    Our 9 month old son was sleeping next to her, he even didn't wake up when she hit the VW!

Now regarding station wagons: what about interior space and luggage room? Sorry to use this example again...changing diapers in a SUV is much more comfy. And when it rains or snows outside, the 4WD is a treat and you can forget any station wagon out there, maybe with the exception of the Audi.
    And a last point: the M5 has a 250 kph limited top speed and due to the fact that BMW really develops their cars only to this speed or slightly over to save part and development cost, it makes it pretty dangerous to remove the limit.
    And a very last point (which isn't really important): me and my wife hate station wagons. A station wagon really seems to be a baby express, life ends, you get a station wagon. Same with Minivans, not our kind of car.
    But as always...to each his own.

When I mean safer I'm talking about active safety which is more important than passive safety, its better to be able to avoid an accident than to crash and try to make best of the situation. Thats why sportcars are safer cars than trucks for example. In general, station wagons are much like cars so perform like cars in active safety vs the 2 ton + high off the ground SUV's. Also in general, as to passive safety, SUV's have been proven to have higher death rates as well. Of course you can choose the best SUV and compare it to the average station wagon, but thats not in general.

As to space, you would be surprised how spacy station wagons can be, and about changing diapers inside the car/SUV, thats is not going to make me buy the vehicle I don't want just because its a bit more difficult to change a diaper

As to the station wagon image that is true, specially the minivans but the SUV trend are not that much better, at least in my eyes, but in this case it depends on the use the owners give the SUV.

When I mean safer I'm talking about active safety which is more important than passive safety, its better to be able to avoid an accident than to crash and try to make best of the situation. Thats why sportcars are safer cars than trucks for example. In general, station wagons are much like cars so perform like cars in active safety vs the 2 ton + high off the ground SUV's. Also in general, as to passive safety, SUV's have been proven to have higher death rates as well. Of course you can choose the best SUV and compare it to the average station wagon, but thats not in general.

As to space, you would be surprised how spacy station wagons can be, and about changing diapers inside the car/SUV, thats is not going to make me buy the vehicle I don't want just because its a bit more difficult to change a diaper

As to the station wagon image that is true, specially the minivans but the SUV trend are not that much better, at least in my eyes, but in this case it depends on the use the owners give the SUV.

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:

I had a E500 T loaner, we hated it. I drive a SUV because I need the extra room, I need the safety of the heavy body (there is no real study with modern SUVs, most negative studies were done with older models, mostly from the US) and the fact that the passengers are sitting higher, I love how SUVs can be driven in rain and when it is snowing and of course I love some power too.
    My wife can stretch out her legs completely and our girl in the rear has still plenty of room left. Try this with the E 500 T.
    Not to speak about the head room and the height(!) of the luggage compartment.
    If I need a sportscar, I buy a real one. Or would you drive in your station wagon to the track?

I don't know how many kids you have Carlos but with two kids, a station wagon is hell.
    Oh, I also forgot to mention: we also need the SUV for some trips to Eastern Europe from time to time. Bad streets or stones and other stuff lying on the street is pretty common there. With a station wagon, I wouldn't "survive" too long.
    And even on our last trip to Italy, the SUV came in handy. Despite the fact that we were able to pass a horrible accident scene as the ONLY car because I was able to raise the suspension and drive over a "concrete traffic island" in the middle of the intersection, we had heavy rain in Austria when we returned back from Italy. At some point we had to drive under a bridge but the street was covered with water, apparently not very high because a truck passed through the water on the other lane and I saw how high the water was.
    Anyway...with a car, no chance to go through, many cars turned around. I raised my Cayenne to full special off-road setting and drove slowly through the water. No problem at all.
    Just a few examples of how a SUV can make your daily driving safer but apparently the anti-SUV hype in the US has come here to Europe too. I have only one single complaint: fuel consumption.

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:

I had a E500 T loaner, we hated it. I drive a SUV because I need the extra room, I need the safety of the heavy body (there is no real study with modern SUVs, most negative studies were done with older models, mostly from the US) and the fact that the passengers are sitting higher, I love how SUVs can be driven in rain and when it is snowing and of course I love some power too.
    My wife can stretch out her legs completely and our girl in the rear has still plenty of room left. Try this with the E 500 T.
    Not to speak about the head room and the height(!) of the luggage compartment.
    If I need a sportscar, I buy a real one. Or would you drive in your station wagon to the track?

I don't know how many kids you have Carlos but with two kids, a station wagon is hell.
    Oh, I also forgot to mention: we also need the SUV for some trips to Eastern Europe from time to time. Bad streets or stones and other stuff lying on the street is pretty common there. With a station wagon, I wouldn't "survive" too long.
    And even on our last trip to Italy, the SUV came in handy. Despite the fact that we were able to pass a horrible accident scene as the ONLY car because I was able to raise the suspension and drive over a "concrete traffic island" in the middle of the intersection, we had heavy rain in Austria when we returned back from Italy. At some point we had to drive under a bridge but the street was covered with water, apparently not very high because a truck passed through the water on the other lane and I saw how high the water was.
    Anyway...with a car, no chance to go through, many cars turned around. I raised my Cayenne to full special off-road setting and drove slowly through the water. No problem at all.
    Just a few examples of how a SUV can make your daily driving safer but apparently the anti-SUV hype in the US has come here to Europe too. I have only one single complaint: fuel consumption.

I could go on for ever why I'd preffer a station wagon like an M5 touring that I mentioned vs a SUV, but since it comes down to personal views and preferences I think its pointless.

As to the anti-SUV hype, I'm not a sheep and don't follow hypes like a herd RC. I started not to like off roaders long before even the SUV concept was invented by marketing deparments of the american makers, back when they were decafinated 4x4's and people started buying them for use as a "car" for moms to go groccery shopping and not for what they were meant to. And the owners just loved how they were so heavy and high that if they got into an accident, more chances caused by them since they were so bad at active safety, they'd cream the people on the other vehicles or pedestrians. And personally I'd hate how they would block for ever that left lane with those slow vehicles and block all view from behind. But don't take it personally RC, I'm speaking in general and not about especific models, a Cayenne can be as fast as any other car in the highway, but most SUV's & 4x4's out there are poor handling diesel tanks, also I'm speaking of Europe, US is different world. I have friends that go off roading with their SUV or 4x4, or have a pick up truck for carring their bike and other equipment, etc and that is perfectly OK and nothing wrong with that, or look at GM Austin's beautiful off roading adventures, thats great!. But for everyone of those I know 10 people who say "I wan't a big tall heavy car that makes me feel safe, that also looks cool for my... commute to work" and all of a sudden there are not "cars" in the streets with ocasional purpose oriented vehicles anymore, its all more full of large, slow & dangerous vehicles, which makes the "streets" for us sportcar enthusiasts a more dangerous place, besides a slower-moving place.

I could go on for ever why I'd preffer a station wagon like an M5 touring that I mentioned vs a SUV, but since it comes down to personal views and preferences I think its pointless.

As to the anti-SUV hype, I'm not a sheep and don't follow hypes like a herd RC. I started not to like off roaders long before even the SUV concept was invented by marketing deparments of the american makers, back when they were decafinated 4x4's and people started buying them for use as a "car" for moms to go groccery shopping and not for what they were meant to. And the owners just loved how they were so heavy and high that if they got into an accident, more chances caused by them since they were so bad at active safety, they'd cream the people on the other vehicles or pedestrians. And personally I'd hate how they would block for ever that left lane with those slow vehicles and block all view from behind. But don't take it personally RC, I'm speaking in general and not about especific models, a Cayenne can be as fast as any other car in the highway, but most SUV's & 4x4's out there are poor handling diesel tanks, also I'm speaking of Europe, US is different world. I have friends that go off roading with their SUV or 4x4, or have a pick up truck for carring their bike and other equipment, etc and that is perfectly OK and nothing wrong with that, or look at GM Austin's beautiful off roading adventures, thats great!. But for everyone of those I know 10 people who say "I wan't a big tall heavy car that makes me feel safe, that also looks cool for my... commute to work" and all of a sudden there are not "cars" in the streets with ocasional purpose oriented vehicles anymore, its all more full of large, slow & dangerous vehicles, which makes the "streets" for us sportcar enthusiasts a more dangerous place, besides a slower-moving place.

BTW RC, whats that constant referal to the "diaper thing" with Cayenne owners? (I posted this already but I though it was a real cool add by Porsche)

BTW RC, whats that constant referal to the "diaper thing" with Cayenne owners? (I posted this already but I though it was a real cool add by Porsche)

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    The latest sport auto issue contains a comparison of the new RS6 Plus vs. the E55 touring. In summary, the E55 is described as the more comfortable tourer while the Audi is said to be the sportier car.

Hummmmm .......how can the Audi have more claimed power, less weight and even so, it's slower than the Benz?????
    I think those Audi engines need to go the shop for a check up.

J.Seven

Quote:
    MKSGR said:

Hummmmm .......how can the Audi have more claimed power, less weight and even so, it's slower than the Benz?????
    I think those Audi engines need to go the shop for a check up.

J.Seven

Maybe the different level of torque (560NM or so for the Audi vs. 700NM for the E55) may also be part of the explanation.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM