Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Buying w/o sport chrono

So i'm looking at a used car (ossi's) that doesn't have sport chrono.

Can anybody tell me exactly what features I wouldn't have in this car?

I know I won't have the stop watch, but what else? I know sport chrono gives you an extra level of control over the elctronics in the car. I'm wondering what exactly that is.

Thanks!

Re: Buying w/o sport chrono

Electronics? You can change details like how long your lights stay on as you walk inside your house.

anything else or is that the only thing you can change?

I know it has a lap timer that shows graphs of your laps in comparison to one another, right?

appreciate it!

thanks

It also can change the way how you doors is locked. The most important part is is will re-map your engine and tip when it is turned on.

what exactly does it change about your doors locking? I presume my dealer can change this manually, right?

the engine remapping...hmm...no way around that i'm sure

thanks. any other thoughts or opinions on buying a car w/o it?

You wiil not have a hat holder on the dash.

Sport Chrono includes Individual Memory:

The individual memory allows extended vehicle settings to be made via PCM.
    These settings are individually assigned to the respective ignition key.
    Each time the key is inserted in the ignition lock,
    the stored settings are automatically activated via PCM.
    The following individual options are available:

* Daytime running lights on/off
    * Comfort lighting duration adjustable from 10 seconds to120 seconds
    * Rear wiper automatically on/off (this allows the driver to select whether
    the rear wiper should execute one wipe cycle when reverse gear is engaged
    if a wipe cycle was executed on the windshield within the preceding
    40 seconds)
    * Automatic climate control: save basic setting (e.g. 73*F, fan set to maximum output and defrost on)
    * Unlocking opens all doors or just the driver's door
    * Autolock: off, on upon ignition or active after moving off

All settings can be made in the "Individual Memory" menu, which is
    called up via "Set" in the PCM main menu.

haha. scandalous

so do people consider this option a must have or fairly useless?

thanks

Its a no brainer , just buy it if you dont want to use it just dont but for resale its a must have imo ..

throt..

I would say that Sport Chrono is a MUST IN TIPTRONIC CARS.

I have a manual car though but i like it very much.

How come everybody's failed to mention the "Sport" button, which allows you to switch on more aggressive throttle response, a slightly higher shift-point/redline, and better/sportier shifting calibration??

Sport Chrono is more than just a stopwatch and personal settings.

Most people say that what they like MOST about Sport Chrono, is the "fun" button.

Quote:
    maoun said:
    haha. scandalous

so do people consider this option a must have or fairly useless?

thanks

There's so much stuff going on in the manual especially the PCM manual, that the added MINOR BS of the SC "preferences" settings isn't even noticed, IMHO. Yeah, like my cell phone which can probably be set to remind me of my grandmother's birthday and thirty other relatives, do I have the time and inclination AND obsessive psychology to control every detail of my life with electronics to give a sh*t about using it? Probably not.

Plus when your PCM fails, or your battery is discharged you have to reset EVERYTHING again; gets tiring!

In addition on a 6 speed SCP changes the throttle sensitivity that is very desirable. My only complaint is you must reset it after engine shutdown. In any case it was a must have for me. My PSE is always on so that's not an issue. The Sport PASM setting feels about the same as my U.S. 030 susp. that I had on my 996. Thankfully you can set it to non-sport mode with a separate switch.

Oh yeah it also makes the PSM less "intrusive" when SCP is engaged.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Plus when your PCM fails, or your battery is discharged you have to reset EVERYTHING again; gets tiring!

If your battery is completely dead you're out of luck. If the dealer is simply changing your PCM he is supposed to save all your radio and other settings in his PIWIS and download them to the new PCM.

If I were buying new, I'd definitely want Sports Chrono--on used, if you like the car as is, buy it. Just don't drive one with Sports Chrono, as you might find out what you're missing.

Here's what Sports Chrono adds:

Remaps the throttle response--if you drove one with it, you would definitely notice the difference. On Tiptronic cars it also dramatically changes the shift mapping--I would insist on Sports Chrono if the car has a Tip. You will love having it, and hate not having it (see all the posts lately complaining about the Tip in the 997--Sports Chrono is the cure).

Remaps the PSM so that it intervenes later--you may never notice the difference on the street; presumably you would on the track.

If equipped with PASM, it also remaps the suspension responses to be even quicker. Will you know the difference in most situations--perhaps not, other than on the track where little differences in handling dynamics can matter.

Within the PCM it gives you the ability to set lighting options; locking; and day time running lights. On vehicles without Sports Chrono, your dealer or an independent that has a PST 2 tester can change/reconfigure those options any time you like. So this is not a biggie but would be a reason to consider including Sports Chrono in an ordered car. It's nice that it is there.

And the lap timer.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    How come everybody's failed to mention the "Sport" button,

I think 'cuz he asked about the other stuff it does.

But if the car I was looking at didn't have SC I'd still buy it, if it did I'd say, "Oh, good, it's got it."

sport chrono was not my thing, don't want or need to get used to two throttle's, don't like the hump on the dash and the extra setting's were not a big deal

Actually I ordered it as a must have, but I still think the stop watch on the dash is abit odd. I can laugh at myself as I spend $100K when I could get by with a used pickup. Actually, I bought sport chrono option for the throttle advancement. My M3 has it as standard and on I prior Porsche I bought a third party chip. This, I hope will be good as it has electronic adjustment features, but the real power of this is that is like a power boost "chip" that is from Porsche and will not void the warranty

Quote:
    Paul S in TX said:
    If I were buying new, I'd definitely want Sports Chrono--on used, if you like the car as is, buy it. Just don't drive one with Sports Chrono, as you might find out what you're missing.

I didn't order it; didn't want dash clutter. Sometimes I start to think I made a mistake. Then I drive my 04M3 and hit its "sport" button (throttle maps changed, the car becomes really wild; after a few minutes of wildness I think, "so what?"). Then I think it's fine not to have it in Porsche. It must be an age thing (?) because I really don't get that excited over it in the M3.

Quote:
    MMD said:

I didn't order it; didn't want dash clutter. Sometimes I start to think I made a mistake. Then I drive my 04M3 and hit its "sport" button (throttle maps changed, the car becomes really wild; after a few minutes of wildness I think, "so what?"). Then I think it's fine not to have it in Porsche. It must be an age thing (?) because I really don't get that excited over it in the M3.

I have never driven an M3--maybe you would get excited driving a 997 S with Sports Chrono, if you haven't already?

To me the throttle response is one of the things which does (or should) differentiate a sports car from a sedan--I've had modified cars with very aggressive throttle bodies that make 997 S with Sports Chrono look sluggish by comparison, much less a 997 without it.

If it was standard equipment, we wouldn't be having all the discussion about including it, that's for sure.

Quote:
    Paul S in TX said:

If it was standard equipment, we wouldn't be having all the discussion about including it, that's for sure.

that's ferrrrr sherrrrr

Definitely fun to have SC. But some genius at Porsche ruined my fun by messing up the 997's homage-to-the-original-911-clean-teutonic-looking-dash so I didn't get it.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Electronics? You can change details like how long your lights stay on as you walk inside your house.

How do you do that? I have noticed my interior light stays on for 5 minutes.

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

How do you do that? I have noticed my interior light stays on for 5 minutes.

Jeeps 5 mins , thats way too long...

throt.

Quote:
    throt said:
    Its a no brainer , just buy it if you dont want to use it just dont but for resale its a must have imo ..

throt..

Ditto

spc is a must have on tip gboxes imo

I have never used it for making adjustments or personalizing certain settings.. In that respect I don't think it's a big deal, but the Sport button is where it gets fun IMO. I love the liveliness of the accelerator in sport mode, when its off you really have to mash the throttle down to get the same effect

When it comes to choosing aesthetics over performance, it makes for a tough call when it affects the exterior of the car. For instance, I refuse to live with a big wonking honking goofball spoiler on the back of my car, just to gain a bit of stability at speeds I rarely drive at.

But if the performance enhancement only affects the interior....just a little clock pod is the only "price" I've gotta pay to have a car that feels and responds more like a torque-happy sports car, less like a rubber-band Honda.... No problem, I can live with that.

When I weigh the scales, the advantages of Sport Chrono FAR outweigh the little wart that I ignore anyhow, love it or hate it.

Could Porsche have done it differently? Yep. But, they didn't. So you've got a choice. Go without the nice perks of Sport Chrono and whine about a bump on the dash hoping that Porsche listens and changes in time for your next purchase, or go with the Sport Chrono and be happy. If the gauge were on the hood, outside, I'd be more troubled. Inside, I can deal with it.

The pleasure you receive when you push that sport button is worth it - every time. The change in responsiveness is major.
    The only downside is that I'm more likely to get a ticket - because the car is just that much more fun to drive.
    And to think it costs less than $1K (nearly as much as changing the color of your dials) - a bargain!

Performance beats out interior aesthetics for me - and I'm sure I"m not alone - look at all the 996 owners out there (great car, weak interior aesthetics)!

Quote:
    maoun said:
    So i'm looking at a used car (ossi's) that doesn't have sport chrono.

Can anybody tell me exactly what features I wouldn't have in this car?

I know I won't have the stop watch, but what else? I know sport chrono gives you an extra level of control over the elctronics in the car. I'm wondering what exactly that is.

Thanks!

The stop watch, the "electronics control" for the lights/keys/etc. and the lap timer are actually the most non-important chrono sport options.

A little advice:
    1. check our 997 FAQ
    2. check our archive using the search function

Chrono sport is a MUST for every sporty driver in my opinion, just try to overlook that dumb looking stop watch. This watch is not important. Chrono sport has so many useful abilities and even more on Tiptronic equipped cars.
    It changes the PSM mapping, etc., a REAL must. If you don't order it, you're going to miss a lot of fun.

I really regret not having ordered the Sport Chrono option for my 997S. I feel frustrated by the slow reactions of normal mode Tipronic. Is there any way to retro-fit the SC (without that clock) to my car? Because the most functions of this option can be done by ROM rewriting (997 engine is really drive-by-wire), I wonder if it can be done in the future.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803265 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448587 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266146 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90082 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6615 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885747 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833330 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM