Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Thank you Mike Valentine!!

Here it is the day after I had my Valentine One installed, and I'm cruising down a street (35 mph speed limit) and am accelerating when I hear a loud brap and the arrow is facing rear, so I step on the brakes (was going 50) and a minute later I see a black Crown Vic a few hundred yards behind me. At the next stop sign, the cop pulls up next to me, and says "you were going a little fast back there" and pulls away. Wow!

Re: Thank you Mike Valentine!!

It's so nice to hear from satisfied customers. Thanks for telling me.

@Mike,

one question, are these things gonna work here in Germany and how much do you charge s&h?

Greets,

Getaway

Quote:
    @Mike, one question, are these things gonna work here in Germany and how much do you charge s&h?

We don't export beyond the western three provinces of Canada.

From my web site:

" I travel a lot in Europe. Will V1 work over there?
    - R.K., New York

Yes, with a few caveats. K and Ka bands there are the same as in the US, so all V1s (after a few very-early models) will work as good there as here. Ku band is found in Netherlands, Belgium and sometimes the UK (but not in the US). We've recently added Ku coverage with serial numbers ending 0600 or higher. Earlier V1s do not cover Ku.
    What the Europeans call X band is sometimes different from the X band used in the US. So even the latest V1 could have this one blind spot.

Back to Ku for a moment, current-production V1s have coverage on that band installed but not "activated" as they leave the factory. For do-it-yourself instructions on activation, see www.valentine1.com/lab/mikeslabrpt3.asp elsewhere in this site."

Mike,

You may have been asked this before, but do you think you'd ever offer a version that allows for permanent, concealed installation?

I was thinking along the lines of a version with a physically separate front detector, rear detector, main unit and display. The first three pieces would be permanently installed in appropriate areas of the vehicle but wouldn't require access and could be hidden from view. The display could be the current remote display that you offer, or the "in-the-rearview mirror" that a couple of aftermarket vendors have developed.

I would be very interested in a product that could be well integrated into the vehicle and do know many others that would be as well.

Reaction?

Thanks,
    Charles

Quote:
    Mike,

You may have been asked this before, but do you think you'd ever offer a version that allows for permanent, concealed installation?

Charles,

Here's a link that specifically answers your question.

Mike,

Thanks for posting the link to your Ask Mike site. I read the test reports and FAQs on laser detection with great interest, as laser is becoming used heavily by the MD State Police. I read on your FAQ that you will not consider making a laser jammer (whatever that is) but I have also heard about so-called laser diffusers, that are supposed to disrupt the light beam being reflected back to the gun. Are these for real and do you plan to get into this area? Are there any other techniques to help either detect laser guns or prevent them from detecting me?

TIA

Karl

Quote:
    Mike,

I was thinking along the lines of a version with a physically separate front detector, rear detector, main unit and display. The first three pieces would be permanently installed in appropriate areas of the vehicle but wouldn't require access and could be hidden from view. The display could be the current remote display that you offer, or the "in-the-rearview mirror" that a couple of aftermarket vendors have developed.

I would be very interested in a product that could be well integrated into the vehicle and do know many others that would be as well.

Reaction?

Thanks,
    Charles

There is a product that snooper do that gives you a GPS system along with cover for XK and all the other baddies out there.

There is also a jammer attachment for lazer that comes in handy....

This is concealed in the grill as you described.

Might be worth a look.

Mike,

Do any Police use the X-band anymore? The only time my V1 goes off legitimately from x-band radar, it's one of those signs that tell you how fast you're going. So I just ignore the X-band when it goes off. I find that 98%+ of the time police near me use Ka-band, and the other 2% its laser, which means I get ticketed.

Quote:
    Mike,

Thanks for posting the link to your Ask Mike site. I read the test reports and FAQs on laser detection with great interest, as laser is becoming used heavily by the MD State Police. I read on your FAQ that you will not consider making a laser jammer (whatever that is) but I have also heard about so-called laser diffusers, that are supposed to disrupt the light beam being reflected back to the gun. Are these for real and do you plan to get into this area? Are there any other techniques to help either detect laser guns or prevent them from detecting me?

TIA

Karl

Hi Carl,

"Diffusers" are jammers by a different name. It's only a symantic marketing difference meant to soften the image as not being combative with the police. There is no difference between the two categories except the wording.

Detection, jamming, and low-observability are the three laser-protection games available. Here's a link to explain where to mount your detector for maximum early warning opportunity.

Jamming is workable, but our company is not prepared to produce a jamming product because it crosses the line from knowing ones environment over to electronic combat with the police. It's a philosophical thing for me.

Low-observability has a limited, but useful role to play. It turns out that clean gloss-black paint is a very good color for anti-reflectivity. Gloss black is 10 times better at absorbing (instead of reflecting) 904 nm laser light than is metallic black! Gloss black is 100 times more absorbtive than brighter colors like silver, white, yellow, red, medium blues, green, etc.

But, even if one goes total gloss black, there are other targets like the head lamps, number plates, regulation-required reflectors (quite nasty in the back view of a car), etc, with which one must contend. Low-observability is way too complicated to turn into a running discussion here, but it is fun to think about. It turns out to be not very practical for every day vehicles without drawing undue notice from pubilc servants.

Quote:
    Mike,

Do any Police use the X-band anymore?

Hi Ben,

The Ohio State Highway Patrol just loves their X-band stuff. So does New Jersey's state police. Lately, I have noticed that some newer Ka-band equipment is starting to make inroads in the OSHP roster. They have X-band AND laser in almost every patrol car (data from personal observation).

Country roads everywhere are another matter. As a general rule, the farther away from civilization one travels, the more likely it is to find X-Band radar. Most of the poorer rural places in the US have hand-me-down radar equipment that bigger (more well funded) agencies have donated to them. Therefore, travel in the boonies greatly increases ones chances of finding older technology radars, like X-band.

Quote:
    @Mike,

one question, are these things gonna work here in Germany and how much do you charge s&h?

Greets,

Getaway

there are radar warners in Germany, but sadly they are illegal - you get a fine plus the warner gets confiscated and trashed afterwards...

I've owned my 996 for 5 years and managed to get only 1 ticket during this time. The one time I received a ticket was within Los Angeles metro area WITHOUT the Valentine One turned on.
    It has saved me from numerous tickets over the years especially when I made the fast trips out to Las Vegas!

Thanks Mike V, your product is tops!

Quote:
    @Mike,

Greets,

Getaway

Mike won't like what I'm saying but I think in Germany, a radar warner is pretty useless. Why? Because you have to be blind not to see a stationary radar speed trap (I managed not to get one single radar ticket in the past 10 years), they're usually hidden in cars parked on the right or in bushes, traffic signs, etc. If you're really on the outlook for a stationary radar speed trap, you usually have a good chance to see it in time.
    The problem in Germany is the usage of light sensor speed traps (pretty common), laser speed traps (not very common) and on the Autobahn the "famous" moving video speed traps.
    The V1 can help against the laser speed traps but not against the light sensor and video speed traps. So it might give a certain amount of unjustified safety and this is actually the most dangerous thing because you get used to it and forget about other dangers despite radar and laser.

I usually use my own rule: if you're able to see a radar speed trap in time, you're also able to see a child running over the street. This is why I sometimes drive a little bit faster than I should but I never exaggerate or turn off my brains completely. It works for me and it should work for others.
    The US however is of course a completely different story because radar speed traps are usually moving (cops) and they don't need to take a picture of you, so they're much more difficult to spot by sight.

i own a V-1 (and i'm from germany)... what RC wrote is correct. one further problem is the new toll system. for the V-1 these installments are assumed speed traps and even if you can interpet the false alarm it's quite annoying -- these toll stations are spawning like crazy.

and, not to forget, the use of radar detectors is forbidden by law in germany. so the problem of "speed-trap-paranoia" might by cured a little bit but is changing to "police-might-confiscate-my-V1-paranoia"

but i will not withhold that the V-1 saved me sometimes! especially on country roads this thing can be very useful.

and it's a nice gimmick with it's blinking and beeping -- all my co-drivers have been very impressed when the V-1 was installed, especially at night. very knightrider-esque!!

Quote:

and it's a nice gimmick with it's blinking and beeping -- all my co-drivers have been very impressed when the V-1 was installed, especially at night. very knightrider-esque!!

You should try the G-Timer 2, it is blinking, probably pretty useless and Knightrider-esque too, only problem is that german police thinks this is a radar warner and so they already stopped me twice and it took me several minutes to explain what a G-Timer 2 is and why all those numbers, lights and graphics blink.

Quote:
    Mike won't like what I'm saying but I think in Germany, a radar warner is pretty useless.

I don't mind what you're saying. The V1 is specifically designed to operate in the USA/western-Canada threat environment that is dominated by moving radars mounted on patrol cars. It excells in providing situation awareness where a radar trap can be hiding over any hill crest or around any corner, appearing out of nowhere.

It is also useful against the much weaker signals from stationary camera radars (a few can be found in the USA, too) because it is has higher electronic sensitivity than other detectors.

That some (but not all) users outside of the market for which it was designed find it useful I consider an added bonus.

Quote:
    I usually use my own rule: if you're able to see a radar speed trap in time, you're also able to see a child running over the street. This is why I sometimes drive a little bit faster than I should but I never exaggerate or turn off my brains completely. It works for me and it should work for others.

Just try the B303 (area of Coburg) 2-3 times, or so. I bet they will get you! Why? They are using latest stage laser equipment, measuring speeds over a distance of up to 500 meters! They have taken your speed of travelling before you will notice a police car or anything similar.

Thanks Mike, I'm a happy owner of two of your detectors. Keep up the good work.

Quote:
    Just try the B303 (area of Coburg) 2-3 times, or so. I bet they will get you! Why? They are using latest stage laser equipment, measuring speeds over a distance of up to 500 meters! They have taken your speed of travelling before you will notice a police car or anything similar.

I didn't want to sound arrogant and you're right, it can happen but it didn't for the past 10 years.
    I have another rule: if there is a speed limit and the street goes pretty straight, I usually obey the speed limit. I had once a police car (they weren't in uniform and the car was a dark colored Audi A6 without markings) going after me on a country road near Starnberg/Munich. After they stopped me, they asked me about my strange behaviour. What happened? On the straights, I was driving around 110 kph and in curves much more. I confessed that I wanted to have some fun and after they checked my breath , they gave me a "warning" (10 Euro only ). Afterwards we were speaking around 15 minutes about my car (I had the 996 Turbo by that time). Very nice guys and I was lucky.

Most radar/laser systems don't work in curves and they usually have a difficult time in deep forrest areas.
    I also have some very nice completely deserted country roads in the Munich area with lots of very nice curves. You can overlook these streets from miles away, which makes them pretty safe for fast driving. But of course it is much more fun to drive to the track because it is more safe, you can drive faster and you don't have to worry about a ticket.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752997 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430661 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258574 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255447 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868269 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801810 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM