Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New MB GL-Class Unveiled

Thx Ron for the link. IMHO the old G class is going to be a tough act to follow personality-wise.

Thx Ron for the link. IMHO the old G class is going to be a tough act to follow personality-wise.

Quote:
    ha said:

They aren't discontinuing the G class. The GL will be in addition to it. Here is what they said;

"It is not for nothing that the model designation echoes the legendary precursor of all Mercedes-Benz off-road vehicles - the G-Class. The evergreen off-roader is now entering its 26th year of production and will continue to be marketed alongside the new GL-Class."

Phil

Quote:
    ha said:

They aren't discontinuing the G class. The GL will be in addition to it. Here is what they said;

"It is not for nothing that the model designation echoes the legendary precursor of all Mercedes-Benz off-road vehicles - the G-Class. The evergreen off-roader is now entering its 26th year of production and will continue to be marketed alongside the new GL-Class."

Phil

Quote:
    ha said:

I agree the G-class has a timeless design that can't really be substitute with anything new.

Quote:
    ha said:

I agree the G-class has a timeless design that can't really be substitute with anything new.

Cover the headlights and grill, and it sure looks like a Grand Cherokee or some kinda generic mid-market Japanese SUV design from about 5 years ago. It's for the R-class ( same underpinnings ) passenger hauling needs w/o that vehicle's minivan vibe .Also, stay far away from anything built in Alabama with it's obligatory politically correct high content US sourced flimsy componentry . Ask me how I know .
    I'll take the 7 seater Audi Q7 with the optional S-Line trim as shown below , thank you very much .

Cover the headlights and grill, and it sure looks like a Grand Cherokee or some kinda generic mid-market Japanese SUV design from about 5 years ago. It's for the R-class ( same underpinnings ) passenger hauling needs w/o that vehicle's minivan vibe .Also, stay far away from anything built in Alabama with it's obligatory politically correct high content US sourced flimsy componentry . Ask me how I know .
    I'll take the 7 seater Audi Q7 with the optional S-Line trim as shown below , thank you very much .

About as "fresh and exciting" to look at as it's visual twin , a 3 year old Mitsubishi Endeavor :

About as "fresh and exciting" to look at as it's visual twin , a 3 year old Mitsubishi Endeavor :

Quote:
    MKW said:

What were they thinking? Now that poor Mitsu driver will constantly be mistaken for driving a POS Benz

Quote:
    MKW said:

What were they thinking? Now that poor Mitsu driver will constantly be mistaken for driving a POS Benz

Yeah - your $85K check to MBZ will give you the pleasure of deflecting parking lot small talk with all the " other " Endeavor owners .

Yeah - your $85K check to MBZ will give you the pleasure of deflecting parking lot small talk with all the " other " Endeavor owners .

The Audi Q7 is no beauty queen either! As Clarkson says, the exaggerated Audi front grill looks like George Michaels beard.

German car designers have lost their minds with this generation of cartoonish, jacked up, heavy AWD station wagons.

The uglier they make them, the higher the price they ask.
    That joke has to end some time.

The Audi Q7 is no beauty queen either! As Clarkson says, the exaggerated Audi front grill looks like George Michaels beard.

German car designers have lost their minds with this generation of cartoonish, jacked up, heavy AWD station wagons.

The uglier they make them, the higher the price they ask.
    That joke has to end some time.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

The new Audi gapemouth family grill looks fantastic. All their cars are so " in your f*ing face " aggressive now , vs that quaint old schoolmarm ( as driven by three teachers at my daughter's school ) safe rectangular grill that hadn't changed since my first Audis 20-25 years ago. ! Funny how the very people ( auto writers ) who should be pulling their readers along into the future are usually pandering ( to keep average readership placated per their publishers ?) to the status quo contingent . You never see that in the fashion or architecture journals

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

The new Audi gapemouth family grill looks fantastic. All their cars are so " in your f*ing face " aggressive now , vs that quaint old schoolmarm ( as driven by three teachers at my daughter's school ) safe rectangular grill that hadn't changed since my first Audis 20-25 years ago. ! Funny how the very people ( auto writers ) who should be pulling their readers along into the future are usually pandering ( to keep average readership placated per their publishers ?) to the status quo contingent . You never see that in the fashion or architecture journals

Sorry, but I dont read fashion mags. Architecture mags, yes.

The Audi grill was seen before on the 1962 Studebaker Lark and on the current model Chrysler 300.

Surely, those oh so clever Audi designers could have designed a new style grille that is not a homage to a frat house barf bucket.

And why o why did Mercedes Benz designers rip off the C pillar from a 60's Jeep Grand Wagoneer for the GST class?

Have Germans designers ran out of original ideas?

Sorry, but I dont read fashion mags. Architecture mags, yes.

The Audi grill was seen before on the 1962 Studebaker Lark and on the current model Chrysler 300.

Surely, those oh so clever Audi designers could have designed a new style grille that is not a homage to a frat house barf bucket.

And why o why did Mercedes Benz designers rip off the C pillar from a 60's Jeep Grand Wagoneer for the GST class?

Have Germans designers ran out of original ideas?

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

That's what you get when they take their design cues from Detroit products.

We have to count ourselves lucky those same designers apparently never saw the first-generation Pontiac Aztec.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

We have to count ourselves lucky those same designers apparently never saw the first-generation Pontiac Aztec.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

So. Poor taste is the new national excuse of Germany?

Before it was "I was only following orders" now is it
    "I saw this before in the Detroit News archives" ?

A few Pontiac Aztecs in Germany might actually HELP now!

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

So. Poor taste is the new national excuse of Germany?

Before it was "I was only following orders" now is it
    "I saw this before in the Detroit News archives" ?

A few Pontiac Aztecs in Germany might actually HELP now!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    The Audi grill was seen before on the 1962 Studebaker Lark

My much older sister drove a blue '62 Studebaker Lark - the brochures and sales documents from Slavich Brothers MBZ in Fresno are still in her old bedroom desk at our parent's house ! Must be why I like the new Audi grill - she used to take me in that car to buy toys on weekends.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    The Audi grill was seen before on the 1962 Studebaker Lark

My much older sister drove a blue '62 Studebaker Lark - the brochures and sales documents from Slavich Brothers MBZ in Fresno are still in her old bedroom desk at our parent's house ! Must be why I like the new Audi grill - she used to take me in that car to buy toys on weekends.

My 96 4Runner Limited looks better.

My 96 4Runner Limited looks better.

Quote:
    MKW said:

I still prefer the more traditional understated Audi grill, in my case, here is my 2005 S4 I picked up last winter, with chrome grill with just a "hint" of the more dramatic trapezoid to come. Sorry for the slightly out-of-focus pic, I ran outside from my office in the cold Arctic air to take the pic before sundown, and I was shaking holding the camera.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778105 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442042 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262948 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261200 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85464 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5701 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880866 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816466 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM