Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: My big objection

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    I can't stand the idea of seeing "The Wart" staring out at me in white or silver - too much of a distraction. Better to hide it with a black dial and forgo the silver dials which still look too ricer anyway IMNSHO

You can remove the wart entirely, all you have to come up with is some sort of fake speaker grille or patch to cover the hole.

Guys,

I'm just about to order my 997S, and much prefer the black (it's a no cost option here in the UK) - however, from above did i read that even if you order in black, the sport-chrono-fuggly-watch thing stays in white???

Thanks, Ash

but you can order that also in black

no, the wart is black if you order black - at least mine went black and i don't think that was a mistake from porsche's side.

actually, if you order the car stock without sport chrono you could add it later via tequipment and ask the dealer to not make a hole in your dashboard... voila!

Problem with the SC dial face is you can't get it in any colors. So of you order red dials you get a black SC (on the 997) and a silver (white) SC (on the S). If you order black dials on the S you get black SC. IOW, you can never get a SC in a color other than black or white.

i have some nice crayolas to borrow if you like to have a red wart?

Quote:
    bluelines said:
    if you order the car stock without sport chrono you could add it later via tequipment

I hear it's rather very certain that we'll NEVER be able to retrofit Sport Chrono. I hope I'm wrong but there were some posts from guys who know alot more than I do a while ago which absolutely killed any hope of a SC retrofit.

I don't understand the "hang-up" over the dial colors. Forget what kids in hatchbacks use. Back in the era of the classics, there were no rules or inbred stigmas on gauge colors, and things were far more interesting and artistic. You worried more about what was more aesthetically pleasing, not what you do or don't want to be alligned with or confused with.

So what if white or aluminum gauges are popular among the street-racer set. I'm not letting them HIJACK my freedom to make my interior look pleasing to the eye. I say, whatever looks good to you, and doesn't run totally counter to function, is fine...

BTW, I love my Aluminum-look gauges, it ties together with the other highlights in my interior. Black gauges would stick-out as not belonging in my Terracotta and aluminum cabin. If I had a different color scheme going on, maybe black would be the more stylish way to go. Both gauges are easy to read, and not distracting, in my view.

I also don't understand the fixation on the "wart". Get over it, and pay more attention to the road. It's not going to jump off the dash and bite your ear off, or sprout up a family of malignant mutant warts, is it??

just bend off the wart with a screwdriver and put one of these in the hole... it is xmas after all

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    or sprout up a family of malignant mutant warts, is it??

P charges extra for that..

throt..

I decided to switch out my silver gauges for a set of dancin' flame gauges.

What color gages with a white exterior, black dash and sand interior?

Quote:
    P997C2S said:
    I decided to switch out my silver gauges for a set of dancin' flame gauges.

Oh!! THAT must be the new Corvette "heads up" display! WOW I feel just like I'm driving an F16 with afterburners locked on!!!

Throt, where you been ol' man?

prefer black dials as they hide un-lit bckground indicators better.
    btw, abt this 'flaming speedo' - do flames go higher as you go faster???

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I also don't understand the fixation on the "wart". Get over it, and pay more attention to the road. It's not going to jump off the dash and bite your ear off, or sprout up a family of malignant mutant warts, is it??

I agree--just something for folks to talk and gripe about. I like the throttle response, relaxed PSM and for mine, a Tiptronic, the vastly different and better shift patterns that come from the Sports Chrono in sport mode. And besides, the chrono makes a nice place to put my sunglasses

On gauge color, I love the black gauges in my club coupe--and I've owned 4 Porsches with the aluminum faced gauges which I liked too. But there's something about the 997 dash cluster which makes the black look really, really good, better than the aluminum/white ones. And the black ones are really crisp, very readable at night. Go black.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:

No, but it's ugly.

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:

No, but it's ugly.

So are seatbelts

So's your e-brake handle in the middle of the cabin

So's your airbag steering wheel

So's your rearview mirror

Yet I've never seen any threads lamenting these areas, as we accept the function over the aesthetic, and move on. Porsche was right in putting the watch up high where you could see it in your peripheral, and where it could be swiveled so a rider could easily see and record lap times. For the purpose of its function, it's just what the doctor ordered.

The problem here is that most of us NEVER need it for the function it's designed for, so you bitch that it's there bugging you.

I'm not saying it's a work of art, I'm saying, "who cares". It's not a pile of dog doo on your dash, it's a nicely detailed little clock in a pod. I don't find it necessarily beautiful OR ugly, and I don't get why it's such an obsession.

I respectfully suggest this about the wart.

The original 911 had a beautifully functional and clean interior, slapping the wart on the dash subverts Porsche's claim of paying homage to the iconic 911.

The thing slapped on the dash screams "aftermarket" and "poser." It has these faults because it's "bread loaf" shape belongs to the 996 styling vocabulary (not 997) and could easily be integrated into the PCM. It's a poser thing because it's for timing laps which maybe 1 percent of Carrera buyers actually do (?). Embarassingly if you use the most prominent feature of the interior for it's specific, dedicated, sole, singular, intended purpose(for the track) you void the car's warrenty!

So yeah it's just a piece of equipment for the car, sure. But it occupies a most prominent spot and has associations which I personally find..., well..., maybe embarassing of Porsche (like the quad tailpipes).

Then again it's just a hobby thing, so you make some good points too Bossnine

I second the opinion expressed by RAKLAW. The 997 I have on order will be a cocoa brown interior with white instrument dials. I wanted to provide some contrast to all the dark brown leather.

Quote:
    AS said:
    btw, abt this 'flaming speedo' - do flames go higher as you go faster???

They dance!

All my prev 911s had the classic black dials until current car . I find the alum dials much easier to read on sunny days where the red pointer on the tach really stands out on peripheral downward vision . With black dials and the sun in your face, the gauge pointers are harder to pick up at a quick glance down.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:

No, but it's ugly.

So are seatbelts

So's your e-brake handle in the middle of the cabin

So's your airbag steering wheel

So's your rearview mirror

Yet I've never seen any threads lamenting these areas, as we accept the function over the aesthetic, and move on. Porsche was right in putting the watch up high where you could see it in your peripheral, and where it could be swiveled so a rider could easily see and record lap times. For the purpose of its function, it's just what the doctor ordered.

The problem here is that most of us NEVER need it for the function it's designed for, so you bitch that it's there bugging you.

I'm not saying it's a work of art, I'm saying, "who cares". It's not a pile of dog doo on your dash, it's a nicely detailed little clock in a pod. I don't find it necessarily beautiful OR ugly, and I don't get why it's such an obsession.

Unlike those items you've listed, the wart is (a) new and (b) optional, so it's naturally going to get attention.

You have a very keen eyes for aesthetics Bossnine, so it should be easy for you to understand that some folks find the wart particularly ugly. It's just personal taste. The wart isn't needed there. It seems to me that if you're trying to shave time off of a lap, you're not going to be looking at that tiny dial or it's tiny digital readout - your eyes will be on the road where they should be. You can check your time afterwards, or it could be displayed in big bold numbers on the monitor in the dash or with a heads up display even. You'll be looking when you're on an uncrowded straightaway, so it could be in any of those areas. That wart is a styling touch rather than a truly functional part of the car IMO. It appears on Porsche dashes at a time when other manufacturers are finding it stylish to place an analogue clock somewhere in the center of the dash (Infiniti especially). As such, those who think it's ugly can get as insensed about it as an ugly fixed rear spoiler, or the quality of the interior materials, or the details on 18 or 19 inch wheels, or any optional, non-essential component that's mostly, after all, about style.

Actually, maybe we as consumers are to blame for the wart. Sometimes we tend to get caught up in things like the color of the brake calipers to know which they are or the difference in the tailpipes to see if it's a standard Carrera or the Carrera S. I think the wart on the dash looks dumb and that the clock should've just been incorporated into the PCM. If the wart wasn't on the dash, we'd be scratching our heads asking ourselves if it has the sport chrono package or not.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778062 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442024 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262943 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261186 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85451 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5694 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880859 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816437 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM