Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

4WD and Understeer

I've never driven a 4WD car. Many posts seem to imply that there is an understeer problem with 4WD. I'm thinking that having the front wheels pull you in the direction you're steering would reduce understeer. Can anyone explain?

Re: 4WD and Understeer

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    I've never driven a 4WD car. Many posts seem to imply that there is an understeer problem with 4WD. I'm thinking that having the front wheels pull you in the direction you're steering would reduce understeer. Can anyone explain?

I do not believe that a 4WD car PER SE causes an "understeer problem," HOWEVER, for 2 otherwise similar cars (e.g., a 911Carrera2 versus a 911Turbo with AWD, both rear-engined and thus slightly rear weight-biased), while the 911Turbo is also slightly heavier (partly due to its turbo's, cooling system and air intake pathways) compared to the RWD Carrera2, it is also relatively more front-weight biased (or at least less rear weight-biased) compared to the C2, since the former has a heavier front transaxle to power, as well as turn, the front wheels. This relative front-weight bias, I believe, increases the front slip angle relative to the rear slip angle of the Turbo versus that of the Carrera2, since the slip angle increases with increased weight (front and rear) carried over each axle. Slip angle is the tendency of the front or rear of the car to "twist" from centrifugal force, during turns-intentional and unintentional -and greater sprung mass over the individual axle/wheels (front-versus-rear) increases this slip angle for a given centrifugal force-of course, all else being equal-similar suspension setups, for example). In addition, a car with a given low polar moment ( ), as well as given center-of-gravity, will influence the slip angle for a given centrifugal force. This is also why front-engined cars (most cars on the road) are so understeer-prone versus rear-(and mid-)engined cars-like the 911, even though the 911Turbo (and C4) with AWD is slightly less OVERsteer-prone than is the C2. BUT this relative decrease in oversteer versus the C2 does NOT mean the AWD 911Turbo is significantly understeer-prone.

I have a 996 C4S and it is my first Porsche. It is also the only Porsche I've ever driven. I do however like to push my car, esp in corners, and I do experience understeer occassionaly, more so in the wet, obviously. When I sense the car understeering in the wet or dry, I let off the gas trying not to brake, and the front wheels quickly recatch. I don't know about others, but having 4WD/AWD, I have experienced understeer

Thanks for your comments Al. My gut feeling was that having a little extra weight in front would help grip. Imagine how little the car would turn if there were zero weight on the front wheels. Also, I assumed that having the front wheels pulling you in the direction you were turning would offset any disadvantages. As far as front wheel drive cars understeering, I don't recall seeing a front wheel drive car with much bigger tires in front than in back, the reverse of the 911, to compensate for the extra weight. I think that would help cure the problem but most front wheel drive cars are not designed for ultimate handling.

A tire has a maximum amount of friction it can produce. It can produce this friction in a longitudinal way (acceleration or braking) or a lateral way (turning). If the tire is being asked to produce longitudinal and lateral acceration at the same time, it can produce less of each type of acceleration compared to when it is asked to produce only one type.

Since an AWD car is asking its front wheels to provide forward acceration as well as lateral (turning), it cannot turn-in in SOME situations as well as a RWD car while accelerating.

Like Al Pettee says - Porsches are rear biased so 4WD should actually be helpful in cornering although slightly slower in straight lines. See www.track-challenge.com and compare the Hockenheim? times of the 996 C2 and C4 - as Hockenheim? is a small track, the C4 won due to faster cornering speed but was slower on the Nurburgring due to the straights.

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:

I do not believe that a 4WD car PER SE causes an "understeer problem," HOWEVER, for 2 otherwise similar cars (e.g., a 911Carrera2 versus a 911Turbo with AWD, both rear-engined and thus slightly rear weight-biased), while the 911Turbo is also slightly heavier (partly due to its turbo's, cooling system and air intake pathways) compared to the RWD Carrera2, it is also relatively more front-weight biased (or at least less rear weight-biased) compared to the C2, since the former has a heavier front transaxle to power, as well as turn, the front wheels. This relative front-weight bias, I believe, increases the front slip angle relative to the rear slip angle of the Turbo versus that of the Carrera2, since the slip angle increases with increased weight (front and rear) carried over each axle. Slip angle is the tendency of the front or rear of the car to "twist" from centrifugal force, during turns-intentional and unintentional -and greater sprung mass over the individual axle/wheels (front-versus-rear) increases this slip angle for a given centrifugal force-of course, all else being equal-similar suspension setups, for example). In addition, a car with a given low polar moment ( ), as well as given center-of-gravity, will influence the slip angle for a given centrifugal force. This is also why front-engined cars (most cars on the road) are so understeer-prone versus rear-(and mid-)engined cars-like the 911, even though the 911Turbo (and C4) with AWD is slightly less OVERsteer-prone than is the C2. BUT this relative decrease in oversteer versus the C2 does NOT mean the AWD 911Turbo is significantly understeer-prone.

Al sums it up nicely. as an ex c4 owner and now longtime tt ownwer, i think that understeer with the latter is less of a problem than with the c4. this has also to to do with the applicable power IMO, the turbo has such thrust that you are thankful for the 4wd especially in the wet. just did some corners last week in italy on the wet sliding over all four wheels, it's just brilliant! or if you take monza for example the 4wd really helps you in the corners after the chicanes, you can bslide the car really nicely in third and even fourth. you certainly can do this with a gt2 as well, but i dont know if my skills would be up to it... i'd actually be very curious to try a gallrdo on the racetrack in the wet to understand if it inspires the same confidence as the tt..

I have to say that my 997 C4S -20mm hardly manifests any understeer. The 997 C4 understeers less then the 996 C4 and the 997 C4 - 20mm understeers even less then the 997 C4...
    I must admit that I only have 1700km on it, lots on the highway so I still need some more testing.....

997 is a whole different car in terms of under/over steering biasing. Porsche took care of the complaints on this issue...On the 996 this issue exists, it's real, the car was designed this way but it can be addressed easily. This understeer biasing if even more noticeable (and annoying) on the track. Meanwhile for those of you who don't want to spend money on their cars just use 33front and 39rear psi of tyre pressure and drive with full tank and this will dial out 50%of the understeer depending on the tyre brand...

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    I have to say that my 997 C4S -20mm hardly manifests any understeer. The 997 C4 understeers less then the 996 C4 and the 997 C4 - 20mm understeers even less then the 997 C4...
    I must admit that I only have 1700km on it, lots on the highway so I still need some more testing.....

They completely re-did the front suspension and used thinner anti-roll bars, etc.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    A tire has a maximum amount of friction it can produce. It can produce this friction in a longitudinal way (acceleration or braking) or a lateral way (turning). If the tire is being asked to produce longitudinal and lateral acceration at the same time, it can produce less of each type of acceleration compared to when it is asked to produce only one type.

Since an AWD car is asking its front wheels to provide forward acceration as well as lateral (turning), it cannot turn-in in SOME situations as well as a RWD car while accelerating.

Grant's explanation is how it's always been explained to me, also. And having owned all of the following: 996 C2; 996 C4; 996 Turbo; and 997 S--no question they all tend to understeer and the AWD tend to understeer more when trying to turn in under power at the track and such. But when you're not placing demands on the tires, that tax the available friction, it isn't an issue.

I dunno guys, I have a C4S which I push very hard at some of the fastest tracks around here, before I did the X73 I experienced some understeer, since I've done it understeer is almost nonexhistant (with sport cups). Maybe a TT is more prone bc of more power and a little more weight?

Quote:
    C4S Surgeon said:
    I dunno guys, I have a C4S which I push very hard at some of the fastest tracks around here, before I did the X73 I experienced some understeer, since I've done it understeer is almost nonexhistant (with sport cups). Maybe a TT is more prone bc of more power and a little more weight?

My Turbo understeered a bit before X73, but the suspension upgrade basically eliminated it. The suspension and alignment settings play a big role in the amount of understeer present.

Concerning the front wheels being driven in an AWD Porsche...at turn-in under throttle the front tires shouldn't normally be set instantaneously to maximum lateral grip, so "powering" the wheels and asking for lateral grip at the same time should not be a performance issue on turn entry.

Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    Quote:
    C4S Surgeon said:

My Turbo understeered a bit before X73, but the suspension upgrade basically eliminated it. The suspension and alignment settings play a big role in the amount of understeer present.

Concerning the front wheels being driven in an AWD Porsche...at turn-in under throttle the front tires shouldn't normally be set instantaneously to maximum lateral grip, so "powering" the wheels and asking for lateral grip at the same time should not be a performance issue on turn entry.

Yes-very imnportant point: When discussing understeer and comparing RWD to AWD cars, more than just the drivetrain determines the amount of understeer, and suspension changes can significantly increase or decrease this for RWD and AWD cars. And some AWD cars can have less understeer than some RWD cars (even when both are rear-engined like the 911C4 and 911C2) based on suspension geometry alone.

Also on the 911C4 and 911TT, the AWD (and specifically FWD contribution) is variable of course, according to rear-wheel slip, even though weight bias is unchanged.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776790 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441547 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262694 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260836 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85105 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5514 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880547 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815680 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM