Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Trying to decide on my choice...hope you can help!

Hi everyone. As you may know, I've been planning for some time now to order a 997S. I hope to do so next year.

Unfortunately, I have to delay taking delivery until after 28 February 2007 so that I have at least 5 years no claims bonus on my car insurance. I only have 3 years NCB right now. (In case you're wondering, no, I haven't made a claim or had an accident...ever. I just never owned a car in my own name so I never built up a NCB of my own.)

With 5 years NCB, I can get an insurance quotation of about GBP1050 for 10 months cover (bonus accelerator scheme) with elephant.co.uk and Bell Direct (including my wife on the policy as well - she's only 25 right now so I consider that a real bargain).

<<sighs>> Where do I start guys. I've been visiting this webforum since November 2004. Although the waiting (just to place an order) is so painful - it really hurts - (I know you guys KNOW exactly how it feels to wait) , I've passed the time productively by learning as much as I can from all the knowledgeable people here. I've made some (virtual) friends and I hope other people here have found my posts useful and/or sometimes thought-provoking. I suppose I could say that, although I don't own, nor have I ordered, a Porsche yet, I just hope that some people here like me hanging around.

Anyway, I keep telling myself that waiting a bit longer allows me to add part of another bonus towards paying for the new car.

Still, my excitement keeps making me get carried away making me want to decide on my spec list. So, this is what I currently would like to get. I know I've asked you guys once before but I'd be really grateful if you guys could tell me what you think. Any views/suggestions/alternatives etc will be welcome!

997 C2S coupe with manual transmission
    GT silver with cocoa full leather interior
    P17 -20mm sports suspension with mechanical rear differential lock
    640 Sport chrono package plus
    650 Electric tilt/slide sunroof
    XLF Sports exhaust
    407 19" SportDesign wheels
    446 Wheel centres with full colour Porsche crest
    P12 Auto dimming interior & exterior mirrors with rain sensor
    482 Tyre pressure monitoring system
    Aluminium instrument dials
    XTV Door trim in leather
    P01 Adaptive sports seats
    342 Seat heating
    XSH Seat belts in silver grey
    XSC Porsche crest in head restraints
    XMZ Rear section of centre console in leather
    Floor mats (cocoa with silver grey edging)
    X70 Door entry guards in stainless steel
    670 PCM Navigation module (Is the 672 Extended Navigation Module worth getting?)
    680 Bose sound system
    692 CDC-4 6 CD auto-changer
    666 Telephone module for PCM
    900 Factory collection 911
    Porsche Driving Experience
    Porsche Exclusive: centre console storage bin lid in standard leather with 'Carrera S' logo
    Tequipment 911 fuel filler cap with aluminium look finish
    Tequipment 911 Porsche Charge-o-mat II
    Porsche Vehicle Tracking system
    New Road Angel
    Warranty extension

I am not sure whether to get the following:

635 ParkAssist
    XCZ Short shifter
    XZD Interior light surround in leather

NB: the following items are UK standard specification for the 997S:

567 Grey top tint on windscreen
    Full leather interior
    Clear side indicator lenses

I'm still waiting for further news on the availability of:

- iPod MOST connectivity (from Porsche or Dension iceLink Plus)
    - Digital DAB radio
    - 671 Voice control for PCM

Thanks for your input on this guys...Have a great weekend.

Re: Trying to decide on my choice...hope you can help!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Hi everyone. As you may know, I've been planning for some time now to order a 997S. I hope to do so next year.

Unfortunately, I have to delay taking delivery until after 28 February 2007 so that I have at least 5 years no claims bonus on my car insurance. I only have 3 years NCB right now. (In case you're wondering, no, I haven't made a claim or had an accident...ever. I just never owned a car in my own name so I never built up a NCB of my own.)

With 5 years NCB, I can get an insurance quotation of about GBP1050 for 10 months cover (bonus accelerator scheme) with elephant.co.uk and Bell Direct (including my wife on the policy as well - she's only 25 right now so I consider that a real bargain).

<<sighs>> Where do I start guys. I've been visiting this webforum since November 2004. Although the waiting (just to place an order) is so painful - it really hurts - (I know you guys KNOW exactly how it feels to wait) , I've passed the time productively by learning as much as I can from all the knowledgeable people here. I've made some (virtual) friends and I hope other people here have found my posts useful and/or sometimes thought-provoking. I suppose I could say that, although I don't own, nor have I ordered, a Porsche yet, I just hope that some people here like me hanging around.

Anyway, I keep telling myself that waiting a bit longer allows me to add part of another bonus towards paying for the new car.

Still, my excitement keeps making me get carried away making me want to decide on my spec list. So, this is what I currently would like to get. I know I've asked you guys once before but I'd be really grateful if you guys could tell me what you think. Any views/suggestions/alternatives etc will be welcome!

GT silver with cocoa full leather interior
    XLF Sports exhaust
    XTV Door trim in leather
    342 Seat heating
    XSH Seat belts in silver grey
    Floor mats (cocoa with silver grey edging)
    670 PCM Navigation module (Is the 672 Extended Navigation Module worth getting?)
    680 Bose sound system
    692 CDC-4 6 CD auto-changer
    666 Telephone module for PCM
    Porsche Driving Experience
    Porsche Exclusive: centre console storage bin lid in standard leather with 'Carrera S' logo
    Tequipment 911 fuel filler cap with aluminium look finish
    Tequipment 911 Porsche Charge-o-mat II
    New Road Angel
    Warranty extension

I am not sure whether to get the following:

635 ParkAssist
    XCZ Short shifter
    XZD Interior light surround in leather

Full leather interior

I'm still waiting for further news on the availability of:

- iPod MOST connectivity (from Porsche or Dension iceLink Plus)
    - Digital DAB radio
    - 671 Voice control for PCM

Thanks for your input on this guys...Have a great weekend.

With all the options you've listed, why not just buy a 997TT? You could probably get it by february 2007...

Here are the options on 997S coupe that I ordered(March 2006 delivery):
    Z4 Basalt Black
    05 Natural Leather Dark grey
    998 natural leather and following
    XSC
    XX1
    P12
    X51
    P17
    XCZ
    P01
    XXZ
    EAD
    XTL
    XMJ
    X69
    CDZ
    CUV
    CJJ

And please, do not ask about price! But, I am looking forward to it like small child(my wife's opinion)!

Well Crash, although the list looks long, it only costs GBP78,000 in total (plus any price rise in 2006) whereas I expect a 997TT will cost over GBP95,000 plus maybe another GBP10,000 in options so they're not really in the same ballpark. Anyway, since this will be my first 911, I think I should not overestimate my driving ability or my wallet.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Well Crash, although the list looks long, it only costs GBP78,000 in total (plus any price rise in 2006) whereas I expect a 997TT will cost over GBP95,000 plus maybe another GBP10,000 in options so they're not really in the same ballpark. Anyway, since this will be my first 911, I think I should not overestimate my driving ability or my wallet.

Regarding driving ability I would not worry about it, while wallet thickness on the other hand IS something to worry about . I hope you'll reach the right decision.

Hi easyrider

Great color combo and impressive IMO very well elaborated option list

Your spec seems to confirm my own observation: the longer the planning period for your P-car, the longer the option list will get....

As you still have lot of planning time ahead, you might end up with the addition of X51 and PCCB next year (just kidding)

As you have taken very much care about the interior design (very nice IMO ) you might think about the leather sunvisors also (awsome in cocoa, but maybe more important in a cab than a coupé).

Also you might vary the quite "cosy" look of the cocoa by considering to have the rear console painted in GT-silver rather than in leather finish (adds some sporty character IMO). The same might apply to the floormats - deviating black mats should provide a nice variation to the cocoa main theme and would match with the interior window frame (don't know the right technical term in english ), which comes in black in a cocoa car anyway.

Park assist maybe helpful in the City of London with much parallel parking and does not show up too much even on a silver car IMO.

I find the short-shifter a nice add-on for the 987 S (feels like more consciuos and focussed shifting), don't know from own experience how it works in the 997 S, but most guys here in Rennteam who have opted for it seem to like it very much.

Enjoy your weekend and stay brave with the wait

PS: Make sure your wife doesn't catch the P-fever - it makes the option list discussion even worse (I know what I am talking about )

I would add 635 ParkAssist. Sweet car based on the spec sheet you have put together.

ParkAssist on such a small car is like putting training wheels on a tricycle. Highly unnecessary, and the little sensors are unsightly.

Some love the sport shifter, others (like me) think that the heavier effort is too much trade-off for the shorter throws. It's a personal preference, so in the next year, try to test-drive cars with both.

The stainless door sills may be stainless, but they look cheap and cheesy, like something you'd order for $39.95 from J.C. Whitney. Not my bag, but it's just an opinion. I like the more subtle stock sills.

Other than that, jeez loueeze, that's a list of options!! I love the silver and cocoa combo, should be a beaut.

I don't understand the desire for a 6-disc changer, when it's not at arm's length. I've always found the the music you want to listen to, is invariably NOT in the cartridge that's presently loaded in the trunk. Pain in the rear, considering the one-at-a-time slot is right in front of you.

Have you left out anything on the list?

Cocoa/GT-silver is a very nice, but extremly costly combo.

I agree with 69bossnine on the changer. Especially since you can now store more than 6 "regular" discs on one mp3-disc!

Drop the CD Changer, save the $$ to put toward insurance difference and get the car now! What are you thinking!?

Scrap all the extra leather and SS door guards - these add no real trade value to your car.

Sounds great! I absolutely love the color combo...I think Arctic would be just as sweet as the GT Silver with the Cocoa- and save you some money too.

I would definitely add the thicker wheel! Not too sure about the silver seat belts.

Easy, it's very nice to know of another " waiter" who's been biding his time too. No doubt, it'll definitely be worth the long wait! It won't be too much longer for either of us. Stay strong- Bro!

Hi Easy Rider,

I'm based in London as well and I ordered my 911 at the beginning of November. I originally went for the cocoa leather, like you, but couldn't find a car to look at which had that interior.

I took a Saturday to drive around all the Porsche dealerships in the region and eventually found a basalt black / cocoa brown Carrera S in the Hammersmith dealership, which was waiting to be delivered to a customer. I have to say that I was pretty disappointed. In the brochures, the brown looks stunning and nicely understated. Unfortunately, I thought that in real life it was, for my taste, too brown and also rather shiny - something that doesn't come across in the photos. A bit like an old-fashioned brown leather sofa.

In the end I went for the dark grey natural leather, which is absolutely gorgeous, with Atlas grey paint. The rest of my spec is similar to yours.

Good luck with whichever you finally choose. Don't delay too long - the wait after ordering is bad enough. I don't actually get my car until June, although I could have had an earlier slot.

Oh, while I'm at it:

Forget the extended navigation. Do you need it to go round car parks?

The door entry guards are v. expensive for what you get.

I'd swap the dimming mirrors for cruise control or, as I prefer to think of it, the driving license protector!

The short shifter is nice. Don't worry too much about that "starting from cold" thing.

Park Assist will probably save you the cost of having it installed at least once over. The advantage isn't when parallel parking, it's when you don't see a low bollard or a high curb.

Really GREAT SPEC Easy Rider !! GT-Cocoa is a lovely combo IMO

My Boxster S

Maybe GT Silver Centre Console - I love it

Maybe Door Entry Guards in Carbon - CONTRAST with GT Silver

Leather Door Trim, VERY NICE IMO

Maybe ALU PACK on your Dash ?? Comes with Leather air vent slats !!

GOOD LUCK with the waiting (even to order), She will be worth it ,

Quote:
    Turbo 911 said:
    Scrap all the extra leather and SS door guards - these add no real trade value to your car.

DRIVING will also lower the Value, so leave her in the garage
    Everybody should order the car THEY LIKE, with the options THEY LIKE, LOOSING MONEY is a certainty, driving A PORSCHE doesn't come Cheap, that's my opinion. Reading Easy Riders spec, I think that money isn't his greatest concern.

"...In the end I went for the dark grey natural leather, which is absolutely gorgeous, with Atlas grey paint. The rest of my spec is similar to yours..."

IMO Cocoa is GORGEOUS TOO, especially with GT Silver (or other Silver-Grey Colors like Seal) !!
    If I should order Atlas Grey, I certainly would consider Natural Grey or Natural Brown (BEAUTIFUL) Full Leather because IMHO that would make A TEN TIMES better combination

Check admiral.co.uk for insurance. They are owned by the same company that runs Elephant, but are quite a bit cheaper.

No doubt about it, you have a long list of options. Let me add my 2 cents worth of comments.

P12: is a must because the car is sitting lower to the ground than most of other cars and you get dazzled by the light all the time. I regret not having it on my car.

XMZ: Great option, dont miss it. I have it on my car and its great.

Charge-O-mat II: it depends on how often you will drive the car. If its going to be your daily drive, then skip it.

XCZ: I have it on my car and I just love that option. Well worth it.

Sport Design Wheel: I have them on my car and I can tell you that they are good looking BUT a pain to clean. What ever choice you make for your wheels make sure to add 5mm spacers, they just make the car look more agressive.

635 Park assist: Its a must. Dont let peole talk you out of it, the option is very helpfull and it will save you bumper from getting few scratches. As previously mentioned the sensor are very small and much better integrated than they were on the 996.

My car is a 997S Convertable, I decided on GT Silver Cocoa interior and Cocoa top, when I went to pick up the car with my wife, we just stood there for at least five minutes just admiring the colour combo, just astonishing. I was going to post some pics but I see that Freak2 beat me to it with his beautiful Boxster .

Good luck with the waiting, its going to be very hard but the car is worth it.

We just completed some GT Silver accents on a Cocoa/GT Silver 997...have a look:

Hmmm..... that does look nice.

Hi guys - thanks so much for all your input. Thanks especially to the people who were kind enough to post photos.

I went to my dealer on Sunday and spent a good few hours checking everything out.

My final spec is now this:

Arctic silver with cocoa full leather interior
    635 ParkAssist (Not that noticeable and hopefully v useful)
    XLF Sports exhaust
    XTV Door trim in leather (Freak 2, thanks for posting the photo above!)
    342 Seat heating
    XSH Seat belts in silver grey (Saw them for real - I thought they look wonderful)
    XMP Sunvisors in leather (nicer than the leatherette standard ones)
    Floor mats (cocoa with silver grey edging as a Porsche Exclusive special order)
    670 PCM Navigation module (I'm not getting the Extended Navigation module - I think it's unneccessary)
    680 Bose sound system
    666 Telephone module for PCM (Not sure about this one - aren't bluetooth headset & mobile just as good?)
    Porsche Driving Experience (included in purchase price in UK)
    Porsche Exclusive: centre console storage bin lid in cocoa leather with 'Carrera S' logo
    New Road Angel
    Warranty extension

Full leather interior

I won't be getting:

XCZ Short shifter (IMO this is really notchy and stiff to operate. I did it for 5-10 minutes and my arm got tired. The guys here who prefer it must be much stronger than me or maybe they work out regularly. I prefer the silky smooth standard shifter).
    XZD Interior light surround in leather (Seems unnecessary and IMO adds v little cosmetically)
    Tequipment 911 fuel filler cap with aluminium look finish (IMO bit gimmicky since it's only painted plastic rather than metal and it's covered by the fuel flap anyway)
    Tequipment 911 Porsche Charge-o-mat II (I will be driving every few days so I don't think a flat battery will be a problem)

Re:

- iPod MOST connectivity (no further news regarding any system from Porsche or Dension iceLink Plus, however, I now have the names of various companies in London that will do a hardwire installation in the glove compartment. With mp3 CD in the PCM and with an iPod, I really don't need a CD autochanger anymore)
    - Digital DAB radio (I might get the in-car entertainment company to fit this for me too)
    - 671 Voice control for PCM (not available for the 911 yet. It's only available right now on the Cayenne. However, the dealer expressed his doubts saying the Mercedes Linguatronic system is not that reliable)

The dealer said 8 or 9 out of 10 new 997 cars they sell are 997S. V few non-S 997 cars being sold.

They had a GT silver Boxster there and numerous cars in Arctic. When I compared the 2 colours side by side, I liked Arctic much more. They had a seal grey 997 in the workshop - that looked lovely too)

The dealer is going to try to get a car from PCGB with -20mm for me to test drive. It might be from PCGB's press fleet. I need to compare PASM and -20mm sport suspension on the road and see which I prefer/can live with.

Aluminium dials: they look great - they've really grown on me. I not so keen on black dials anymore.

With cocoa interior, the brochure says that the rooflining is in black alcantara not cocoa alcantara. Does this look okay? Also, the sunvisors are in leatherette with a black film. What is this like? Should I get the sunvisors in cocoa leather instead? If so, I wonder what cocoa sunvisors will look like against black alcantara rooflining?

Eric (the plug guy), thanks so much for posting your photos. Very helpful and kind. Do you have any photos showing Arctic silver and cocoa?

Ente, you were right! Thanks! Cheapest quotation I could get was with Admiral who quoted me Pounds1022.

Yarub1, any chance you could post any pics - please?

Thanks for giving me encouragement about the wait. Yes, it's tough and I'm sure that as the day gets closer, the excitement will build and it will feel even more unbearable! But it's nice to know I'm not alone in feeling like this.

Very good specs now the agonising wait starts. I will gladly post some pics on Thursday (Sorry, I wont be able to do it before due to work commitment).

With GT Silver I would go for the Carrera Sport wheels, apart from that you look pretty much covered

Good luck!

Which dealer are you using?

I think I'm finally getting there...

Quote:
    JamesC said:

Which dealer are you using?

Thanks. I've been going to Porsche Centre East London so far. I found Porsche Centre Mayfair very helpful too. How about you? Any advice on which dealerships are more helpful and offer better customer service? More importantly, have any dealerships been prepared to offer you a discount? If so, on both the car and options too?

I'm tempted to bring forward my order to the end of February 2006 so that I can collect it from the factory in September 2006. The weather should be far better than in March 2007 so my wife and I might be able to drive from Stuttgart to Switzerland, Italy and France before heading home to London. If I collected the car in March 2007, I think Switzerland and Northern Italy might be covered in snow.

The main reasons I was delaying were insurance and iPod connection but I can solve both now so perhaps no need to delay so long.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776814 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441560 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262698 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260842 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85113 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5519 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880555 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815709 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM