Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Cayenne V6??

I would like some opinions and input...
    Does Cayenne V6(250hp) makes any sence? My dealer offered to me Cayenne V6-8months old, 16000km, tiptronic, leather and all other equipment(except navi) for very good price.
    But, test drive was huge disappointment... It is much slower than Cayenne S and it allmost felt underpowered to me.
    On the other hand my wife was pleased with it. She feels that it is very good winter car and that we should buy it.
    Ok, I ordered 997S coupe(March 2006 delivery) so she may have a point but, I can go for allmost new ML500 for little bit more money...
    What to do?

Re: Cayenne V6??

I have the V6. I test drove it first, and was very impressed, then I drove the V8. No doubt more power, but for me this is my all weather vehicle. The 6 was fine and worth the 10k + savings.

Power/fuel consumption seems adequate for city driving and IMHO probably snow/winter driving especially when one does not want too much power to spin the tires and lose traction.
    My mum drives the V6 as well, perhaps that's about all the power she'll ever need.
    Take care

It's a very heavy SUV.
    The Cayenne S feels somewhat under-powered. I can't imagine what the V6 would feel like.

Branimir - keep this a secret : ) There will be new V6 out soon with a 3.4 engine and just the right amount of power - the current car is a bit slow for most Porsche fans and PAG know it and will address it soon!

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    It's a very heavy SUV.
    The Cayenne S feels somewhat under-powered. I can't imagine what the V6 would feel like.

I was amused today when I read a review for the Toyota 4WD V-6 RAV4 SUV in Car and Driver magazine. It does 0-60 MPH in 6.3 seconds. It costs $24,000. The $57,200 Cayenne S takes 6.8 seconds. If Porsche is going to charge the big bucks they need to make sure that they are not only the best performer in their class, but they for sure should be able to out perform SUV's several levels below them. The Cayenne V6 is even more embarassing with 0-60 performance of 9.1 seconds with the tip.

Phil

I tried VW Toureg W12(450hp) today... Now, that's really something! It is as fast as Cayenne Turbo. Yes, it is VW but, with W12 engine it is at top of the class(but, IMO too expensive since it is VW!).

Quote:
    PS CA said:

I was amused today when I read a review for the Toyota 4WD V-6 RAV4 SUV in Car and Driver magazine. It does 0-60 MPH in 6.3 seconds.....

Phil

I get a fair amount of amusement from folks calling the RAV4 (and similar vehicles) an "SUV." While I also personally prefer a faster ride than the Cayenne or the Cayenne S, and voted with my wallet to get such, it is simply not appropriate to compare these apples and oranges. While what you describe is impressive acceleration for that price and (assumed) Toyota reliability, I could spend a few thousand at the local custom shop on hopping up a Subaru 4x4 station wagon and have a vehicle that would do a more than respectable 0-60, would kick the stuffing out of a RAV4 on any slalom or road course, and be more worthy of the term SUV than the RAV4. Porsche, Toyota and others are simply proving that everything is a compromise when it comes to combining price, quality, creature comforts, reliability, off-road capability, acceleration, handling, etc., etc., etc. Each of us places a different priority on each of these factors, and if there was a vehicle close to the CTT, but with Lexus service and reliability, I wouldn't be on this forum (sorry, guys, but the only Porsche I'm wedded to is the 911; my CTT is "just another compromise"). We all "pays our money and takes our chances" on the factors most important to us, and the RAV4 just doesn't have enough of those factors to be considered together with ANY of the Cayenne family, IMHO.

Quote:
    sigs said:

I get a fair amount of amusement from folks calling the RAV4 (and similar vehicles) an "SUV." While I also personally prefer a faster ride than the Cayenne or the Cayenne S, and voted with my wallet to get such, it is simply not appropriate to compare these apples and oranges. While what you describe is impressive acceleration for that price and (assumed) Toyota reliability, I could spend a few thousand at the local custom shop on hopping up a Subaru 4x4 station wagon and have a vehicle that would do a more than respectable 0-60, would kick the stuffing out of a RAV4 on any slalom or road course, and be more worthy of the term SUV than the RAV4. Porsche, Toyota and others are simply proving that everything is a compromise when it comes to combining price, quality, creature comforts, reliability, off-road capability, acceleration, handling, etc., etc., etc. Each of us places a different priority on each of these factors, and if there was a vehicle close to the CTT, but with Lexus service and reliability, I wouldn't be on this forum (sorry, guys, but the only Porsche I'm wedded to is the 911; my CTT is "just another compromise"). We all "pays our money and takes our chances" on the factors most important to us, and the RAV4 just doesn't have enough of those factors to be considered together with ANY of the Cayenne family, IMHO.

I didn't mean to compare the RAV to the Cayenne in any way except straight line performance. Porsche is known for performance vehicles, end of story. The Cayenne and the Cayenne S are, in my opinion, major disappointments in the performance department. The V6 is VERY slow and the Cayenne S doesn't set the world on fire. The Turbo is the only model that really performs well. And upcoming models from other manufacturers may knock the turbo from the top spot.

Cayennes may out handle much of the competition around a track, but with their slow acceleration the competition will be so far in front of them initially it may take a while for the Porsche to catch up.

You can beat me up for my nagging about the 0 to 60 numbers and remind me that there is more to performance than just those numbers. But, I spend most of my time at the 997 forum and if the upcoming 997 turbo isn't faster 0 to 60 than some other competitors there are going to be a bunch of disappointed potential turbo owners.

As I have said over and over, if you are going to charge more than everyone else for your SUV it should be better in all regards. I would think the Porsche is superior to most in the following areas; overall handling and off road capabilities. I think the Porsche is worse than many in the following areas: straight line acceleration (Cayenne and Cayenne S) and reliability. I know you can, with after market parts, tweak many of the competitors vehicles to be faster, so there will always be a potentially faster SUV out there. I am only comparing factory built vehicles.

I obviously wasn't comparing the RAV to the Cayenne overall. All I said was that I was amused a vehicle at the bottom of the "SUV"(1) world could beat both the Cayenne and Cayenne S in acceleration.

(1) Toyota actually calls the RAV a "Recreational Active Vehicle"

Phil

Agree with you 100% on the 997 Turbo comments, and with RC's on-the-money discourse about what Porsche could/should/"darn-well-better" do about power availiability in the 997TT on that forum. I also agree that I would have liked to see more power in the Cayenne line-up, especially for the price.

Was just poking a little fun at your use of the term "SUV" in reference to the RAV4, as the loose definition of SUV is amusing to those of us who spent good portions of our youth trying to dig the Broncos and LandCruisers of old out of places we shouldn't have tried to put them. I know that Toyota coined the term "RAV," which BMW, to it's credit, has modified to "SAV" for the X5 and X3, though most customers continue to lump them all as SUVs. Many other manufacturers are less honest in their marketing, meeting the lowest common denominator of public understanding.

I disagree that, if your price is higher than others, your product should be better in EVERY respect. Perhaps it should be better in MOST respects, but people buy lots of Porsches of all flavors that, in cold analysis, really aren't worth the money and clearly aren't better than all lower priced competitors in every respect.

Many folks buy them just for the Porsche name and cache. Others think that just having one will make them race drivers and, perhaps, irresistable to the opposite sex. Hopefully, most buy them for the same reason I bought my CTT, - because they think the overall package is the best compromise for them, - and clearly those folks are those for whom "value for the money" is not the key factor.

I still applaud P for sticking to its guns and making a "real SUV." My fear is that the 0-60 race will force P to dilute its abilities to keep up with the Joneses, but I realize they have to meet market demand, and your assessment is probably closer to reality than mine. Alas, while you may bemoan the fact that P didn't make the Cayenne faster because the soccer moms will buy it anyway, I fear I may someday be whining that they "neutered" its off-road ability because the "real Porsche people" wanted more speed, the soccer moms didn't need it anyway, and it was a good way to shave weight and cost.

Just my 2 cents. Worth less than that.

Cheers.

Quote:
    sigs said:
    I still applaud P for sticking to its guns and making a "real SUV." My fear is that the 0-60 race will force P to dilute its abilities to keep up with the Joneses, but I realize they have to meet market demand, and your assessment is probably closer to reality than mine. Alas, while you may bemoan the fact that P didn't make the Cayenne faster because the soccer moms will buy it anyway, I fear I may someday be whining that they "neutered" its off-road ability because the "real Porsche people" wanted more speed, the soccer moms didn't need it anyway, and it was a good way to shave weight and cost.

You are right about the Cayenne being amongst the best when it comes to handling, both on-road and off-road. Of course that is the essence of Porsche. And in their quest to make it an excellent off-roader they apparently had to make it very strong.....and VERY heavy. While researching the Cayenne and reading several reviews, one of the complaints I read about over and over, was complaining about how heavy it was.

I have owned 4 Porsches and realize that they have always sold a package of excellent handling (in the right hands for older 911's) combined with adequate acceleration.

Perhaps the Cayenne is just following this tradition. I just feel that they should not have settled for the performance provided by the tweaked Audi V6. Maybe I am spoiled since I have a garage full of cars with better than average performance. My wife and I were able to take a Cayenne S out for a hour test drive. We were both disappointed with the lack of any feeling of real power from the 340 HP engine. Since it is just 15 HP less than my 997S I guess I expected more. I know the Cayenne weighs a heck of lot more than my 997, but I have driven other cars that were also quite heavy like a 302 HP S500 Mercedes and a 302 HP ML500 that felt a lot quicker and more responsive. At one point I was driving the Cayenne S going about 50 MPH when I pushed the accelerator to the floor. Since the car was already rolling I thought the weight should be less of a factor than when starting from a stop. I wasn't impressed with 50 to 70 MPH.

I did later take a Turbo out for a drive and I nailed it as I rolled up to a signal that had just changed...I was 15 MPH to 65 MPH within seconds. I almost felt the effect of G forces.

I am still pretty interested in the Cayenne. I have a deposit at my dealer for a Turbo S. Whether I end up purchasing one or not depends on the pricing and the goodies that come with the Turbo S. I haven't heard any rumors on the pricing other than the fellow who posted here about the price in Britain. If I use that price to try to determine what they will cost here, the Cayenne Turbo S comes out to about $105,000.

So my summary.....you have to buy the Turbo to get any degree of straight line performance.

Phil

All good points. Since my daily driving includes few curves, I suppose my IDEAL compromise would have been for more gusto and a little less handling, but that really wasn't available in a combo that would still crawl over anything bigger than a curb. BTW, just for comparison's sake, what IS the weight on the ML500? My test drive found it peppier than my old ML, but not dramatically so, - but that's one drive of one vehicle. I would assume that one cannot extrapolate the oft-quoted sports car generalization that 100 more lbs means 0.1 sec more 0-60 time into the 4500-5500 lb range, but the extra weight of the Cayenne (and where it is in the drive train) have to make a notable difference. Perhaps the torque curve and the new MB transmission make the rest??

Quote:
    sigs said:
    BTW, just for comparison's sake, what IS the weight on the ML500?

According to the Mercedes brochure the curb weight is 4743# for the ML500. According to the Porsche brochure the curb weight for the Cayenne is 4784#, Cayenne S is 4949# and the Turbo is 5192#.

For comparison I tried to get the weight for the upcoming ML63. On the German AMG website they list an "unloaded" weight of 5092#. I don't know if that is the same as curb weight.

Phil

Thanks to all!
    Yesterday I gas a chance to try new ML500(with offroad and sport option) and it was a lot faster then Cayenne. But, it was also faster then Cayenne S! As RC corectly said weight is the Cayenne problem... New VW Touareg W12 is as fast as Cayenne turbo but, with excellente throttle response(non-turbo 6L big W12, I guess!). Only problem is that it is a VW and a very expensive one...

Quote:
    Branimir said:
    Thanks to all!
    Yesterday I gas a chance to try new ML500(with offroad and sport option) and it was a lot faster then Cayenne. But, it was also faster then Cayenne S! As RC corectly said weight is the Cayenne problem...

Weight is a problem with the Cayenne, BUT it might be an even bigger problem with the new ML. A mag over here recently tested the ML 350. Actual wheigt of the truck was 2422 kg!! MB claims 2140 kg....

Quote:
    426h said:
    Weight is a problem with the Cayenne, BUT it might be an even bigger problem with the new ML. A mag over here recently tested the ML 350. Actual wheigt of the truck was 2422 kg!! MB claims 2140 kg....

The ML might be heavy also, but since I have driven both the 340 HP Cayenne S and the 302 HP ML500, I can tell you the ML is much more responsive. The Cayenne feels slugish while the ML felt peppy. Why would a vehicle with 38 less horsepower feel so much more alive? The 0 to 60 numbers prove what I am saying.

Also, I have read several articles that claim that Cayennes weigh much more than Porsche shows in their specs. Porsche shows a curb weight of 5192# for the Turbo in their brochure. Car & Driver magazine said the actual curb weight of the Cayenne Turbo was 5724#.

I feel pretty confident that any Cayenne weighs more than any ML.

Phil

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777119 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441667 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262765 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260936 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85190 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5561 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880635 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815896 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM