Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

which to go for gt2 or 911 turbo

hi guys,i really need your help and advice as iam going out of my mind,i have waited 15 monthes to take delivery of my new E55 amg,now i have it i do not like it,yes theres loads of power but it makes me feel dead from waist up,the car is to quiet,its to sedate and iam only 42 but it makes me feel 62,so where do i go from here,my wife wants me to have a porsche 911 turbo or gt2,what i do not want to do is to buy a turbo and wish i had the gt2,this is where you guys come in,my car is only used at weekends and the occasional evening when i can leave it somewhere safe,the e55 has no traction in the wet what so ever,is the gt2 better,has the gt2 got any rear seats,does the turbo feel lathargic compared to the gt2,what about sound is there any difference between the two,dont get me wrong i dont want a out and out race car,but i want something that makes me smile everytime i drive it,i heard all the arguments about 2wd against 4wd,but as long as the gt2 can handle a little bit of water on the roads without feeling your on ice i do not mind as i have been brought up on 2wd cars,my wife has a vw golf r32 and because of the sound and feeling the car has i get more enjoyment driving that,than i do the merc.I just do not want to make another mistake,because the money i will loser on the merc is going to be mad as per usual.The other question i have is the gt2 have all of them got roll bars in them because this would put me off.Please helps as i need to order the 911 turbo very soon all look for a second hand gt2 as i do not want to pay Pounds126,000 sterling for one when you can pick up a very low mileage one for around Pounds100,000 sterling.It seems funny if you speak to any porsche dealer in england they want you to buy a 911 turbo and not a gt2,but when you ask about the low mileage gt2 they are advertising its sold,and they do not know when they are going to get another,that must mean that the gt2 will hold its value better.Let the debate begin.

kind regards simon

Re: which to go for gt2 or 911 turbo

Hi Simon,
    I am not the best person on this forum to advise you but I'd go for the Turbo regarding the english wet roads. The GT2 can be a handful, one of those cars that always require you full attention and respect.
    Noise wise you'll be dissappointed by both of them, they sound like hoovers but contact europipe and they'll sort you out or any other tuner, they all do exhaust for the Turbo/GT2.
    The turbo has rear seats as opposed to the GT2 ans suprisingly, it's the GT2 that's most comfy in the back, because of the absence of rear seats. The hole is bigger, but no seatbelt and not legal.
    I think you can great fun with the Turbo, the GT2 demands more skills to exploit the car 100%.
    Anyway, both are about 1000 times better then the SL
    Value wise, the GT2 is better of course.
    Fanch.

Quote:
    Value wise, the GT2 is better of course.

from what i've heard the GT2's depreciation is higher than the turbo's. at least in germany 1 year old cars are traded for 2/3 of the original MRSP.

i would recommend the turbo as well, 4WD and ESP are not to be sneezed at -- and tick the X50 option if 420 HP is too feeble for you . tequipment will even install recaro seats and take out the rear seats if you'd tell them. so IMO nothing really speaks for the GT2 despite the more self-confident, flaunty rear wing!

Re: btw, fanch...

...i already missed you! long time no see!

GT2 Pricing

FYI there is a Black GT2 with all the options and no miles at one of the OPC's in the North that has been there for about 6-9months.

It was offered to a good friend of mine in exchange for his new GT3 and Pounds10K which makes it a Pounds85K car....

Buy a second hand GT2 after someone else has taken the hit, it is going to be far more exclusive ( I beleive there are less than 20 in the country) and it must nearly be at the bottom of its rather steep initial depreciation.

Final though, get a dealer to let you borrow both cars and make you mind up based upon your own thoughts and experiance. If you are looking for a recomendation for an OPC to deal with I have always found Darrell Law at Guildford (01483-408800) very helpful. Tell him Paul sent you if you do give him a call.

What ever you decide I think you will find it a bit more interesting than the E55 (No offense RC!)

P.

Re: GT2 Pricing

Quote:
    ...it must nearly be at the bottom of its rather steep initial depreciation.

I would not expect GT2 prices to recover. Who wants the old 462hp version if the update is quicker. Same applies to the old GT3.

Prices of these cars should stabilize only at a level substantially below current market prices.

Thanks!

I've never been away Zz
    I still read the posts when I have time, Just a lot more work up here, and still no internet at home, but broadband should be sorted by next week hopefully.
    Aberdeen is actually quite nice, ok it does rain a lot, but London too. Loads of sports cars (Oil money of course ) but also a lot of street boy racers you know the type, Peugeot 206 with mega wing and quad exhaust pipes! I'm not kidding, it's amazing (as in amazingly crap), really loud as well and they drive like wan...ers I wich I could show them what a nice exhaust sounds like (namely mine ) but I have to do with a Mitsu Pajero here which is not a bad car actually, very capable off road, just not very exciting, plus it really sounds like a tractor!
    Take care,
    Fanch.
    PS: More action from me as soon as I get that f...ing broadband working!!!

Re: btw, fanch...

Hey fanch, what's going on my friend you don't stop by anymore

You need to change your office so your boss won't be so close by

Re: GT2 Pricing

Quote:
    Quote:
    ...it must nearly be at the bottom of its rather steep initial depreciation.

I would not expect GT2 prices to recover. Who wants the old 462hp version if the update is quicker. Same applies to the old GT3.

Prices of these cars should stabilize only at a level substantially below current market prices.

I don't expect them to recover, just that the initial depreciation should now have passed and prices will not drop in such a dramatic way in the next few years.

As for the new car, the power increase is just a ECU upgrade what ever Porsche say.

Why pay all that money when you can get an old car and upgrade it for a fraction of the cost of the "new" model?

Re: Thanks!

aberdeen... i suppose you took refuge in scotland because of all the new speed traps being installed throughout france!
    MTV euro awards are in edinburgh this year on thursday... shouldn't be too far away (150 km ?). i've been to barcelona last year, but the show was crap actually... but i better stop, this is getting off topic now...
    regards; zz

Speedtraps and big fish sandwiches!

Yeah, up in Aberdeen for two years, should be interesting.
    About France, having been driving there for a long time, wondering what to do with the C4C actually, but you're right, all my friends are telling me that's it's becoming hell, watch out guys!
    They have just installed hundreds of automatic radars and have caught over 2000 drivers in less than one day with one machine!
    This is scary.
    We can't drive anymore...
    To Ron: haha! Very funny man! I'm stuck in that sh... cubicle for now and everybody can see my screen, not ideal for Rennteam
    Hey, I have some pretty pics of you eating a massive sandwich in Houston! Want me to post them! Who's laughing now huh?
    Since we're a bit offtopic, just want to point out that France will win the rugby world cup!
    Wales almost did an exploit last week end, and it would really piss me off if England wins, but they're looking good (boy I hate Woodward!)
    Enough now, back to driving
    Fanch.

Re: Speedtraps and big fish sandwiches!

No massive sandwich pigging out posting please I shut up

Re: Speedtraps and big fish sandwiches!

I have a Black GT2 Clubsport here in the UK, as does a mate of mine.

If you want the fastest, purest car, then you will always regret not buying the GT2 if you had the choice.

The second-hand GT2s have dropped quite a lot to settle at the Pounds85k (private) to Pounds95k (OPC) level. At this level they are hardly any more than a new or second-hand Turbo, so make much better relative value. I'm sure the GT2 will be worth more in a few years time.

As for the car - no 4wd, no PSM, no PCM, 100kg lighter etc etc means it is is 100% a drivers car, not a long-distance GT.

As for traction, I've done an indictated 180mph with the wipers on full blast (on a runway) and have no trouble driving in the wet whatsoever. Obviously with the power available it means being a bit more sensible with the right foot, unlike a Turbo that drives itself. The scare stories are very overdone, if you treat the car with respect and drive appropriately you will not have any problems.

I've never driven a 996 Turbo so can't compare, so I suggest you book a back-to-back drive in both at a dealer that has a GT2.

Guy

The suspension of the GT2 is very firm, so if the pavement in your area is substandard, you may be visiting your dentist a little more often to have your fillings replaced. However, that firm suspension is incredible, even with slower speed corners. The car is fast, and very manageable, but I'm not a big fan of driver assisted "aids" (except ABS). I had 2 four wheel drive turbos, a '96 and an '01, and while they were probably a little more foolproof, I prefer the GT2.

I'd go for the GT2 if you use it alot for Track riding and less for everyday trips. Turbo insted if i'll need and every day car.
    If you go for the GT2 pay attention to PCCB brakes. They are a very "tricky" to use and very costly if you use the car on the track.

hi guys,you have really been helpfull,thanks for all the comments and advise,my decision based on all the facts iam going to buy a rs6 audi avant for everyday,and iam going to buy a gt3 second hand for my fun car,this hopefully will cover all aspects of my driving,the reason for going for this was after looking at the 911 there was no way that even a small adult could sit in there comfortably,but i liked the sound of the gt2 so a gt3 would give me the fun and the rs6 as my family car that can be driven in the rain etc.

simon

sound like u want a turbo with x50 + pse. that will make you 32!

Good call the GT3 is a great ride and you will like it a lot. But I still think the TT with X50 is the way to go for myself.

I have owned both a 996TT and now have a GT2 and if you can get a good used GT2 for a good price I think it is the way to go even if you never track the car. And the GT2 is no problem in the rain and probably has better traction than your E55 due to the limited slip dif.

Simon,

How is your wife's R32? I am planning on buying a Jazz Blue R32 here in the US when they are available late winter 04'. Is it a fun car? Any major problems? I hear it sounds great and drives even better from the magazines I read. I am also a big fan of VAG.

Best wishes with your selection of GT3 & RS6. Combined they are basically the cost of 1 GT2. You are definitely making a great decision.

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mike

hi again boys,stop trying to mess with my mind ha!ha!,my decision has been made on needing a fast family car and a fun car for the odd track day etc,mike reference the r32 great fun,fantastic sound,handles like a go kart,i have owned several fast little track type cars including a makinen evo 6.5 and this r32 gives more fun than that,and for Pounds25,000 sterling its great value in my mind,jackie uses as a everyday car for dropping the kids at school,shopping etc and its hard to get her out of it,she had a audi s3 before but found it to sedate,get a test drive the sound is worth Pounds25k on its own,hope this helps.

regards simon

Simon, now this is interesting. I just sold around 8 months ago my 996 Turbo RS-Tuning to go for a Mercedes E55 AMG.
    Reason: I'm married and have two little kids (almost 3 years and 2 months old) and never had the time to drive the Porsche. So I decided to buy something fast, a "family Porsche". Now let me get to the point: yes, the E55 is a limousine for older people, I am 38 now and I'd have never bought a E55 if I hadn't have the kids.
    Traction on the E55 is awful, I just improved it substantially by having a 30% limited slip differential installed by AMG. AMG also took care of a power problem, they modified my Speedshift to keep the gear in manual mode and I also had the car delimited by AMG to 300 kph.
    Is my E55 fun now? Yes, it is, especially now with the LSD. Do I miss my 996 Turbo? Yes, I really miss it. Sounds weird? Maybe.

To make it easier for you: I think you should go for a 996 Turbo because it has AWD and this can be very helpful, especially in England. The GT2 is a great racer, a wonderful sports car but it sometimes has traction difficulties too (of course not as awful as on the E55!), especially on wet pavement. Another choice would be a Mercedes SL55 AMG which delivers the same great power as the E55 but the drive feel is more sporty and the lower seating position alone makes you actually feel driving a sports car and not a limousine.

I hope this helps a little bit with your decision, good luck.

Guys you have all been really helpfull,iam going to miss the grunt from the e55,but the traction as you say is non existent,i should of learnt this from my c43 amg i had,we went on our holidays to kitzbuhel a few years ago,and the c43 got stranded on icey roads,not snowy just ice,there were little fiat pandas in and out of the hotel car park,but the 43 refused to play ball,the road conditions were not that bad,but automatic/fat wheels and 350 bhp do not mix,the car was left for 10 days before we could even get it out of the car park,It was very embarrasing,especially when the hotel manager said buy a smart car this goes anywhere any conditions,but i loved the grunt,sound,feeling this car gave,thats why i ordered the 55,but sorry it does not sound as good as the c43 and being much larger feels almost twice as big as the 43,so by buying a rs6 avant and the porcshe i kill two birds with one stone and get one heavy bill to settle.I just hope that this is the right decision as the loss you make on these cars is big.

simon

Thanks Simon on your words about the R32. I'm excited to get one

You won't be dissapointed with the RS6. With the addition of some snow tires, the Quattro system will leave you nothing but impressed.

Mike

well you've decided, but just to say i have had TT's, GT2's and my second gt3 arrives tomorrow and they are all great cars. the RS solves your winter, and the gt3 is great fun.

Roadhog, I think you've made the best decision given your needs.
    With the RS6 you have an extremely fast and competent car (probably not as fast as an E55 but close enough) which is also very safe and has incredible traction for winter time.
    Getting the GT3 (you should get the clubsport, especially if thinking of buying a mk1 car) you will get the purest and most thrilling 996 (even considering the GT2) which will give you the most fun for track and weekend journeys.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691168 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410239 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256270 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235434 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65759 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858879 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775191 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM