Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

time to wash the baby

griots garage wash, machine 3, and best of show wax (5 layers).

she's a beauty.

Re: time to wash the baby

OH, and I learned a secret. On the clear-bra, it's best to wax w/ the foam by hand, wait til dry, then wipe off. Otherwise, it creates a lot of swirls (using the machine).

That's very cleaver taping over the openings and seams. I gotta try it!.

Thanks and Enjoy!

Kevin, do you put the rollerblades on when you polish your car?

PS: Endeed a clever idea to tape the seams.

Quote:
    Matt C said:
    Kevin, do you put the rollerblades on when you polish your car?

PS: Endeed a clever idea to tape the seams.

lol, i tried but end up falling all the time, so I decided that wasn't a good idea. Keep washing and waxing car seperate from roller blade hockey, Noted.

Why tape over panel edges? To avoid machining the edges excessively?

BTW, your work serves as an inspiration to us all.

Wow!! You must have alot of free time!! Unless your using a high powered orbital buffer then you have no need to tape your edges. Most good quality orbitals have a rheostat so that the risk to the edges is mitigated. I would presonally never take the time to mask all the edges before waxing but to each his own. All I can say is WOW!!!!

I love my porsche, it's a sickness, what can I say? lol

The reason why I taped the edge up was so that I don't get any polish or wax in there. When I first started, the polish actually gets flung into the gaps. When I opened the door, I can see little bits and pieces of the wax, and I didn't really want them to hang around like that in gaps that I can't clean.

All I can say is Wow. I guess I just like my porsche. I wash it but have yet to wax it. Heck I hate washing my car so waxing it is going to be a big pain for me. I'm sure you car is awesome when finished.

Kevin you win the " Anorak Valet Championship " ,, awesome ..

throt.

anyone have an opinion on paint curing time? I had always heard you shouldn't wax a new car right away because it actually takes the paint several months to cure. Waxing it seals in the chemicals that would normally evaporate off, and instead of having a nice hard paint, it can stay soft. Is this irrelevant for a Porsche paint? Maybe this just applys to my car restoration projects...I don't bake it on.

Quote:
    flap said:
    anyone have an opinion on paint curing time? I had always heard you shouldn't wax a new car right away because it actually takes the paint several months to cure. Waxing it seals in the chemicals that would normally evaporate off, and instead of having a nice hard paint, it can stay soft. Is this irrelevant for a Porsche paint? Maybe this just applys to my car restoration projects...I don't bake it on.

I think its BS ,, boss ??? ..

throt..

I believe that since auto manufacturers now utilize clear coat, the idea of paint curing is a myth.
    Kevin...you are unreal with all that taping..I showed your post to the misses to show her there are other crazies out there. She wasn't impressed.

1.) I have heard Porsche bakes the paint on so the cars arrive "cured" but others here know more than I about this.
    2.) Speaking of "cured", Kevin, I know a doctor here in NC who could probaby help with your blue tape fetish. He, along with some of the new psychotrophic medications, did wonders for me with my "label gun fixation" problem.
    Just kidding you know.

rofl, label gun fixation.

I swear, I only tape up my porsche once every 2 weeks.

Quote:
    Kevin034 said:
    rofl, label gun fixation.

I swear, I only tape up my porsche once every 2 weeks.

You need to go into the detailing business.

kevin034... helluva job mahaman

Can't wait for the after PICS!!!

Quote:
    flap said:

It's all set when it leaves the factory - once you get the car, I would wax away....

Quote:
    Kevin034 said:
    OH, and I learned a secret. On the clear-bra, it's best to wax w/ the foam by hand, wait til dry, then wipe off. Otherwise, it creates a lot of swirls (using the machine).

Thanks for the tip for the clear bra. I use Griots products as well but I'm not sure what the "foam" is you are referring to. To date I have been avoiding detailing the clear bra.

Also, I'm curious - how long does it take you to do the wash, polish, and 5 coats of wax? I do the wash, the clay, the polish, and 1 coat of wax and it takes me 4 hours. How slow am I???

Thanks!

Foam = Foam applicator pad

Kev..I bought a Porter Cable orbiter from Griot's but have always been afraid to use it for fear of scratching the car.
    Could you give us amateurs a step by step lesson as to how you put the wax on then take it off with the orbiter.. I have the tools and the Best Of Show wax, but no knowledge. Thank you VM and your car looks abolutely first class.

Quote:
    Kevin034 said:
    I can see little bits and pieces of the wax, and I didn't really want them to hang around like that in gaps that I can't clean.

I dunno, lemme take another look on my car, but is it true there's places where you can't get wax out? Use a toothbrush to "scrape" the wax off in the crevices between panels or along gasketed trim, use other tools to get way in there etc.? Seems like alot of work to do all that taping. Maybe get dark-colored wax and slop it on?

Quote:
    RAKLAW said:
    Kev..I bought a Porter Cable orbiter from Griot's but have always been afraid to use it for fear of scratching the car.
    Could you give us amateurs a step by step lesson as to how you put the wax on then take it off with the orbiter.. I have the tools and the Best Of Show wax, but no knowledge. Thank you VM and your car looks abolutely first class.

To start out do two things:

Make sure everything is very clean: no dirt/grit particles.

Put machine on low and think of it as having a motorized hand/arm to apply and remove wax. IOW, all you're doing is applying enough power to save yourself the normal effort of applying and removing wax by hand.

Soon you'll get more confidence and you'll be eventually using it it to polish the car with "abrasives."

Quote:
    RAKLAW said:

Watch " Kung Fu Kid " ....

WAX ONNN WAX OOFFFF WAX ONNN WAX OFFF ,,,

ON OFFF ONN OFFFF ONNN OFFFFF ..

"" Okay RAKLAW SON ..

throt..

Many thanks..I will break my cherry on my winter ride.(FX45)
    BY the way my car has a estimated complete date of 12/26. Wish I could just zoom over to the factory and watch.

Throt..AHSOOO, ASooo..HAHA

Woo wistening wow woo wistening ..

lol..

throt..

Quote:
    throt said:
    Woo wistening wow woo wistening ..

lol..

throt..

Yea woo iwiot ,, now "" paint the fence "" ..

Lol ..

throt..

Quote:
    flap said:

Yes I have an opinion; thanks for asking

Me, I wax every new car (I'm not that old so my first new one was 1986) right away. The paint's as cured and hard as it will ever be.

"Paint curing time?" It's all different now. The paints have all changed. Reminds me to do some internet research to get up to date.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777516 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441816 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262820 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261028 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85297 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5600 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880712 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816108 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM