Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: new info on 997tt

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:OH NO! THE SKY IS FALLING!

Jim, respectfully saying, get a grip
    The Turbo was always on the GT side. The 997 is still one of the lightest sport cars available today. It's only about 30kgs heavier than the 993, which was way smaller, less refined, and much lower on power. It's actually lighter than your 'raw car', the f430.

was anyone else that was previously excited getting depressed by all the negativity around here lately? seems liek everyone is saying "if they dont do this to the 997TT im leaving"

Hey I heard about this about a week back the from my dealer in India! He says 3.7 0-100k on tiptronic and 4sec Manual. I just did not believe it so did not post!There must be some truth to it!

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    The 430 has shown there are people that will line up for a 200K+ pure raw sports car .

Yes, even a "raw sports car" that is as "slow" in semi-slicks as an "outdated" 996TT on street tires, and ALOT slower than a 996TT only minimally tweaked and tuned with engine flashing and minor boosting of the turbos up to 1.2 BAR.

The F430 is more a sporty jewelry car than a sports car, not that I'm trying to denigrate it-guys like Stradale who own both an F430 and a P911 do it right, but the Enzo is still F's street-legal SPORTS car-as is the CGT for P. The 997 GT3 and GT2 will thrash the F430-as likely will also the 997TT, S or non-S.

Seems like there is a market for a CGT like car ... that is not carbon so the price is not as hight but has the same driving experience and look . Mid engine V10 new flagship model that does not need to keep with the tradition of the 911 . Seems like Porsche could build a much better top of the line sports car if it had a model that did not need to stay in the 911 tradition and they were not concerned about it being a stronger car than the 911 . The CGT was proof that they can build cars that are much more advanced than the 911 , maybe it just does not need to be all carbon so it can stay in the 200K range .

There are people who like me have had 911's for decades and just want a change and with Porsche the only model that is really their top of the line production sports car is the 911 series . I see more and more people buying 430's just for a change . Would be nice it you could have a change and still stay with Porsche .

If they came out with a 200K dollar V10 mid engine 2 seater no frills sports car it would be great , but they are so careful not to build anything that would compete with the 911 platform they kind of seem held back from what they are really capable of building .

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    Seems like there is a market for a CGT like car ... that is not carbon so the price is not as hight but has the same driving experience and look . Mid engine V10 new flagship model that does not need to keep with the tradition of the 911 . Seems like Porsche could build a much better top of the line sports car if it had a model that did not need to stay in the 911 tradition and they were not concerned about it being a stronger car than the 911 . The CGT was proof that they can build cars that are much more advanced than the 911 , maybe it just does not need to be all carbon so it can stay in the 200K range .

There are people who like me have had 911's for decades and just want a change and with Porsche the only model that is really their top of the line production sports car is the 911 series . I see more and more people buying 430's just for a change . Would be nice it you could have a change and still stay with Porsche .

If they came out with a 200K dollar V10 mid engine 2 seater no frills sports car it would be great , but they are so careful not to build anything that would compete with the 911 platform they kind of seem held back from what they are really capable of building .

I agree-which is why I would like to see the Cayman turned into a twin-turbocharged beast with 500bhp/lb-ft of torque on a 3,000lb max mass. If P priced it for the $200K market, it wouldn't threaten 911NA-or even 911TT sales-I would buy both myself.

Although I think that the 997TT will be a heck of a car, I'm willing to bet my CGT that there is Absolutely no way a 3500+lbs, less tha 500hp 997TT will be faster than it to 100mph.

Amir

definitely not 100mph, but 100kmph, things such as traction and 4wd play big into the picture.

Nevertheless, I'm with Jim on this GT aspect. A 911TT Tip is no friend of mine...

Quote:
    AmirGT2 said:
    Although I think that the 997TT will be a heck of a car, I'm willing to bet my CGT that there is Absolutely no way a 3500+lbs, less tha 500hp 997TT will be faster than it to 100mph.

Amir

Amir, it might be quicker to 60 or 100mph because of how quickly the VTG makes its power. But after that, your CGT would just laugh at it.

The cost of implementing the Tiptronic gearbox for the 997 Turbo has to be considerable, is it really economically viable when you're going to replace it within a year with a new gearbox type "PDK".

Honestly, do we really believe Porsche is going to throw away money like that!

Offering 3 gearbox types for the 997 Turbo a year from now.
    Not likely

Quote:
    CF said:
    The cost of implementing the Tiptronic gearbox for the 997 Turbo has to be considerable, is it really economically viable when you're going to replace it within a year with a new gearbox type "PDK".

Honestly, do we really believe Porsche is going to throw away money like that!

Offering 3 gearbox types for the 997 Turbo a year from now.
    Not likely

Very likely, I'm afraid. Cost of Tiptronic: around 3000 Euro. Cost for PDK: around 6000 Euro as far as I heard.
    So yes, it seems there will be three choices for the 997 Turbo: manual, Tiptronic and PDK. Does it make sense? In my opinion, NO. But I doubt that Porsche can afford putting a 997 Turbo on the market without the availability of an automatic tranny or at least PDK. IF PDK will be available from the start, the Tiptronic may not be available for the Turbo. If not, well, Tiptronic is a must for certain customers.

RC,
    Is it possible that 3.7s time for 0-100km/h is actually time for PDK car? For me it makes no sense at all that tiptronic time is 3.7s, then PDK will be eithet slower or have the same time as tiptronic?? Also, I agree with you that 3 gearbox options are way too much! Manual and PDK are just enough, IMO...

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    AmirGT2 said:

Amir

Amir, it might be quicker to 60 or 100mph because of how quickly the VTG makes its power. But after that, your CGT would just laugh at it.

Jim, 60mph yes but by 100mph the CGT will easily open up a 2 car lengths. I've tested my modified GT2, Stradale and F430 and that's exactly what happens so i doubt it would be any different with the 997TT.

Honestly, it would take a great amount of modification for a 996/997TT to outrun a CGT to 100mph.

Amir

Quote:
    Branimir said:
    RC,
    Is it possible that 3.7s time for 0-100km/h is actually time for PDK car? For me it makes no sense at all that tiptronic time is 3.7s, then PDK will be eithet slower or have the same time as tiptronic?? Also, I agree with you that 3 gearbox options are way too much! Manual and PDK are just enough, IMO...

Since we don't have ANY 997 TT interior pictures (and apparently for a reason like a friend told me... ), I still hope we're getting PDK from the start because 1. it doesn't make sense to offer Tiptronic AND PDK and 2. Porsche can't sell a 997 Turbo without an auto tranny option (which would be PDK in this case).

So let's pray for PDK from the start, it would make sense.
    But I have my doubts since I heard two recent rumors (again: RUMORS!!!):
    1. 997 GT3 introduction will be delayed
    2. PDK makes it's debut on the GT3

I still hope we get PDK on the 997 Turbo from the start but chances aren't big right now I'm afraid.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Branimir said:So let's pray for PDK from the start, it would make sense.

RC - Did you rumors indicate whether the GT3 will come ONLY with PDK or a choice between PDK and manual gearbox?

Thanks!

Quote:
    RC said:
    Since we don't have ANY 997 TT interior pictures (and apparently for a reason like a friend told me... ), I still hope we're getting PDK from the start because 1. it doesn't make sense to offer Tiptronic AND PDK and 2. Porsche can't sell a 997 Turbo without an auto tranny option (which would be PDK in this case).

So let's pray for PDK from the start, it would make sense.

I still hope we get PDK on the 997 Turbo from the start but chances aren't big right now I'm afraid.

If the GT3 intro is delayed, does that have any affect on the introduction of the 997TT? Will that be delayed as well, or are we still hoping for Aug/Sept on this side of the pond?

Hm, I don't see an issue with 3 gearbox alternatives. I have a hard time seeing PDK replacing the Tiptronic. I think many of the current 996TT Tiptronic customers find PDK to be too "new" technology and they rather stick with Tiptronic. These customers, Merc SL segment to me, want an automatic transmission a la old style. Porsche would not miss out on that market segment. BMW offers 3 transmissions for some of their models, I am sure Porsche can (and will) too.

Here's a question: will this pdk mode have an auto mode as well?

Yes.

Quote:
    bluelines said:
    Hm, I don't see an issue with 3 gearbox alternatives. I have a hard time seeing PDK replacing the Tiptronic. I think many of the current 996TT Tiptronic customers find PDK to be too "new" technology and they rather stick with Tiptronic. These customers, Merc SL segment to me, want an automatic transmission a la old style. Porsche would not miss out on that market segment. BMW offers 3 transmissions for some of their models, I am sure Porsche can (and will) too.

After driving DSG (i.e. PDK) there will be no customers left for the old tiptronic.

The tiptronic has no advantages over PDK at all. The old tiptronic is simply inferior in all respects (assuming that PDK will be similar to existing DSG solutions on the market). PDK is the future automatic transmission.

After driving DSG (i.e. PDK) there will be no customers left for the old tiptronic, or the manual for that matter.

Quote:
    CF said:
    After driving DSG (i.e. PDK) there will be no customers left for the old tiptronic, or the manual for that matter.

i totally agree...

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    The tiptronic has no advantages over PDK at all. The old tiptronic is simply inferior in all respects (assuming that PDK will be similar to existing DSG solutions on the market). PDK is the future automatic transmission.

And what is even more interesting (hi Nick!): it is even better than the highly praised F1 sequential shifting system used by Ferrari in the F430. If Ferrari owners don't believe it: it was actually a Ferrari engineer who said that recently.

yea a dual shift is better... but there will still be manuals. We'll live on!!

Quote:
    RC said:
    And what is even more interesting (hi Nick!): it is even better than the highly praised F1 sequential shifting system used by Ferrari in the F430. If Ferrari owners don't believe it: it was actually a Ferrari engineer who said that recently.

To be correct: the Ferrari engineer (Massimo Fumarola, BTW) said that the DSG would fit perfectly for a GT like the 612.
    Fumarola: "We definetely believe that it's the future. But it takes time to develop properly. If you want the best balance between comfort and speed, than it's the right way to go. It would fit with the character of the 612."

Anyway, funny to see how the same hype for the DSG starts among the Porsche customers, as F1 did at Ferrari. And that although a short while ago - when there was only the F1 - the manual was the only way to go for proper sports cars...

Quote:
    RC said:Since we don't have ANY 997 TT interior pictures (and apparently for a reason like a friend told me... ), I still hope we're getting PDK from the start because 1. it doesn't make sense to offer Tiptronic AND PDK and 2. Porsche can't sell a 997 Turbo without an auto tranny option (which would be PDK in this case).

that is the only way all the roumors make sense!!

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

To be correct: the Ferrari engineer (Massimo Fumarola, BTW) said that the DSG would fit perfectly for a GT like the 612.
    Fumarola: "We definetely believe that it's the future. But it takes time to develop properly. If you want the best balance between comfort and speed, than it's the right way to go. It would fit with the character of the 612."

Anyway, funny to see how the same hype for the DSG starts among the Porsche customers, as F1 did at Ferrari. And that although a short while ago - when there was only the F1 - the manual was the only way to go for proper sports cars...

Your comment makes a lot of sense, but for me, the manual is still the only way to go.

If you are going to track the car I am sure it would be great ,, I am sure the Enzo has F1 for a reason and no manual and it has to do with the best system for the track .

Doesnt matter what transmission they put in the 997TT, the car has its own corny historical appeal. But its turning into a blobbish looking version of yesterdays hero car.

The price of a lightly optioned 997TT with PDK (or whatever they will call it) will soon be be competing against the 550 hp plus Audi mid engine coupe and the BMW mid engine Z10.In comparison a 997TT will look like a potato that
    was in a microwave oven for too long.

The 997TT gets only one year to play at being the lone German Supercar.Then the competition arrives.997TTs
    at dealers will get discount stickers and their used
    prices will collapse.

Porsche needs a more exciting looking 150K car.

I take it you dont like it judging by past days post . I take any pics I see of it with a pinch of salt , lets just wait for it to hit the showroom floors ..

One thing though , I hope those cheap looking wheels are not the final pick because over here in the UK you get boy racers tanking about with simular on there Vauxhall Corsa's , it looks comical specially with the little round chrome bit that also spins around with the wheel ..

throt..

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777297 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441721 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262788 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260963 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85233 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5582 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880660 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815978 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM