Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

OT: I'm so excited- Germany here I come!

I am on cloud nine right now, and sharing news with Porsche friends is now second nature. I was accepted into the German American Chamber of Commerce's Transatlantic Program. Twenty-five students from America are chosen to be ambassadors for the G/A Chamber of Commerce, our individual schools, and the U.S., through an internship in Germany. The finalists' interview was in both languages, and I was quite nervous about that. Now, they try to set me up with a company in Germany that would suit my needs. I asked to be placed in the auto industry (hint, hint Porsche ), but we'll see how that goes. I guess it all depends on their contacts. Maybe somewhere close to Stuttgart, so I can visit the factory. This is going to be a life-altering experience! Yahoo!!!!

I'll keep you guys updated!

Matt

P.S. RC= Tell those Porsche people, who secretly listen to us, to hire me. LOL.

Re: OT: I'm so excited- Germany here I come!

Congratulation! Good luck with that!

Matt, congratulations.

But don't be too enthusiastic about your stay over here, many Germans have pretty hard feelings towards Americans right now, thanks to the Media and all that "Bush is evil" stuff. And since you're from Texas...oh boy. Good luck.

But seriously: I hope you enjoy your stay here, as soon as you're here, just send me a mail and I'll give you my cell phone number. Just in case you need some help or first hand advices.

If you want a job at Porsche, you should contact Porsche:

Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche
    Aktiengesellschaft
    Personalmarketing
    Porscheplatz 1
    70435 Stuttgart
    Germany

Phone: +49 711 911 22 911 (Caution: this is the hotline if you want to apply for a job).

You should also check this FAQ before you do any move:
    http://www.porsche.com/germany/aboutporsche/jobs/jobs-faq/

But it may be the best thing if the guys from the American-German Commerce Chamber contact Porsche for you.

Good luck!

Congrats BIG TIME

congratulations~~!!

Quote:
    RC said:
    Matt, congratulations.

But don't be too enthusiastic about your stay over here, many Germans have pretty hard feelings towards Americans right now, thanks to the Media and all that "Bush is evil" stuff. And since you're from Texas...oh boy. Good luck.

Do the Europeans know that there's ALOT of Americans who are disgusted with Bush? I hope so. Would be bad if THAT information isn't getting through the media/owners/censors.

Matt, make sure you get that point across (if you are so inclined, of course). Or if you're about to get a beating outside some local bar you can always yell this fact as loud as you can to save your life.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Matt, congratulations.

Do the Europeans know that there's ALOT of Americans who are disgusted with Bush? I hope so. Would be bad if THAT information isn't getting through the media/owners/censors.

Matt, make sure you get that point across (if you are so inclined, of course). Or if you're about to get a beating outside some local bar you can always yell this fact as loud as you can to save your life.

Matt, if u do get in a bar fight for that, give them a sample of a Austin pounding. Dont worry, the last German who could throw a punch was Max Schmelling.

I'd highly doubt you'll risk any physical attacks by being an american anywhere in Europe.. But that said I would not recommend you to advocate your support for Bush to loud (if you do support him), as you'll end up in a discussion with a sort of people who consider the grey shades between black and white less real than Santa himself. I'm sure you'll get along just fine by using normal politenes and common sense.

Congratulations on the exchange program, and enjoy your stay

Quote:
    RC said:
    Matt, congratulations.

But seriously: I hope you enjoy your stay here, as soon as you're here, just send me a mail and I'll give you my cell phone number. Just in case you need some help or first hand advices.

If you want a job at Porsche, you should contact Porsche:

Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche
    Aktiengesellschaft
    Personalmarketing
    Porscheplatz 1
    70435 Stuttgart
    Germany

Phone: +49 711 911 22 911 (Caution: this is the hotline if you want to apply for a job).

You should also check this FAQ before you do any move:
    http://www.porsche.com/germany/aboutporsche/jobs/jobs-faq/

But it may be the best thing if the guys from the American-German Commerce Chamber contact Porsche for you.

Good luck!

Thanks for the information, RC. We'll see what happens!!

Congratulations Matt!

I have very fond memories of Germany when I lived there twice as a child. The last time I was there was during 9/11. I was overwhelmed with the kindness of the German people at that terrible time in history.

FWIW, I did have some very civil conversations about President Bush ( I absolutely adore him). I never initiated the discussions- folks ask and I'm not afraid . As I'm sure you know, it's usually best to avoid politics- you'll have plenty of things to do and enjoy- and new friends to make.

Cheers!

LOL, Jim!

FWIW, I'm German and I have a decent punch too!

I know in my heart this is wrong to post here but I agree with SVNSVN, we could have Al Gorey or John Kerry (and Theresa) instead.
    GOD SPARE THE USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    FWIW, I did have some very civil conversations about President Bush ( I absolutely adore him).

I don't want to get political here either and I understand there are some strong Bush supporters on the board. But "adore him"? That one I couldn't let go by without a remark.

That's about the last word that would ever cross my lips (or mind) when thinking about our fearless (and clueless) leader.

But it's the holidays, so I wish you, our President, and our friends in foreign countries all the best

Congrats partner . Very exciting time for you .

Best of luck

Matt - Have a great time! I really enjoyed my short stay there. It was just before 9/11/01, but I was greated very warmly. I also have a close friend who lives in Berlin and although he shares my opinion of Pres. Bush (not so positive, to put it mildly), he is friendly with Americans from all political perspectives. Enjoy yourself!

Congrats Matt! Would be awesome if you end up working for a car company (my dream) especially Porsche! I have been following your story on PPBB for a few years and not only have you gotten your dream Boxster S, you now get to go visit the factory!

For those of you who are sick of Bush, you could always move to Australia. My best friend (a Porsche owner too thanks to me) owns and runs the best (of course) online immigration service in Australia and he tells me that many of his clients are telling him that they are moving to Australia as they are just sick of the political situation in the US and that it is becoming more and more unsafe there! For those of you interested, here is my best friend's company. www.liveinaustralia.com. I hope I am not breaking any forum rules by posting that link RC!

Yeah , in their time a lot of folks disliked/hated Reagan and Lincoln too- two other great American Presidents.

Thankfully, most good people understand who the real enemy is!

I love what an Iraqi woman said after voting, " Those who don't appreciate what President Bush and the American people ( troops) have done for the Iraqi people can go straight to hell!" Her words and the actions of her fellow citizens are a lot more credible than the haters and the unwashed !

Merry Christmas!

Grant,

Please include the whole quote next time.

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Grant,

Please include the whole quote next time.

Sorry, will do...

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    LOL, Jim!

FWIW, I am glad you do!

I like the "Snow Porsche" avatar pic. Porsches make perfect cars for Xmas tree shopping.

nice, good luck dude!

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Yeah , in their time a lot of folks disliked/hated Reagan and Lincoln too- two other great American Presidents.

Thankfully, most good people understand who the real enemy is!

I love what an Iraqi woman said after voting, " Those who don't appreciate what President Bush and the American people ( troops) have done for the Iraqi people can go straight to hell!" Her words and the actions of her fellow citizens are a lot more credible than the haters and the unwashed !

Merry Christmas!

SVNSVN: Thanks, my thoughts exactly

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    LOL, Jim!

Nice to know that you're german (wouldn't have guessed from your name shown in your profile) - perhaps you should join the german speaking part of this forum now and then
    Well, on the other hand your punch should be no surprise as your profile shows "weight lifting" as a hobby

Frohe Weihnachten aus Deutschland

Quote:
    MattTheCarNut said:
    I am on cloud nine right now, and sharing news with Porsche friends is now second nature. I was accepted into the German American Chamber of Commerce's Transatlantic Program. Twenty-five students from America are chosen to be ambassadors for the G/A Chamber of Commerce, our individual schools, and the U.S., through an internship in Germany.

Matt, herzlichen Glückwunsch aus Deutschland
    I am sure you will enjoy your stay over here (just follow SVSN's good advise to avoid all the political BS chat - good advise for everybody whatever his/her nationality may be). Life definitely provides nicer experiences than politics (even in Germany ): just imagine to take a P-car for an adrenaline-rushed high speed ride at the famous Autobahn or for some power-slide corners at a winding alpine road (I promise you will love it).

I'll pick up my new car in Zuffenhausen next March - so if your schedule allows, you are cordially invited to join me for the factory tour

Also, if you want to visit the Cologne/Düsseldorf area, just drop me a line - I am happy to assist an american P-car fellow.

Frohe Weihnachten

Thanks for the support, Guys! I am really, really excited. I do not expect much trouble from Germans, as I am firstly Canadian. And, everyone knows Canadians love peace. HAHA! I moved down here for school. As for politics, again, I do not expect trouble. I probably share the same views as most Germans. However, car boards, internships, and professional interactions are not places for politics. Politics and the baggage it carries is annoying and absolutely fruitless to talk about, and I don't intent to bring any of it up while in Germany.. I will have an amazing time.

I'll keep you updated on what company I work for!!
    Matt

Matt - you'll have a great time. And I realize that politics is a very sensitive issue these days. But, should we really entirely avoid talking about politics when we travel to foreign countries? It seems that a respectful political discussion with people from other places is one of the best learning experiences for both sides. I know it requires tact (I don't always succeed here), but I think it's important...

Quote:
    RC said:
    Matt, congratulations.

RC is right, I was in Germany not too long ago, I had flown from London, waiting for my flight to the U.S. then I thought why don't I change my ticket with 1st class. I stood in front of the airline counter (Lufthansa)with my AMerican passport, the guy was sitting there doing nothing but ignoring me. Finally I said excuse me can I get some help here. He rolled his eyes back and said what do you want? I said I would like to change my ticket with 1st class. He responded no you don't. I said why not? He paused and said okay it will be $2500. I replied what $2500 one way to CA. He said I told you, you don't want to do this. Then he added you Americans come here thinking you can get a 1st class ticket for $300, I was too pissed to respond. Now I have uncles married to Germans and even relatives that live there. So becareful, Americans are not liked much in Germany or France.

Very sad. But that's what we get for pushing people/nations around. Maybe there's a button you could wear that would defuse the antagonism. Not sure what it would say though. "I'm one of the good ones," maybe.

Matt,

Congrats!

Just be careful of sharing political views where ever you may go, I wouldn't recommend it really whether you are one way or the other. As far as being disliked...i think that is some more bad media being fed to you. As a US military member in Germany for over 6 years i can tell you that if you keep a low profile you won't have a problem. The hard feelings that some Germans may have are most likely the ones who haven't had any contact with us in the first place or possibly ran into a few bad examples of us here in Germany tarnishing our image. The German community is great and I would recommend getting involved with the community you may live in as it will only better your stay in the land of Porsche.

Either way have fun and party it up here because it doesnt last forever.

harrY

Congratulations Matt!

You should be very excited. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Good luck getting that Porsche job.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776907 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441599 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262721 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260869 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85142 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5529 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880585 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815752 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM