Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Carrera GT Test

German "auto motor und sport" has tested the Carrera GT in its current issue:

-60 2,0s
    -80 2,9s
    -100 3,8s
    -120 4,7s
    -130 5,2s
    -140 6,1s
    -160 7,3s
    -180 8,9s
    -200 10,9s

Vmax: 330 km/h

weight: 1472 kg

consumption 18,6 l/100 km

Amazing figures

regards
    sr

Re: Carrera GT Test

Dissapointing!!!!!!!

what did you expect? below 10 sec for the 0-200 sprint? or lower weight? or both? the weight is only a little bit heavier than stated on the porsche website (the test car came with A/C) and the 0-100 figure is 0,1 sec better than officially claimed by the PAG.

however, i am currently reading this test. the do like the car (rating: 5 of 5 stars) but the clutch seems to be very heavy and quite difficult to handle -- because of this "the first launch attempt is doomed to failure" (rough translation).

The acceleration above 100km/h is not what Porsche stated,a whole second slower than stated actually.
    And it seems that the clutch is not problem since it posted 3.8s to 100.
    0-100km/h is not interesting anyway.
    This is not what I expected from Porsche,they are usually very conservative about their statements,it's sad that their top product could not achieve what promised.

the clutch seems to be very good and durable but quite difficult to handle for the untrained. makes the car even cooler in my eyes.

i've never read any official 0-200 figures from PAG. if they claimed that the car hits 200 in below 10 secs and having in mind that PAG test cars are handpicked, the AMS 0-200 kph figure is indeed disappointing.

however in the review it's written that there's consistent thrust up to 280 kph. and that 330 kph can be reached easily as well.

really impressive are the brakes: 12,5 m/s2 for 200 kph to zero.

quite impressive but I already had thought that the CGT will not do 200kph under 10s. 9,9 always sound a bit optimistik. But who knows, it depends on the driver and on the conditions. I don't think they had optimal conditions although, the did 3,8s to 100.
    Did AMS already test the Enzo? I far as I rember not. This would be interesting. Direct comparison, form 0-100/200/300.
    What ever, I'm sure the CGT will beat the Enzo on every track, although the Enzo should be faster at the straightline.

Avi

Porsche stated 9,9 s from 0-200 km/h? I seem to have forgotten that.
    Well, I change my "amazing" from the first post into "disappointing"

Such big differences between the official and tested figures at Porsche models (especially differences in the "wrong" direction) are at least unusual.

regards
    sr

"Porsche stated 9,9 s from 0-200 km/h? I seem to have forgotten that."

yep, i've got plenty of company published literature stating 9.9

the weight is slightly disppointing to me at 3245 lbs (about the same thing my c2 cab weighs full of gas without the rear seats and spare).

10.9 sec is really disappointing. Modified 996tt in the 560hp+ range (e.g. RS, ruf) are also located in the range below 11 sec. (according to tests in sport auto and autozeitung, respectively). For these cars top speed is also higher than for the GT, and, given the much higher torque of these tts, they are likely to accelerate quicker above 200km/h than the GT.

I can only hope that the car tested at AMS was an underperformer. Although this appears rather unlikely given the track record of overperformers in recent AMS tests...

The wight of the car is stated at 1380kg (No A/C or stereo)
    I have been told by Porsche that those two options would add 50kg to the overall weight. 1430kg.
    AMS 1472kg a difference of 42kg.

If Porsche doesn't come up with a really good explanation of these figures I think they are going to get some cancelled orders soon.

I honestly expected the figure 0-200 to be somewhere around 9.5-9.7s since Porsche has always been very conservative.

Porsche Carrera GT ( AMS Test numbers)

Official Info.

Max permissable weight: 1600 kg ( 1630 kg )
    unladen weight: 1380 kg :no A/C or stereo.
    With those options approx: 1430 kg ( 1472 kg )

0-100: 3.9 sec ( 3.8 sec )
    0-160: 6.9 sec ( 7.3 sec )
    0-200: 9.9 sec ( 10.9 sec )

5th gear: 80-120: 4.0 sec ( 4.6 sec )

Standing-start kilometre: 20.0 sec ( Not measured )
    Quarter mile: 11.4 sec ( Not measured )

Top speed: 330 km/h ( Not measured )

Braking warm 100-0: No official info ( 37m )
    Braking warm 220-0: No official info ( 147m - 12.5m/s )

now i get it why you are disappointed!

PS. i've seen the GT3 RS today at my dealer. my impression was that it looks like a toy, like a matchbox car. awesome, though!

Quote:
    10.9 sec is really disappointing.

I agree. Anything over 10 seconds is a major disappointment but we shouldn't forget the other CGT qualities (in the hands of a pro of course).
    Maybe Porsche should start understanding that some 996 Turbo are driving around with 540 HP and even much more and that customers want more power. But I guess selling 800 HP on a CGT without PSM would be almost impossible. Unless some customers want to kill themselves instantly.

Was the tested car from the pool of press cars (and perhaps somewhat abused and less than healthy) or was it supplied directly from Porsche specifically for the AMS test?

It was one of the press cars,a red one.

The credibility of Porsche has been seriously damaged by this test.
    Unless 2-3 other magazines don't get the results that Porsche has stated the damage will be permanent,and these tests should be done as fast as possible.

So what if it weighs more and its time to 100mph is slightly slower than anticipated. Will everything be alright if the CGT turns the best time on the Ring?

My concern would be the clutch. Just about everyone that has driven the car has had the same compliant. On a track it would not be an issue but for daily driving it will be a huge problem.

Look this is a race car that is street legal. It is designed to be driven by professionals. Many will have the car as a trophy piece and others will try to drive it as he is meant to be driven. Most if not all will fail.

Quote:
    My concern would be the clutch. Just about everyone that has driven the car has had the same compliant. On a track it would not be an issue but for daily driving it will be a huge problem.

Look this is a race car that is street legal. It is designed to be driven by professionals. Many will have the car as a trophy piece and others will try to drive it as he is meant to be driven. Most if not all will fail.

Well, ... speak for yourself about who will fail or not, OK?

I agree with you that all will be forgiven if the CGT turns in superlative lap times compared to the Enzo.

I don't agree that the clutch is a show stopper. It may merely require a different technique than other cars. Apparently, the engine management system is good enough at maintaining the idle speed that it can make up for the inertia load of engaging the clutch at idle without stalling the engine. This is the Roland-Kussmaul-recommended technique for launching the car -- let off the clutch pedal without pressing on the gas in first gear!

The engine has such a light flywheel that the idle air control has to be very precise and quite fast to smooth the idle speed. A little more Bessel-damped servo loop gain is all that's needed to keep the engine running when releasing the clutch in first gear while still at idle.

I am prepared to think this is actually very cool. YMMV!

The test driver for EVO used that techique and wrote that it helped. However he indicated it would not be very practical in a daily driver situation.

You seem very assured about your driving abilities. I hope you are as good as you think. You will need it. The GT2 is a handful and the CGT is far beyond it in terms of performance.

Quote:
    You seem very assured about your driving abilities. I hope you are as good as you think. You will need it. The GT2 is a handful and the CGT is far beyond it in terms of performance.

Only time will tell. It's not the sheer performance I am talking about, but how accessable it is in a given car. I fully expect to get a higher percentage of the GGT's innate performance than the percentage available within my talents in a GT2. I recall other posters on this forum making the same point. I'm no Tiff Needel, but I plan on hugely enjoying the driving experience of the Carrera GT.

Nick - you seem to be very intimidated by some of the sports cars that you own (and plan to own). I suggest that you do some laps with an instructor in a safe setting. I think you may appreciate the car more and fear it less (without losing heathy respect). I'm confident that many people on this forum can enjoy a substantial piece of the performance envelope of the CGT without nearly killing themselves, especially someone like Mike who has alot of experience in tricky sports cars like the RSR...

I have a healthy respect for high performance sport cars which I learned from the several courses I have taken.

All too often many believed their abilities were far greater than they actually are. I have no idea if Mike is a good driver or not. My point is even if he is, this car probably is far beyond what he can handle. How do I know that? Comments from the designer (Roehl) and the various articles writtten by people that have driven the car. The sense I get is this car is for track to be driven only by a professional.

Mike is not a professional.

Quote:
    I have no idea if Mike is a good driver or not. My point is even if he is, this car probably is far beyond what he can handle. How do I know that? Comments from the designer (Roehl) and the various articles writtten by people that have driven the car. The sense I get is this car is for track to be driven only by a professional.

Mike is not a professional.

Nick -- Your flair for flattery never ceases to amaze

this non-professional fully intends to enjoy hell out of driving his fantastic CGT! you ought to just buy one nick so you can have fun driving it like me instead of making up silly (and weak) stuff as a rationalization for why you shouldn't buy one. if you can't afford it, no biggie - just admit that to yourself. if you can, but can't justify the outlay for a stupid car - just admit that to yourself. but "please" stop the stupid arguments for how this car is anything less than the absolute rush that any "driver" in the world would love to experience and that 99% would give their left nut to own. it could be worse - we could be stuck driving a 360 because for some reason we didn't have a CGT.

Oh my we are being defensive regarding purchasing the CGT.

Whether I can afford it is irrelevant. I have indicated I would love to own one but find it difficult to go out a buy one for that price. I am glad to hear you are going to drive the hell out of it. Since you do not track your cars just exactly where will you do that? Maybe you could rent a vacant airfield like Porsche, put up some cones and have a ball.

I suspect for street driving your SC 996 Cab. will give you all the rush you need or be able to handle.

Ben the CGT you are buying will be your trophy car but you will not admit it.

Finally I will not even try to compare a 360 to the CGT. However there is one thing I do know. I can walk into a Porsche dealer TODAY, TOMORROW AND 6 MONTHS FROM NOW AND BUY A CGT. Try buying a new 360 from a dealer.

Nick, I could walk into my Porsche dealer tomorrow and buy the 360 Spyder they have sitting in the showroom rather than waiting for my GT3 to be delivered in the spring. I don't because I want a sports car, not a car that's the darling of the poseur crowd willing to pay a huge markup over retail to glory in the reaming they took in the name of exclusivity. Sure it's a great investment if you can buy the car near retail and flip it to those waiting for their badge of reaming but where's the fun in that? I want the experience to be about the car, not the money.

Nick,

By chance do you live near the Rancho Sante Fe area? I may have seen you around your country club.

Quote:
    Dissapointing!!!!!!!

Today I heard that the test conditions weren't very good. It was pretty moisty, pavement wasn't completely dry and apparently (not confirmed yet), the test drivers left the ASR turned on during testing.
    This could explain the second from 0-200 kph (125 mph).

Bare in mind that whatever the conditions the start couldn`t have been that bad since it posted 3.8 sec to 100km/h.

I am awaiting an explanation by Porsche (Weissach) for this failure both regarding the weight and the times posted at the test.

I'm gonan stick my big unwelcome ass into this discussion. As you know I'm a big Merc fan, and although I'm not thr "hater" type as you see on every other forum, I really admire and respect Porsche, hugely.

But 10.9 seconds???

Here it comes.....

The SLR weighing 1768kg, with driver and passenger, 60kg luggage, full tank of fuel, and AC on full does that sprint in 10.6 seconds...

Now THAT is achievement, since its typical Mercedes conservative nature numbers....

Fell free to criticise and contradict, I'm here to learn. I'll start off...

1). Straight line speed is not everything man.
    2). Dude its an AUTO
    3). Oh, not that luxo-barge from Mercedes again.
    4). See no.1 & 2.
    5).???

Bilal

Quote:
    Fell free to criticise and contradict, I'm here to learn. I'll start off...

1). Straight line speed is not everything man.
    2). Dude its an AUTO
    3). Oh, not that luxo-barge from Mercedes again.
    4). See no.1 & 2.
    5).???

I think I'm gonna stick with numbers 3 and 4

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753063 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430698 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258591 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255454 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79501 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868303 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801855 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM