Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

This is how Porsche will outdate our cars.

Here's all they have to do to make us current owners feel dated. It's the obvious thing to do, extremely easy to spot the "old" cars, looks better (not the trendy Nissan-Z-ish look), good way to hype new car sales when there's a lag.

BTW, do you see that TRENDY pointy-curve anywhere else on the car? No? Then it's eeeeeasy to get rid of it.

Just thought I'd place my bet first. (just for fun) Enjoy!

Re: This is how Porsche will outdate our cars.

Sorry but I think that the original one is much better.

Quote:
    yarub1 said:

Me too ,,

Dear Mr MMD

There is no vacancy available for you at present here in the design department at Porsche ..

Yours Sincerely

throt.
    Porsche CEO.

Quote:
    throt said:
    Quote:
    yarub1 said:

Me too ,,

Dear Mr MMD

There is no vacancy available for you at present in the design department here at Porsche ..

Yours Sincerely

throt.
    Porsche CEO.

LOL. Nah, I'm not saying ours looks bad right now I still kinda like it. BUT I'm "predicting" it's gonna be easy to see this pointy thing as "been there done that" in just a few years. All Porsche has to do is change the back bumper (extremely cheap to do) and tail light and it's over, er..., uh..., I mean it's "new".

wouldn't that just make it look .... 996ish?

LOL , I know what you mean M's , its me being a silly boy as usual ..

throt..

Quote:
    Kevin034 said:
    wouldn't that just make it look .... 996ish?

That's what I was thinking.

Think thinner & LED's

More likely is that with LED's the rear lamp cluster will get thinner (think Z8 tail lights). It might also give Porsche opportunity to "correct" the tail cluster for the "S" models and give them a full width reflector.

Re: Think thinner & LED's

Re: Think thinner & LED's *DELETED*

Post deleted by throt

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    More likely is that with LED's the rear lamp cluster will get thinner (think Z8 tail lights). It might also give Porsche opportunity to "correct" the tail cluster for the "S" models and give them a full width reflector.

Thats just how I "predict" it to be too, this is a photoshop I did 6 months ago of a "998"

Here's the Cayman taillight. Done two (?) years after the 997, gives you a clue of what they might to. Not trying to create a stir, but I can almost see how this makes the 997 look dated.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    Le Chef said:

Thats just how I "predict" it to be too, this is a photoshop I did 6 months ago of a "998"

Oh yes Carlos ,, thats the one I want Mr Porsche..

throt..

A bit heigher Carlos if you would , = 10mm more ..

throt..

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    Le Chef said:

Niiiice, looooove the full-width idea.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Here's the Cayman taillight. Done two (?) years after the 997, gives you a clue of what they might to. Not trying to create a stir, but I can almost see how this makes the 997 look dated.

Most of all... this is the Boxster tail light. Cayman's and Boxster's taillights are exactly the same.

To me the Boxster taillights look way better than the 997 taillights. But that's just personal preference.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

You're a "phosho-master" Carlos.

However, don't know what it is, but it looks kind of heavy to me.

it's the back end. the bumper is widened (top to bottom) giving it a bigger-ass look. But, could be a sign of a larger engine (more power). Then again ... w/ that comes balance issues.

my head hurts.

i love the idea of all LED's on the 911. great photoshop job carlo!

Does any one know if the Turbo will get them in the back (since the front turn signals are receiving them)?

btw, the Audi A8 has LED headlights i believe.

I think Carlos is right, the next step will be the rear light design seen on this photoshop job. Car manufacturers can afford to make the lights smaller due to new LED technology. I doubt that the rear bumper will look this way (too "bulky") but I think the rear lights are a pretty good shot.

Quote:
    RC said:
    I think Carlos is right, the next step will be the rear light design seen on this photoshop job. Car manufacturers can afford to make the lights smaller due to new LED technology. I doubt that the rear bumper will look this way (too "bulky") but I think the rear lights are a pretty good shot.

The rear is rude imo..

throt..

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Here's all they have to do to make us current owners feel dated. It's the obvious thing to do, extremely easy to spot the "old" cars, looks better (not the trendy Nissan-Z-ish look), good way to hype new car sales when there's a lag.

BTW, do you see that TRENDY pointy-curve anywhere else on the car? No? Then it's eeeeeasy to get rid of it.

Just thought I'd place my bet first. (just for fun) Enjoy!

MMD,

Looks like Porsche is adopting the design philosophy of General Motors that was developed by Alfred P. Sloan, namely making small changes to the basic car each year just so that the latest model can be distinguished from the earlier ones of the same basic design. It's a way of getting consumers to believe that somehow the newer model is better than the previous one and getting them to "trade up" to a newer model sooner. It will be interesting to see if this spurs sales of new cars and leads to an increased supply of used ones (and lower prices of used one).

Jim

I think MMD has way too much time on his hands.

Quote:
    mateoche said:
    i love the idea of all LED's on the 911. great photoshop job carlo!

Does any one know if the Turbo will get them in the back (since the front turn signals are receiving them)?

btw, the Audi A8 has LED headlights i believe.

I'm afraid LED rearlights are due for the facelift...maybe. The A8 has LED headlights? I doubt it. Maybe you're referring to the "daylight" lights?

Nice car Carlos.

Nice photoshop Carlos , perhaps someone could fabricate that lower valence to retrofit on our exisiting 997 bumpers .....it looks cool.
    Really love the LED tail lamps too.

Quote:
    Poseur (dweiser) said:
    I think MMD has way too much time on his hands.

LOL. No, I cancel appts and I'm chronically late for meetings so I can assist guys here with their/our hobby issues.

BTW, some guys here (not I) are at the professional level; aren't you glad they tolerate us?!

Cancel your next appointment MMD, the 997 taillights are one of my favorite parts of the car!

Design-wise, to me they convey 'teutonic', precision, tension. Ask Nberry , Ya gotta have a mix of curves and angles for it to work, look at Ferrari -- lots of sharp acute angles (C-pillar, A-pillar, front brake vents,engine vents, ex
    haust cutout) nicely set off by traditional round tail lamps, fender line, venturi...

In my opinion 997 lights crisper than 996's organic 'rising dough form' found throughout the interior and 996 pre-facelift egg over-easy headlight.

997 tails come straight from "trendy" CGT-- give me MORE of the same, I say....

unless maybe 997 guru Harm Lagaay vacationed in Sydney, Australia

Damian,

I second that!

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    Le Chef said:

I love it! Well done Carlos

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    803095 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448519 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266044 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90027 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6513 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885601 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833103 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM