Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997TT - New pics??

RC,

Porsche has made too many recent dissapointments.

But, if they have failed with the new Turbo, I suggest taking the new cure for PFQS - Porsche Forum Quaterback Syndrome off the market.

The Turbo is their signature halo car. If its a dud, then
    Weidiking should be stood up against a wall and the family
    should take back daily control of the company again.

Quote:
    RC said:Jim, I wish I could share your enthusiasm but I'm still a little bit suspicious. Porsche has already disappointed me with one or two things in the past, I hope this isn't the third one.

I think thr VGT will have a great performance advantage. My only concern is that they may have a few bugs to work through. Having moving parts in that environment (extremely hot with parts turning at incredible rotational velicity) could cause some reliability issues. Of course, it's all under warranty, but I hope there are no teething problems with that very cool new technology.

Quote:
    AndrewSS said:
    Has anyone seen any recent spy shots of the GT3? It sounds like we're disappointed with the new TT as a group...a few seem to like it but the majority are underwhelmed. I too am less than impressed. I've been considering either the TT or the GT3 but was leaning towards the TT...not anymore. I'll wait to see it but would love to see any additional shots of the new GT3 if anyone has them....thanks.

The GT3 will look very much like the Aerokit with only subtle styling changes - single central exhaust in the back and some extra vents on the rear engine lid. There are plenty of good pics of the aerokit floating around to give you a good enough idea. IMO, it's also overstyled. The MkII 996 GT3 was better looking. So far, I think only the 997(S) coupe, cab (especially the cab) and C4(S) are a big improvement in styling over the 996.

I agree. In fact, even the 996C4S was better than the 997C4S with the full-width red rear reflector...

Well, lets wait for the specs. Also, if PDK is not far behind, I am getting one. I already made my mind up for the GT silver but this car looks best in dark colors.

I hope we have more color choices with this one!

Quote:
    Grant said:
    I agree. In fact, even the 996C4S was better than the 997C4S with the full-width red rear reflector...

I never liked the 996 C4S because it always looked like a big fat Turbo-wannabee to me, sorry. And that red rear reflector, well...a matter of taste, not my thing either.

I really don't understand what all the fuzz is about: the new 997 Turbo looks in my opinion much better than expected. Compared to the somehow too clean and "good boy" design of the 997 Carrera models, it is some sort of a change, indicating to people outside: hello...here I'm coming. Sorry but maybe I'm biased because I had the chance to see the car in person but I still think that the pictures show pretty much the real thing, in all aspects.
    I really wonder what you guys expected? A 996 Turbo with round frontlights and a red reflector in the rear? C'mon guys, you can't be serious.

BUT: there is one single detail I don't like on the 997 Turbo, the exhaust pipes. I don't know...there is something missing, they're not really what I expected...too stylish.

The angularized rear tail pipes and their matching bumper openings look straight from a 90's Pontiac!

Why not just put TWO BIG bad ass pipes in the center!

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:

I never liked the 996 C4S because it always looked like a big fat Turbo-wannabee to me, sorry. And that red rear reflector, well...a matter of taste, not my thing either.

I really don't understand what all the fuzz is about: the new 997 Turbo looks in my opinion much better than expected. Compared to the somehow too clean and "good boy" design of the 997 Carrera models, it is some sort of a change, indicating to people outside: hello...here I'm coming. Sorry but maybe I'm biased because I had the chance to see the car in person but I still think that the pictures show pretty much the real thing, in all aspects.
    I really wonder what you guys expected? A 996 Turbo with round frontlights and a red reflector in the rear? C'mon guys, you can't be serious.

BUT: there is one single detail I don't like on the 997 Turbo, the exhaust pipes. I don't know...there is something missing, they're not really what I expected...too stylish.

RC... normally I don't talk about what I do for a living RC but in this case I will. I am a designer who owns a computer animation/graphics company.
    The design is very poor. Lacks fluidity and looks like it was pieced together by a boy racer. The cheap Toyota MR2 side vents still really bother me.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Sorry but maybe I'm biased because I had the chance to see the car in person...

No, you're biased because you ordered one.

No offence here, that's just logical and human. It's human that you defend something, you made your mind up for, that you will get for yourself and for what you will spend your money. Your brain tells you "Yes, I made the right decision" (and you surely did BTW ) and so you argue like you do.

As far as I'm concerned, the thing I like about the standard 997 is exactly that, what you've called "clean design" of the 997. I like its pure and simple lines, which make it recognisable as an 911 at once but without being too sleek as its predecessor. And I like the way it reminds me of the great "clean design" of the 993.

To each his own.

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:

The design is very poor. Lacks fluidity and looks like it was pieced together by a boy racer. The cheap Toyota MR2 side vents still really bother me.

Well, its not much of a design to begin with. Basically, its a 996tt with a radical front and rear facsia.

Their attempt was basically to draw attention away from the fact that the body was nearly identical to the 996tt. The most ecomnical way to that is to change the front and rear plactic fascias.

Quote:
    RC said:Sorry but maybe I'm biased because I had the chance to see the car in person but I still think that the pictures show pretty much the real thing, in all aspects.

I think that's key here RC. You've seen it in person, and sometimes, pics and in person are 2 different stories. We should all temper our comments with that limitation. My comments are simply based on a few poor quality pics.

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    Overall, I think that where the 997 was an improvement over the 996 in style, this is a step back. I actually prefer the look of a (lowered) 996TT. This 997TT is overstyled. Period.

AGREED! Overstyled to the max, however I must see it in person before I make any further judgement.. that's just my initial reaction, and gawd those round molded foglights are reminding me of something you would see on a body mod kit for some wannabe 4 cylinder street racer

Jeez, are we going through the 'Oh noes, it looks like a 911 evolution' thing again?
    It's been this way for FOURTY-FIVE YEARS people, don't you think it's time to get used to it?

Does anyone know how many people are on the waiting list at the two San Diego dealers? Thinking of adding my name to the list but won't if it means a two year wait.

Quote:
    Blk987S said:
    Does anyone know how many people are on the waiting list at the two San Diego dealers? Thinking of adding my name to the list but won't if it means a two year wait.

Well there are "hard" deposits and there are "soft" deposits. I think I just got #11 in a Bay area dealership, but suspect I will have less than 10 people before me. Many more people will put down a deposit than those who will actually order the thing. There are always people who drop out for one reason or another. Some dealers don't require a whole lot as a deposit ($1000.), and I expect that they will have even more drop outs. Frankly, I chose a dealer with more people before me, but less of a deposit. Why? Because I figured more people were not as serious about staying in the game (among other reasons - I also chose the more reliable dealer),

The 997TT should look like a beast: mean , nasty and somewhat handsome too. I was expecting something less aggressive, which would have been a mistake - so this is a very pleasant surprise. Based on these few pictures, I think Porsche hit the mark. Seeing it in real life will change a lot of hearts and minds, IMO. The true beauty of this car is how it'll kick butt!

And the Silver rocks baby!

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    The 997TT should look like a beast: mean , nasty and somewhat handsome too. I was expecting something less aggressive, which would have been a mistake - so this is a very pleasant surprise. Based on these few pictures, I think Porsche hit the mark. Seeing it in real life will change a lot of hearts and minds, IMO. The true beauty of this car is how it'll kick butt!

On board with you there SVNSVN! The 911Turbo ain't supposed to be a pretty boy, so obsession about the size and shape of the exhaust pipes, the location of the foglamps, and all the intakes disturbing the graceful lines of the Carrera is misplaced. The Turbo is supposed to say "F-You" when it drives by. If you want to custom build your dream-911Turbo body, then give Henrik Fisker a phone call.

I am really suprised to read all these negative comments about the look. What did you really expect to see? I bet we would have heard the same commments without the fog light. Come on guys, grow up. As someone said earlier the PWR/SPEC is the key here and the look you will get used to it like everything else. If the PWR is in 460 to 480HP range the game is over and time to look at something else.

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    I am really suprised to read all these negative comments about the look. What did you really expect to see? I bet we would have heard the same commments without the fog light. Come on guys, grow up. As someone said earlier the PWR/SPEC is the key here and the look you will get used to it like everything else. If the PWR is in 460 to 480HP range the game is over and time to look at something else.

...if PWR/SPEC is all we were interested in then we'd all go out and buy a Z06. Get real.
    Any vehicle priced in its range should not look like a kit car.
    Man I wish I had a few of you on our client list... you guys will buy anything.

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    ...if PWR/SPEC is all we were interested in then we'd all go out and buy a Z06. Get real.
    Any vehicle priced in its range should not look like a kit car.
    Man I wish I had a few of you on our client list... you guys will buy anything.

Although I don't care much about design, I agree: in this price range, such a car has to be special.
    But I don't see how the 997 Turbo would look like a kit car, honestly. Like I said before: wait until you see this thing in front of you, LIVE. I bet some of you won't know how to pull out their checkbooks fast enough. And don't say I didn't warn you: only a few cars make it to customers before the summer factory shutdown and there won't be too many available for the first model year either I suppose. So be clever, get in line, otherwise you may end up paying a premium for a "kit car".

Just spoke agian with my friend in Germany... Preview will be in AMS or AutoZeitung few weeks before Geneva. They are very mad(at Porsche) because these pics! My friend works at Porsche so he knows little bit...
    750Nm is little bit to much he said(even VTG can not do miracles), point is excellente throttle response.

Quote:
    Branimir said:
    Just spoke agian with my friend in Germany... Preview will be in AMS or AutoZeitung few weeks before Geneva. They are very mad(at Porsche) because these pics! My friend works at Porsche so he knows little bit...
    750Nm is little bit to much he said(even VTG can not do miracles), point is excellente throttle response.

I don't get it. How can Porsche be angry about the Pics when they are driving around un-camoed, in the open - during the day! Surely they arent so silly to think that someone will not snap a quick couple of pics of the thing and post them on the net?

They aren't angry at all . This has been 100% planned.... Easy pickings, it's also a great way to put out some initial 'feelers' on the design.

Quote:
    mish said:
    They aren't angry at all . This has been 100% planned.... Easy pickings, it's also a great way to put out some initial 'feelers' on the design.

I agree 100%. Porsche knew exactly what they were doing.
    This is just a way for them to get a feel of what the hardcore freak Porsche fans (us ) think of the initial design. Not that they can change anything anyway.
    But no doubt here that Porsche expected those pics on the web.

I like the design but I'm not blown away, like I was (and still am) with the 993TT, though, Porsche would really have to do it's best to create something prettier then the 993.
    So you could say, I'm happy with the design, it's certainly no disappointment!
    The exhaust-tips however, are!
    The look a bit upside-down to me!
    Why no quad pipes like a 993TTS, would look a lot better IMO

Like this

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    mish said:

I agree 100%. Porsche knew exactly what they were doing.
    This is just a way for them to get a feel of what the hardcore freak Porsche fans (us ) think of the initial design. Not that they can change anything anyway.
    But no doubt here that Porsche expected those pics on the web.

Absolutely,

And for the Turbo buyer who feels the need to pimp his Porsche, there's always the aftermarket.

Now if only we could get not just "still shots" of the 997TT, but actual video clips of the cars in hard driving.

Now that I had almost couple days to look at the pictures I can say that the design is nice and subtle. The front fog lights don't bother me much but the exhuast pipes and the side vents need some getting used to for me. Overall I am not disappointed with the design.

You guys remember when 997 came out many of us crticized the simple design, nothing aggresive about it and blah blah blah. Now that Porsche is showing some almost after market-like Gemballa-like/TechArt-like body design we all complain again. I personally think this new 997TT desing will sell very well in the U.S. particularly in the West coast.

But again Porsche was never known for their 'blown away' designs (besides CGT and a few other old models), in the performance department though they always delivered 'blown away' performance and handling.

997TT won't be an exception it'll blow away the competition without a doubt .

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    ...if PWR/SPEC is all we were interested in then we'd all go out and buy a Z06.

Good luck getting you hands on one of those bad boys, you can't even find them anywhere. A about a month ago I saw one at a dealer they were asking 7k over MSRP now anywhere I see Mag. ads and couple luxury dealers in Houston they're asking minimum of 10k o 15k over MSRP, if you find one.

Agree with you Fanch! Maybe they wanted to pump-up waiting lists all over the world...
    Anyway, I am happy to wait for my 997S(X51,PCCB,-20mm/LSD etc.) till March.
    I will go to Geneva to see the beast in person and if my response will be I will put myself on the list for 2007 model year.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777516 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441816 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262820 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261028 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85297 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5600 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880712 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816108 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM