Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Carrera GTS models

If you want cheap and good sound then go for the best sound. A Shelby gt350 with the awesome voodoo motor.  Best 70k and likely to keep its value nicely. 

Leawood911:

If you want cheap and good sound then go for the best sound. A Shelby gt350 with the awesome voodoo motor.  Best 70k and likely to keep its value nicely. 

It isn't about being cheap but pragmatically looking at value proposition of the Audi versus the Porsche.  Unless one spends time at the track, the similarities between the two is staggering.  Technology-wise the Audi is probably ahead of the Porsche and that shouldn't be the case at its price point. 

Porsche needs to step up its game. 

Fully disagree.

While new TT RS is a great small car in isolation that provides a lot for the money it is not even close to Carrera GTS.

Straight line? 2s slower then Carrera GTS in 0-200km/h. Another 2s slower on Hockenheim Klein Kurs (GTS on normal P Zero and TT RS on Cup). On the Ring difference would be at least 15s. 

And these are the measurements only... In what counts for most of us so called driver "feel" Carrera GTS is light years ahead of TT RS. 

Sound is pretty personal point of view since TT RS is farting far more then Carrera GTS.

Only price wise TT RS wins. But, someone interested in Carrera GTS would never consider TT RS as alternative.  

+1 not even talking space.....

noone1:
    BjoernB:

...but part of owning a "sportscar" is pure Sound isn't it ? Nobody here makes Money or feels better with "being faster" than a previous model etc - I think companies underestimate how important it is for the older Generation. Maybe a 18 year old has different priorities These days....

Not for me. I listen to music or talk to the passenger.  Buy for looks mainly.

A lot of people born today maybe never even drive.

Seriously? I drive my sportscars for fun only, no desire to listen to music or talk to the passenger. Smiley Smiley Actually, I usually prefer to drive alone because I drive in a more spirited Smiley way when I'm alone. When I take one of the kids or my wife, I usually talk to them and I drive completely differently.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

KresoF1:

Fully disagree.

While new TT RS is a great small car in isolation that provides a lot for the money it is not even close to Carrera GTS.

Straight line? 2s slower then Carrera GTS in 0-200km/h. Another 2s slower on Hockenheim Klein Kurs (GTS on normal P Zero and TT RS on Cup). On the Ring difference would be at least 15s. 

And these are the measurements only... In what counts for most of us so called driver "feel" Carrera GTS is light years ahead of TT RS. 

Sound is pretty personal point of view since TT RS is farting far more then Carrera GTS.

Only price wise TT RS wins. But, someone interested in Carrera GTS would never consider TT RS as alternative.  

The TT RS is a 718 S competitor, not a GTS competitor. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

KresoF1:

Fully disagree.

Completely agree, to me a TT would not deliver 90% of the experience of a GTS, at most 50% which is what it costs, I would never consider  a TT RS as an alternative, its apples to oranges to me. Its not a bad car, just saying that its not an alternative to a 911 by any reasonable stretch of the imagination to me.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

RC:
    noone1:
    BjoernB:

...but part of owning a "sportscar" is pure Sound isn't it ? Nobody here makes Money or feels better with "being faster" than a previous model etc - I think companies underestimate how important it is for the older Generation. Maybe a 18 year old has different priorities These days....

Seriously? I drive my sportscars for fun only, no desire to listen to music or talk to the passenger. Smiley Smiley Actually, I usually prefer to drive alone because I drive in a more spirited Smiley way when I'm alone. When I take one of the kids or my wife, I usually talk to them and I drive completely differently.

Same here, looks is secondary, how it drives is primary, I guess it has to to with the fact that some people like us actually enjoy driving though I know that is something less and less common.

--

spend a bit more and get a new low spec R8 V10 or a used R8 V10 Plus

sfo:

spend a bit more and get a new low spec R8 V10 or a used R8 V10 Plus

The truth is (since I own both, the 991.1 C4 GTS Cab and the new R8 V10 Plus): These are two completely different cars. The 911 is for those who need a less "in your face" approach to a sportscar and maybe even the rear seats (or the rear space...we transported two large Samsonite luggage pieces in the rear of the GTS Cab, you can easily store them in the back with the top open). The R8 is an exotic, like it or not and not everyone can "afford" driving such a car. In Germany, the 911 has established itself as a business car for upper management, a R8 would be impossible as a business car. They also drive and feel differently, I am actually glad I own both (and luckily the 911 GTS in convertible flavor, which makes it perfect for me and my wife).

--

/\ if you had to sell one, which one?

sfo:

That will never happenSmiley

...Until this spring when he visits a dealer and begins the process of teasing us again.

sfo:

Both are leases...so... Smiley

I would sell the GTS but my wife would kill me instantly (she loves this car).

Don't get me wrong, I love the GTS but the R8 plays in a different (performance and emotions) league. Also, my dream car since I was a little boy was always a Lamborghini and the R8 is probably the closest thing I will get to one (unless I miraculously make tons of money and move to Miami Smiley).

--

RC:
    sfo:

Don't get me wrong, I love the GTS but the R8 plays in a different (performance and emotions) league. Also, my dream car since I was a little boy was always a Lamborghini and the R8 is probably the closest thing I will get to one (unless I miraculously make tons of money and move to Miami Smiley).

--

I don’t get it.

You are the super role model “Petrolhead”

Your family runs a 991, a R8 and a Cayenne (and exchange the cars every 12-18month)

Your dreamcar is a Lamborghini

Make your dream come true and order/buy/lease (!) a Huracan. Triple black black to calm down your funny neighbourhood.

But stop telling us every week “can’t afford” and cry because of you neighbours anymore. A Huracan is half the fun when you suffer from speed limits and the streets look like a drag strip

The R8 is perfect for me: Low lease/maintenance cost and a low profile (compared to a Lamborghini) but it feels and drives like a Huracan. Actually, I am very happy with the car. It is still parked in a normal garage with many other cars there, no scratches, neighbors there are nice and people talk very positively about he car (from what I heard from our neighborhood gossip queen indecision angry). What do I want more?! 

Seriously: The R8 is really easy to maintain, insurance cost is also low, I have winter tires on the car, it is perfect for me. No need to get a Huracan...for now. 

--

Itsme:
    RC:
    sfo:

--

I don’t get it.

You are the super role model “Petrolhead”

Your family runs a 991, a R8 and a Cayenne (and exchange the cars every 12-18month)

Your dreamcar is a Lamborghini

Make your dream come true and order/buy/lease (!) a Huracan. Triple black black to calm down your funny neighbourhood.

But stop telling us every week “can’t afford” and cry because of you neighbours anymore. A Huracan is half the fun when you suffer from speed limits and the streets look like a drag strip

+1

Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Carlos from Spain:
    RC:
    noone1:
    BjoernB:

Same here, looks is secondary, how it drives is primary, I guess it has to to with the fact that some people like us actually enjoy driving though I know that is something less and less common.

I just look at where my miles mainly go. I like driving just as much as the next guy, but my daily life is not back round and mountain passes. It's regular errands and routine.

If I just wanted an involving car for spirited driving, I wouldn't by buying any modern car. Waste of money. None of them are even manuals any more. Better off buying an cheap 997.1 GT3 than a new RS when it comes to just spirited driving, or a manual first gen R8 instead of the new one.

Hey RC. Any news on the new/facelift 991 GTS standard//PSE exhaust or it´s basically the same things as on the regular Carrera´s?

--

This is the way this post ends, not with a bang but with a wisper, WOSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

noone1:
    Carlos from Spain:
    RC:
    noone1:
    BjoernB:

I just look at where my miles mainly go. I like driving just as much as the next guy, but my daily life is not back round and mountain passes. It's regular errands and routine.

That makes total sense, when you are buying the family car, but we are talking about sportscars, these made are to enjoy driving them, even in normal daily driving, hence the comment above on how sound is so important on them.

--

Some people like to run errands in a boring car. I like to do it in a 918, or a Huracan, or if I need more room I take the Ferraris, or if I need to carry more I take the Cayenne Turbo S, and finally if I really need to haul something I take the minivan.

--

I can't afford to have so many (and so nice) cars, not that I'm complaining.  I don't buy any car that isn't primarily for driving (haven't owned an automatic for decades) and if I need to carry something big I rent a truck for $19 per hour at Home Depot...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Carlos from Spain:

noone1:
    Carlos from Spain:
    RC:
    noone1:
    BjoernB:

That makes total sense, when you are buying the family car, but we are talking about sportscars, these made are to enjoy driving them, even in normal daily driving, hence the comment above on how sound is so important on them.

--

In my experience, once you start using them daily, all that stuff is out of mind. I've found the the best aspects of sports car/exotic car ownership is the search and the delivery. It's all downhill after that. Just becomes a car after that. If I could afford it, I'd have 50 different cool cars and drive each only 1 week per year to keep things fresh.

Well, my experience is different, maybe that's we differ in opinion.

It can be a daily and still enjoy driving it, in fact that is the reason I make it my daily, otherwise I'd drive a people mover, but in my case that would make me miserable, because I enjoy driving.

Of course if I could afford it I would have many different cars like Nick, its that many more to enjoy driving! and would use them as daily cars like him. But if its a sportscar that you like, and you like driving, you want to use it daily, whether it's one or fifty. The alternative is to waste your life on a people mover...

--

RC:
    noone1:
    BjoernB:

Sounds like me. Are we the only people who just out and drive for fun?  

Leawood911:
    RC:
    noone1:
    BjoernB:

Sounds like me. Are we the only people who just out and drive for fun?  

Most certainly not  - there are many of us on this board.

Depends where you live. As you can imagine, if you live in the suburbs of the US or a major city, there aren't exactly a ton of opportunities for just enjoying a drive.

Europe is different. Not so simple with the urban sprawl of the US. It's not that easy to escape this. Can't say I usually feel like spending an hour just looking for a road in the middle of nowhere that takes me nowhere. At least an hour or two in Europe can take you to a completely different country. 2 hours in the US will usually take you nowhere you'd ever want to go. 3 hours drive could take you through the Alps into Switzerland, Austria, Italy, and France. 3 hours from my place in the US would take me to essentially the same looking neighborhood, just 3 hours away.

Whoopsy:

Some people like to run errands in a boring car. I like to do it in a 918, or a Huracan, or if I need more room I take the Ferraris, or if I need to carry more I take the Cayenne Turbo S, and finally if I really need to haul something I take the minivan.

Sorry, first I fully agreed with you but then, you lost me with the Minivan. Smiley

I hate Minivans, even more than the Smart or the VW   Beetle (new model). Smiley

Probably one reason I do not like the Tesla Model X...it looks like a Minivan and not a SUV. Smiley

--

noone1:

Depends where you live. As you can imagine, if you live in the suburbs of the US or a major city, there aren't exactly a ton of opportunities for just enjoying a drive.

Europe is different. Not so simple with the urban sprawl of the US. It's not that easy to escape this. Can't say I usually feel like spending an hour just looking for a road in the middle of nowhere that takes me nowhere. At least an hour or two in Europe can take you to a completely different country. 2 hours in the US will usually take you nowhere you'd ever want to go. 3 hours drive could take you through the Alps into Switzerland, Austria, Italy, and France. 3 hours from my place in the US would take me to essentially the same looking neighborhood, just 3 hours away.

I agree with you, in the US it is more difficult to find a place to enjoy driving a sportscar. Probably one reason I would prefer to live somewhere in California, Nevada, Arizona or Utah instead of (flat) Florida. Florida can be fun though as well if you know the roads. Found some nice country roads, most of them not very curvy but still, enjoyable if you really want to be alone and enjoy a nice ride.

--

I'm fortunate as I live 60 miles north of New York City and have found some great country roads for a spirited drive. Plus I am only an hour from Lime Rock race track which will open up again in March for my track fix..

--

2014 Porsche 991 C4S Black with Sports Design Package,  2013 Porsche Cayenne Dark Blue Metallic, New York

bobr:

I'm fortunate as I live 60 miles north of New York City and have found some great country roads for a spirited drive. Plus I am only an hour from Lime Rock race track which will open up again in March for my track fix..

Good roads and track in Denver too...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690763 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409944 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256128 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235362 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65732 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858687 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774911 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM