Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: E55 vs 996Turbo

Quote:
    Quote:
    im not comparising 996turbo and e55. 996turbo is ABSOLUTELY better car for me, i have kids and porsche is just a dream.

I have two kids now, one reason why I sold my Turbo.
    Having a "dream" standing in the garage and not being able to drive it isn't a nice dream. So I sold it and I sometimes regret it and get sad when I think about it.
    The E55 is a wonderful piece of machine, it provides the perfect combo of family limousine, sports car (by a certain definition) and toy but there is no comparison to the 996 Turbo. I'm talking about feelings and emotions, the 996 Turbo has soul, charisma, something special I can't describe.
    When I testdrove the 996 Turbo with 450 HP powerkit and X73 sport suspension last Monday, I felt that "special feeling" in my stomach again. I'm a sports car junky and I can't help it. And please don't laugh: I enjoy my CLK55 AMG loaner much more than my E55. Which reminds me of one thing I really don't understand: why doesn't AMG offer the CLK55 with the supercharged V8? It would be the hell of a car.

my loaner is Smart. could we believe it? i dont want to..my car has the same "electrical problem" as before. ECU change fixed my car, just a couple days. FULL wireharness is coming, if that doesnt help, MB gives a new car. SL600 with good options is a way to go

Quote:
    Quote:
    The E55 is almost the perfect combo of a family car, daily driver, high power limousine and performance sports car but it is not what I personally would call a true sports car, ........

BTW: the 996 Turbo with Tiptronic stands no chance against the E55, in no speed range. I referred to the 996 Turbo with 6-speed manual transmission.

It is all about making compromizes. The E55 is aimed at a certain market where it does very well. I think I am in that market. I will not race with it. I will use it for things most people use a car for and feel exhilirated when I am able ot accelerate and feel the torque. I don't plan to blow anyone away!

I am only spending $20K for this [price of E55 minus price of E500] and I hope when I am not accelerating I am getting a luxury sedan in the Mercedes-Lexus class. The 20K for that little extra is worth it.

I drove a friend's E420 over the weekend. I liked the feel of the suspension. I hope the E55 has a similar feel. Over a 500 mile drive, I don't think I could handle the harsh suspensions I used to enjoy when I was younger. Too unpleasant on my back. If the car gives me the accelration it promises and lets me take a highway ramp without slowing down below 60 and when I reach my destination I can do whatever I went for without having to do stretching execises, I am happy.

I hope I am taking the right decision.

Quote:
    Quote:
    The E55 is almost the perfect combo of a family car, daily driver, high power limousine and performance sports car but it is not what I personally would call a true sports car, ........

BTW: the 996 Turbo with Tiptronic stands no chance against the E55, in no speed range. I referred to the 996 Turbo with 6-speed manual transmission.

It is all about making compromizes. The E55 is aimed at a certain market where it does very well. I think I am in that market. I will not race with it. I will use it for things most people use a car for and feel exhilirated when I am able ot accelerate and feel the torque. I don't plan to blow anyone away!

I am only spending $20K for this [price of E55 minus price of E500] and I hope when I am not accelerating I am getting a luxury sedan in the Mercedes-Lexus class. The 20K for that little extra is worth it.

I drove a friend's E420 over the weekend. I liked the feel of the suspension. I hope the E55 has a similar feel. Over a 500 mile drive, I don't think I could handle the harsh suspensions I used to enjoy when I was younger. Too unpleasant on my back. If the car gives me the accelration it promises and lets me take a highway ramp without slowing down below 60 and when I reach my destination I can do whatever I went for without having to do stretching execises, I am happy.

I hope I am taking the right decision.

RC -

Can you explain why you like the CLK55 over the E55?

I am looking to trade in my 996C4 Cab for one of the above. I like the cab of course, but having driven the new CLK55, I found it to be unimpressive...quick yes, but too much body lean, disconnected driving sensation, abrupt shifting at times and not as smooth overall as I expected from a new MB. I am scheduled to test drive a new E55 when it comes in to the dealer next week.

Perhaps I am spoiled on the 911's handling but like a few on this board, the kids, the road conditions etc. have led me to conclude it may be time for a mercedes for now.

Thanks,

Joe

RC -

Can you explain why you like the CLK55 over the E55?

I am looking to trade in my 996C4 Cab for one of the above. I like the cab of course, but having driven the new CLK55, I found it to be unimpressive...quick yes, but too much body lean, disconnected driving sensation, abrupt shifting at times and not as smooth overall as I expected from a new MB. I am scheduled to test drive a new E55 when it comes in to the dealer next week.

Perhaps I am spoiled on the 911's handling but like a few on this board, the kids, the road conditions etc. have led me to conclude it may be time for a mercedes for now.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe, you won't be happy switching from a C4 Cab to a CLK55.
    The E55 feels less sporty (regarding the suspension) but much more powerful (no wonder ) compared to the CLK55.
    I liked the CLK55 very much because it feels lighter, steering-in in curves is much better, it feels more directly attached to the street and I'm sure that a good coilover kit could do wonders on the CLK55. Add the AMG limited slip differential to the CLK55 (yes, even the CLK55 has traction problems ) and you have a very nice car.
    But may I ask a stupid question? Why would you want to trade a C4 Cab for a CLK55? If you need more room for the family, including some impressive luggage space in the rear trunk, the E55 is the car to go with. Otherwise you should stick with your C4 Cab or get a 911 Coupe instead.
    Also: ever thought about the Cayenne Turbo?

Joe, you won't be happy switching from a C4 Cab to a CLK55.
    The E55 feels less sporty (regarding the suspension) but much more powerful (no wonder ) compared to the CLK55.
    I liked the CLK55 very much because it feels lighter, steering-in in curves is much better, it feels more directly attached to the street and I'm sure that a good coilover kit could do wonders on the CLK55. Add the AMG limited slip differential to the CLK55 (yes, even the CLK55 has traction problems ) and you have a very nice car.
    But may I ask a stupid question? Why would you want to trade a C4 Cab for a CLK55? If you need more room for the family, including some impressive luggage space in the rear trunk, the E55 is the car to go with. Otherwise you should stick with your C4 Cab or get a 911 Coupe instead.
    Also: ever thought about the Cayenne Turbo?

Thanks RC.

Well, I have thought about the Cayenne, but I already have an SUV (which I do not even use all that much) as well as a minivan (4 kids). I really am looking to get a nice sedan with some sport to it. I also have a highly modified Subaru WRX I use for fun and parking in places I do not want to leave the 996.

Basically, I am planning to replace the 996 with the E55 and the US Lotus Elise. Have been pushing off my 996TT Cab allocation for a few months already until I decide which way to go. Personally, I think it would be overkill for the miles I drive here mostly in NYC area.

Kids are getting bigger and the wife could use a nice alternative to the minivan to taking the family around. The CLK55 Cab really had a small luggage compartment as well as rear seats so did not seem to offer much in comparison to the 996C4 Cab I currently have.

The color choices are bothering me - I want a car that is easy to keep clean but the blues MB offers do not tickle my fancy. Perhaps Tectite would look good.

Thanks again,

Joe

Thanks RC.

Well, I have thought about the Cayenne, but I already have an SUV (which I do not even use all that much) as well as a minivan (4 kids). I really am looking to get a nice sedan with some sport to it. I also have a highly modified Subaru WRX I use for fun and parking in places I do not want to leave the 996.

Basically, I am planning to replace the 996 with the E55 and the US Lotus Elise. Have been pushing off my 996TT Cab allocation for a few months already until I decide which way to go. Personally, I think it would be overkill for the miles I drive here mostly in NYC area.

Kids are getting bigger and the wife could use a nice alternative to the minivan to taking the family around. The CLK55 Cab really had a small luggage compartment as well as rear seats so did not seem to offer much in comparison to the 996C4 Cab I currently have.

The color choices are bothering me - I want a car that is easy to keep clean but the blues MB offers do not tickle my fancy. Perhaps Tectite would look good.

Thanks again,

Joe

Sorry RC - to answer your question about the CLK55 over the C4Cab: I was looking for another convertible, so the CLK55 coupe was not really a consideration. I am hoping the Elise will satisfy my open top (somewhat) needs.

Sorry RC - to answer your question about the CLK55 over the C4Cab: I was looking for another convertible, so the CLK55 coupe was not really a consideration. I am hoping the Elise will satisfy my open top (somewhat) needs.

I am thinking to get an Elise as well. Have you driven the Euro version yet?

I am thinking to get an Elise as well. Have you driven the Euro version yet?

Justin,

No, I have not driven any version of the Elise.

I can't see why I would not love it, except for perhaps a rough ride and tight ingress/egress - both of which I would gladly put up with for the uses I have in mind (track, auto-x and weekend trips around the country!).

Justin,

No, I have not driven any version of the Elise.

I can't see why I would not love it, except for perhaps a rough ride and tight ingress/egress - both of which I would gladly put up with for the uses I have in mind (track, auto-x and weekend trips around the country!).

Getting in and out isn't too bad with the roof off, but it can be a little tricky otherwise. There are Euro-spec cars going from Lotus dealer to dealer, so perhaps you can snag a drive. Road and Track had a good article this month (for once) describing what we will get.

Getting in and out isn't too bad with the roof off, but it can be a little tricky otherwise. There are Euro-spec cars going from Lotus dealer to dealer, so perhaps you can snag a drive. Road and Track had a good article this month (for once) describing what we will get.

Sorry I took this post off topic. But I drove an 2004 E55 this morning to compare it to the CLK55 Cab I drove this past weekend. I much prefered the E55 - more stable feeling body, smooth power, flatter cornering (with both the suspension on full stiff or soft).

The power is not as violent as I expected from a car with over 500 lbft of torque. Very smooth throttle tip in and shifting. I was very much concerned with the brake modulation jerkiness I have read so much about. Frankly, I really did not notice much at all. It did feel like the pedal was disconnected from the pads, but seemed easy to modulate. I even lifted of the accelerator abruptly to see if that would make a difference, but it did not.

Overall, I walked away with the impression it is a very capable and smooth sports sedan. Only way I could tell how quickly I was accelerating was by looking at the speedometer.

As several have commented, it is by no means a sports car in the traditional understanding (too big, heavy etc.), but would be a great daily driver for me over my C4 Cab. I would definitely miss the handling though and in some ways know that I will regret giving up the 911. Maybe in a couple of years.

Sorry I took this post off topic. But I drove an 2004 E55 this morning to compare it to the CLK55 Cab I drove this past weekend. I much prefered the E55 - more stable feeling body, smooth power, flatter cornering (with both the suspension on full stiff or soft).

The power is not as violent as I expected from a car with over 500 lbft of torque. Very smooth throttle tip in and shifting. I was very much concerned with the brake modulation jerkiness I have read so much about. Frankly, I really did not notice much at all. It did feel like the pedal was disconnected from the pads, but seemed easy to modulate. I even lifted of the accelerator abruptly to see if that would make a difference, but it did not.

Overall, I walked away with the impression it is a very capable and smooth sports sedan. Only way I could tell how quickly I was accelerating was by looking at the speedometer.

As several have commented, it is by no means a sports car in the traditional understanding (too big, heavy etc.), but would be a great daily driver for me over my C4 Cab. I would definitely miss the handling though and in some ways know that I will regret giving up the 911. Maybe in a couple of years.

E55 as an everyday car

Joe, so did you end up getting the E55?

I picked mine up 3 weeks ago to be used as a daily driver. Excellent car for that purpose.

Lots of power, rattle free body, nice stereo and as you mentioned, very smooth throttle tip in - so smooth that my wife (after test driving for 5 minutes) actually thinks the car is not that fast. Obviously she did not dare to give it more than 10% gas.

The fun part about the car is that you can accelerate and pass most cars on the road (at least where I drive) without even going over 3,000 rpm.

Very civilized car.

E55 as an everyday car

I picked mine up 3 weeks ago to be used as a daily driver. Excellent car for that purpose.

Lots of power, rattle free body, nice stereo and as you mentioned, very smooth throttle tip in - so smooth that my wife (after test driving for 5 minutes) actually thinks the car is not that fast. Obviously she did not dare to give it more than 10% gas.

The fun part about the car is that you can accelerate and pass most cars on the road (at least where I drive) without even going over 3,000 rpm.

Very civilized car.

Re: E55 as an everyday car

Quote:

Very civilized car.

What about traction problems? Otherwise I fully agree.

Re: E55 as an everyday car

Quote:

Very civilized car.

What about traction problems? Otherwise I fully agree.

Talking about traction

Yes, I totally agree.

But the ironic thing is that I fully anticipated the E55 to have horrible traction with the 150 hp over the W210 E55 yet narrower 265 rear tires.

At the end, I actually was plesantly surprised that it is not as bad as I worried.

Yes, little traction when you hammer it but at least it's totally drivable within city speed limits in the rain! Well, at least during the breakin period.

Talking about traction

Yes, I totally agree.

But the ironic thing is that I fully anticipated the E55 to have horrible traction with the 150 hp over the W210 E55 yet narrower 265 rear tires.

At the end, I actually was plesantly surprised that it is not as bad as I worried.

Yes, little traction when you hammer it but at least it's totally drivable within city speed limits in the rain! Well, at least during the breakin period.

Re: Talking about traction

In my test drive, the traction light was coming on all the time -- even when I was not flooring the accelerator. It was disconcerting but I suppose one could get used to it.

In my test drive, the traction light was coming on all the time -- even when I was not flooring the accelerator. It was disconcerting but I suppose one could get used to it.

BTW, I drove it on a cold day [around 4 degrees C]. That got me wondering if the hard rubber of the Contis had anything to with it and thinking a more flexible rubber of all weather tires could help.

BTW, I drove it on a cold day [around 4 degrees C]. That got me wondering if the hard rubber of the Contis had anything to with it and thinking a more flexible rubber of all weather tires could help.

If there is one failing of the E55, its the standard tires. I know that you need some load rated rear tires for the E55 because its so heavy, but manufacturers will fill the void soon.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689621 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409265 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255766 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235004 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65527 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858022 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774074 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM