Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

here's the sccop on the 997 TT

I've been sworn to secrecy, but here's what I can tell you.

Forget the 450bhp figure. It's more - a good deal more, in fact. But it's not quite 500bhp.

640Nm? Not quite, in standard trim at least! There is an optional feature that will give you more - much more. I reckon anyone that buys a 996 TT will have the optional feature. It's a must.

I wish I could tell you more, but that will have to wait a month or so . . .

Re: here's the sccop on the 997 TT

Quote:
    the_stuttgarter said:

Forget the 450bhp figure. It's more - a good deal more, in fact. But it's not quite 500bhp.

640Nm? Not quite, in standard trim at least! There is an optional feature that will give you more - much more. I reckon anyone that buys a 996 TT will have the optional feature. It's a must.

you mean that we will have an option to order the car faster?! you
    mistyped maybe the 996 with 997?
    i dont understand...

yes, sorry . . . anyone that oders the 997 TT will have to have the option . . . .

thank you for your "lights" stuttgarter... merry Christmas

hm, yes... bit on the naive side today? i will soon login with my new nickname herr_wiedekin and boy do i have a scoop!

over 500HP with the as you call it "the optional feature"

No, the option only boosts the torque . . . no power increase above the nominal figure.

Quote:
    the_stuttgarter said:

Not quite 640 Nm? The old Turbo X50 had 650 Nm in 2003!!! I don't know what Porsche are doing, but I don't like it. I have a bad feeling that the C6Z is going to walk all over it, at least on the straights.

Quote:
    the_stuttgarter said:
    No, the option only boosts the torque . . . no power increase above the nominal figure.

hmm.. could be some launch control system with a boost in connection with pdk...

I think he is referring to the rumored OVERBOOST system which comes standard with the optional chrono sport package. I never mentioned it because it didn't sound too credible but maybe Porsche really wants to offer some special goodies, so it would make sense. I had the overboost feature on my Lancia Delta Integrale cars, very nice feature to have. It actually raises the boost pressure by up to 20% for several seconds. Very nice when you need that extra "kick".

Power is still rumored at 480-483 HP, so the "stuttgarter" seems to be right.

It actually raises the boost pressure by up to 20% for several seconds. Very nice when you need that extra "kick".

From my little experience that i have all these years when we raise the boost presure we have more hp as well...
    am i wrong ?!

only relaying what I've been told . . .

you have to give us more hints... this is not fair.. we are a group of crazy porsche funs over here...

the more torque is what Rc explained?! or something else?

Are they going to give as an option for the new turbo DSG ?

good news..thanks!

ciaoo

Quote:
    RC said:
    I think he is referring to the rumored OVERBOOST system which comes standard with the optional chrono sport package.

Now THAT would be worth the $1000 Porsche currently asks for the 997/997S Sports Chrono pkg !

Quote:
    Aisxos said:
    From my little experience that i have all these years when we raise the boost presure we have more hp as well...
    am i wrong ?!

Maybe...

What's the disadvantage to not having the 'overboost' on all the time? More turbo lag? Higher strain on engine and parts?

Quote:
    Aisxos said:
    It actually raises the boost pressure by up to 20% for several seconds. Very nice when you need that extra "kick".

am i wrong ?!

If the system only allowed overboost at lower rpm, then torque would be increased without increasing peak hp (hp would be increased from previous levels at low rpm - but still not reaching peak hp without overboost). To make high hp, you need to make lots of torque at high rpm...

It's possible that the overboost could be modified to give
    more peak hp too (by keeping the boost high at high rpm), but this means that the turbochargers would need to be sized accordingly (takes alot more air to keep high boost at high rpm). The Turbo S will probably be made like this...

Makes sense that Sport Chrono would allow more boost at low rpm for great response and very fast acceleration off the line. Sounds like a "Must Have" option to me

Quote:
    luke said:
    What's the disadvantage to not having the 'overboost' on all the time? More turbo lag? Higher strain on engine and parts?

Curiousity killed the cat. Seriously: I don't think that this would be a reliability issue on the Turbo. It is just that extra "kick", that extra feature, like the new VTG technology or other little gimmicks like the LED daylight, etc. Men love toys, many of us are gadget lovers too.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    luke said:

Curiousity killed the cat. Seriously: I don't think that this would be a reliability issue on the Turbo. It is just that extra "kick", that extra feature, like the new VTG technology or other little gimmicks like the LED daylight, etc. Men love toys, many of us are gadget lovers too.

And the biggest disadvantage is to Porsche's profit. If the TT could overboost all the time, who would need to buy the Turbo S and pay alot more?

But seriously, if the turbochargers are designed to flow lots of air (to make high boost at high rpm and make >500hp), they need to be big turbos. And big turbos have more lag from additional inertia and worse aerodynamic properties at low speed. So, traditionally, you made a compromise between good throttle response (less lag with smaller turbos) and high peak power (more lag with big turbos).

This is where VTG comes in. It promises to make the compromise much smaller, so you can get lots of power with less lag...

Charging additional money for turbocharger overboost is not cute, its not a smiley face emoticon thing, its not a "gadget" but it is a overwhelmingly disreputable and mean way to take advantage of a customers lack of technical knowledge. It is borderline dishonest.

Inside Porsche, the 997TT optional overboost feature must be called "Customer Wallet Chrono."

So Porsche reads a Sabb brochure finds "overboost" but rather than make it standard like Saab, they are going to charge for it?

If thats the model, thats pretty insulting to customer intelligence. Already they play games with throttle mapping and charge for that - "sport chrono." Its pathetically
    greedy and a sign of very low respect for customers.

A short interval of higher than regular max psi costs them
    them NOTHING! Its only an adjustment to the programming of the boost controller. The only "gadget" thing about it is their attempt to grab more out of your wallet.

Porsche must be more intent on just finding new ways to screw customers with joke options than to honestly offer a solid car. Whats next? Charging extra for the air in the tires? They charge extra for TPMS, so why not offer optional choices of air in the tires also?

Charging additional money for turbo overboost is so greedy, that the only thrill left for Porsche's management after being able to charge for that will be to relocate their executive management to West Hollywood to run year around corn hole contests.

Will this feature enable more than 700 Nm?

Quote:
    CF said:
    Will this feature enable more than 700 Nm?

Seems likely... And if not more than 700, probably very close.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Inside Porsche, the 997TT optional overboost feature must be called "Customer Wallet Chrono."

So Porsche reads a Sabb brochure , finds "overboost" but rather than make it standard like Saab, they are going to charge for it?

If thats the model, thats pretty insulting to customer intelligence. Already they play games with throttle mapping and charge for that - "sport chrono." Its pathetically
    greedy and a sign of their very low respect for their customers.

A short interval of higher than regular max psi costs them
    them NOTHING! Its only an adjustment to the programming of the boost controller. The only "gadget" thing about it is their attempt to grab more out of your wallet.

Porsche must be more intent on just finding new ways to screw customers with joke options than to honestly offer a solid car. Whats next? Charging extra for the air in the tires? They charge extra for TPMS, so why not just make the air in the tires a option also!

Charging additional money for turbo overboost is so greedy, that the only thrill left for Porsche's management after being able to charge for that will be to relocate their executive management to West Hollywood to run year around corn hole contests.

Couldn't agree more. Porsche has disappointed me.

Crash, Sorry I edited my post. I am so dissapointed that Porsche would stoop so low and treat unwitting customers like morons by charging for them for turbo overboost. I am really shocked and dissapointed by the news about it.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Crash, Sorry I edited my post. I am so dissapointed that Porsche would stoop so low and treat unwitting customers like morons by charging for them for turbo overboost. I am really shocked and dissapointed by the news about it.

I am not sure why this would surprise or shock you. They have a captive customer base. Why not lighten their wallets?

They could equip the car with pink laces and the Porschephile will clamor to buy it.

i dont see a problem in this, you are right from one point of view but i dont care to pay even more to give me a car with 1.3 bar with 550hp with warranty of porsche ofcourse... if porsche wants to raise even more the pressure with warranty i can pay them EVEN MORE to give me a car with 600hp.

I JUST WANT MY CAR TO BE VERY VERY FAST!!!

Why to pay after i buy my car, Rs-tuning and not Porsche directly...?!

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

I am not sure why this would surprise or shock you. They have a captive customer base. Why not lighten their wallets?

They could equip the car with pink laces and the Porschephile will clamor to buy it.

They shouldnt attempt to additionally monetize a feature that is a ordinary feature in turbocharger applications. To do so is completely disreputable and also intentionally misleading customers.Overboost is nothing new, its not a gadget, its not a trick, its not a Porsche discovery!

All currently manufactured turbocharged cars allow
    overboost for a brief duration of usually 4 seconds.
    And none of them charge for it! Why? Simple. They
    set a lower max psi for engine longevity, but use the overboost to achieve marketing and performance figures.

Its disgustingly greedy, arrogant and very revealing about the mindset of Porsche management for them to charge customers additional money for that.

Do they want a reputation for misleading naive customers and playing loose with the truth? If so, let them do it.
    it will come back to haunt them and cost them lost business by insulting their customers intelligence.

Even the cheapest Volvo diesel car includes a overboost feature for additional passing power. For Porsche to demand more money for that on the 997TT by "gadgetizing" it with a sport chrono option is a pathetic attempt at wallet snatching.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Its disgustingly greedy, arrogant and very revealing about the mindset of Porsche management.

I nearly was a P owner and still would like to be , but I keep saying this cause its the truth . A great shame really but the buyer sets all tones and trends..

Will they push it to far eventually ? ..

throt..

I cant understand you guys... What do you want eventually? You want a very fast car or you buy the new turbo just to say "I own the new 997 Turbo"
    you were saying that if the new turbo is going to be 450hp you are not going to buy it..

Now that we are starting to find out that the new turbo may be fast you start saying again that porsche cares only about money.

If you dont want to buy a Porsche and you feel that what you buy doesnt deserve the amount of money you give you can buy a Z06.

I believe that with the ammount of money you give all these years you buy a very FAIR car which accelerates very good STOPS even better it is one of the safest in its category, and in the truck it is very very good.

What else do you need!?

I wish Porsche produces at the same time and the powerkit (which i dont believe) for the crazy guys like us.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777537 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441823 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262821 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261029 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85301 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5603 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880717 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816124 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM